Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228109 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dave Navarro: Why I Didn't Join Guns N' Roses
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dave Navarro: Why I Didn't Join Guns N' Roses  (Read 9253 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: October 21, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

Jarmo is also quoted in the beginning of the podcast (not about Dave, but regarding Duff's appearance in London).

DAVE NAVARRO: Why I Didn't Join GUNS N' ROSES - Oct. 19, 2010

Episode 325 of the "Talking Metal" podcast (web site) features an interview with JANE'S ADDICTION/ex-RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS guitarist Dave Navarro.

Regarding the rumor that he almost joined GUNS N' ROSES, Navarro stated, "When Izzy [Stradlin] left the band, Axl [Rose] called me to be a member of GUNS. There are a number of reasons that it didn't work out. If I could pick one, it would be my own heroin addiction. At the time we were just kinda coming from different places. They got Gilby [Clarke] which was a perfect choice for them and I went on to the Chili PEPPERS and everyone came out ahead and it was cool. We have always had a great respect for one another, everybody in GUNS and everybody in JANE'S."

The podcast can be streamed using the audio player below (Note: The Navarro interview begins 17 minutes into the episode, the GNR mention at 27:25.)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147968

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »

I dunno, but I think it wouldn't work so well back then.

zombux
Legend

watching the sky moves sideways...

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »

interesting, remember he got back again for a while, to play solo on Oh My God

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:07 AM »

I was always under the impression that he was asked to join when he did Oh My God, too. Maybe not, though.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:40:29 AM »

He said he spent just a couple of hours in the studio recording the solo. He even said Axl didnt give him a direction, but rather freedom to jam (although he had asked to play with more feeling, as I recall).

So, I guess Navarro was only considered as a member back in the early 90's. He just played a solo in 99 because Robin had gone, the plan was to bring some guys to record lead in some tracks, but not all of them - hence why Brian May only recorded for a couple of songs.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »

Dave Navarro is asked "so you said no to Guns N' Roses" in this video interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6YRhJ-k098

AXL DEMOCRACY
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »

I have to laugh at these "journalists" that think this is breaking news.  Back in the day when MTV actually reported on music and had hourly updates, this was a hot topic for weeks in '91.

"The art comes first.  It dictates if not the course [then] the destination artistically." - W. Axl Rose
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »

I'm not a fan of Janes Addiction so I can't give my opinion on his guitar abilities. But he always talks highly of GN'R when interviewed it seems, so I guess he's a cool guy.

I wasn't aware either of Navarro being asked to join in 91. I always thought Gilby was the first choice, since he resembled Izzy and played in the same style as Izzy.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:02:51 PM »

I'm not a fan of Janes Addiction so I can't give my opinion on his guitar abilities. But he always talks highly of GN'R when interviewed it seems, so I guess he's a cool guy.

I wasn't aware either of Navarro being asked to join in 91. I always thought Gilby was the first choice, since he resembled Izzy and played in the same style as Izzy.

Axl had wanted Navarro after Izzy left. Slash jammed with him and realized that he was on drugs, reported that back to Axl, and they moved on to Gilby. At least according to the Slash book.

EDIT: I think Slash had scheduled some jam sessions which Navarro failed to show up for. Not sure they ever played together.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
bolton
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »

I don't like Dave a lot...Guilby was a perfect decision
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »

HP: Wasn?t Dave rumored to be joining Guns N? Roses after Izzy left?

AXL: Yeah, there was a lot of talk about that, and we were very open to it. But it just wasn?t the right time in Dave?s life for it to happen.
He was kind of needing the time to just see where he was at, and he?s been very successful at that. But the idea of working with him
excites me to no end because I still put on Jane?s Addiction and it always seems brand new, no matter how many times I hear it.
I?d like to try to achieve a fusion of what they were trying and what GN?R is doing. I think that blend, if taken seriously and patiently,
could be amazing. It could be a fuller thing than anyone?s done before. Dave and Slash together could be incredible ? two guys very
?out there? on their own, working together. It?s like the first time I met Slash, I said, ?The world?s gotta see this guy.? That?s why when
he plays with other people or does solo things it totally gets me off and makes me happy. It secures his place in rock history as a guitarist.
I feel the same way about Dave. Obviously, I have a much closer bond with Slash, being involved with him for so many years, but I think
the world kind of missed Dave. I?d really like to help fix that.

Hit Parader, April 2005

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »

I prefer to focus on the now versus caring about why some guitar player didn't join the band 20 years ago.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »

AXL: Yeah, there was a lot of talk about that, and we were very open to it. But it just wasn?t the right time in Dave?s life for it to happen.
He was kind of needing the time to just see where he was at, and he?s been very successful at that. But the idea of working with him
excites me to no end because I still put on Jane?s Addiction and it always seems brand new, no matter how many times I hear it.
I?d like to try to achieve a fusion of what they were trying and what GN?R is doing. I think that blend, if taken seriously and patiently,
could be amazing. It could be a fuller thing than anyone?s done before. Dave and Slash together could be incredible ? two guys very
?out there? on their own, working together. It?s like the first time I met Slash, I said, ?The world?s gotta see this guy.? That?s why when
he plays with other people or does solo things it totally gets me off and makes me happy. It secures his place in rock history as a guitarist.
I feel the same way about Dave. Obviously, I have a much closer bond with Slash, being involved with him for so many years, but I think

Hit Parader, April 2005

Thanks for posting this -- it's interesting to see what Axl had to say about Dave Navarro.  I had never read that before.

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Hit Parader, April 2005

Thanks for posting this -- it's interesting to see what Axl had to say about Dave Navarro.  I had never read that before.

That interview is from 92 or 93. Hit Parader must have reprinted it in 2005.

I prefer to focus on the now versus caring about why some guitar player didn't join the band 20 years ago.

Great! Move on to another topic then.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »

Jesus Christ man, what's up with you.  Roll Eyes

This discussion is just as much to do with the new era, Dave played on Oh My God. If jarmo wants to move this when he sees fit, that's up to him.

No harm in discussing this here I feel, and thanks for posting that interview Den, very interesting.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:09:56 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »

Axl had wanted Navarro after Izzy left. Slash jammed with him and realized that he was on drugs, reported that back to Axl, and they moved on to Gilby. At least according to the Slash book.

EDIT: I think Slash had scheduled some jam sessions which Navarro failed to show up for. Not sure they ever played together.

not quite. Dave never showed up for the jam sessions, that's how Slash realized he was on drugs. i think they tried to schedule a jam 2 or 3 times without him showing up.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Duke Nukem
Opening Act

Here today ...

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

Jesus Chris man, what's up with you.  Roll Eyes

This discussion is just as much to do with the new era, Dave played on Oh My God. If jarmo wants to move this when he sees fit, that's up to him.

No harm in discussing this here I feel, and thanks for posting that interview Den, very interesting.

I realize that the decision to move a thread is up to the forum administration. I was just saying that I prefer to focus on the current band and their endeavors versus concerning myself with why some guy made the decision not to join the band 20 years prior. That's all.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »

That interview is from 92 or 93. Hit Parader must have reprinted it in 2005.

I just read the rest of the interview, and you're right, it's from 92.

I was just saying that I prefer to focus on the current band and their endeavors versus concerning myself with why some guy made the decision not to join the band 20 years prior. That's all.

It's an interesting piece of Guns N' Roses history, that's all.  I can take a look at this and focus on the current band's endeavors as well.

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »

personnaly my brain allows me to do both.

and yes of course it's a 90s interview. you can read the whole thing here > http://is.gd/gQKQU

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 02:10:30 AM »

I think Dave is a lot more like Finck then anyone else in Guns. Having said that, the band is a much different one then the freak show years (The height of creativity clearly for the new GN'R (until they stop doing shows and get down to business again)). Dave would have fit like a glove. I would have liked to have seen him step in when Finck left instead of DJ. As a JA fan it would have softened the blow better for me. Bucket and Finck suddenly not being there was a real fucked up one two punch that left me bloodied and bruised. I am still not completely feeling DJ. A new album anywhere near the same Universe as Chinese Democracy would change this absolutely.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: