Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:28:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'  (Read 43688 times)
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »

yeah, i pretty much thought the same of STP until the first time I saw VR before Contraband even came out and like you, was completely floored by Scott

but the only problem is, by the time they were touring for Libertad it seemed as if Scott had lost interest and mailed it in, only going thru the motions
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »

I certainly can't think of many better frontmen today than Scott live. For my money, the only other person in the conversation is Axl. Whereas a lot of singers today seem to kind of pace themselves for a long tour, saving their voice, Axl and Scott are two people that come to mind as guys that actually sing their songs like they were originally recorded.

I am not a fan of Slipknot at all, and listened to a couple Stone Sour songs recently when I heard the rumors of Corey joining VR. I can't say I liked the songs or style of music, but he has a decent voice, and I actually thought his version of It's So Easy was pretty strong.

As great as Scott is live, it seems he's done writing good music unfortunately, so if VR is going to continue, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to hear what Corey can do with a rock n' roll band. VR isn't going to find a better entertainer than Scott. I don't think the total package they seem to be looking for is available, unless it's a complete unknown. The music is most important anyway, so I just hope they find a good songwriter.  I'd still prefer to hear Stockdale, Myles, or Cornell.
overmatik
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2011, 09:53:56 AM »

I certainly can't think of many better frontmen today than Scott live. For my money, the only other person in the conversation is Axl. Whereas a lot of singers today seem to kind of pace themselves for a long tour, saving their voice, Axl and Scott are two people that come to mind as guys that actually sing their songs like they were originally recorded.

I am not a fan of Slipknot at all, and listened to a couple Stone Sour songs recently when I heard the rumors of Corey joining VR. I can't say I liked the songs or style of music, but he has a decent voice, and I actually thought his version of It's So Easy was pretty strong.

As great as Scott is live, it seems he's done writing good music unfortunately, so if VR is going to continue, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to hear what Corey can do with a rock n' roll band. VR isn't going to find a better entertainer than Scott. I don't think the total package they seem to be looking for is available, unless it's a complete unknown. The music is most important anyway, so I just hope they find a good songwriter.  I'd still prefer to hear Stockdale, Myles, or Cornell.

I also love Scott, but neither him or Corey can even touch Sebastian. I said before and I can't see any different, really, Sebastian is the only one who can make it happen at a "magical" level. I was listening to the Subhuman Race album recently, and man, that mo'fo simply owns it! drool
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »

I like Sebastian, but think if he joined, it may be hard to avoid sounding like a novelty act, or dated.
Who knows though, could work.
overmatik
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »

I like Sebastian, but think if he joined, it may be hard to avoid sounding like a novelty act, or dated.
Who knows though, could work.

Well, if they want to try something new so I think they will ultimately go with Corey. But if things don't work out with Corey than VR is as good as dead and buried...
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »

I agree. Can't have a revolving door and expect to hold fans interest. That's probably the hold up, trying to make sure they get it right.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »

oh please. Slipknot are a total fucking gimmick with their stupid masks etc. a 2nd rate Kiss/Gwar wannabe band

Better singer than Scott? U gotta be shitting me.

Listen to his Stone Sour stuff, Scott sings/dances/writes circles around that shit.

I know People hate Scott cause of his Anti Axl comments, but lets give the man the credit he is due for being one of the greatest frontmen of the past 20 years easily.

last 20 years, from the time STP debuted till now, Scott is a top 5 frontman easy.

comparing Slipknot to Gwar or Kiss and calling them nothing but a gimmick band makes me question all of your knowledge about music.  You are usually aware of great musicianship, so I dont know what gives hear.  Joey Jordinson is one of the greatest rock drummers of all time.

Corey is more versatile than Scott, Stone Sour and Slipknot are completely different bands, he has a great screaming voice(something Scott doesnt have at all) so he will be great for VR who are trying to become a heavier band.  "Slither" was the heaviest you were going to get with Scott.

Really, when was the last REALLY good STP record?  Purple?  I forgot that new one even came out last year, and I had high hopes for it.  I've seen Scott play with his solo band, so its not like I just hate the guy, but his best work is clearly behind him.

Top 5 frontman of the last 20 years?  He is Top 10 or 15 for me.  Billie Joe Armstrong, Liam Gallagher, and Dave Grohl are all WAY better than him, and there are a bunch of younger guys like Gerard Way, M. Shadows, etc who give him a run for his money.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »

u can question my music stuff about Slipknot and turn around in the same fucking post and say DaveGrohl is a better frontman than Scott Weiland?

the dude from My Chemical Romance?

WOWWWWWWWW just fucking WOWWWWWWWWWWW

nothing personal, don't get mad or angry with me, u are still one of my favorite posters. but WOW

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »

Kiss live kicks ass end of story about that. When are we getting this announcement? Waiting a bit longer then planed is all I noticed.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »

I'm not so sure Slash is referring to screaming though when he says heavier. At least I hope not. I took it as more of AFD heavy kind of heavy. If Scott didn't forget how to write lyrics, I think VR could have been great if it was Core era Scott, which I assume is what Slash and co were hoping for, kind of a return to form. Screaming has it's place, but I think some singers use it as a crutch. I'm not interested in hearing VR do their best Pantera impression. I'd like to hear them play to their strengths, which is rock n roll music.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

u can question my music stuff about Slipknot and turn around in the same fucking post and say DaveGrohl is a better frontman than Scott Weiland?

the dude from My Chemical Romance?

WOWWWWWWWW just fucking WOWWWWWWWWWWW

nothing personal, don't get mad or angry with me, u are still one of my favorite posters. but WOW

haha, its all in good fun D,  nothing personal.  My Chemical Romance is a way heavier band than Velvet Revolver was during Libertad.  Gerard Way is a great front man, check out all of their cinematic videos that he writes and directs, hes a great performer.  What is wrong with MCR?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:55:52 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »

I'm not so sure Slash is referring to screaming though when he says heavier. At least I hope not. I took it as more of AFD heavy kind of heavy. If Scott didn't forget how to write lyrics, I think VR could have been great if it was Core era Scott, which I assume is what Slash and co were hoping for, kind of a return to form. Screaming has it's place, but I think some singers use it as a crutch. I'm not interested in hearing VR do their best Pantera impression. I'd like to hear them play to their strengths, which is rock n roll music.

yeah me too, i would like Corey Taylor to add a few screams here and there...def not a fan of him doing it the whole song.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:29 PM »

I just don't think u give Scott his full due.

one thing in music i hate, is when people say, so and so hasn't done anything since this or that.

like with Slash, people can say he hasn't done anything since GNR but so fucking what? Jimmy Page hasn't done shit since Zeppelin but does he cease being a legend?

What Scott did on Core and Purple cements his legacy in my opinion if he never wrote another song.

Contraband was widely successful, it is my favorite rock album of the 21st century by far. that album still gets me going.

MCR are nowhere on STP's level. Scott is one of the last great true rock frontmen to come out imo. After the batch that produced Cornell,Vedder,Cobain,Staley and Weiland...... the frontman as we know it, doesn't truly exist like it once did.

Slither is amazing, so I'd be good with that heaviness. Let It Roll was heavy and awesome as well.

Ill give Corey a chance and admit i was wrong if i love it. just out of the box I'm not completely sold yet. now as far as commercial appeal etc. best choice they could make no doubt. we will see how it goes though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:47:33 PM by D » Logged

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »

Calling Slipknot a gimmick band because of the masks is easy. The masks are N/A when you listen to their albums. Wink

I'd still like to see what he could do as their frontman. People might say it isn't VR without Scott, but the name is irrelevant. I'd like to hear what Corey and Slash et al. would sound like. ok

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »

People should give Corey Taylor a chance before they decide it's gonna suck. And let's face it, as much as I like Scott Weiland and Slash and all those guys, VR wasn't exactly reinventing the wheel up to this point.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »

Slash says the Corey Talyor Velvet Revolver rumors have been blown out of proportion.  And the "couple of people" he mentions are Matt, Duff and Corey Taylor.

February 13, 2011

Slash remains mum on whether he has found a new singer for Velvet Revolver, his band with former Gunners members Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum.

Fellow Soundwaver Corey Taylor, of Slipknot and Stone Sour, has been rumoured as the new frontman.

"A couple of people have said one thing or another, but it's been blown out of proportion. I've made no comment on that one," Slash says of Taylor joining VR.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/a-slashing-effort/story-fn6cc53j-1226005372062

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »

at this point it better be Corey, if we get stuck with someone like Frankie Perez after all this I'm going to be pretty pissed off.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »

at this point it better be Corey, if we get stuck with someone like Frankie Perez after all this I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

now THIS we can agree on. if its that frankie guy, I am done with this band.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »

Calling Slipknot a gimmick band because of the masks is easy. The masks are N/A when you listen to their albums. Wink

I'd still like to see what he could do as their frontman. People might say it isn't VR without Scott, but the name is irrelevant. I'd like to hear what Corey and Slash et al. would sound like. ok

people who wear costumes,mask etc are gimmicks. Lady Gaga is a gimmick, Slipknot is a gimmick. i hate gimmicks.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

people who wear costumes,mask etc are gimmicks. Lady Gaga is a gimmick, Slipknot is a gimmick. i hate gimmicks.

But you're a Kiss fan, correct?

C'mon D, be consistent m'man!! Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: