Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 05:28:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228546 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum Appreciation thread!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum Appreciation thread!  (Read 1806 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »

Topic says it all! Appreciation for this great ex-GNR drummer.

I love the work he has done with You Could Be Mine, Pretty Tied up, Locomotive, November Rain, Perfect Crime, Double Talkin jive and Estranged and others as well.

I mean i couldn't imagine this songs that i mentioned being played by Adler, sure he had the Guns feel, and was the original drummer, but can you really picture "You Could Be Mine" with a cowbell all over it? Matt Sorum did a great job on the songs!

Some people say this guy should have never been with Guns N'Roses, but i think thats really unfair. This guy is by far one of the best drummers alive today! he's very underrated.

Anyways people, express your feelings about this man!  ok

Oh My God i cant deny this...
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »

Matt Sorum came in when the songs where already written, those drumparts were mapped out by Steven (and Duff, perhaps Izzy too). So in reality Matt's playing Steven's drumparts, with the exception of some parts like fills etc. (If you don't believe me, look at all the UYI drumparts, compared to his other (for example VR) material. The drumparts are original as in non standard beats and mostly follow the music/guitar riffs. That's the Steven Adler signature along with cowbell, which is on some UYI songs only burried in the mix e.g. Pretty Tied Up chorus.)

Matt's alright, but I don't care much for his feel (like a machine, so perfect timing and his drum arrangements). But to each his own, like Matt said himself Steven's got more of a punkrock attitude feel/sound and he hardrock so it's a matter of taste Smiley

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:55:53 AM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »

Well im glad that cowbell got buried in the mix... i mean the illusion albums were different  from Appetite... i can't imagine any Illusions song with that cowbell playing.. so thank god it got buried

Oh My God i cant deny this...
rebelhipi
Legend

You Dig What The Fuck I'm Saying, Homefuck''?!''

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:13:04 PM »

me like this thread! hihi
i just have to say listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG7WhjN9XL4 ( and then listen to the instrumental mix) steven plays in this and its a lot differend to the album one  ilove sorum in my top three drummers forever i cant say whos the best but my 3 favorites are sorum dave grohl and bonham
have to say that without matt gnr wouldnt be as close that it is always been i mean allways when i want to see a kick ass live vid or whatever its allways the illusions era it gots something unique that i am in love with and i have EVERYTHING he has ever put out exept some singles ect
great guy lots of hater he has
hes a so solid drummer and first of all a hard hitter! peace
illusinons era its just my thing i almoust never listen to apetite i love everything else gnr has done but why listen to the album when you can have a sorum live version !! Grin and i respect all other drummers in gnr and in general specially franck is a hellova drummer

i just found this its weird and funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGO7-gXLmik&feature=related the funny part is in the end it will come up  Wink

Helsinki 06.07.06
Helsinki 05.06.10
Bangkok 28.02.17
Hämeenlinna 01.07.17
Berlin 03.06.18
Tallinn 16.07.18
Algés 04.06.22
Prague 18.06.22
Madrid 09.06.23

GN'R
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »

I like his drum sound, especially on TSI. I hate it when drums sound flat and wimpy. People may say Matt is 'machine-like' or whatever, but at least he hits the damn things pretty hard.

YCBM, Locomotive, Down On The Farm... all awesome. beer

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »

Matt is a good drummer. Doesn't have a cool and different style like Adler but gets the job done well. If only he weren't a dork in other matters...

Fuck 'Em All.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »

Well im glad that cowbell got buried in the mix... i mean the illusion albums were different  from Appetite... i can't imagine any Illusions song with that cowbell playing.. so thank god it got buried

Well..."Bad Obsession" has it.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: