Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Jay-Z Shouts Out Axl Rose On Kanye West 'Power' Remix
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jay-Z Shouts Out Axl Rose On Kanye West 'Power' Remix  (Read 9944 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: August 20, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »

Jay-Z gives a shout out to Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose on a remix of Kanye West's new single 'Power'.

The rapper appears on the track, which West debuted on his blog earlier today (August 20), alongside Swizz Beatz.

Referring to Rose, Jay-Z raps: ?F*ck all these labels, f*ck what everybody wants from you. They're trying to Axl Rose you, welcome to the jungle.?

West goes on the rap about the ongoing war in Iraq during the song, which also features a sample of Snap's 'I've Got The Power'.

'Power' is the first song to be taken from West's as-yet-untitled new studio album, which is due out in November.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/57993/Jay-Z-Shouts-Out-Axl-Rose-On-Kanye-West-Power-Remix

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »

He's referenced GN'R a few times...

Last year for instance..
"Kanye's in the process of making a new batch of music that's going to be phenomenal, and at the end of the day, when it's ready for the people, we'll serve it up," said Jay-Z. "If I don't have any time constraints...then I'll be Axl Rose out here. It'll be 12 years later and we'll be talking about my Chinese Democracy or something."

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/b127756_jay-zs_latest_blueprint_unfolding_on_911.html

In Success on his album American Gangster:
Finish my breakfast, why?
I got an appetite for destruction and you're a small fry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwJq71H8iU

And of course the song Guns & Roses with Lenny Kravitz on The Blueprint 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw4Coh4NZyE

I guess he's a fan.

Those are all I can think of for now.
ChiDem2010
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 08:06:57 AM »

Jay-Z gives a shout out to Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose on a remix of Kanye West's new single 'Power'.

The rapper appears on the track, which West debuted on his blog earlier today (August 20), alongside Swizz Beatz.

Referring to Rose, Jay-Z raps: ?F*ck all these labels, f*ck what everybody wants from you. They're trying to Axl Rose you, welcome to the jungle.?

West goes on the rap about the ongoing war in Iraq during the song, which also features a sample of Snap's 'I've Got The Power'.

'Power' is the first song to be taken from West's as-yet-untitled new studio album, which is due out in November.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/57993/Jay-Z-Shouts-Out-Axl-Rose-On-Kanye-West-Power-Remix

/jarmo

What exactly does he mean by 'trying to Axl Rose you...' wouldn't it be the other way around because Axl doesnt care about labels and what people want from him in my opinion.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:21:14 AM »

I'm thinking it means they are trying to welcome you to the jungle...

Like Axl.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

Like Axl.

/jarmo

Yeah, of course he could be going deeper and saying they fucked Axl on Chinese Democracy.  Jay-Z's known for his double, and even triple, entendres.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »

I honestly couldnt understand anything positive about it...

what i thought it meant, by reading it, was that he was saying fuck the labels for advertising a guy who hasnt done nothing in 15 years, and that by this standard we will still be hearing of Chinese Democracy because thats what the labels want to shove to you.
And the welcome to the jungle part, means that he welcomes you to our world and thats the reality we live in, referring to the Axl part.

Now this is what i understood from the lyrics and i think it makes much more sense, doesnt mean i agree with it which i clearly not, but F*** Jay-Z anyways, i never liked his music, but i do like Kanye West!

Oh My God i cant deny this...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »

what i thought it meant, by reading it, was that he was saying fuck the labels for advertising a guy who hasnt done nothing in 15 years, and that by this standard we will still be hearing of Chinese Democracy because thats what the labels want to shove to you.
And the welcome to the jungle part, means that he welcomes you to our world and thats the reality we live in, referring to the Axl part.

Now this is what i understood from the lyrics and i think it makes much more sense, doesnt mean i agree with it which i clearly not, but F*** Jay-Z anyways, i never liked his music, but i do like Kanye West!
Nah, I don't think it was meant in a negative way at all.  I think he's saying, they're trying to F--k with you, like they did with Axl.  Then again, I've never been great at deciphering rap lyrics.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tange
Opening Act

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »

Man you are reading way into that, but interesting view. However, the the label by no means pushed CD down anyone's throat.

"There was one song on that record that I didn't even know was on it until it came out, 'My World'," Stradlin continues. "I gave it a listen and thought, 'What the fuck is this?' "

-IZZY STRADLIN
Liquor & Whores
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »

they're trying to SUE you or
they're trying to BLACKEN your name
they're trying to TELL LIES about you
they're trying to DICTATE what you should do

or I just don't get it

"you nor anyone will ever dictate my actions" - Axl Rose
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »

When one of the most popular artists of recent times mentions your name in a song, it means it will be heard.

I don't see anything negative in anything he's said about Axl.

/jarmo

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »

"They're trying to Axl Rose you, welcome to the jungle"

Well i guess only Jay Z really knows what that meant, but i will admit that the first thing that came to my mind was something negative.

Reading to it better though, i can see that he's a fan, so he's probably blaming the chinese democracy thing on the labels, and trying to alert artists to not let that happen to them. So i apologize if i read into it too much  hihi
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:55:19 AM by Halo69 » Logged

Oh My God i cant deny this...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:24:21 AM »

Reading to it better though, i can see that he's a fan, so he's probably blaming the chinese democracy thing on the labels, and trying to alert artists to not let that happen to them. So i apologize if i read into it too much  hihi

I took it as they're referring to the ticketmaster/live nation merger.  They're saying that all artists, whether they're indies or major bands, are getting fucked over and strong-armed by this monopoly now having all this power to dictate every when/where/how of the business.

They're calling on the artists to fight-the-fight and take back the power.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:31:42 AM »

I think it's more of a reference in that Axl usually catches flak for any controversy, the scapegoat. So for whom Jay is relaying to it, he adds "Welcome To The Jungle", like 'they're gonna try and put some sh*t on you, and it's gonna get hectic.'

Only the line has been quoted so far. Look more at Jay's entire verse:

Rumble, young man, rumble
Life is a trip, so sometimes, we gon? stumble
You gotta go through pain in order to become you
But once the world numbs you, you?ll feel like it?s only one you
Now you got the power to do anything you want to
Until you ask yourself, ?Is this what it?s all come to??
Lookin? at life through sunglasses and a sunroof
You have the power to get out from up under you
Fuck Rollies, labels, fuck what everybody wants from you
They tryna Axl Rose you, welcome to the jungle
To be continued, we on that Norman Mailer shit
In search of the truth, even if it goes through Taylor Swift
Tell her this

Like the Norman Mailer name-drop, I would say is a direct reference to his book "American Dream". Makes perfect sense to me.

I wouldn't say it's positive-negative thing, just something more descriptive. Yes, a name drop by J is something of incredible value.

The weird thing though is the hook of the song, "No one man should have all that power".......hmmmmmm

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
GNRVahland
Rocker

All Quiet on the Western Front

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:50 PM »

When one of the most popular artists of recent times mentions your name in a song, it means it will be heard.

I don't see anything negative in anything he's said about Axl.

/jarmo

I am not into JayZ at all but it sounds to me that he is bashing the record companies / labels....cos he might got screwed by the labels) just like Axl maybe got screwed by labels / managers....

Am I completely wrong or not ? Please correct me ifso....

peace
Erick
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »

Jay was on show in NY 2006

Like GNR
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »

Like Axl.

/jarmo

I'd say this is the correct explanation. Everyone else is reading way too much into it.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »

Yeah, of course he could be going deeper and saying they fucked Axl on Chinese Democracy. 

I think that's it. 

?F*ck all these labels, f*ck what everybody wants from you. They're trying to Axl Rose you..."

Welcome to the jungle. Wink

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:36:15 PM »

Like Axl.

/jarmo

This.

Just listen/read the lyrics, and it's pretty obvious.

I think Jay-Z is a big GN'R fan..

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »

I think he's saying, they're trying to F--k with you, like they did with Axl.

Exactly -- it seems pretty clear. hihi

I don't think it was meant in a negative way at all. 

I agree, he's not dissing Axl.  He sounds like a fan. yes

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:52:15 PM »

Jay-Z has an asthma attack on all his songs.

He's a buster and so are his followers.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: