Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Axl Rose - the 1992 Rolling Stone Interview
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Axl Rose - the 1992 Rolling Stone Interview  (Read 8298 times)
GW2
Opening Act

« on: August 23, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »

Greetings,

I am a long time viewer and a first time poster. I would like to thank Jarmo for allowing me to post this on the HTGTH forum. I have often seen some people who get frustrated when the world of GNR does not go the way they feel it should, as if they are owed something from Axl Rose or the band. It frustrates me to no end. I also have encountered numerous people in my life who like to ask me "How can you like Axl Rose/Guns N Roses, he doesn't respect his fans, late starts, riots, etc." I felt this would be a good forum for enlightening a lot of people as to why I so loyally follow the band, and to explain the impact that Axl Rose has had on my life.

I did not have the greatest childhood growing up. I was faced with sexual, mental, and physical abuse. I grew up in an alcoholic home, and I never ever felt like I fit in anywhere. Not at school, not at home, and not on sports teams. I spent most of my time holed up in my room by myslef focused on the things that I truly enjoyed. As I transitioned from childhood into adoloesence, one of my biggest interests was music, specifically Guns N Roses. I was hooked the very first time that I heard AFD. I remember reading Metal Edge religiously looking for updates on the band. I remember when Steven got kicked out, Matt being introduced, and waiting on baited breath for the release of Use Your Illusion.

I must have spent a week straight in my room listening to those records when they finally came out. I remember just feeling drawn to so many of the lyrics. There was a lot of anger, and it appealed to me because I was angry too. I felt alone, I felt different, and I really had no one to relate to other than these records. I really idolized Axl Rose, certainly more than the other band members. I would search for anything and everything about the band and one day while I was grounded I found a copy of Rolling Stone magazine, featuring an interview with Axl Rose that would really change my life.

In this interview Axl spoke very candidly about his childhood, the abuse and difficulties that he faced, and for once in my life, I didn't feel alone. I didn't feel like I was the only one who had faced terrible things. Above all else, I felt like I could actually overcome those issues and have success in my life. From that moment on I admired a man who had the courage to talk about things that I held tightly to my soul. I admired the courage that it took bare his demons. It truly inspired me to overcome my own, and I finally felt like there was someone in the world that I could actually relate. Someone else could feel my pain. From that day on I have had to fight back the urge to punch someone who knocks Axl Rose, because without his courage in that interview, my world may be very different, and I could have still been a very lonely 12 year old kid stuck in my bedroom.

So for those people who knock Axl Rose for whatever reason, I simply ask that perhaps they think about the positives that he has added to not only my life, but others too. He's a very courageous survivor of of very unordinary circumstances and to this day, he remains my hero. Following his lead I have written a book about the struggles I have faced in my own life, hoping that perhaps I can do the same thing that he did, inspire someone to overcome their own challenges. I have devoted an entire chapter to my admiration for Axl about this same topic. Not really trying to shell by product, but really hopeful that somehow he'll know that he made a difference. At least for me.

Thank you Axl, and thank you Jarmo for alowing me to post this.

http://www.amazon.com/About-Man-Wall-Alcoholism-Recovery/dp/1453692622/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281368139&sr=1-4
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »

Very good post. And I agree a lot of us became the hardcore gnr fans we are from interviews with Axl like that one. I was a fan before that,  but not the dedicated fan that I became after reading that article and the 3 part one he did with Del James for RIP. Too me music is the best form of therapy one can get. And Axl's words and music have done a great job on me.
It's nice to see a long time viewer post. Hope this opens you up too posting more often.
peace out
amy

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:59:57 PM »

Great post man. Congrats for you book - seems like it had really nice reviews from people on Amazon.

Keep rockin' Smiley

Satapher
Wings Of Redemption
VIP

GODS N' ROSES

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »

Awesome post! it is always welcome and healthy to read these painful experiences where Music help you to keep your feet on earth, and what a nice gesture to dedicate an entire chapter in your book about Axl.
Hope your experiences and your book will help many others who really needs an honest hand.

1992.11.29 Bogota, COL
2001.12.31 Las Vegas, USA
2002.12.05 New York City, USA
2010.03.30 Bogota, COL
2016.07.27 Atlanta, USA
2016.11.23 Medellin, COL
2022.06.15 Stavanger, NOR
2023.06.21 Oslo,
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »

very kool.
i often wanna punch those who speak shit about axl.respect the man and also relate to things about axl.so i loved what you said.thank -you i needed that !
see i relate to axl rose when he disapeared ,i had done the same.got out of a lifestyle that could kill me,for real dead six feet down like.
so this was a simlarite i can see axl getting out of things and staying to himself.me i feel in love and lived a crazy drunking life regardless.
but the biker club scene just got worse and i got better ,well kinna lol. but i respect axl so much and would really stick up for him anytime anywere.

the one an only horsey !
Farid Bak
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »

great post, and rhanks for sharing this with us, also hope you have great succes with your book so it may reach manyy and help

Here Today..
Evita
Rocker

Yes, it's me!

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Very touching.

Guns N' Roses - W. Axl Rose
You can visit www.gnrwar.com
Chief
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »

Thank you, such an awesome post!!!  glad that you were so inspired and thanks for sharing.

i also hope Axl does another in depth interview someday...

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
w.david rose
Rocker

"I Believe In Israel"- W.AXL ROSE 13.06.06

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:06:20 AM »

Thanks dude!
great post

the most sick fan in the middle east
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »

Hold up, is this a pr move to sell a book? I mean yea, I feel bad for you dude for your fucked up childhood. But, I can't fathom any fan in here not knowing about Axl's. Nothing you mentioned is a revelation. Man, maybe a lot of people here were born with a silver spoon (but, I kind of doubt it) where I come from and GN'R for that matter, shit was chaos and many times just flat out violent. I don't mean to come off as incentive but, this all seems like a convenient commercial to sell your book to the logical crowd who might be interested.

Let's be honest friends. I think the main reason we all love Axl is because we are all a little fucked and came from some fucked backgrounds and were drawn to GNR because the music was therapy to each and every one of us. Nothing unique here at all. I bet if we were to list shit that happened to us we would see very common experiences. I don't feel like getting into it personally but just think its obvious why you and the rest of us are drawn to Axl.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »

I'm not sure it's that simple.

People like an artist, GN'R in this case, for many reasons.

Some like them just because they look right, say the right things, others just like singing along to the songs, others find meaning in lyrics etc etc etc.

For some the music makes them happy so they like it. Others relate to the lyrics so it makes them feel like they're not alone.

You find out you like an artist/a band because it does something to you that other music doesn't.

In this case, it wasn't just the music that made a huge impression on him.

I mean, we all are here because of the music. But then some have experiences that aren't really just about the music.

You might have gone to a GN'R concert and decided you want to start a band. Maybe you read an Axl interview and it made you research something he mentioned... That kind of things.

I think it's pretty cool when those things happen.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gracie2006
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »

dumb question  is there a link the Axl 1992 interview?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »

Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview
Rolling Stone, April 2nd 1992, RS627

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gracie2006
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »

thank you sir!
GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »

Hold up, is this a pr move to sell a book? I mean yea, I feel bad for you dude for your fucked up childhood. But, I can't fathom any fan in here not knowing about Axl's. Nothing you mentioned is a revelation. Man, maybe a lot of people here were born with a silver spoon (but, I kind of doubt it) where I come from and GN'R for that matter, shit was chaos and many times just flat out violent. I don't mean to come off as incentive but, this all seems like a convenient commercial to sell your book to the logical crowd who might be interested.

Let's be honest friends. I think the main reason we all love Axl is because we are all a little fucked and came from some fucked backgrounds and were drawn to GNR because the music was therapy to each and every one of us. Nothing unique here at all. I bet if we were to list shit that happened to us we would see very common experiences. I don't feel like getting into it personally but just think its obvious why you and the rest of us are drawn to Axl.

Not trying to do a PR move or sell books. Just wanted to share my experience and make a point to and about all of those people who slam Axl Rose. My point being that he has done so many good things such as inspire other people with similar experiences. My intent was to applaud his courage in sharing his turmoil with others, something I never had the courage to do until I saw his bravery. Take from it what you will, or go about your day thinking I'm a PR whore. I don't really care which. And honestly the little kid in me would like him to know the impact that he has had on my life and I don't really think we'll be sitting down to coffee any time soon. I figured this would be as close as I'll ever get so I asked Jarmo beforehand and he gave me the greenlight. The last thing I wanted to do was try and sell everyone a book. I don't care if I sell two or two thousand copies as long as there is a possibility that I may be able to help someone the way that Axl's interview helped me.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

Not trying to do a PR move or sell books. Just wanted to share my experience and make a point to and about all of those people who slam Axl Rose. My point being that he has done so many good things such as inspire other people with similar experiences. My intent was to applaud his courage in sharing his turmoil with others, something I never had the courage to do until I saw his bravery. Take from it what you will, or go about your day thinking I'm a PR whore. I don't really care which. And honestly the little kid in me would like him to know the impact that he has had on my life and I don't really think we'll be sitting down to coffee any time soon. I figured this would be as close as I'll ever get so I asked Jarmo beforehand and he gave me the greenlight. The last thing I wanted to do was try and sell everyone a book. I don't care if I sell two or two thousand copies as long as there is a possibility that I may be able to help someone the way that Axl's interview helped me.

Hey man look, I commend you for even being able to write and publish a book. That is pretty cool. I think though you will find, that most of us here and in other GNR boards, that most of us feel the exact same sentiments about Axl as your own. I know on this site particularly many have shared personal stories about Axl and what GN'R has meant to us in our life and really, yours is very cool to hear too. I am a natural born skeptic and your link to Amazon was a red flag. If the J man says it was cool to include that then who the fuck am I right? It just seems it would be a little purer to say you were inspired to write a book and somehow it got picked up by a publisher. People could have then chosen to pursue it and PM'd you.

The truth is, is that this is like preaching to the choir. I would be much more excited if I saw your story in a non GNR board. We all feel the same way about Axl I think. I know I do. Maybe on a NPR show or somewhere where people don't even give a moments thought about Axl and GN'R. That would be really cool. To convert almost, the outsiders and the ex Axl haters.

GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »

Hey man look, I commend you for even being able to write and publish a book. That is pretty cool. I think though you will find, that most of us here and in other GNR boards, that most of us feel the exact same sentiments about Axl as your own. I know on this site particularly many have shared personal stories about Axl and what GN'R has meant to us in our life and really, yours is very cool to hear too. I am a natural born skeptic and your link to Amazon was a red flag. If the J man says it was cool to include that then who the fuck am I right? It just seems it would be a little purer to say you were inspired to write a book and somehow it got picked up by a publisher. People could have then chosen to pursue it and PM'd you.

The truth is, is that this is like preaching to the choir. I would be much more excited if I saw your story in a non GNR board. We all feel the same way about Axl I think. I know I do. Maybe on a NPR show or somewhere where people don't even give a moments thought about Axl and GN'R. That would be really cool. To convert almost, the outsiders and the ex Axl haters.

I actually published it myself at my own expense. I'm sorry if you find my link offensive, that was not my intent. Just wanted to share.
LIGuns
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

I still have 2 issues, 1 in wrap n' the 1 I read..
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »

I actually published it myself at my own expense. I'm sorry if you find my link offensive, that was not my intent. Just wanted to share.

No shit? That is cool man. You ever think to try and share your story with one of the papers, or an NPR program like All Things Considered? Your story would make a good public interest story. Hell, it would be nice for someone to share a positive story in a news outlet regarding the man and his music.

GW2
Opening Act

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »

No shit? That is cool man. You ever think to try and share your story with one of the papers, or an NPR program like All Things Considered? Your story would make a good public interest story. Hell, it would be nice for someone to share a positive story in a news outlet regarding the man and his music.

I hadn't. Might be a good thing to do though. I guess my biggest obstacle is I'm not certain how to approach those outlets. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: