Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:26:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Receiving Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame - July 10th
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Receiving Star On Hollywood Walk Of Fame - July 10th  (Read 38488 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

I don't think anyone doesn't think it's an honor to get a star on the Walk of Fame, but like Genisis said, just surprised that's the way it works.

Apparently they get around 200 applications a year and anyone can do the nominating, even a fan -- but there has to be a letter of of agreement included from the celebrity or his/her representative.  And they usually accept 20, this year they accepted 30.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

Apparently they get around 200 applications a year and anyone can do the nominating, even a fan -- but there has to be a letter of of agreement included from the celebrity or his/her representative.  And they usually accept 20, this year they accepted 30.

That can't be right.

That would indicate they only took selected 15% of those who applied.

I had been lead to believe reading this thread all you needed to do was have a have a relative nominate you and pay the $25,000 and it was a sure thing you got a star.

A 10-15% acceptance rate would be considered very exclusive by almost any measurement, so clearly wherever you got that data from is wrong as Stars are no big deal and easy to get if you have the money. Just read the thread and you would know that. no
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »

A 10-15% acceptance rate would be considered very exclusive by almost any measurement,

Very exclusive indeed...

It's like going to the moon or winning the Nobel Peace Prize. Very exclusive!

will.i.am gets a star, so it's gotta be exclusive!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »

This whole walk of fame thing is a cool honor, thats about it.  Maybe somewhere in the Top 50 honors Slash has received in the last 25 years, maybe not.  I read through some of these posts and its the same people saying the same predictable things, either downplaying anything the guy ever does or hyping up his every move.  Whats the point?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 02:42:23 PM »

Sorry but I wouldn't be "honored" by anything that I had to pay $25k for. Sounds like another thing Perla pushed him into.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2010, 03:31:56 PM »

I think most people were just surprised to find out that the star has to be paid for and that his wife nominated him. That kind of relegates the Walk Of Fame to just bragging rights. It's kind of like a millionaire paying for a new university building, after which they name it after him in some big ceremony. Hardly 'honourable', is it? I'm not slamming Slash, I'm just disappointed that the Walk Of Fame works this way.
wait, what?  hihi

that's crazy  rofl
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »

A 10-15% acceptance rate would be considered very exclusive by almost any measurement,

Very exclusive indeed...

/jarmo

apparantly there is a selection comittee involved that actually determines who get the star's after the individual is nominated:

Each year, an average of 200 nominations are submitted to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Walk of Fame Selection Committee. Anyone, including fans, can nominate anyone active in the field of entertainment, as long as the nominee or his or her management is in agreement with the nomination. (A letter of agreement from the nominated celebrity or representative must accompany the application.) Nominees must have a minimum of 5 years' experience in the category for which they are nominated. Posthumous nominees must be deceased at least 5 years. At a meeting each June, the Committee selects approximately 20 celebrities to receive stars on the Walk of Fame during the following year. One posthumous award is given each year as well. The nominations of those not selected are "rolled over" to the following year for reconsideration; those not selected two years in a row are dropped, and must be renominated to receive further consideration. Living recipients must agree to personally attend a presentation ceremony within five years of selection. A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations. Presentation ceremonies are open to the public.[60]

A fee (currently USD $25,000), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the honoree's current or ongoing project.[61][15] The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash. It was unveiled in March 2010, shortly before his death.[62][15]

Traditionally, the identities of members of the Selection Committee have not been made public in order to minimize conflicts of interest, and to prevent lobbying of committee members by celebrities and their representatives (which was a significant problem during selection of the original 1550 recipients in the late 1950s). However, in 1999, to answer growing charges of "back room politics" in the selection process, the Chamber disclosed the members' names: They were Johnny Grant, who chaired the Committee and represented the television category; Earl Lestz, president of Paramount Studio Group (motion pictures); Stan Spero, retired manager with broadcast stations KMPC and KABC (radio); Kate Nelson, owner of the Palace Theatre (live performance); and Mary Lou Dudas, vice president of A&M Records (recording industry).[63]

After that disclosure, however, the veil of secrecy was restored; currently, the Chamber will say only that Lestz (who received his own star in 2004) became the Committee's chairman after Grant died in 2008, and that "each of the five categories is represented by someone with expertise in that field."[12][60]

out of 2400 stars, only about 17% are recording artists, which represents thw 2nd smallest group next to radio (10%)

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »

I guess it serves as validation that he's become famous for his accomplishments and that validation serves as promotion to help keep you famous.  It's a reasonable form of publicity that obviously requires a fair degree of merit, but it's kind of less impressive that he has to basically nominate himself and pay the $25K; typically, stars are nominated/funded by the record company or movie studio that is looking to promote the celebrity who they have an investment in. 

That said, Slash still rocks, and I hope this doesn't disqualify me from getting a backstage pass to one of his shows.   peace
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:28:14 PM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »

Very exclusive indeed...

While his kind of music does not impress me it does impress alot of other people. He is considered tops in his type of music. I have freinds that could care less about GNR and the only time they know what Slash is doing is when he working with the PEAS. To each his own I guess!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:04:05 PM by sleeper » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »

Very exclusive indeed...

While his kind of music does not impress me it does impress alot of other people. He is considered tops in his type of music. I have freinds that could care less about GNR and the only time they know what Slash is doing is when he working with the PEAS. To each his own I guess!

Slash is the most famous guitar player in the world.  Surprised he wasn't on the walk 10 years ago.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »

Slash is the most famous guitar player in the world.  Surprised he wasn't on the walk 10 years ago.

Exaggerate much?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »

Some of you are misinterpreting this selection process.

First, ANYONE can nominate ANYONE.  As previously stated, the average number of nominations per year is about 200.

That number is then whittled down to those willing to pay the $25,000. Example:  As a fan, someone sends in a nomination for Kate Gossilin.  BUT, that fan is NOT willing to shell out the $25Gs, so that nomination gets dropped from the list of those eligible for the next step in the process.

Of those names who were nominated and the $25Gs paid out by whomever (fan, manager, wife, etc.), those names go forward to the committee who then remove the names of "undesireables"  Example:  Someone could nominate and pay the $25Gs for Teddy Unabomber but it's not getting past this step.

Between those NOT willing to pay the $$$ and the "undesirables," that 200 number is down to probably just a handful and out of that handful still eligible, the "secret committee" makes their selections. 

Bottom Line:  At the end of the day, it's a short list.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »

Exaggerate much?

Like him or not, he's easily in the conversation.

Immediately recognizable by his silhouette alone.

Living legend, icon etc. - all superlatives apply.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:07:27 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »

Exaggerate much?

Name another....  

Eddie Van Halen?  Not 1984 anymore.
Zakk Wylde?  Closest to Slash level
Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton etc are still popular in older crowd, but nowhere near their peak fame.  

I really don't care who is the most famous, but Slash is definately up there.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »

Exaggerate much?

Maybe but he is most certainly not the most famous like I said. Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Angus Young, Eric Clapton etc are all certainly more famous around the world than slash.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »

Exaggerate much?

Maybe but he is most certainly not the most famous like I said. Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, Angus Young, Eric Clapton etc are all certainly more famous around the world than slash.

Only Angus can still hang with Slash.  The other guys you mentioned havn't really been putting out a lot of new music and one of them is dead. .  Slash is the most famous living player that is still playing guitar on a regular basis.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 11:46:01 PM »

Exaggerate much?

I disagree, hes much more famous than those guys here in the year 2010.  Page and Clapton havent been relevant in a mainstream sense of the word for a long time.  Think about kids under 20, some dont know who they are, but they certainly know who Slash is.  Anyone under the age of 55 also knows who Slash is.  Forget the silouette, just a picture of a top hat and les paul is all you need to think of Slash.  The guy was the guitar player on all of GNRs biggest hits, not to mention the millions of records he sold with VR, he was numbe 2 on Time magazines list for a reason.  You  might not like him personally , but to try and downplay his influence is lame.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:26 PM »

It's amazing the lengths people will go to discredit this guy......
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:48 AM »

Its kinda funny though. (in a pathetic way).

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:38 AM »

Its kinda funny though. (in a pathetic way).

... and sad

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: