Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 07:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD Meanings (The way you see it!) Discussion
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD Meanings (The way you see it!) Discussion  (Read 3251 times)
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« on: June 16, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »

Chinese Democracy: Its about the dictatorship that Axl felt he lived in on the last years of the old band. With the old members wanting to dictate his creative style and discouraging whatever Axl was inspired to do.

Shacklers Revenge: I think Axl relates in a way to this lyrics as he's about to launch a war on everyone that doubted him and the new band! ("im gonna pull the trigger and blow them all the way").

Better: I think this song is related to how Axl's life was fucked up during the period he lost Steph and post Illusions tour due to the fact that he lost steph and the kid and his closest friends, old band members or whoever didnt care about his feelings and have shown 0 support at that time, only to keep pressuring him to do better than he could at that moment. " None ever told me when i was alone they just thought i knew better, better"

Street of Dreams: I think Axl talks about his past dreams, the dreams that Axl had at the time back in the 90s that were proven to not exactly be as beautiful or as wishful as he thought they were.

If The World: Axl claimed it was their James Bond song, and it certainly has that Bond feel even though it ended up in another movie. I think this song is about REACTIONS. Its about how would Axl react if this happened, if this happened what would have happened... Its about uncertain aspects of his life that could have gone either way, just like a Bond movie where anything can happen and you're not expecting it, but you know Bond will always prevail. So i believe Axl is speaking about how certain things in his life could have gone either way and he would have to survive and live with it.

There Was a Time: I think this song goes way before Guns N'Roses was even formed as a band. I think this is the song where Axl remembers the times when he was on the streets, and how he lived his life and how crazy it was to live so dangerously. I think He's just giving a thought now that a lot of years passed, and how he looks at it now.

Catcher in The Rye: I think in here Axl refers to the book Catcher in The Rye, in the way he thinks of the jealousy some people have of him. And how they sometimes abuse of that jealousy and make him look bad, and how Axl gets frustrated and angry with all of it together.

Scraoed: I think Scraped is a quick song about an old project done, new one beggining and exploding and theres nothing anyone can do about it, whether you like it or not.

Riad and the Bedouins: I think this song is directed to the old band. I think Riad is Slash and the Bedouins are Matt Sorum and Duff. How Slash quit Guns N'Roses and the others had to kiss ass and follow, because they seemed to be all united and determined to make Axl and Guns N'Roses be this way and  they wanted to make Axl accept it and shut up without having a word on it. Basically what Axl said about Slash taking over Guns N'Roses and how the others joined and eventually left when Slash left. And Axl's opinion about "He doesn't give a fuck about the fact that they left"

Sorry: I think Sorry is a song directed to the management that Axl and the band has been having over the years, or the mis-management i should say. About how all this fuckers feel that Axl owes them something and for that reason needs to act all good and do as they please, and how he really feels sorry for them and they can come and go just that easily...

IRS: In my opinion this song is about all the lawsuits Axl was involved in before CD was released and how that prejudicated his life and his work,namely the Chinese Democracy project, and how he feels like just suing all of their asses for that same reason.

Madagascar: Madagascar in my opinion is Axl's state of mind at a certain point in life, when he felt like everyone around him had lost his values and he needed to isolate himself from all that garbage.

This I Love: This I love is about a past relationship that failed for whatever reason but keeps coming back to his mind at certain points in his life.

Prostitute: This song in my opinion is a message to the fans that wish a reunion, and an explanation to why he wouldnt do such thing, especially for money, because he would feel he would be prostituting himself

...and thats it, this is my opinion and the way i see the songs, you might have a different opinion so please feel free to discuss and express it  Grin

Oh My God i cant deny this...
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »

Chinese Democracy: Its about the dictatorship that Axl felt he lived in on the last years of the old band. With the old members wanting to dictate his creative style and discouraging whatever Axl was inspired to do.

Shacklers Revenge: I think Axl relates in a way to this lyrics as he's about to launch a war on everyone that doubted him and the new band! ("im gonna pull the trigger and blow them all the way").

Better: I think this song is related to how Axl's life was fucked up during the period he lost Steph and post Illusions tour due to the fact that he lost steph and the kid and his closest friends, old band members or whoever didnt care about his feelings and have shown 0 support at that time, only to keep pressuring him to do better than he could at that moment. " None ever told me when i was alone they just thought i knew better, better"

Street of Dreams: I think Axl talks about his past dreams, the dreams that Axl had at the time back in the 90s that were proven to not exactly be as beautiful or as wishful as he thought they were.

If The World: Axl claimed it was their James Bond song, and it certainly has that Bond feel even though it ended up in another movie. I think this song is about REACTIONS. Its about how would Axl react if this happened, if this happened what would have happened... Its about uncertain aspects of his life that could have gone either way, just like a Bond movie where anything can happen and you're not expecting it, but you know Bond will always prevail. So i believe Axl is speaking about how certain things in his life could have gone either way and he would have to survive and live with it.

There Was a Time: I think this song goes way before Guns N'Roses was even formed as a band. I think this is the song where Axl remembers the times when he was on the streets, and how he lived his life and how crazy it was to live so dangerously. I think He's just giving a thought now that a lot of years passed, and how he looks at it now.

Catcher in The Rye: I think in here Axl refers to the book Catcher in The Rye, in the way he thinks of the jealousy some people have of him. And how they sometimes abuse of that jealousy and make him look bad, and how Axl gets frustrated and angry with all of it together.

Scraoed: I think Scraped is a quick song about an old project done, new one beggining and exploding and theres nothing anyone can do about it, whether you like it or not.

Riad and the Bedouins: I think this song is directed to the old band. I think Riad is Slash and the Bedouins are Matt Sorum and Duff. How Slash quit Guns N'Roses and the others had to kiss ass and follow, because they seemed to be all united and determined to make Axl and Guns N'Roses be this way and  they wanted to make Axl accept it and shut up without having a word on it. Basically what Axl said about Slash taking over Guns N'Roses and how the others joined and eventually left when Slash left. And Axl's opinion about "He doesn't give a fuck about the fact that they left"

Sorry: I think Sorry is a song directed to the management that Axl and the band has been having over the years, or the mis-management i should say. About how all this fuckers feel that Axl owes them something and for that reason needs to act all good and do as they please, and how he really feels sorry for them and they can come and go just that easily...

IRS: In my opinion this song is about all the lawsuits Axl was involved in before CD was released and how that prejudicated his life and his work,namely the Chinese Democracy project, and how he feels like just suing all of their asses for that same reason.

Madagascar: Madagascar in my opinion is Axl's state of mind at a certain point in life, when he felt like everyone around him had lost his values and he needed to isolate himself from all that garbage.

This I Love: This I love is about a past relationship that failed for whatever reason but keeps coming back to his mind at certain points in his life.

Prostitute: This song in my opinion is a message to the fans that wish a reunion, and an explanation to why he wouldnt do such thing, especially for money, because he would feel he would be prostituting himself

...and thats it, this is my opinion and the way i see the songs, you might have a different opinion so please feel free to discuss and express it  Grin

Halo 69 is in fact Jeremy Kyle and I claim my ?10.... smoking

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
ryanf
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:34:28 AM »

Songs are meant to have your own personal intent on each.  I adisagree with most of yours.  I can tell you for a fact you are way off on Shacklers.  Axl already said it was loosley based off of that college shooting where the oriental guy killed a bunch of people and they found a poem or something he had written called "Mr. Brownstone".
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:38:24 AM »

Songs are meant to have your own personal intent on each.  I adisagree with most of yours.  I can tell you for a fact you are way off on Shacklers.  Axl already said it was loosley based off of that college shooting where the oriental guy killed a bunch of people and they found a poem or something he had written called "Mr. Brownstone".

It can be based on that, but have another meaning as to Axl is concerned. But this just the way i read the songs in relates to me and what i think Axl meant with them, but feel free to express your point of views

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:39:48 AM »

I dont think Axl refers directly to the shooting, i just think Axl takes the feelings from what the shooter felt and exposes them as if it was his...

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »

I think song meanings are different for everyone, although obviously some can be similar. From my perspective, when I'm listening to a song from CD. My subconscious mind is always thinks of theories and ideas, as to what this song means from Axls' point of view. I think it's almost impossible not to, as we all are diehard fans of Axl and GN'R. Which means we have followed Axl for most of our lives, and have come to know Axls' views and personality.

I think we should count ourselves lucky to have a songwriter like Axl, who we know means every lyric. Rather than most of the crap that's on the radio, where you just know that the lyrics are not heartfelt, and are just there to fill space or create an image.

With Axl we can gaze our eyes upon the lyrics, and amazing songwriting. And know 100%, they are genuine and from the soul, which is extinct in the music industry today.

Smiley
Ignacio
Rocker

I'm fn' inoccent!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

Great thread Halo69! Nice to read your views about the songs.

I will try to find some time to ellaborate my thoughts about CD  Grin

M?sica, m?sica, m?sica, siempre s?...
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:16:51 AM »

Great thread Halo69! Nice to read your views about the songs.

I will try to find some time to ellaborate my thoughts about CD  Grin

Thank you  Grin ill be checking ok

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »

I once had a well thought theory how some songs match/fit together with stories and themes, the way baz and axl have mentioned some do

it was some time ago but i think i remember the protagonist of the story was the shackler, or maybe there were more charachters and the shackler was the antagonist.. don't remember Undecided

i think catcher was connected with shackler's revenge, it's just pure imagination and i don't really think these are the connections baz talked about since citr is connected to the book as well, but anyway all the lines about "wishing to have a gun" and actually "giving that boy a gun", guessing to have more fun + the bizarre funny feeling that there will be something wrong today in SR and blowing them all away. maybe the shackler and catcher is the same. by the end of catcher, the voices goes away. the voices of the wicked demon in shacklers. empty feeling he won't be home today, citr could be the awakening from shacklers demon, to the not sane but not so evil self

the 2 songs are singing to each other, telling the same story, both shackler and catcher could be speaking of school shootings, young outcasts, etc.

i have no idea if this makes any sense to anybody else than me.. but there's more connections just between these 2 songs and there's as much to some of the other songs, it's deep man, real deep smoking hihi

i was lazy writing this + watching the world cup so bare with me if it looks too fucked up Wink

Sergott
Opening Act

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »

You tell them stories they'd rather believe
Use and confuse them
They're numb and na?ve

The truth is the truth hurts
Don't you agree?

It's harder to live
With the truth about you
Than to live with
The lies about me

Nobody owes you
Not one goddamn thing
You know where to put your
'Just shut up and sing'

I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You don't know who in the hell to
Or not to believe
I'm sorry for you
Not sorry for me
You chose to hurt those that love you
An' won't set them free
Won't set them free
You chose to hurt those that love you
An' won't set them free

I really think this part of Sorry is about Slash, his book, his lawsuits over how GNR music is used, his trying to leading the band, and most importantly Velvet Revolver and relationship to Duff.  I enjoy the line Set Them Free as it seems to be a parody of Velvet Revolver's first single.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »

^to me that's not about slash, about his book?  the book was released by the end of 07, do you think he changed the lyrics and shit after that hihi no to me its obvious it's about managers, record label concecutives, "fans", journalists and other douchebags (maybe a line or 2 inspired by slash but it's not solely about the former guitarist)
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 12:01:28 PM »

^

On the Osaka download, before Axl sings Sorry, he says words to the effect that this ISN'T about anybody in particular.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:20:34 PM by wight gunner » Logged

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
randomconcepts
Headliner

SE7EN

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »

Lots of "I thinks" and "Axl's"... I just think you are off. I do not like these "tell me your meanings"... just come up with your own personal meaning or story. That does not involve Axl or GNR... that is the meaning of any form of art... apply it to yourself. It is too difficult to take one mans meaning and place it in another mans hands to decipher. Now it just becomes a bible. Words past down to become another mans vision and not the vision that was intended.

It is fine to make YOUR OWN personal meanings but, don't do your take on Axl's meaning. that just becomes argumentative for others and really only one man and a band have the correct answers. If they share it great... if not... even better... then we get to paint our own picture. I just like the songs... do not need to know Axl's meanings the way others see them.

Cos I'm A Human Being...
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:50 AM »

To me Sorry its more dedicated to the managements Axl had that screwd with him. It could be dedicated to Merck and that would explain the accent, since Merck is Greek or something hihi

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

Maybe they'll take years to solve, but right now I think that overall, every song on this album is tied to freedom of oneself, and the liberation of their soul (if you believe in that kind of thing).

From the moment you press "play" on your stereo, Axl takes you on an emotional journey that doesn't let up until the disc stops spinning.

Virtually every emotion is explored on the album: anger, love, happiness, regret, betrayal, deceit, etc; its all here.

As each song passes, more and more weight is no doubt being lifted from Axl's soul as over a decade of built-up demons and emotional dilemas pour through the album; full of aggression at the begining, and ending on a blissfully melancholy note of what sounds like someone whose finally at peace.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 07:56:40 AM »

Lots of "I thinks" and "Axl's"... I just think you are off. I do not like these "tell me your meanings"... just come up with your own personal meaning or story. That does not involve Axl or GNR... that is the meaning of any form of art... apply it to yourself. It is too difficult to take one mans meaning and place it in another mans hands to decipher. Now it just becomes a bible. Words past down to become another mans vision and not the vision that was intended.

It is fine to make YOUR OWN personal meanings but, don't do your take on Axl's meaning. that just becomes argumentative for others and really only one man and a band have the correct answers. If they share it great... if not... even better... then we get to paint our own picture. I just like the songs... do not need to know Axl's meanings the way others see them.

Dont do this, dont do that... bla bla bla... that answer was just stupid, dont you have anything better to write?

Sure its better to have YOUR own meanings, which i do, but argumenting what Axl wanted to express is also fun and creates discussion like you say you didnt like...

well isn't that why we're here for ? to discuss? .....

If you're not interested in this topic though, you have a thousand of other topics to choose from! Don't bother us with your self righteous dictating answers! And even to do that, you have to be a little more creative than that...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:00:47 AM by Halo69 » Logged

w.david rose
Rocker

"I Believe In Israel"- W.AXL ROSE 13.06.06

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »

Best topic ever dude Grin

the most sick fan in the middle east
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

What about the verse where it says "just shut up and sing".  Is that not what Slash said to Axl over the phone regarding the directions the band wanted to go or am I  mistaken?

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »

What about the verse where it says "just shut up and sing".  Is that not what Slash said to Axl over the phone regarding the directions the band wanted to go or am I  mistaken?
maybe but i think thousands of people have said "just shut up and sing" or something along those lines about axl
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »

You got a good point there! But he probably heard that from millions of managers that passed through GNR.

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: