Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R doing an "Exile On Mainstreet" type of album would be amazing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R doing an "Exile On Mainstreet" type of album would be amazing  (Read 2738 times)
Sillything
VIP

« on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »

I'm listnening to the Stones a whole lot right now and just saw a documentary about Exile On Mainstreet on tv. Can't help thinking about what it would be like to have Guns together in a house like that for a coupple of months. No songs written when they go in. Don't let them out until theyv'e done a doubble album! They are eight people now, and some guests could come by. I liked  Tommys video, can't remeber the title now, the one from Belgium, such a cool vibe...could be amazing?

Edit: Changed subject to avoid confusion. /jarmo
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:17:12 PM by jarmo » Logged

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
stvyrayvhn
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:34 AM »

My personal opinion is that this would require Izzy Stradlin...
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:16 AM »

Lol it would be fun as hell to watch the process.
Not to mention how good the result would be.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
sweetbreakdown
Opening Act

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 05:19:30 AM »

I think we already have a double album so to speak if we consider what we know. Maybe it's just a matter of time/will/issues/business/etc

But for now I think it's time to forget it n' just enjoy the next steps (aka possible US tour).

Some people talk about the current band getting together to release new material but I hope sometime in the future (doesn't matter when) we have the "second album" worth of material, maybe with some new added stuff from the new guys just like Chinese. I love the new guys n' I hope they stay for a long time but I wish we could listen more new stuff with Bucket/Robin/Paul/Brain before something all made by the current band.

"In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

W. Axl Rose - 02/28/09
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »

That does sound amazing, but also sounds like it goes totally against the grain of how Axl seems to work today. I can't picture grown men with millions of dollars choosing to live that way in this day and age(especially without the aid of drugs and alcohol). Would love to hear an Axl back to basics type album though. Records don't come much better than Exile.
sweetbreakdown
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Is it Long Gone Day because of the Mad Season song?

People talk about getting back to basics. Guns was never "basic". We can hear all kinds of styles n' sounds in Appetite - Eveyone knows that songs like November Rain are among the oldest ones from the band. So this idea of "getting back to basics" sounds like shit to me. In every album we have all kinds of shit, which is one of the aspects that most caught my attention to this band.
Back in the old days people would compare Guns with other hard rock bands n' I was always like "c'mon, pay more attention n' you'll see there are many other things inside this record than just hard rock".
I remember myself showing Paradise City to some people n' saying "Look! It starts with this Lynyrd Skynyrd sound, then it breaks into a heavy metal riff with rap oriented vocals (some people didn't agree - n' then we see the shitty version of $la$h...with rap-style vocals on it like it's something new..), till we meet the hard rock chorus n', after all that, the punk but not less epic end full of guitars!"

"In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

W. Axl Rose - 02/28/09
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »

Yeah, love that song.
I certainly didn't mean basic in a bad way. Maybe not the best term. Kind of referring to the more raw sound that GNR and the Stones once had. I agree, all sorts of styles and sounds in Appetite. I guess that's my point, a lot of those are missing with the new material, or replaced with new sounds. That's not a bad thing by any stretch, just for me personally I'd love to hear some acoustic tracks, or some of the punk, blues influences that were present on the first 4 discs. I understand that those elements are missing because the band members that brought those influences have left, and maybe it's not the new guys bag. CD has some songs that I never would have imagined GNR putting out at one point. Some of them I don't like, some I think are fantastic! I'm excited to hear anything Axl puts out regardless. Yeah, certainly not interested in hearing a tragic rap version of PC that Slash put out, but he's responsible for the heavy metal riff and epic end of guitars so I'll give him a pass.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »

The basics for GNR are different than other things though.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
sweetbreakdown
Opening Act

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »

Basics to Guns is a impossible dream to most of the bands out there!! Wink

W. Axl Rose - 02/28/09
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Is it Long Gone Day because of the Mad Season song?

People talk about getting back to basics. Guns was never "basic". We can hear all kinds of styles n' sounds in Appetite - Eveyone knows that songs like November Rain are among the oldest ones from the band. So this idea of "getting back to basics" sounds like shit to me. In every album we have all kinds of shit, which is one of the aspects that most caught my attention to this band.
Back in the old days people would compare Guns with other hard rock bands n' I was always like "c'mon, pay more attention n' you'll see there are many other things inside this record than just hard rock".
I remember myself showing Paradise City to some people n' saying "Look! It starts with this Lynyrd Skynyrd sound, then it breaks into a heavy metal riff with rap oriented vocals (some people didn't agree - n' then we see the shitty version of $la$h...with rap-style vocals on it like it's something new..), till we meet the hard rock chorus n', after all that, the punk but not less epic end full of guitars!"

Loved the post, I agree 100%. I'd say Rocket Queen also had this mix bag of stuff going on.

IMHO, the idea may sounds cool, but I think Axl needs a bit more inspiration than just jamming in a cool house to get to write those awesome lyrics.

LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

I sure wouldn't mind hearing anything remotely in the vein of Rocket Queen. Now that's a down and dirty rock n roll song.

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »

An album like this don't necessarily have to be predestined to duplicate the sound or styles on the Stones Exil-album. The songs don't have to be stones-esque like "Bad Obssesion" with the horns and all. The strength of Exile is that it feels so "alive" and diverse. A Guns album with that vibe would be incredible and what makes me think it would be possible is how Guns is on stage now. I get the sense from the new intro jams that they just want to keep playing and playing. I say set up the gear and just roll tape. The short interview clip from Abu Dhabi was also really cool with Axl having the group around him and introducing them as Guns N' Roses, seems to be a really loose and comfortable feeling in the group and I just think it should be captured. I love love love all Axls lyrics on Chinese ( and all his other lyrics for that matter) But Im curious about what he has to say now lyrically. Has he moved on from subject matters on CD? I don't wanna miss out on all the stuff they have recorded with Brain, Robin , Bucket already I want too. I just want a lot of music I guess. So Guns N' Roses just keep playing beer

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Is he struggling?
Rocker

Why are you reading this?

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

An album like this don't necessarily have to be predestined to duplicate the sound or styles on the Stones Exil-album. The songs don't have to be stones-esque like "Bad Obssesion" with the horns and all. The strength of Exile is that it feels so "alive" and diverse. A Guns album with that vibe would be incredible and what makes me think it would be possible is how Guns is on stage now. I get the sense from the new intro jams that they just want to keep playing and playing. I say set up the gear and just roll tape. The short interview clip from Abu Dhabi was also really cool with Axl having the group around him and introducing them as Guns N' Roses, seems to be a really loose and comfortable feeling in the group and I just think it should be captured. I love love love all Axls lyrics on Chinese ( and all his other lyrics for that matter) But Im curious about what he has to say now lyrically. Has he moved on from subject matters on CD? I don't wanna miss out on all the stuff they have recorded with Brain, Robin , Bucket already I want too. I just want a lot of music I guess. So Guns N' Roses just keep playing beer

Yep, Exile is one of the ultimate 'feel' albums, and I think an album that could capture the feel of the new line-up playing live in a room, with minimal overdubs and other post production bells and whistles, would be incredible.

Funnily enough, when I listened to the version of SCOM that the band recorded in 1999, I noticed for the first time how alive it sounded. The interplay between Robin's wah and Brain's drums is just phenomenal, and the backline of Tobias, Tommy and Dizzy's were locking togehter perfectly. I'm no expert on engineering, but I doubt you could get such a 'true' prerformace like that from all the studio wizardry in the whole wide world. Whilst the way that CD was woven together from many thousands of parts is nothing sort of miraculous, the lack of a true live band feel does let it down a bit for me.

It's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly!:

www.reverbnation.com/papersun
sweetbreakdown
Opening Act

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

The '99 Sweet Child has Josh on drums, not Brain.

W. Axl Rose - 02/28/09
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: