Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 11:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum/Slash/Gilby: The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum/Slash/Gilby: The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project  (Read 2831 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: July 31, 2010, 03:17:28 PM »

The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project

Background:

Mention Pakistan today and what comes to the minds of most Americans is terrorism, poverty, and hopelessness. That?s all they see in the news. But Pakistan also has one of the world?s most diverse and rich cultures, equaled only by its spectacular natural beauty as home to part of Kashmir, the Khyber Pass and high mountain peaks like K2.

The Project:

The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project was inspired by the work of Greg Mortenson (author of the bestseller ?Three Cups of Tea? and ?Stones Into Schools?) and is based, among other things, on world music pioneer Manu Dibango?s declaration that musicians are ?all from the same tribe? regardless of their race, nationality or religion and John Coltrane?s belief in the power of music to spread peace and harmony. Building on the millennia-long tradition of musical and cultural exchange in Pakistan and South and Central Asia more broadly, we will bring a group of leading musicians from the U.S. to Pakistan led by guitarist/producer Lanny Cordola (House of Lords, Giuffria, The Beach Boys), drummer/producer Matt Sorum (Guns n? Roses, Velvet Revolver), singer/guitarist Todd Shea and many others for a month long musical caravan throughout the country, creating and performing with some of Pakistan?s most well known, talented and innovative artists.

Later on in the year, the Pakistani musicians will come to the U.S. for performances and events joined by their American comrades (including members of Guns ?n? Roses, Velvet Revolver, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.), which will also include time for more song writing and recording. Both the Pakistani and American ?legs? of the gathering will be filmed for a documentary. The music and film will then be completed and released for sale on CDs & DVDs.

Goals:

The project?s goals will be to bring Americans and Pakistanis closer together by erasing misconceptions and raising awareness of the diversity and beauty of Pakistan and its people, ultimately revealing the commonalities between Pakistani/Muslim and American cultures, to show Americans the Pakistan they never see in the mainstream media and to support Pakistan?s courageous artistic community, as well as raise funds and awareness to help establish and equip music schools and fund innovative health and education projects across Pakistan and Afghanistan. Once the initial project has been released, the music will continue with a series of collaborations with musicians and artists from all over the world to bring people together and help people in need.

http://www.koolmuzone.com/2010/07/the-pakistan-america-peace-through-music-project/

http://www.shinehumanity.org/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:16:52 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

Gee I don't remember seeing any of the guys in GNR saying they are a part of this. Oh wait! They probably mean former members and just forgot to include the word former....  Roll Eyes
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »

Gee I don't remember seeing any of the guys in GNR saying they are a part of this. Oh wait! They probably mean former members and just forgot to include the word former....  Roll Eyes

really? were still on this? Most people who are not on a GNR message board either A. still think Slash is still in GNR or B. have no idea about "CD" or the fact that they are actively touring,...its frustrating to me as well but I have learned to accept it.  Until they start doing some big scale things here in America that trend will continue.
gnrjanus
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:14:55 PM »

members of Guns ?n? Roses, Velvet Revolver. That's gonna be crazy:P
can you see it!

Matt n Duff playing with Ashba or Stinson! Tongue talk about the reunion!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »

The article is from a Pakastani website.

It's a peace through music project and this is what we're focusing on...the word "former/ex".  Undecided

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »

It's a peace through music project and this is what we're focusing on...the word "former/ex".  Undecided

Heh sorry, it just frustrates me when they simply cannot get that bit right.

It's a cool idea I guess even though I don't get the whole thing about thinking of Pakistan as being full of terrorists or whatever. I guess that must be some American thing.  Huh
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »

MATT SORUM Involved With 'The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project' - Aug. 1, 2010

According to Koolmuzone, VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer Matt Sorum and American guitarist, songwriter and producer Lanny Cordola (GIUFFRIA, HOUSE OF LORDS, MAGDALLAN) will lead a group of musicians from the U.S. that will travel to Pakistan for a month-long musical caravan throughout the country.

The Pakistan America Peace Through Music Project's goal is to bring Americans and Pakistanis closer together by erasing misconceptions and raising awareness of the diversity and beauty of Pakistan and its people, ultimately revealing the commonalities between Pakistani/Muslim and American cultures, to show Americans the Pakistan they never see in the mainstream media

Later on in the year, the Pakistani musicians will come to the U.S. for performances and events joined by their American comrades (including members of GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, etc.), which will also include time for more songwriting and recording. Both the Pakistani and American "legs" of the gathering will be filmed for a documentary. The music and film will then be completed and released for sale on CD and DVD.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=143855

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

This project is gonna be the bomb. Grin

Fuck 'Em All.
zihuatenajo
Headliner

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »

Heh sorry, it just frustrates me when they simply cannot get that bit right.

It's a cool idea I guess even though I don't get the whole thing about thinking of Pakistan as being full of terrorists or whatever. I guess that must be some American thing.  Huh

Yu got it , amigo

God made weed, man made booze : who do you trust ?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »

Some studio footage, try to look past the "Guns N Roses" references. Cheesy

Hand In Hand (Studio Rehearsal Video) - Atif Aslam and Matt Sorum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FdCveLwSfk

I am Music (Studio Rehearsal Video) - Atif Aslam and Matt Sorum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1boeyA8x0w

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 04:18:30 PM »

It looks like the ex-Guns N' Roses member is Gliby Clarke.

The project seems like a multi-song project by the name ?The Dreamer Awakes? by Lanny Cordola. The line up includes couple of former GnR members with Matt Sorum on the drums and Gilby Clarke on the guitars while Slash will be on board too.

?Collaborating with the band is a success for the whole music industry in Pakistan,? he said. During the press conference the singer said, ?As per the contract with the American band, I will be able to represent Pakistani culture in this album. It will clear many misunderstandings about Pakistan.?

?Americans want to know about Pakistani art and culture,? he said. ?This effort is initiated to bring the two nations closer.?

?My project will also benefit other singers. I will try to introduce them on an international level through this album,? he said.

Photos: http://www.koolmuzone.com/2010/07/atif-aslam-with-guns-n-roses-members-recording-session-pictures/

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: