Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:29:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'  (Read 43606 times)
overmatik
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »

Off-topic mode on
What the fuck are you guys talking about Kiss? Kiss is one of the top 10 bands in the history of Rock, period. Paul Stanley kicks half the world's ass. So please have a little respect and wash your mouths before even pronouncing the name. From a Kiss Army member. hihi
Off-topic mode off

Man, is this becoming a soap-opera or what? Why don't Slash come clean and put the cards on the table already?
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:03 PM »

I agree to be fair.

Slash's attitude and his comments in general towards the VR situation, almost seems as if he's dreading getting back to it and wants to stay away from it a little longer.  rofl
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2011, 08:28:26 PM »

Calling Slipknot a gimmick band because of the masks is easy. The masks are N/A when you listen to their albums. Wink

I'd still like to see what he could do as their frontman. People might say it isn't VR without Scott, but the name is irrelevant. I'd like to hear what Corey and Slash et al. would sound like. ok

people who wear costumes,mask etc are gimmicks. Lady Gaga is a gimmick, Slipknot is a gimmick. i hate gimmicks.

Aw, lighten up D. Tongue You don't want all bands to just come out wearing jeans and t-shirts do you? And surely at the end of the day, it's the music that matters most?

PS. Falcon's point about KISS is a very good one. XD

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »

people who wear costumes,mask etc are gimmicks. Lady Gaga is a gimmick, Slipknot is a gimmick. i hate gimmicks.

But you're a Kiss fan, correct?

C'mon D, be consistent m'man!! Wink

very true, at least Slipknot back it up with their musicianship, Kiss on the other hand....I do like Kiss, but they are not good musicians.  Ace is decent, but would have lost in the shuffle if not for his gimmick.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »

I agree to be fair.

Slash's attitude and his comments in general towards the VR situation, almost seems as if he's dreading getting back to it and wants to stay away from it a little longer.  rofl

putting things off for an abnormal amount of time with no explanation whatsoever is how things work in the GNR universe, past present and future.. hihi
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:04:35 AM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

I actually became a Kiss fan during the non makeup years though,so its like i was already a giant fan and then went back and discovered the makeup stuff.

That being said, would i want Paul Stanley fronting Velvet Revolver? of course not.

Kind of like Marilyn Manson.. I've never been able to take him seriously and he actually is a GREAT frontman, but u never see him on any lists because his gimmick outshines his ability and he never gets credit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »

Off-topic mode on
What the fuck are you guys talking about Kiss? Kiss is one of the top 10 bands in the history of Rock, period. Paul Stanley kicks half the world's ass. So please have a little respect and wash your mouths before even pronouncing the name. From a Kiss Army member. hihi
Off-topic mode off

Man, is this becoming a soap-opera or what? Why don't Slash come clean and put the cards on the table already?

Im also in the Kiss army

comparing SLipknot to Kiss is fucking blasphemy.

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

Hahaha just chill out people we will get to know at the same time.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:08 AM »

Off-topic mode on
Off-topic mode off

Im also in the Kiss army

comparing SLipknot to Kiss is fucking blasphemy.

as in blasphemy towards Slipknot right?   hihi

in all seriousness Slipknot is a legit hard rock/metal band who have stood the test of time and still put out number 1 records on the billboard charts...the masks are part of the theatrics, they are very well respected musicians, and as ive said Jordinson is as good a drummer as anyone in hard rock the last 25 years...him and Portnoy.

These are some serious accolades, you dont last 10 years and stay at the top of your game the whole time if your just living on a gimmick.
Albums

* Slipknot: Double Platinum (February 2001)
    * Iowa: Platinum (October 2002)
    * Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses): Platinum (February 2005)
    * 9.0: Live: Gold (December 2005)
    * All Hope Is Gone: Platinum (August 2010)

Videos and DVDs

* Welcome to Our Neighborhood: Platinum (February 2000)
    * Disasterpieces: Quadruple Platinum (November 2005)
    * Voliminal: Inside the Nine: Platinum (February 2007)
    * (sic)nesses: Platinum (November 2010)

Grammy Awards and nominations

Slipknot has been nominated for seven Grammy Awards, resulting in one win.

* "Wait and Bleed" ? Best Metal Performance, 2001 (nomination)[98]
    * "Left Behind" ? Best Metal Performance, 2002 (nomination)[99]
    * "My Plague" ? Best Metal Performance, 2003 (nomination)[100]
    * "Duality" ? Best Hard Rock Performance, 2005 (nomination)[101]
    * "Vermilion" ? Best Metal Performance, 2005 (nomination)[101]
    * "Before I Forget" ? Best Metal Performance, 2006 (winner)[40]
    * "Psychosocial"- Best Metal Performance, 2009 (nomination)[102]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:17:27 PM by Bodhi » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2011, 12:34:27 PM »

SLASH Says Rumors Of COREY TAYLOR Joining VELVET REVOLVER Have Been 'Blown Out Of Proportion' - Feb. 15, 2011

In a brand new interview with Australia's Courier Mail, Slash was asked about the rumors that STONE SOUR and SLIPKNOT frontman Corey Taylor could be adding VELVET REVOLVER to the list of bands he sings for.

"A couple of people have said one thing or another, but it's been blown out of proportion. I've made no comment on that one," Slash said of Taylor joining VELVET REVOLVER.

VELVET REVOLVER bassist Duff McKagan added fuel to the Corey Taylor rumors in a chat he did on February 9 at ESPN.com. Asked by a fan what the most important attribute is that a lead singer should have besides a great voice, McKagan responded, "Any good artist has to have . . . the ability to tap the dark stuff and have it be real. Great lead singers have the ability to tap that. No inhibitions helps as well. Axl (Rose) and Scott (Weiland) are two of the best front men ever. Corey Taylor is one of those guys as well. He can tap it."

When asked about the rumors that Taylor was going to join VELVET REVOLVER, McKagan wrote, "I can neither confirm nor deny . . . He is a bad dude though. I like him as a human being and a singer. He's the voice of a whole new generation."

Taylor himself "neither confirmed nor denied" the rumors in an interview with Billboard.com last month, merely laughing and saying, "To be continued!" when asked about it.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=153975

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »

yeah Slash said something similar about Scott back in 2002, then boom Scott was in the band.  Personally I think VR needs Corey more than Corey needs them at this point.  He fronts two highly successful platinum bands right now.  Id like to see them drop the VR moniker if they get Corey and start a whole new band, drop Kushner too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:20:31 PM by Bodhi » Logged
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »

yeah Slash said something similar about Scott back in 2002, then boom Scott was in the band.  Personally I think VR needs Corey more than Corey needs them at this point.  He fronts two highly successful platinum bands right now.  Id like to see them drop the VR moniker if they get Corey and start a whole new band, drop Kushner too.

I agree. New voice, new sound, sounds like a new band to me, so drop the old bands name. Slash should know that as well as anyone.
Would love to see Izzy involved.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »

I think Slash wants to hold off on VR until he is done touring this leg of his solo stuff-either he is, or not, I wish they would just say either way-once again, even Slash is not saying no.

libertad
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »

yeah Slash said something similar about Scott back in 2002, then boom Scott was in the band.

Really, I didn't know that, it was before my time. Cheesy  So he still may be in the band.

Duff seems to be really hinting that they've chosen Corey -- there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
overmatik
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »

very true, at least Slipknot back it up with their musicianship, Kiss on the other hand....I do like Kiss, but they are not good musicians.  Ace is decent, but would have lost in the shuffle if not for his gimmick.

You're probably not a musician, otherwise you wouldn't say that. Ace Frehley is one of the most influential guitar players in history. Even our friend Slash was influenced by him.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

Duff seems to be really hinting that they've chosen Corey -- there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

It seems the disconnect is Slash himself.

As well as the solo record/tour have gone, the thought of VR and is probably very off putting at this point.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »

You're probably not a musician, otherwise you wouldn't say that. Ace Frehley is one of the most influential guitar players in history. Even our friend Slash was influenced by him.

actually it is because i do play guitar I say that.  Get your ears checked..Ace Frehley is only influential because Kiss was a popular band, and more power to him, I like Ace, he didnt suck, but Kiss is not known for their musicianship.  If we are talking about guitar playing "chops"..he was an average run of the mill guitar player at best.

Also being influential doesn't mean you are good.  Kurt Cobain was a very influential guitar player.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:50:30 AM by Bodhi » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »

Jesus Bodhi, u couldn't be more wrong.

we tend to have this argument on this forum more than I'd care to but Great guitar playing to me, isn't how fast u can move ur fingers or how fast u can tap,shred etc.

Great guitar playing is what you can create and how you can connect it to an audience. Its the whole Slash/Bucket argument all over again.

Ace Frehley is a legend. No body will know who the fuck Slipknot is in 20 years. Kiss are legends,pioneers and their songs are fantastic. who gives a shit if they don't play 500 notes per second or have fast difficult riffs.

I'll take Detroit Rock City,Cold Gin,God Of Thunder,War Machine, riffs over any of SlipKnot's anyday of the week.

Comparing Corey T aylor as a frontman to Paul Stanley is like comparing Mark Slaughter to Freddie Mercury.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »

Jesus Bodhi, u couldn't be more wrong.

we tend to have this argument on this forum more than I'd care to but Great guitar playing to me, isn't how fast u can move ur fingers or how fast u can tap,shred etc.

Great guitar playing is what you can create and how you can connect it to an audience. Its the whole Slash/Bucket argument all over again.

Ace Frehley is a legend. No body will know who the fuck Slipknot is in 20 years. Kiss are legends,pioneers and their songs are fantastic. who gives a shit if they don't play 500 notes per second or have fast difficult riffs.

I'll take Detroit Rock City,Cold Gin,God Of Thunder,War Machine, riffs over any of SlipKnot's anyday of the week.

Comparing Corey T aylor as a frontman to Paul Stanley is like comparing Mark Slaughter to Freddie Mercury.

I have never seen someone give that much praise to Kiss for their musicianship.  Very strange.  I know a lot of guitar players, and we all love Kiss, but none of us would say they are great musicians.  They aren't.  They are the definition of a gimmick band, and its a great gimmick.  That being said they arent completely shitty musicians either, they are average.  I think Taylor is a better singer than Stanley, but not a showman.  For one, Taylor is actually taken seriously by the music industry.  He has 2 bands that sound completely different.  I am confused by this notion that no one will know who Slipknot is in 20 years.  Its not like they have been around for 2 months here, they are going on 14 years, and are as popular now as ever, their record just topped the Billboard chart, something Kiss has never done.  They also stole the show at Download in 2009.  Everything they put out goes platinum, and they are well respected for their musicianship.  I can't see people just forgetting about them, i think they have passed the point where the Limp Bizkits and Creeds usually fade out. 

For the record I like Kiss more than Slipknot, but we are talking about musicianship here, Peter Criss' arms would fall off trying to do half of what Jordison does. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »

i wouldn't say Kiss are amazing virtuoso musicans by any means but Paul is one of the best frontmen of all time.

I'd put the late great Eric Carr up against anybody drumming. DL Carr Jam and u will see what I mean.

Kiss has been around 37 years, still one of the biggest touring bands in the world. Ill take Kiss Alive or Destroyer as having more significance than anything SLipknot can do.

k im being a hater but just went and checked out a few Slipknot videos and these guys are ridiculous looking.  U call that being a virtuoso? that guitar playing is better than Ace?

Like Manson mixed with Korn.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:31:38 PM by D » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: