Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 12:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228108 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses - Dublin, Ireland Sept. 1st 2010
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses - Dublin, Ireland Sept. 1st 2010  (Read 150657 times)
Hale
Headliner

« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2010, 01:01:22 PM »

I can totally understand Axl's frustration but it was a sad situation all around. I don't think the thousands of fans in the audience were happy with this performance and I don't think the other members of the band were happy either to have Axl just standing there.

To make an analogy, if people start trolling this forum jarmo is not going to come out and say "you can all stop that right now or I'm going home." Nope, he hits the delete button and gets rid of the problem, the delete key on his keyboard is probably wore out already.

It's fucking stupid to give the idiots the attention they're clamoring for. If Axl actually left when he wanted to the people who threw the bottle would laugh their way out of the arena while thousands would be just standing there in disappointment. How can that be the optimal situation?

I'm not saying the events of the show were Axl's responsibility but I do believe the situation could have been addressed differently for the better enjoyment of the fans and the band.

And to all the people on this forum who don't see the big deal... when you've been waiting for GN'R for years and Axl stops the show on the first song threatening to go home, it's shit. You feel powerless as the night you've been hyping up for a long time is just about to fly out of your hands just as you're about to grab it.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »

I can totally understand Axl's frustration but it was a sad situation all around. I don't think the thousands of fans in the audience were happy with this performance and I don't think the other members of the band were happy either to have Axl just standing there.

To make an analogy, if people start trolling this forum jarmo is not going to come out and say "you can all stop that right now or I'm going home." Nope, he hits the delete button and gets rid of the problem, the delete key on his keyboard is probably wore out already.

It's fucking stupid to give the idiots the attention they're clamoring for. If Axl actually left when he wanted to the people who threw the bottle would laugh their way out of the arena while thousands would be just standing there in disappointment. How can that be the optimal situation?

I'm not saying the events of the show were Axl's responsibility but I do believe the situation could have been addressed differently for the better enjoyment of the fans and the band.

And to all the people on this forum who don't see the big deal... when you've been waiting for GN'R for years and Axl stops the show on the first song threatening to go home, it's shit. You feel powerless as the night you've been hyping up for a long time is just about to fly out of your hands just as you're about to grab it.

Ok so then tell me where you work and I'll come throw bottles at you. I mean hey it's not an optimal situation for you but if you leave you're just giving in to what I want right?
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Me personally, I don't mind waiting for a few hours when it's GNR, and I know most of you don't either.

But in order to avoid all the negativity and accusations of coming on too late, wouldn't it be a better strategy to state the realistic time schedule on the tickets and promotion of the show? I don't know for sure, but from my own experiences and what I've read my impression is that 10.30 pm is close to the average time that Axl's inner clock says that it is time to hit the stage. Then you could have something like

"Doors opening 7.30 pm" (or whenever the arena sees fit)
"ETA opening act: 9 pm"
"ETA main act: 10.30 pm"

and if he comes on at 11, no problem, no hostility (hopefully). just make sure to have the agreement in place with the authorities and/or venue as to avoid curfew issues etc. and play at the places where these terms are accepted.

because as long as GNR gigs are open to the general public, there will always be people that get angry when the band doesn't show up at the time they expect them to. Even if Axl has a reputation for being "late", I still don't think the general public always have that in mind when they buy their tickets.

---

in other words, not go on stage earlier in order to please the public, but to be more specific in a "here's the deal, take it or leave it" way so that nobody have the right to complain and those who have a problem with that can stay at home.

Having said that, we don't know if that was the reason why the individuals in Dublin threw bottles. Maybe they were just out ta get GNR, or simply plain stupid? I would've hoped other security and/or other crowd members hunted them down and kicked the shit out of them, though. A bottle can be lethal if it hits you in the temple.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

LOL LOL Axl just stands there, <3 the walkoff hihi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyZLIQ-WO1A

Yeah, he doesn't look pleased.

And how did they do this?

Guns N' Roses Promoter Apologises For Dublin Gig

MCD release statement to Gigwise...

They also confirmed that Rose was restrained from leaving the venue when he initially left the stage.

?The artist was prevented from leaving the venue by the promoter and following backstage discussions Guns N' Roses went back on stage at 23.20 hrs and performed their full set until 00.53 hrs,? the statement said.

And from the BBC:

A joint statement issued by promoters MCD and the O2 has apologised to fans for the late running but added: "No artist should be subjected to missiles and unknown substances being thrown at them."

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »

Well, if u went to his work and did that u would be arrested. its a security issue as well. someone has to pay attention to the crowd and remove people doing this. fans need to be proactive and alert security to bad behavior.

or like many venues in the US, no bottles are permitted.. ur beer,water,soda whatever is poured into plastic cups.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »

Well, if u went to his work and did that u would be arrested. its a security issue as well. someone has to pay attention to the crowd and remove people doing this. fans need to be proactive and alert security to bad behavior.

or like many venues in the US, no bottles are permitted.. ur beer,water,soda whatever is poured into plastic cups.

Is it not the same thing throwing bottles at a show then? The band is there to play a show (aka do their job) not be pelted with bottles. As for removing people from the crowd who is throwing bottles, that is nearly impossible unless the security guards actually see someone throw shit with their own eyes.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »

That's exactly what happened here in Sao Paulo. Still, after Axl's warning, the show went on flawlessly and he was in good spirits.

But what happened last night was a totally different situation. And people throwing piss bottles at you can't be compared to Jarmo hitting the ban/delete button to deal with trolls in ANY way.

GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »

Are you seriously trying to compare how to handle trolls on an internet message board with things being thrown at a performer while onstage? Axl doesn't have a delete button when his health and well being, as well of that of the band and crew are being threatened by low lifes acting like a bunch of pussies. If your whole night depends on whether or not the band gets on stage and plays a whole show the way you want it then I suggest getting out and meeting some people.

I've seen GNR twice and both without any preconceived notions of how the night would go. I went in with the attitude that if they showed up, great. If they didn't, so what. I'm still going to have a good night regardless. They showed up both times and put on a great show, with '06 far overshadowing '02 but that's just my opinion.

For those people who hinge their whole existence on whether or not someone or something is going to do or happen the way they want it I recommend just ending it now because life is going to be one big disappointment.  ok
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2010, 01:29:52 PM »

Is it not the same thing throwing bottles at a show then? The band is there to play a show (aka do their job) not be pelted with bottles. As for removing people from the crowd who is throwing bottles, that is nearly impossible unless the security guards actually see someone throw shit with their own eyes.

It is and the person caught would be ejected. thats why u should turn on the house lights. tell the crowd if they see anyone throwing bottles to alert security immediately because if they throw something else and are not caught, they will leave.

that is better than just walking off cause people who paid a shitload of money then will not tolerate someone throwing bottles etc and they will then see whoever it is aroundthem doing it, can then alert security.

very hard to conceal throwing a bottle without someone seeing u do it. especially launching one.

The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »

This "coming on late" thing still continues to boggle my mind. Every single show people write and talk about it like it's the first time. He's literally been doing it since the band started in the mid-80's. Why is it such a surprise each and every time - especially after so many years of it continuing?

I believe he's even said before that if you have a problem with the way he does things...simply don't go. It's that simple. You know they go on late, you know the situation well. Don't go! Don't ignore 25 years of consistent history and think that the one show you purchased a ticket for is going to be the one where he changes his routine. He's come out and said in several interviews over the years that he goes on late for several reasons. If you STILL don't like those reasons? Don't go!

Then people, despite ignoring history and logic, use their "lateness" as some sort of an excuse to act like primitive barbarians and ruin things for everybody else. Even if you've inaccurately convinced yourself that Axl Rose is arriving late on purpose to specifically inconvenience you, personally or you've purposely ignored 25 years of consistent history where he's done this every show - two wrongs don't make a right. Act like an adult and either enjoy the show they put on or kindly leave. Sounds pretty simple to me.

I don't think I'll ever understand certain people sometimes...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #290 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

Right was at the show last night and when guns were on stage they had from I can see the crowd who stayed in the palm of their hands.
Enjoyed talking to DJ after the show with a few others who hung around. He is such a nice guy and no ego.

Interesting pieces of info
- Axl wanted DJ in GNR since 2002 but DJ was busy and didn't work out.
-Him getting into GNR was a "if he turns up it's his" thing
- Phil Lynotts mothers gave the band a small version of the Phil Lynott statue in dublin.  

Right the whole shit about gnr being an hour and a half late isn't true. Danko Jones finished at 9.15 irish time and according to MCD, Guns were meant to be onstage at 9.45, so really it wasn't as bad as people made out. Also the O2 arena have a lot to  answer for. Why were bottle been sold in the building in the first place ?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #291 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:29 PM »

Are you seriously trying to compare how to handle trolls on an internet message board with things being thrown at a performer while onstage? Axl doesn't have a delete button when his health and well being, as well of that of the band and crew are being threatened by low lifes acting like a bunch of pussies. If your whole night depends on whether or not the band gets on stage and plays a whole show the way you want it then I suggest getting out and meeting some people.

I've seen GNR twice and both without any preconceived notions of how the night would go. I went in with the attitude that if they showed up, great. If they didn't, so what. I'm still going to have a good night regardless. They showed up both times and put on a great show, with '06 far overshadowing '02 but that's just my opinion.

For those people who hinge their whole existence on whether or not someone or something is going to do or happen the way they want it I recommend just ending it now because life is going to be one big disappointment.  ok

yeah dude but that is as bad an analogy as his delete button
when u pay hundreds of dollars and have a ticket, u shouldn't have to worry about the performance. so that last paragraph there i completely disagree with. when i buy a ticket and travel,pay hotel etc.. i expect a kick ass show and should be able to have preconceived notions that i am in for the night of my life. thats an entertainers job to make sure that happens.

Aerosmith fucked me over twice.. as much as i love them, i will never pay or travel to see them ever again. won't do it.

Hale
Headliner

« Reply #292 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »

That's exactly what happened here in Sao Paulo. Still, after Axl's warning, the show went on flawlessly and he was in good spirits.

But what happened last night was a totally different situation. And people throwing piss bottles at you can't be compared to Jarmo hitting the ban/delete button to deal with trolls in ANY way.

Yep, I was there in SP. Thinking about that show makes me laugh at the idiots complaining that the show starting at 10:20 was late.  hihi

To the people missing my point: I don't think the problem is that Axl decided to leave after evaluating that the situation could not be resolved. When the first bottle was thrown at him, what does he say? "we're going home". What else could he say? He could say "Who was the little fucker over here? We're not restarting the show until we've kicked your ass out of here". Axl addresses the crowd as a hole and not the idiots who throw things, which are 1-5 out of 15.000. That's 0.03%.

He's attitude should be directed at the clowns and not the entire crowd like it was.

Notice the difference?

It doesn't change the fact that it's appalling that people would throw a bottle of piss at another human being.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #293 on: September 02, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »

Interesting (and good for some change of topic here, haha). I wonder if he would have Fortus spot...

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

I am one of those who have never gotten GNR anywhere near where i live and if they ever do come close.. i could care less about start time.

will they ever come here though is the question.........Thats the only reason i am ever "negative" or play the otherside cause if this Euro tour goes well, maybe US is next... if the Euro tour doesn't go well........... maybe not.

so yeah, i have a vested interest on how this plays out cause i would like to see them. I have the means now to even travel a lot further than i did in the past. 2006 being a poor college student, i had no funds to travel.. 2010 i can go places on the East Coast. so i want success so we can get a tour here.

I live on the East Coast and that's my feeling as well. All this BS scares off some of the public and most of the promoters and lessens the chance that I'm going to get to see them near me.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
André Menk
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

thank's for the pics !!!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #296 on: September 02, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »

Right was at the show last night and when guns were on stage they had from I can see the crowd who stayed in the palm of their hands.
Enjoyed talking to DJ after the show with a few others who hung around. He is such a nice guy and no ego.

- Phil Lynotts mothers gave the band a small version of the Phil Lynott statue in dublin.  

Right the whole shit about gnr being an hour and a half late isn't true. Danko Jones finished at 9.15 irish time and according to MCD, Guns were meant to be onstage at 9.45, so really it wasn't as bad as people made out. Also the O2 arena have a lot to  answer for. Why were bottle been sold in the building in the first place ?
Did you talk to DJ about what happened in Dublin?

Ali
GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »

yeah dude but that is as bad an analogy as his delete button
when u pay hundreds of dollars and have a ticket, u shouldn't have to worry about the performance. so that last paragraph there i completely disagree with. when i buy a ticket and travel,pay hotel etc.. i expect a kick ass show and should be able to have preconceived notions that i am in for the night of my life. thats an entertainers job to make sure that happens.

Aerosmith fucked me over twice.. as much as i love them, i will never pay or travel to see them ever again. won't do it.

Look, I get where you're coming from but in the big scheme of life, getting upset over something you have no control over and letting it ruin your day or night isn't worth it. It's up to you, not any entertainer to make sure you have the time of your life. That's all I'm saying.

The formula of life in my opinion is 10% + 90% = 100% life. The ten percent is what happens to you, and the ninety percent is how you react to it.

Getting angry about Guns or anyone else either not showing up or starting late is just one example of how so many people allow outside circumstances to control their lives. I personally don't like to give anyone that kind of control over me anymore. So Axl doesn't show up? Maybe I'll go back to the hotel with my wife and have the best night of sex in my life? Maybe I'll go home and write a song about it and get a hit. I'm certainly not going to throw anything at someone or go cry in my Diet Coke. Life is what YOU make it.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2010, 01:57:45 PM »

Ali

I did about ten people talked to him for about half an hour forty minutes.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #299 on: September 02, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »

Ali

I did about ten people talked to him for about half an hour forty minutes.

Well, don't keep us in suspense.  What did he say about what happened last night?  What was his take?

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: