Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 08:08:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  2 years since chinese democracy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 years since chinese democracy  (Read 17468 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:25 AM »

I still think Better and Riad are two of the greatest examples of the cutting-edge rock and new approach to the old-school rock riffs I was kinda expecting from the band back in the '90s. And those two are my favorites too. Smiley

Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 04:39:22 PM »

It's a good time to reflect back on the era before the album, what it was like the day it came out, and experiencing the aftermath.

I wrote a piece about it right around the time it came out.  Reading it again today, it still speaks exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

For anyone interested, you can find the piece HERE.

Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

It truly was a melting pot and did have something for everyone, just like Axl said that it would. I still find myself listening to TWAT and IRS pretty frequently.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »

Who can forget the listening parties set up all over the US.

I was listening to an old talking metal podcast where they were at the listening party, and they had an interview with Ron.

Good times indeed.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »

What a great pre-Christmas present that was from Axl at the end of 2008.
My wife truly made it a Christmas present by buying me an extra CD that she framed for me and is still hanging on my wall above my computer monitor. 
On the wall to my right is the actual album framed as well.

Wonderful memories...me and my bro-in-law first at the Best Buy door...cranking that fucker up on the ride home...by the time The Blues started I had tears in my eyes.  I like to call them happy tears.   love

This I Love still hits me in a place no other song can touch.  I sure hope the band knows how much their work is appreciated.
 peace 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
hitmanhart408
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 01:22:34 AM »

Who can forget the listening parties set up all over the US.

I was listening to an old talking metal podcast where they were at the listening party, and they had an interview with Ron.

Good times indeed.

ill never forget the listening parties. one of the best experiences iv ever been a part of.
Gavgnr
VIP

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 05:40:55 AM »

It's so true about liking certain songs more than others at first. But then your faves change and you see CD in a different way.

When I first heard shacklers it just didn't stick with me, but now I love it and I'm so glad I got to hear it live a few weeks back.

‘Get busy livin’, or get busy dyin’
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:58 AM »

What I've been doing lately is adjusting my equaliser settings so as to pick up specific instruments on the different tracks.  Its quite novel and doesn't quite sound right but, I'm really loving the various bits that would otherwise be missed/merged from my "normal" settings.

The various parts that make up Prostitute, TWAT, Madagascar, This I Love and Better are individually stunning, as a whole I'm appreciating these tracks more and more.  I'm not anti the the other tracks, its just I haven't listened to them in this mode too often. Yet.

I'm such a wanna be musician and have 95:5 right/left bias but, I'm so unteachable that the only instrument I am capable of playing is the tamborine or triangle  hihi

Would so love to play the guitar or drums and living in a detached house have the main tools to facilitate this (no p1$$1ng off the neighbours), but without spending copious amounts of time doing something that I don't have a talent for isn't something I can do.  So I have taken the option to lean towards finding out the individual contributions
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:48:40 AM by wight gunner » Logged

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »

I'm such a wanna be musician and have 95:5 right/left bias but, I'm so unteachable that the only instrument I am capable of playing is the tamborine or triangle  hihi

Im just so unteachable as well, but i would love to be a musician, or to have the talent to be one haha hihi

I also do what you do with the equalizer on the chinese democracy tracks, and its great to hear the little bits in the background

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »

i have been GNR's biggest fan since 1988.  But to be honest...i haven't listened to it in a year and a half.  IT WAS JUST OK...NOTHING SPECIAL AND HAS NO REPLAY VALUE.  if he has nothing better in store then my favorite band IS OFFICIALLY DEAD. 

Wow. I had to do a double take just to confirm that I am in fact posting on a GNR fan forum.  Roll Eyes

How anyone could come to such a conclusion after listening to the album is beyond me. I've been listening to the album consistently since it's release, and while my most listened to tracks do change (currently IRS and TWAT), I can't even begin to grasp someone making comments like yours and truly meaning it. By chance, did you tell yourself that you were going to feel this way even before giving the album a fair listen? I don't mean to throw stones, but listening to your description of how you feel about the album and seeing your avatar does make me wonder this.

If Axl has something that is even half as good as Chinese D in store for us, I will be a very, very happy and appreciative fan.
cbeier78
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »

i think a large part of it for me is i ruint it for myself.  i listened to the leaks steady for 2 years and also heard a large portion of it live a couple times.  and now that i've read through the comments i find myself to be a lying, bumbling idiot.  IT IS GREAT....there are some great songs on it...i honestly think the leaks destroyed it for me.  it had no wow or surprise element to it.  I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.  and i hope there is no possibility for that to ever happen to another album again.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »

I still think Better and Riad are two of the greatest examples of the cutting-edge rock and new approach to the old-school rock riffs I was kinda expecting from the band back in the '90s. And those two are my favorites too. Smiley

Yes I agree.

Although This I Love is my favourite, Better is a close 2nd. I remember thinking how perfectly it sounded when I first heard it. Almost like it was robotic, how the lyrics went perfectly with the guitar power chords.

And Riad is a fine example of industrial rock, it's fast paced tempo goes brilliantly with the howls of Axl. I never realised how catchy this song was until I listened to the HOB bootleg from 2001.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »

Level Of Musicians

drool drool drool

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Conan
Headliner

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »

Sorry still blows me away. I regrettably heard the leaks too, I'm no "downloading motherf*cker" though the same can't be said of some of my Guns loving friends, but Sorry was completely unheard of (by me). It was awesome then and it's awesome now.

To those who don't like it, "I'm sorry for you, not sorry for me..."

Wink 
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:59 PM »

I still have my Vinyl sealed, but that will change soon. Chinese Democracy is too damn good to be sealed for the rest of it's days, I'm gonna open it up and look at all the artwork.  Grin

I'm getting fond memories from the release, as this was the time of the year it all happened. I do believe it is the best album ever, so much magic. When I first got the album I used to go to my room, turn all the lights off, and just listen to the album in it's entirety.

CD represents so much more than just quality music, but also hope, freedom, maturity. It also solidifies all of the fans patience and religious devotion during all these years. It's kind of like being able to physically hold a myth, and an iconic cultured piece of art. And you still can't believe you are holding this diamond, which you wondered and longed for, on a daily basis for a substantial part of your life.

This is the promised land, and we have finally reached the pot of gold at the end of the storm.

Lets rejoice Gunners.  Grin
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2010, 08:00:12 AM »

Well, after getting my holy grail (aka chinese democracy), Im just waiting for the other one: Gran Turismo 5 for PS3. hihi

Bring it on Duke Nukken Forever! headbanger

About CD: I even took a picture with my buddy at the store the day we bought it. I ordered 2 copies (the other one to my wife). But I think I didnt play it more than 5 times - I always listen to the mp3 version. But I do love to take a look at the artwork and linear notes. Grin

LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

Two years later N' it still sounds fresh!!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2010, 08:37:22 PM »

I just want to wish Chinese Democracy a Happy Birthday, it has been 2 years to the day. I will never forget Nov 23rd 2008, what a magical time.

Thank you Axl and Guns N' Roses for creating the best album ever.  Wink

beer
Farid Bak
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »

Here Today..
inlikeflynn420
Rocker

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke!

« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2010, 12:52:36 AM »

I remember like yesterday going to get the CD. Also got the vinyl (even though I don't own a record player). The guy I went with said his roommate had a sweet turntable setup, so we listened to the first half in the car and the second half on the record player. I still listen to the cd all the time. What is amazing to me is that even after 2 years of constant listening, I STILL hear new stuff on the songs. I was listening to it at the gym on my mp3 just the other day and I just stopped working out for a few minutes and held my earphones tight to my ears and listened to layers of music I didn't even realize were there before. Incredible. I think that is part of why the album was underappreciated. There is SO much going on musically that to the casual listener they just miss so much of that, or just don't care, they just maybe want it to be simpler, even though that is a big part of what makes this music so incredible. To celebrate the anniversary, I plan on putting on the headphones and just listening to the CD alone and enjoying all of the layers and subtleties.   
beer

8.4.88Philly
6.11.91Hershey
7.17.92D.C.
12.6.2Philly*
10.25.6Tampa
11.13.6Baltimore
1.28.10Toronto
11.20.11WilkesBarre
11.26.11Camden
2.27.12Philly
5.13.14Bethlehem