Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 07:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  MusicRadar: Axl, wins the best frontman poll!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MusicRadar: Axl, wins the best frontman poll!  (Read 19452 times)
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »

Axl now at 30%
Freddie Mercury 17%

Still a healthy lead but let`s not get overconfident.

Come on everybody....votes for Axl!

Yeah your right, but I think there's no need to worry. As it used to be Axl - 26% at one point, and I was comfortable with that. I still think Axl will win this comfortably, as we did all the hard work at the beginning.  Wink

But we do need to keep an eye on it, as it slipped down the forum recently, because we was so ahead. I would like to know when this ends, it can't be long now surely.
BlackAces
Headliner

« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »

Axl 25%
Freddie Mercury now 18%.

Still a good lead, BUT shrinking each day.

Come on....votes for Axl!!!!
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 03:28:10 PM »

it doesnt let me vote anymore.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 06:04:51 PM »

When the hell is this going to end, we should have won like 2 weeks ago.  Tongue
MrGawain
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »

As I have said before, it seems as if Music radar has a problem with Axl. I wouldn't be surprised the poll will be closed when Axl drops into 2nd place. But then I'm a cynic.
BlackAces
Headliner

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2010, 09:07:18 AM »

In any case, NOW would be a good time to get Axl`s lead up a bit, as that would to discourage Freddy Mercury`s voters and Musicradar will probably also end the poll when they see Axl`s lead widening again.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »

The homepage polls usually run for one month
BenDrinking49
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 01:37:37 AM »

I am a big Axl fan, but as far as greatest lead singer of all time, I don?t think Axl would get the top spot. He just has not done enough in his career as some of the other great lead singers of all time.   

So here would be my short list:

1.   Freddy Mercury
2.   Mick Jagger
3.   Steven Tyler
4.   Robert Plant
5.   Axl Rose

Rose will make my top five, but I think the 4 people in front of him on my list have all had greater careers and have all done more for rock n roll. There is no doubting the influence that Axl and GNR had on RNR history, but when you compare Axl?s work to that of those other lead singers ahead of him on my list, he fall just short.

In my mind, you can?t have just one great album. Don?t get me wrong, ?Appetite? was more than just a great album, it was a phenomenon, but when judging greatest of all time, you have to look at body of work. All of the singers in front of Axl on my list have not only had multiple years of success, but multiple decades of success, unlike Axl who was only really relevant in the late 80?s and early to mid 90?s.

Let?s face it, Chinese Democracy was a disappointment sales wise compared to the other GNR albums, and I think it only sold as well as it did, because of the long waited anticipation of CD.

Let?s hope the next GNR album will be better, (pun intended) and maybe Axl can move up on my list.

Go ahead; you can start yelling at me now.

Ben
John
Rocker

...Gone To Hell

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »

Let?s face it, Chinese Democracy was a disappointment sales wise compared to the other GNR albums, and I think it only sold as well as it did, because of the long waited anticipation of CD.

Let?s hope the next GNR album will be better, (pun intended) and maybe Axl can move up on my list.

I'll start the yelling I guess.

I agree with a lot of your opinion, but I dont understand your reasoning regarding CD.

Your not only comparing CD to AFD/UYI 1&2 here, but your comparing a rock-focused music scene to one which is drastically different some 15+ years later.

Show me albums from hard rock bands from the late 80s/early 90s that have had sales close to that of CD.

That aside, it seems you believe Axl needs to "make a better album" because of these sales figures. That's not what makes an album "good".

You must understand, there are lots of people out there, some on these boards, some not, that love Chinese Democracy. There are people, myself included, who actually listen to it on a daily basis. For us, it is the very album we always hoped it would be. And that's not blind faith -- I first heard CD around the time of its release and half expected to hate it. How wrong I was.

Leeds Festival - 29/08/10, Birmingham - 17/10/10, Manchester - 18/10/10, Liverpool - 20/05/12, Manchester 29/05/12
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 07:21:03 AM »

Also, who buys albums these days with so much piracy? It's not fair to compare sales from the '80s and '90s with something current. It will never be the same again.

And I feel very sorry for those of you who think a great album needs to be in the top of the charts. You're probably missing a lot, not only from GNR.

gnr-4-ever
VIP

Personal Text:

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 07:57:42 AM »

Also, who buys albums these days with so much piracy? It's not fair to compare sales from the '80s and '90s with something current. It will never be the same again.

And I feel very sorry for those of you who think a great album needs to be in the top of the charts. You're probably missing a lot, not only from GNR.

That's the main issue when it comes to sales. Most of the people would rather save their money and download it online, since there's like a million ways to get music for free on the internet these days. No matter how many copies it sold Chinese Democracy did draw a lot more attention than other albums which were released in the years before. And the myspace record thing proved that, CD got more than 3 million listens on the day when it was put on GN'Rs myspace page and that says a lot. I think if there wasn't so much piracy as in the 80s-90s it would probably sell 4-5 times more than it did. But numbers don't really mean a lot to them I think, the most important thing is they are happy with the final product if you ask me.

24/09/2010
17/07/2012
26/06/2015 🎩
19/05/2016 ⚡
04/07/2017
10/07/2017 🎤
03/06/2018
10/02/2019 🎩
19/07/2023
SkeletorSerpent
Rocker

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

Don't forget that CD did break a MySpace record the night it was released, remember? In fact, MySpace was temporarily shut down that night because of the flood of people trying to access the album on their MySpace page. In modern Internet era terms, that is equivalent to masses of people lining up on a sidewalk outside a Tower Records; it was just a cyberspace stampede.

We are not judging on how prolific the singer was or how much volume of material he or she has produced. We are judging on raw talent, soul, versatility, vocal range, style, and the ability to communicate feeling and transfer emotion. "this ol'world is full of singers, but just a few are chosen to tear our hearts out when they sing" as the old country song goes. There are many "great" vocalists (range, octaves, technicality, tone, pitch, timber, etc.), but truthfully they are a dime a dozen. Many people are talented. Amazing singers are those that have the ability to transfer emotion to the listener. They can communicate deep, inner feelings through their style of singing.

Gnr did not just create a great album, Appetite is thee greatest rock album. That alone makes Axl the "voice" behind the greatest hard rock album of all time. True, Axl has not been prolific in his output, but it is a simple matter of quality over quantity here.
Six Strings
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:32 AM »

Tottally agree. Great post mate.

"...It don't really matter..."
Liquor & Whores
Rocker

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »

Axl 24, Freddy 19

Axl's is starting to lose this

c'mon guys ! let's vote!

"you nor anyone will ever dictate my actions" - Axl Rose
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »

Axl 24, Freddy 19

Axl's is starting to lose this

c'mon guys ! let's vote!
There's a saying in football that apply here, "points on the board, are better than imagined points won"  ok

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
BlackAces
Headliner

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »

Axl 23%
Freddie 18%

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »

I have just voted for Axl like 30 times, and it still hasn't moved from 23%. But this may not be a bad thing, because it means that loads of votes have been cast. And more importantly, although it seems judging by the percentages that we are just ahead, in terms of votes, I imagine the difference is huge.

Freddie Mercury might require a substantial amount of votes to claw this back, and I doubt it will happen. I just hope the folks at music radar give up and just call Axl Rose the rightful winner.  Wink

Keep voting people, it will count, and it can't be long now.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:21:15 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »

I have just voted for Axl like 30 times, and it still hasn't moved from 23%. But this may not be a bad thing, because it means that loads of votes have been cast.

The greatest drummer poll had over 100,000 votes!  So hopefully you're right.
BlackAces
Headliner

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »

Axl`s lead seems to be holding......still 23% vs Freddie 18%.

Good job, friends!

Axl will take this! Cannot be much longer now......keep voting!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »

Axl`s lead seems to be holding......still 23% vs Freddie 18%.

Good job, friends!

Axl will take this! Cannot be much longer now......keep voting!

Well last night I managed to get him up to 24%, so it has slipped abit. And the bad news is that Freddie is now on 19% instead of just 18%.

People need to vote, there is alot of people who are not and that's cool but it really wouldn't wreck your day to take 3 seconds to vote.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: