Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Receiving Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame - July 10th
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Receiving Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame - July 10th  (Read 38492 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »

slash is an icon and most likely the best known guitarist in the world, at least most recognizeable

it's not only thanks to his playing though
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »

it's not only thanks to his playing though

Its a mixture of everything really.  The top hat and (in the past) the cigarettes give him a unique, rockstar, cool image.
His playing is awesome but more importantly his writing abilities are brilliant and the songs he played on are classics.  (also have to credit Scott and particularily Axl for their parts).  Also collaborations with MJ didn't hurt his reputation and now GH3 has helped bring him to the attention of a new generation.

but to me, being able to write great riffs and solo's have made him famous and a great player.
There is so many great guitar players out there but they can't write for shit and/or are in shit bands. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »

Some of you are misinterpreting this selection process.

First, ANYONE can nominate ANYONE.  As previously stated, the average number of nominations per year is about 200.

That number is then whittled down to those willing to pay the $25,000. Example:  As a fan, someone sends in a nomination for Kate Gossilin.  BUT, that fan is NOT willing to shell out the $25Gs, so that nomination gets dropped from the list of those eligible for the next step in the process.

Of those names who were nominated and the $25Gs paid out by whomever (fan, manager, wife, etc.), those names go forward to the committee who then remove the names of "undesireables"  Example:  Someone could nominate and pay the $25Gs for Teddy Unabomber but it's not getting past this step.

Between those NOT willing to pay the $$$ and the "undesirables," that 200 number is down to probably just a handful and out of that handful still eligible, the "secret committee" makes their selections. 

Bottom Line:  At the end of the day, it's a short list.

actually, your misinterpreting the process; 1st you have to be nominated; 2nd you have to selected, and finally after being selected, the fee is paid-for which it is used to pay for the star itself, and upkeep, etc.

"A fee (currently USD $25,000), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the honoree's current or ongoing project.["

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »

Slash is the most famous guitar player in the world.  Surprised he wasn't on the walk 10 years ago.

Exaggerate much?

Like him or not, he's easily in the conversation.

Immediately recognizable by his silhouette alone.

Living legend, icon etc. - all superlatives apply.

Maybe but he is most certainly not the most famous like I said. Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Angus Young, Eric Clapton etc are all certainly more famous around the world than slash.

Im suprised you didn't throw in Buckethead, Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, and Robin Fink in there as well as beeing certaintly more famous than Slash

but seriously, yeah Page, Hendrix, Young and Clapton all had their day and are certaintly famous around the word; you can't say they're more famous than Slash.  I mean given WW Album Sales, I think the only one that's sold more than SLash would be Jimmy Page, and his best days have been gone since Physical Graffiti
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »

What I'm saying is not that he does not deserve it, but that it's not that big of an honour as I originally thought. Simply because of the fact his wife nominated him and that he has to pay a fee of $25.000 for the honour.

I don't see why people are getting all wound up, is it that hard to understand.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »

What I'm saying is not that he does not deserve it, but that it's not that big of an honour as I originally thought. Simply because of the fact his wife nominated him and that he has to pay a fee of $25.000 for the honour.

I dont think anyone is wound up by you or your opinion.   
people get wound up when other people suggest things like Slash not being that famous or just paying for a star.  (totally forgetting that there is still a selection process and the payment is used for the upkeep etc)

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2010, 10:11:45 AM »

so the Los Angeles County residents should pay for the start or the upkeep? or the stat of California should pay for the star and upkeep?  Even though California is near bankrupt?  I don't really think it matters who nominates the individual because they still have to qualify and then get selected by the committee............
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

so the Los Angeles County residents should pay for the start or the upkeep? or the stat of California should pay for the star and upkeep?  Even though California is near bankrupt?  I don't really think it matters who nominates the individual because they still have to qualify and then get selected by the committee............

Well I just don't think it's an honour to have to pay $25.000 for a star next to will.i.am.  hihi
And on top of that the person who requested you get the star, is in fact your wife and the person you go to bed with every night.

I am not at all suggesting Slash is not worthy of a star, or that he is not one of the best guitar players of all time. When you think of the Hollywood walk of fame, you think of legendary names, and yes granted some are indeed on the walk. But it has changed alot since then, and now people like will.i.am are getting 'honoured' as well, give me a break.  hihi

So here I go again, my point is to get honoured today, is not as honourable as it seems, simply because of all that I have said in my post.

If anything, I'm not attacking Slash, I'm attacking the walk.

But I guess some Slash fans can't accept anything negative about anything he is involved in.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »

people get wound up when other people suggest things like Slash not being that famous or just paying for a star.  (totally forgetting that there is still a selection process and the payment is used for the upkeep etc)

You really do twist thing around don't you? No one said he wasn't famous because of course he is famous. If he wasn't we wouldn't be talking about him now. What I said was he is not the most famous guitarist in the world. I guarantee you if you ask random people on the streets who they think the most famous would be, the majority would say Jimmy Page, Angus Young etc like I said before. That is not taking anything away from slash like some of you people think it is.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »

You really do twist thing around don't you? No one said he wasn't famous because of course he is famous. If he wasn't we wouldn't be talking about him now. What I said was he is not the most famous guitarist in the world. I guarantee you if you ask random people on the streets who they think the most famous would be, the majority would say Jimmy Page, Angus Young etc like I said before. That is not taking anything away from slash like some of you people think it is.

No offense but Jimmy Page is out the question. We are taking about popularity here not skill. Put a picture of Slash Jimmy Page And Angus best bet is more people can name Slash than others...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 11:43:03 AM »

Well I just don't think it's an honour to have to pay $25.000 for a star next to will.i.am.  hihi
And on top of that the person who requested you get the star, is in fact your wife and the person you go to bed with every night.

I am not at all suggesting Slash is not worthy of a star, or that he is not one of the best guitar players of all time. When you think of the Hollywood walk of fame, you think of legendary names, and yes granted some are indeed on the walk. But it has changed alot since then, and now people like will.i.am are getting 'honoured' as well, give me a break.  hihi

So here I go again, my point is to get honoured today, is not as honourable as it seems, simply because of all that I have said in my post.

If anything, I'm not attacking Slash, I'm attacking the walk.

But I guess some Slash fans can't accept anything negative about anything he is involved in.

well then mock the hollywood walk of fame, the process, and the couple of thousand people that also already have a star; being that they all went thru the same process and all paid the fee or had someone pay the fee

but when you say something like "When you think of the Hollywood walk of fame, you think of legendary names, and yes granted some are indeed on the walk. But it has changed alot since then, and now people like will.i.am are getting 'honoured' as well, give me a break." and given he got his star the same time Will i am got his, it could be taken as mocking slash or whomever

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

No offense but Jimmy Page is out the question. We are taking about popularity here not skill. Put a picture of Slash Jimmy Page And Angus best bet is more people can name Slash than others...

given how many millions of people crashed the website that handled the ticket sales for Zep's reunion concert at the O2 arena a couple of years back (reportedly over 25,000,000 people); too say Jimmy Page is out of the question sort of reaks of ignorance, no offense peace
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:28 AM »

So let me get this straight... being at the top of his specific style of music, as well as a sought-after producer doesn't entitle Will.i.am to an honour like this just because people on here don't happen to like him? Give me a break! When Michael Jackson wanted to record new material a couple of years before his death, who did he go to for production duties? Will.i.am. When you're handpicked by the best, I'm pretty sure you're deserving.

Also, about the fee and selection process. Why does anybody really care? Your name will be on the floor in Hollywood... this does not result in a huge amount of publicity for you. After taking a photo of the paving slab, tourists aren't going to immediately go out and buy your music/movies/etc. It's harly "self-promotion" as some people have put it. And if it costs you $25,000, it's even resulting in the very opposite of monetary gain. How people can twist this to be a part of Slash selling out, I don't know. It's just something cool for tourists to look at... hardly as big a deal as some people here seem to think it is.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2010, 12:12:59 PM »

So let me get this straight... being at the top of his specific style of music, as well as a sought-after producer doesn't entitle Will.i.am to an honour like this just because people on here don't happen to like him? Give me a break! When Michael Jackson wanted to record new material a couple of years before his death, who did he go to for production duties? Will.i.am. When you're handpicked by the best, I'm pretty sure you're deserving.

Also, about the fee and selection process. Why does anybody really care? Your name will be on the floor in Hollywood... this does not result in a huge amount of publicity for you. After taking a photo of the paving slab, tourists aren't going to immediately go out and buy your music/movies/etc. It's harly "self-promotion" as some people have put it. And if it costs you $25,000, it's even resulting in the very opposite of monetary gain. How people can twist this to be a part of Slash selling out, I don't know. It's just something cool for tourists to look at... hardly as big a deal as some people here seem to think it is.

it seems that anytime Slash gets honored, recognized, or awarded anything it brings out all of the haters
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »

exactly. I hate Black Eye Peas with a passion and Im not a fan of Will I Am HOWEVER, to deny his impact and appeal to the hip hop community is just being short sighted, snobbish and ignorant.

There are people in the world who can respect and view issues even when they don't agree or like something and then there are those who "If I don't like it, it sucks" people who can't see anything past their own likes/dislikes.

FOr instance, I hate U2 but i can understand why they are so legendary and great. Whereas others, if they didn't like U2, they just flat out suck and people are tasteless and idiots for liking them.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 12:28:18 PM »

well, i think that argument is made up to try and prove a point to yourself when there really is no way to say for sure. I like Slash so i can use the same argument cause it is impossible to prove.

If Slash,Jimmy Page and Angus are walking down the street, i guarantee u, people are gonna run up to Slash  cause he is more recognizable image wise. which i s the best is up to taste and what u like. I personally will take Slash's GNR work over Zep and ACDC. thats just me though. Im not saying its better cause i like it more, but i def prefer Slash's work to those two guys.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »

If that's the case, where's Jennifer Batten's star? She played guitar for MJ on multiple tours. Handpicked? Surely she deserves a star too?  Tongue

Will.i.am has been producing albums for the past six years (or so) and have had success with his group for the past seven years or so.

Compared to him, Slash has had a long career.

That's the whole point of bringing him up.

It seems like some get the star as a lifetime achievement thing and others just to promote their current product.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2010, 01:52:57 PM »

I won't argue with you Jarmo cause there definitely is truth in that and i have never denied that Slash certainly does things to promote himself.. some good, some bad, some very questionable, but i just accept people on their terms and for what they are.

for example, i judge Motley Crue way differently than I would say U2. Just like I judge Bon Jovi differently than I do Pearl Jam. I don't hold it against artists for having different goals/agendas.

The reason I don't get too down on Slash is because he is a guitar player.... Guitar players aren't as famous as frontmen because more people identify with lyrics and voice over guitar. So once Slash quit GNR, had he not done some of the things he did, he'd be a footnote in music history.. so in some ways, I applaud some of the savvy business decisions he has made to keep himself in the public spotlight which allows him to make music, sell tickets etc, cause without doing some of these things, he'd be a forgotten has been former GNR guitarist.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »

If that's the case, where's Jennifer Batten's star? She played guitar for MJ on multiple tours. Handpicked? Surely she deserves a star too?  Tongue

Will.i.am has been producing albums for the past six years (or so) and have had success with his group for the past seven years or so.

Compared to him, Slash has had a long career.

That's the whole point of bringing him up.

It seems like some get the star as a lifetime achievement thing and others just to promote their current product.

/jarmo

Nominees must have a minimum of 5 years' experience in the category for which they are nominated. Posthumous nominees must be deceased at least 5 years. At a meeting each June, the Committee selects approximately 20 celebrities to receive stars on the Walk of Fame during the following year. One posthumous award is given each year as well. The nominations of those not selected are "rolled over" to the following year for reconsideration; those not selected two years in a row are dropped, and must be renominated to receive further consideration. Living recipients must agree to personally attend a presentation ceremony within five years of selection. A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations. Presentation ceremonies are open to the public.[60]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 02:12:22 PM by oldgunsfan » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »

Five years experience? Wow.

So it's even less prestigious than I thought...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: