Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:25:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228552 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Discusses New Album and Velvet Revolver Singer Search
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Discusses New Album and Velvet Revolver Singer Search  (Read 4856 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: July 06, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

Slash Discusses New Album and Velvet Revolver Singer Search

Jul 6th 2010

Since quitting Guns N' Roses in the mid-1990s, Slash has carved out for himself an impressive career that's seen him form his side-project, Snakepit, as well finding himself offering his six-string services to artists as diverse as Alice Cooper, Michael Jackson, Cheap Trick and, more recently, Macy Gray.

Having formed Velvet Revolver with former Guns N' Roses members Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, the band was joined by guitarist Dave Kushner and Stone Temple Pilots vocalist Scott Weilland, but the singer's acrimonious departure in 2008 has left the band in a state of suspended animation.

Having called on a number of his friends to act as guest vocalists, Slash has released his first solo album. Spinner caught up with Slash to find out a bit more about his latest work and where things stand with Velvet Revolver.

With so many different vocalists, how much of a logistical nightmare was it to put the album together?

You'd think that's what it would be but amazingly enough I set out on this journey without knowing what I was doing as is always the case with me. I just put the music together -- very casually with no end goal -- and I automatically started thinking who would sound great on each piece of music. I started by putting presentable demos together and sending them to each of the artists directly instead of involving record company people and it was an amazingly smooth operation up until the point I had to get releases from all the different record companies. That part was the logistical nightmare which I left the attorneys to deal with. The actual creative aspect of it was one the most pleasurable experiences I've had in putting a record together.

Did you write the songs specifically with an artist in mind?

Well, it all came together. Obviously, I think the one thing that I did a good job at was picking the right singer for the material. I knew I did good job of that when the artist with the demo wanted to do it. I had the material first and that dictated who should sing it.

Did anyone ever say to you, "I like that, Slash, but I prefer that other song instead?"

Yeah, Kid Rock. I had two songs that I presented to him and the first one I sent to him he didn't respond. The second one that I sent him he responded right away and that's the one that we did. And I had two different songs that I sent to Chris Cornell -- because both of these guys are very chameleon-esque -- and he liked them both but we only used one. The other song I turned into something else because Myles Kennedy came right at the end and I only wanted to have one song per artist. I mean, it would have been fine to have done the whole f-----' record with Chris Cornell but that's not what the project is about.

Why did you choose to do a solo album rather than something in a band context?

Well, I've been in a band since I was 16 years old and I think that I've finally reached a point in my career -- especially after the last Velvet Revolver tour where I was like, "Guys, I need to do something on my own for a bit" -- where I needed to express myself without someone looking over my shoulder and having to answer to anybody or a record company or having my compositions approved by the other guys.

Do you miss that dynamic?

Now that we're on the road and I've got a band out with me, I can't help it but treat it like a band. I don't really play the boss role because it's one for all, all for one, but some of the guys do call me "Boss"!

What is the state of play with Velvet Revolver?

We've been quietly sifting through demos that have been submitted by singers and we're trying to find the ultimate guy. It's still very much in the works. I'll probably sit down and look seriously at it next year and see what we've got so far. But in the meantime I've been doing this and it's going really well and Duff has been touring with Jane's Addiction.

How about some of the singers on your solo album? Ian Astbury would be good for Velvet Revolver.

It's hard to take someone with a recognisable voice and insert it into a group and to try to make him sound like the original artist. We tried to replace Scott with some singers but they sounded too much like the band they were from. I'd rather find somebody who's experienced with a local band and not world-known.

Interestingly enough, that's how Myles Kennedy came to work for me. His name had been bandied around a lot and when I was looking for someone to sing these two songs that I had, his name came to mind. I'd never met him before; I didn't know anything about him and I just took a chance on it. I sent him a demo and he sent back a vocal that was just phenomenal but I can't get him into Velvet Revolver. But he's a really cool discovery.

'Slash' is out now through Roadrunner Records.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/07/06/slash-interview-velvet-revolver/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:21 PM »

I sent him a demo and he sent back a vocal that was just phenomenal but I can't get him into Velvet Revolver. But he's a really cool discovery.

I wonder why he can't get Myles into Velvet Revolver.  He doesn't want to do it?

I'd rather find somebody who's experienced with a local band and not world-known.

Interesting.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »

I only wanted to have one song per artist.

His name had been bandied around a lot and when I was looking for someone to sing these two songs that I had, his name came to mind.

lol, but yeah. i'm kinda happy it won't be myles
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »

If they can't get Myles, I don't think they should even continue.  Maybe I'll eat my words later, but anything else would just be a huge step down.  I can only speak for myself, but the last thing I want is some un-tested "no-name" up there with these guys.  Otherwise, it's just gonna seem like a bad cover band.   Myles was the only guy that had "it" and I don't really feel like waiting around for someone else.   
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »

Seconded.

Myles was the only guy that had "it" 

"It" is subjective - he'll always be be the guy who replaced Wahlberg in Steel Dragon to me. Wink

Different strokes I suppose.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 04:16:34 AM »

That's a relief. It would be interesting to have someone unknown front the band. If he can sing well and write, it shouldn't matter.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:01:38 AM »

I wonder why he can't get Myles into Velvet Revolver.  He doesn't want to do it?

Probably cos he is in Alter Bridge and has a solo album to do too as well as this current tour.
Im gutted to be honest.
They seem so happy onstage together that it will be a shame when its finished.
I cant see Slash getting anyone better.

Although, even if Myles was going to join... Slash probably can't say it now.  Hopefully Slash is persistent.  Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:07 AM »

I would have much preferred two Chris Cornell tracks to two Myles Kennedy tracks to be honest.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:15:12 AM »

If it's anything like Promise, no thanks. That's the most boring track on the record along with Ozzy's.

Fuck 'Em All.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:19:20 AM »

What is it that some people don't like about Myles?   (just out of interest)

He is a big step up from Scott IMHO.  There aren't many songs he can't have a go at.  
he does the GNR songs justice whereas Scott wouldn't even attempt them.  (and would of sounded dreadful if he did).
He nails the solo songs and the VR songs.
He is a humble guy and doesn't cause any issues.
He's certainly bringing out the best of Slash lately. Slash's playing is amazing at the moment.

I can now see and believe the things Slash said about being miserable and restricted in VR.  I didn't notice at the time but i saw VR in 2008 and the band no longer had any onstage chemistry.  Saw Slash last week and it was a new Slash altogether.

I just can't see Slash getting someone better.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:12 AM »

What I don't like about Myles? His high notes. They try to kill my ears. The exact same things some people hate about Axl and I've never had a problem with... but the high notes with Myles' voice just irritates the fuck out of me (And someone whose high notes annoy me is never going to be able to do GN'R songs justice according to me). Everything else, I think is great... though I think as a showman, Scott Weiland is much better.

And Promise is one of my favourite tracks on the record.
Genesis
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »

I don't like his regular singing voice. It varies too much and I'm not sure whether he can write the kind of songs I like in VR.

Fuck 'Em All.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 08:33:24 AM »

Seconded.

Myles was the only guy that had "it" 

"It" is subjective - he'll always be be the guy who replaced Wahlberg in Steel Dragon to me. Wink

Different strokes I suppose.

you must have watched that movie and awful lot rofl
i never new that guy was myles kennedy, and he was in the movie for what, 2 maybe 3 minutes?

he must have made quite a big impression on you hihi
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »

I would have much preferred two Chris Cornell tracks to two Myles Kennedy tracks to be honest.

cornell's track is among my least favorite; right up there with Kid Rocks Wink
though, I do like them Shocked
just not as much as most the others
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »

I'm not sure whether he can write the kind of songs I like in VR.

Im not sure what his writing is like either.  I really like Starlight and Cali (although not lyrically amazing) but id need to hear a whole album before i could judge his writing.

though I think as a showman, Scott Weiland is much better.

Agreed.  Maybe Myles will improve in that area though.  Does he usually play guitar with Alter Bridge live?  He might not be used to having no instrument to hide behind.

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »

If it's anything like Promise, no thanks. That's the most boring track on the record along with Ozzy's.

Promise is awesome. It was a real grower, as I didn't think much of it at the start, now it's one of my favs on the album.
Reminds me of Audioslave with a Slash solo

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »

I'd say VR w/ Myles would be a Snakepit redux to my ears, at least based on the two tracks we've heard so far w/ Slash.  Then again my aesthetic is centered around a more "modern" sound rather than trying to recreate Appetite or UYI.  To each their own I suppose.   

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

I'd say VR w/ Myles would be a Snakepit redux to my ears, at least based on the two tracks we've heard so far w/ Slash.  Then again my aesthetic is centered around a more "modern" sound rather than trying to recreate Appetite or UYI.  To each their own I suppose.   

Maybe this current live band out with Slash could become Snakepit 3...?
That wouldn't be such a bad idea actually!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Ace_954
Opening Act

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:20 AM »

Thank god he cant get myles in VR. I can now still like this band and actively want to listen to them.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »

Maybe this current live band out with Slash could become Snakepit 3...?
That wouldn't be such a bad idea actually!
totally agree
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: