Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 10:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses - Helsinki Live Festival 06.05.2010 - DISCUSSION
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses - Helsinki Live Festival 06.05.2010 - DISCUSSION  (Read 24366 times)
sixgnr
Rocker

I know it's only Rock N' Roll but I like it!

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »

Thank you Helsinki, Finland, everyone live in this beautiful country  beer
 love love love love love love love love

I'm Fuckin' Innocent!
Turin '92 + Milan & Zurich 2006 + Helsinki-Aalborg-Roma-Milano-Zurich 2010
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

What a show!!  ok  ok  ok And it's so different when sober  hihi I'm so sore and only just got home but it was all SO worth it!

Here's hoping they come back soon, my wallet might not be able to take the hit tho lol

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »

Well, now that I've had some time to "digest" the concert experience, I can write down my two cents: Excellent show, but maybe a bit too short, would have loved to hear a couple of songs more, like Patience, If The World, Don't Cry and My Michelle. Axl seemed to be in a good mood, but didn't really talk to the audience almost at all, I would have expected at least one rant. Cheesy All in all a great concert experience, but seemed a bit "routine" maybe. Out of the three guitarists, Ashba was the one who really stuck out.  ok

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:40 AM »

The lack of rants and talk doesn't really bother me, it was just so great in all the other ways!

In todays Helsingin Sanomat was the "real" review of the concert. The writer was very happy and positive about the band. There was nothing about "new members", he only wrote about "the members", there was nothing about "Axl being late" and he even praised the solos! Especially Dizzys piano solo and Another Brick In The Wall got a special mention. Not to mention that he was happy to hear all those songs from Chinese Democracy Smiley He also wrote about the band's good mood and Axl's energy. Very positive review!

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2010, 04:07:55 AM »

The lack of rants and talk doesn't really bother me, it was just so great in all the other ways!

In todays Helsingin Sanomat was the "real" review of the concert. The writer was very happy and positive about the band. There was nothing about "new members", he only wrote about "the members", there was nothing about "Axl being late" and he even praised the solos! Especially Dizzys piano solo and Another Brick In The Wall got a special mention. Not to mention that he was happy to hear all those songs from Chinese Democracy Smiley He also wrote about the band's good mood and Axl's energy. Very positive review!

Here it is:

So Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always thriumph, because good is dumb.
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2010, 04:59:09 AM »

Errr... he said they were mostly filler so I wouldn't put it quite like that.

And my 120% subjective view doesn't quite agree with what was written. "Charisma-free current lineup"? WTF? Relatively maybe yes, but mostly due to more guys with stationary instruments than back in the day. At least I wouldn't calli Dj's performance and crowd interaction any amount shy of that of Slash's. So would the difference in charisma be Duff vs. any "new guys" 'cause it sure as hell couldn't be Izzy's amazing stage presence back in the day...

Oh well. I guess it could've been a worse review. And over past few years I've lost total respect for that piece of shit rag (due to more important news) so I don't really care Cheesy
axe
Rocker

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »

Ilta-Sanomat had a pretty good review (not online, though). I don't have the paper here to get any real quotes, though. But the reporter had liked it, and she even wrote that let Axl do his thing and Slash his thing, it works pretty well this way. Her downside of the concert was the same as mine: Axl could be a little more talkative. The long rants of the early 90's can stay there, but I like Axl's little stories and jokes on stage, and there wasn't any (except that visual one about his stomach).

Finnish people probably get some kind of a kick out of this "review".
Munamankeli
Opening Act

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2010, 06:54:07 AM »

In todays Helsingin Sanomat was the "real" review of the concert. The writer was very happy and positive about the band.  There was nothing about "new members", he only wrote about "the members", there was nothing about "Axl being late" and he even praised the solos! Especially Dizzys piano solo and Another Brick In The Wall got a special mention. Not to mention that he was happy to hear all those songs from Chinese Democracy Smiley He also wrote about the band's good mood and Axl's energy. Very positive review!

Actually he is not that positive about the band but considered them as bunch of harmless musicians who lack required charisma. For him and many other the band and gig seemed to be a nostalgic trip down memory lane. "There was not much rock and roll in Axl Rose's GNR show but as a character he is very interesting, embodying 1980-90s when - for the last time - rock bands could really become huge stars. " And he is right. Think about... well... who? Coldplay?

My random notes:
+ Axl really delivered despite rather slow and sluggish start; much better than I expected and his voice is aged well, actually it sounded better than the first time I heard him live (Donington 1988 which might have suffered from poor PA and early slot on the bill)

+ DJ Ashba ruled and he is well worth his salt - and salary. Perfect recruitment and his playing and attitude saved a lot.

- Other members were... er, sorry... just musicians who could have played for any artist in any band.

+ Pink Floyd was spot on cover knowing that Saturday was end of semester and youngsters were partying heavily
"We don't need no education
We dont need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone"

+ New songs rocked and actually almost none of them sucked (still don't like This I Love)

- Guitar solos were boring, no soul, emotion or idea whatsoever. Probably plenty of skills but that's not the point.

- Paid 179 ? to get access to VIP beer tents and other facilities but the host (Fosters / Hartwall) run our of beer well before encores. Surreal. It was like Guns N' Roses not having enough decent songs to play encores... not possible.

- / + Audience was not into it 100%. I guess it was much energetic near the stage but looking it behind lighting/mixing tower it was like just "just another day at the festival", i.e. people were chit-chatting, enjoying chilly but nice weather, wandering around and barely noticing there is something happening on the stage.

+ That belly thingy was hilarious. Axl really took the piss out of us.

All in all, Axl and guys turned the jungle into a nice day in paradise city (not referring to Helsinki).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:15:30 AM by Munamankeli » Logged
Munamankeli
Opening Act

« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »

Finnish people probably get some kind of a kick out of this "review".

"P??laulaja Axl Rose" Priceless.
wegotit
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »

A review from austria

http://www.oe24.at/kultur/So-wild-rockt-Axl-Rose-0720627.ece

1991 Copenhagen, 1992 Mercury Tribute, 1992 Vienna, 1992 Axl & U2, 1993 Chapel Hill, 1993 Vienna, 2001 Rio, 2002 Pukkelpop, 2006 Budapest, 2006 Novarock, 2010 Helsinki, 2010 Vienna, 2012 Graz, 2016
Koskenkorvasieni
Rocker

Guns N' Finland

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 07:33:48 AM »

Ilta-Sanomat review:

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 09:13:23 AM »

The concert was awsome!  Just got home and my body still hurts from all the jumping about just in front of the stage!

So, there were 17500 people at the show...but how many of them actually made it to the pre-party at Rocks? Grin

Two from the forum as I can recall, me and Seal (Otto) and his girlfriend Ida and friend Temmu. Thank you all  for being very nice to me. What a fantastic day it was beer

Thanx to Bumblefoot for the meet n greet, and yeah you were on "around 8.30" peace

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »

So, there were 17500 people at the show...but how many of them actually made it to the pre-party at Rocks? Grin

I got there a little late, around 6pm....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »

Chris was wearing Kimi R?ikk?nen's helmet during Paradise City.

Grin

/jarmo

Kimi Pitm?n pic from Chris' facebook:

Chris Pitman
I have been known to fly head first over my wobbly keyboard stand, so Kimi Raikkonen suggested I have one of his F1 racing helmets to protect my ass! thanx bro!

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Sillything
VIP

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

/jarmo

Oh we were early, headed out for Danko. Thanx for setting it up, catch you next time beer

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
H76
Headliner

Human Being

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »

Errr... he said they were mostly filler so I wouldn't put it quite like that.

And my 120% subjective view doesn't quite agree with what was written. "Charisma-free current lineup"? WTF? Relatively maybe yes, but mostly due to more guys with stationary instruments than back in the day. At least I wouldn't calli Dj's performance and crowd interaction any amount shy of that of Slash's. So would the difference in charisma be Duff vs. any "new guys" 'cause it sure as hell couldn't be Izzy's amazing stage presence back in the day...

Oh well. I guess it could've been a worse review. And over past few years I've lost total respect for that piece of shit rag (due to more important news) so I don't really care Cheesy

If DJ is charisma-free then cows and pigs fly..  Grin Besides that was a rock consert, not a circus act. If guys consentrate on delivering the music then I can not see what the problem is.

Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul. ~ Wayne Dyer ~
bangit
Rocker

Here Today..been on mygnr for past few years.

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »

Back in the UK, time for my review of the gig.

Had a great 4 days in Helsinki, lots of sightseeing, loads of koff beer, crowmore cider and a fowl beer with a bear on it that i don't wish to talk about any further! A wonderful little city full of amazing looking women, jesus you people have got the best genes in the world!  beer

Anyway...... failed to attend meet and greet with bbf as i ended up drinking in Kallio at some cheaper bars around midday and my friends didn't really fancy leaving! I didn't take much persuading to stay, given the 2 euro 50 cent beer! As a result of this i also missed the pre show meet at on the rocks. I had spent the previous 2 evenings in the place until 3am though! (great bar actually, fab music, only place i have ever heard double talking jive played in the club! in addition to rocket queen and nightrain on the same night - awesome!) Some crazy gnr must have been putting requests in!   beer

Walked from Kallio to the gig, arrived around 5pm, grabbed 2 fosters and watched danko from the beer area, we were all very impressed! Quite an entertaining act with some good tunes!

Purchased a cool gnr shirt with the Finnish flag on the back. (will be donning this at leeds fest later in the year!)

Toilet break (good facilities by the way)  then back to the bar, 2 more fosters and watched skunk, thought they were rubbish, 2 half decent songs and the rest was just a noise to me i'm afraid. Skin has the energy on stage but i just didn't get the noise, sorry music.

Time for a couple of jagermeister and another facility break then into position for GNR.

Managed to get a good spot 20 yards from the front of the stage dead centre. The wait began, started to need the toilet again, as fucking always lol! my 9pm estimate came and went, bumble was playing with and acoustic on the left side of the stage for about half an hour before GNR came on, he looked to be waiting patiently. Sure enough, 915 arrives, i decide to make a run for the toilet and sods law intro begins, i run back to original position to meet my laughing mates (without emptying bladder) and CD intro begins, awesome!

CD - Great opener, first time i've heard it live, everyone around me was into it, even a small group of idiot teenagers who tried to get some boos going after about the 30 minute wait mark. (they soon shut the fuck up when the show began  hihi )
Axls voice was a a little hard to hear, low in the mix?

WTTJ - Awesome as per usual, everyone was head banging now! Again axls voice, low in the mix.

Easy, Brownstone - excellent

Vocal was a lot louder after the first 4 songs for me.

Rocket Queen - a highlight for me, 1st time ive seen it performed even though this was my fourth show, axls voice fucking rocked!

TIL - WOW! again, that voice! Best it has been since the 80s. Without a shadow of a doubt.

SOD - Again, amazing vocal and performance.

Infact every song was great, i have no complaints, this was my 4th GNR show and the best overall performance i've seen. solid band, everything was great! DJ is a real prize and clearly enjoys himself!

There was nothing to complain about at this gig in my eyes, axl was on in good time really, 45 mins was nothing to wait. Any people moaning about that performance are fucking strange in my eyes, the sound problems at the beginning were minor.

I won't get greedy and say i would have liked to hear.......... ITW etc.... hopefully another time!

Finally got to the toilet after the gig, you will all be pleased to no  smoking

Can't wait for leeds and maybe one more on the euro tour later in the year!

Walked back to hotel in city centre, had some gin in the hotel then headed out after the gig to a sports bar opposite the train station where we met some lovely Finnish hookers, my mate thought he'd pulled lol

Overall, a great GNR road trip once again, my 4th gig in 4th country, a great time had by all (inlcuding a GNR skeptic who attended download 06 and hated it)! Anyone who hasn't ventured abroad to see GNR i woudl highly recommend it, way more enjoyable than waiting for them to visit your home town!

How i managed to go to work today, i have no idea!   Now, sleep..........................

Rock in Rio Lisbon 2006, Download Dublin 2006, Sheffield 2006, Helsinki Live festival 2010, Leeds Festival 2010, Manchester 2010! 6 fucking amazing experiences! Where in 2012?Huh?
Ignacio
Rocker

I'm fn' inoccent!

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:49 AM »

That press scans are awesome. Thanks to all who are sharing pics and reviews!

M?sica, m?sica, m?sica, siempre s?...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 09:46:15 AM »

bangit, good to hear you had a great time! Smiley And thanks for the review, so cool you guys enjoyed Helsinki and the gig.

I'm planning on going abroad to see GN'R too and Leeds is one of the choices.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
sixgnr
Rocker

I know it's only Rock N' Roll but I like it!

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »

/jarmo
Do you think to got there a little late??? My bro and me arrived there at the beginning of CD... but this is another story :-)

I'm Fuckin' Innocent!
Turin '92 + Milan & Zurich 2006 + Helsinki-Aalborg-Roma-Milano-Zurich 2010
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: