Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorum VR Singer 'He's A Guy We've Had Our Eye On, But The Timing Wasn't Right'  (Read 43656 times)
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »

I honestly feel that Velvet should have called it quits after 2008, it just seems all lackluster at the moment. The way they have been talking about VR during the past couple of years, is almost as if the whole project is a burden for all involved.

Say what you want about Scott, but he was the right fit for the bands image and sound, and it worked. But now it seems like they are beating a dead horse, and just carrying it all on for the sake of it.

Everyone seemed happy doing their own thing recently, and if Velvet does start up again with a new singer. I honestly believe it will be a short lived affair, and that is purely because of the situation regarding Scott and the whole last 2 years. Of Duff and Slash surviving that lengthy period without VR, and proving that they don't need each other to get by in the music world, so to say.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to hold onto the name of Velvet Revolver, but I guess it's not a big deal. I guess it's not a huge name to live up to(though I like them) but having a new singer join is going to change the dynamics of the band, plus they've already hinted they want to be heavier, so it's a fresh start, why carry on the name? I don't think Slash and Duff need each other, but they clearly have great chemistry. I wish Izzy were involved because I think they were meant to be playing together. I liked VR. Weiland is in my opinion one of the last great frontmen, but haven't been too impressed with his studio work since STP's Tiny Music. He seemed more inspired with VR than the end of STP, but still not Weiland of old. Will be interesting to see who they pick. I'd like to see what the singer from Wolfmother could do.
mikvilja
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

I can't think of anyone better than Corey Taylor for VR to get heavier! Most of Slipknot is too much for me even though some tracks rule! The first two albums of Stonesour kicks ass!

This reminds of Perla's tweet at 8th of Jan (below). Who is this Mr. Corey?

PerlaFHudson Perla Hudson
At dinner with @KraveKelly @Slash and mr corey! Good food good times, all good! Love my peeps! But slash n I are SO full!
8 Jan
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »

I honestly feel that Velvet should have called it quits after 2008, it just seems all lackluster at the moment. The way they have been talking about VR during the past couple of years, is almost as if the whole project is a burden for all involved.

Say what you want about Scott, but he was the right fit for the bands image and sound, and it worked. But now it seems like they are beating a dead horse, and just carrying it all on for the sake of it.

Everyone seemed happy doing their own thing recently, and if Velvet does start up again with a new singer. I honestly believe it will be a short lived affair, and that is purely because of the situation regarding Scott and the whole last 2 years. Of Duff and Slash surviving that lengthy period without VR, and proving that they don't need each other to get by in the music world, so to say.

I'm not sure why they feel the need to hold onto the name of Velvet Revolver, but I guess it's not a big deal. I guess it's not a huge name to live up to(though I like them) but having a new singer join is going to change the dynamics of the band, plus they've already hinted they want to be heavier, so it's a fresh start, why carry on the name? I don't think Slash and Duff need each other, but they clearly have great chemistry. I wish Izzy were involved because I think they were meant to be playing together. I liked VR. Weiland is in my opinion one of the last great frontmen, but haven't been too impressed with his studio work since STP's Tiny Music. He seemed more inspired with VR than the end of STP, but still not Weiland of old. Will be interesting to see who they pick. I'd like to see what the singer from Wolfmother could do.

If it is Corey, I don't see it lasting at all.

A band like VR need a good few melodic songs, even ballady type of songs. And I don't see Corey delivering that type of material in VR's style. He might be great on the heavier stuff but that will get boring really quick, were as Scott could handle both pretty well.

What makes me question this whole VR thing is Slash's attittude towards Scott during the end of VR. When he basically blamed Libertads underwhelming success due to Scott taking over artistic control of the band. Which just seemed like the same situation regarding GN'R in Slash's mind, problem is you can't use that excuse twice and still want people to believe it all.

There is no point in a VR without Scott because he was the voice and the identitiy of the band, and you can't get rid of that and still expect it to work. It's starting to get like Slash's solo project where there is a guest vocalist every now and then, much like Camp Freddie too. And what makes me say all of this is because Scott was probably more VR than Slash. And that is because he represented the band in the eccense of voice image, songwriting, and leading the band through everything.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »

I agree. All bands assume the identity of the lead singer by default in most cases. Not to say it would have sounded anything like it did without the other members, but I think Libertad was more a Scott Weiland album, than it was Slash. I personally like the album, even though it doesn't showcase Slash's talent as well as it could. I thought they sounded more like a band. I can see where maybe he wants VR to sound how he originally intended in the beginning, but don't think it would hurt to put it to bed altogether and continue as a new act, which is essentially what they are going to be anyway. Just call it what it is. I don't like to hear bands airing their dirty laundry to the media, but don't pay a ton of attention to it either. Not so interested in the soap opera music has become today with all the access we unfortunately get.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 05:41:27 PM »

More from Matt:

MATT SORUM On VELVET REVOLVER: 'We've Still Got Something To Prove' - Jan. 11, 2011

Jon Wiederhorn of AOL's Noisecreep recently conducted an interview with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer Matt Sorum. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Noisecreep: How has the audition process been going?

Sorum: We tried out a lot of new guys, and basically it's quite a process. Scott Weiland is one of the best frontmen out there. And I've been in bands with Axl Rose and Ian Astbury. Those are big shoes to fill. So we're looking for a tried and true individual that can mesh with guys like us that have been out there doing this for a long time.

It hasn't been an easy task, and that's why it's taking a long time. But we don't want to come out half-cocked. We want to create something that people are gonna go, "Wow, that's awesome." We've had a couple situations where we've been with some singers, and we've pulled out of because we didn't feel completely secure in the fact that going forward the guy was the right move.

We tried out some fairly unknown guys and some guys that have been out there a little bit. But the guy we're really excited about know is a pretty known guy. I don't want to say anything yet because we're still in the dating phase. We haven't consummated the relationship or made a gentleman's agreement. So I can't let the cat out of the bag until there's an official stamp of approval on the deal.

Noisecreep: How will the next record be different than "Contraband" or "Libertad"?

Sorum: "Contraband" had sort of a punk rock element to it. When I listen to it, I feel like it's got a lot of angst to it. When I was making that record, I wasn't newly sober, but I had been sober a little bit. I remember I was still trying to feel comfortable in my own skin. And that angst came off useful for us.

There's an energy that says, "Man, these guys still have a lot of vitality in them." And when I listen to "Libertad", I feel like that album's something that we sort of weren't [into] at the time. It took a turn more for the singer in the band. Scott wanted to make a certain kind of record, so that became more his thing. "Contraband" was already written before Scott came into play. He just gravitated towards the songs and wrote the lyrics and the melody. "Libertad" was more an album based around what his lyrics and vision was, and it came off a little lightweight.

Noisecreep: It sounds like your next record might be more like "Contraband"?

Sorum: Well, that's the goal and I know we're fired up about it and that's the beauty about these guys in the band. I can look at all of them and know that they're passionate enough about making the music and they have enough drive left in them. In a way, we've still got something to prove. It's more about outdoing ourselves and trying to be the best we can be.

The goal now is to get right back together [this month] and make a call on the singer. Slash is going to finish out his tour through the beginning of the summer, and then hopefully by that time we'll have a bunch of songs compiled. We all work on our own, and send each other ideas and work together when we got breaks. And maybe we'll take a few more weeks to write, get in the studio and record an album by the end of the summer to get it out by the late part of 2011. I'm looking forward to that. We've all had enough time to go out and live other lives and have an adventure and organically come back as a unit that wants to do it again.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=152185

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »

A band like VR need a good few melodic songs, even ballady type of songs. And I don't see Corey delivering that type of material in VR's style. He might be great on the heavier stuff but that will get boring really quick, were as Scott could handle both pretty well.

What makes me question this whole VR thing is Slash's attittude towards Scott during the end of VR. When he basically blamed Libertads underwhelming success due to Scott taking over artistic control of the band. Which just seemed like the same situation regarding GN'R in Slash's mind, problem is you can't use that excuse twice and still want people to believe it all.

There is no point in a VR without Scott because he was the voice and the identitiy of the band, and you can't get rid of that and still expect it to work. It's starting to get like Slash's solo project where there is a guest vocalist every now and then, much like Camp Freddie too. And what makes me say all of this is because Scott was probably more VR than Slash. And that is because he represented the band in the eccense of voice image, songwriting, and leading the band through everything.

I think "Bother" and "Through Glass" are just as good if not better than any ballad VR has put out.  Libertad was definitely a Scott style record and it was a very weak record.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »

I think "Bother" and "Through Glass" are just as good if not better than any ballad VR has put out.  Libertad was definitely a Scott style record and it was a very weak record.

I was going to point out that Stone Sour have a fair few great ballads, but you did it for me, thanks.
Also, Slipknot have had a few great softer songs on their last two albums, too. Corey's versatile... he can do the heavier stuff and the softer stuff. For another example listen to 'Hesitate' from 'Audio Secrecy' and 'Snuff' from 'All Hope Is Gone'. He's probably one of the few vocalists out there nowadays who sing the most delicate of ballads as well as scream his lungs out.
justincrowe
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »

uh oh, with Perla tweeting about dinner with Corey, i'm starting to think it might actually be CT.

the guy is good, no doubts there. there are plenty of Stone Sour songs VR could play live, and they wouldn't seem out of place.

replacing Scott Weiland with Corey Taylor and going with a heavier sound is an interesting idea to me. i'm now hoping it happens.

08.14.91 - Icehall, Helsinki, Finland
07.06.06 - Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 11:11:05 AM »

I saw some interviews with Corey that said he feels kind of pushed to do the same style over and over in Slipknot. I guess the fans expect their screaming and heavy shit. Plus their bass player died so they might be on a bit of hiatus as far as making new music (yes, I know they have shows planned later this year). As for Stone Sour, he could do both. He's already proven that.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »

he's a great rock singer.

proof right here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2rXV7no4o

Chinese Democracy!
justincrowe
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »

i wonder if this stays on the set list  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfIVcN0t3eQ

08.14.91 - Icehall, Helsinki, Finland
07.06.06 - Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »

uh oh, with Perla tweeting about dinner with Corey, i'm starting to think it might actually be CT.

I have to say that is interesting...

Perla Hudson

At dinner with @KraveKelly @Slash and mr corey! Good food good times, all good! Love my peeps! But slash n I are SO full!

12:13 AM Jan 8th via Twitter for BlackBerry?

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

A couple of old articles regarding Corey Taylor and Velvet Revolver:

SLIPKNOT Frontman Confirms He Tried Out For VELVET REVOLVER - Oct. 30, 2009

SLIPKNOT frontman Corey Taylor has confirmed that he was being considered for the singer slot in VELVET REVOLVER following the departure of Scott Weiland. Speaking to Altitude TV (see video below), Taylor said, "I had a meeting with those guys, we did some demos together, and it just didn't work ? for whatever reason."

He added, "It was just really cool. It was one of those things where it's like I could have got to jam with legends, man, in my opinion. But, you know, it was cool, and I still know those guys, I still hang out with them, and I still have nothing but respect."
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=129535

DUFF MCKAGAN Sings COREY TAYLOR's Praises - June 4, 2009
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121360

COREY TAYLOR Performs GN'R's 'It's So Easy' With DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED; Video Available - June 1, 2009

Fan-filmed video footage of Corey Taylor (SLIPKNOT, STONE SOUR) performing the GUNS N' ROSES classic "It's So Easy" with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan's side band, DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED, on May 30, 2009 at Rockfest in Kansas City, Missouri can be viewed below.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=121119

molinari
Opening Act

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsMcyb8LSY
heavier, well known guy, tried early
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »

It's not baz. already tried out for VR back in the day they were still the project.

and Baz has his second album coming out anytime soon. so
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »

From Crawdaddy Magazine:

Who Is Velvet Revolver?s New Singer?

Internet fan speculation mostly seems to be pointing to Corey Taylor of Slipknot fame, but let?s not rule out a few wildcards here. Judas Priest flunkie Tim ?Ripper? Owens is younger, presumably stronger, and of heavier rock n? roll leanings than Velvet Revolver, as is one time Anthrax snger Dan Nelson. And hey, what about Chris Cornell? Is that Soundgarden reunion still going on? Come on, Corny made that stupid dance pop record; let?s not put joining Velvet Revolver past him.

One of the stranger rumors out there right now regarding VR?s ?new? singer is that it?s actually their old singer, Scott Weiland, who parted ways with the band semi-acrimoniously in 2008. It?s all a ruse, the conspiracy theorists say! Velvet Revolver is just fucking with us for their own amusement!

http://www.crawdaddy.com/index.php/2011/01/10/who-is-velvet-revolvers-new-singer/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2011, 08:44:16 PM »

From an interview with Slash dated today:

Jeb: Your band mate in VR, Matt Sorum, was quoted as saying there is a bunch of stuff in the can with that band.

Slash: There is a bunch of stuff but I don?t know about saying it is in the can. We have a lot of demos recorded. We have a bunch of material but the whole singer thing is not settled yet. The jury is still out on that one.

Jeb: If I can be blunt with you, what the hell is taking so long?

Slash: Finding a singer for a band like Velvet Revolver, at this point, is not like when we first started, even back then it was a hard position to fill. It is even harder now. We know exactly what we want in this band and there are just not a lot of really amazing rock n? roll singers out there right now.

This doesn't sound good -- the Sorum quote is recent.  So this may mean they don't have a singer...again.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:14 PM »

WOW i must say, I actually agree with u on something. nice post! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »

From an interview with Slash dated today:

Jeb: Your band mate in VR, Matt Sorum, was quoted as saying there is a bunch of stuff in the can with that band.

Slash: There is a bunch of stuff but I don?t know about saying it is in the can. We have a lot of demos recorded. We have a bunch of material but the whole singer thing is not settled yet. The jury is still out on that one.

Jeb: If I can be blunt with you, what the hell is taking so long?

Slash: Finding a singer for a band like Velvet Revolver, at this point, is not like when we first started, even back then it was a hard position to fill. It is even harder now. We know exactly what we want in this band and there are just not a lot of really amazing rock n? roll singers out there right now.

This doesn't sound good -- the Sorum quote is recent.  So this may mean they don't have a singer...again.

I am not surprised, Matt has been doing all the talking and no one else has. Slash only saying things are progressing and Duff saying nothing. I think they should just forget VR. Slash and Duff both seem to be more interested in their solo work.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »

Still waiting on that announcement hopefully this isn't just another disappointment had enough of those for one winter.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: