Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 11:19:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Matt Sorum: 'Duff Is Doing 2 Or 3 Shows With Jane's Addiction - That's It'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matt Sorum: 'Duff Is Doing 2 Or 3 Shows With Jane's Addiction - That's It'  (Read 12708 times)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »

People are going to hate me for this, but I think the best singer/frontman package he's been in a band with since 96 is Scott Weiland. And the best singer he's worked with in another capacity since then have been Michael Jackson, Chris Cornell and Fergie.

Myles sings songs, but he doesn't feel them. Something that makes all of the above singers (and Axl, of course) stand out above the rest.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »

People are going to hate me for this, but I think the best singer/frontman package he's been in a band with since 96 is Scott Weiland. And the best singer he's worked with in another capacity since then have been Michael Jackson, Chris Cornell and Fergie.

Myles sings songs, but he doesn't feel them. Something that makes all of the above singers (and Axl, of course) stand out above the rest.

I dont hate you, i respect your opinion.   Smiley  I really liked Scott.  He had great stage presence when he was on his game and Contraband is one of my favourite albums in a long time.  but i have to agree with Slash about the direction the band took when he came onboard and his singing not being good enough to accomodate some of the things they wanted to do.  (i don't think it would of been pretty if he had of done SCOM).

If i could merge them into 1... that would be great.  haha

in my last post, i only took Slash's bands into account.  its too difficult for me to compare Myles to someone like MJ or Fergie

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »

Starlight is a stellar song vocally, and the lyrics are fantastic. That is all on Myles. I am not sure how you can watch him sing that at these shows and conclude his performances are sterile and with no feeling. Outside of that he is just covering other people's songs, so there is only so much you "feeling" you can really ever put into someone else's work as an artist.

You really should go listen to some of his Alter Bridge or Mayfield four stuff because sterile and without feeling are about the last things I have heard associated with with his singing or lyrics.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

I just wish Myles would find his own vocal style, or at least settle in one. In Alter Bridge, he channels Chris Cornell and his voice sounds REALLY powerful, but with Slash's live band he's really high, nasal and whiny.
Maybe he'd be better off sticking to singing in the low register vocals instead.
I do really dig the fuck out of Back From Cali, and Starlight ain't too bad either when I skip the high pitched bits, so maybe he'd work well with VR as he can write pretty good with Slash.

Back on topic, it seems like no-one in VR is communicating properly at all.
I don't think Duff plans on getting back to VR anytime soon, but Matt says differently...?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »

Starlight is a stellar song vocally, and the lyrics are fantastic.

Sorry, mate. That song for me just blows. It sounds like something a American Idol contestant would write - all weepy and Americanish. There's no denying Myles vocal capability, but as for liking his singing / writing capability, it's either a hit or a miss, mainly because he doesn't sound consistent. Like metallex78 said, he seems to have many vocals styles and I only like a few of them.

P.S: I liked the vocals he did on 'Civil War'.

Fuck 'Em All.
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »

I like Myles and I hope he is the new VR singer. He and Slash seem to have a good chemistry. Any singers voice is not going to be liked by all. For example I have always been a GNR fan but my husband cannot stand them because he does not like to hear Axl sing.

Slash will find a singer for VR this year if he has not already done so. And I guess Duff will be available. Slash has said for months VR will happen he diffently knows something we do not.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »

Just cant understand why Duff would join Janes Addiction for good............... i mean why?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »

Myles replied to my tweet asking if he'd ever join velvet! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Me: @MylesKennedy whats up legend.Ur nailing the tour!u & slash is my dream combo from 2 of my fave bands.would u ever consider joining velvet?

wait for it

Myles: Thanks Alex...I love playing these songs...such a thrill.

Did i get u excited. The douche skillfully avioded answering me! Well it wasn't really skillful.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »

Shit, I take that like he IS JOINING VR

if not, he'd say, no dude, just doing tour and then gonna head back to day job.

but NOOOOOO

avoiding the question is an admission

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 10:19:34 PM »

Just cant understand why Duff would join Janes Addiction for good............... i mean why?

Because they are a bigger and more reliable band than VR.  IMO

Myles replied to my tweet asking if he'd ever join velvet! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Me: @MylesKennedy whats up legend.Ur nailing the tour!u & slash is my dream combo from 2 of my fave bands.would u ever consider joining velvet?

wait for it

Did i get u excited. The douche skillfully avioded answering me! Well it wasn't really skillful.

So you call him a legend and kiss up to him, then you go on to call him a douche?   Roll Eyes  Myles actually seems like the nicest guy, and I'm sure he is probably too busy with Alter Bridge.  I wish he would join VR though.   This solo thing with Slash is still pretty cool though.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »

It's all about timing.

You know the Creed guys will do another album with Scott Stapp again after the next Alter Bridge album, so that leaves Myles with some free time. He had a solo record he has been putting together (which Slash played on) that he was planning on releasing, but it he can do something with VR it might prove attractive to him.

I think it is clear that he and Slash do seem to have some good chemistry together, and while some people are critical of Myles voice he is light years ahead of anyone else VR could hope to get as a singer. He is very versatile vocally, and with the right material I think VR could put together a really killer album with him fronting the band.

Watching some of the live shows, I have not seen Slash this into it in a long ass time. I am not sure if it is sobriety or what, but his playing has been on point, and he seems to be having alot of fun out on stage and alot of that is attributable to Myles. I for one am thrilled he decided to do the tour with Slash, because it has been great to hear him playing Nightrain, CW, SCOM, and PC again on a regular basis. He isn't and never will be the red head, and nor does he try to be. However, I am also not sure I have heard another vocalist take on the GNR stuff and do a more credible job of at least making them sound respectable than he has.

Slash is not dumb, and knows guys like that are few and far between, which is why i am sure if he has his druthers Myles will be singing on the next VR album if they can make it happen. For the kind of rock album I think they want to make, they are not going to find a better option.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »

I think it is clear that he and Slash do seem to have some good chemistry together, and while some people are critical of Myles voice he is light years ahead of anyone else VR could hope to get as a singer. He is very versatile vocally, and with the right material I think VR could put together a really killer album with him fronting the band.

Slash is not dumb, and knows guys like that are few and far between, which is why i am sure if he has his druthers Myles will be singing on the next VR album if they can make it happen. For the kind of rock album I think they want to make, they are not going to find a better option.

I agree that Myles is by far the best option VR has at this moment. I do hope he surprises me (and in a good way) on the next album.

Fuck 'Em All.
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 02:22:04 AM »

I wasn't that impressed with myles when he and slash played the paradiso
He didn't reach the high notes at all.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »

i think Duff didnt wanna hurt Matts feelings he could of said

"sorry Matt, ive got better things to do"

html sucks
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »

Yet another case of Sorum sticking his foot in his mouth?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »

So you call him a legend and kiss up to him, then you go on to call him a douche?   Roll Eyes

yes, that is what i just did. nice summary of my post! Are you a blurb writer during the day, and a dude-who-misses-the-point-of-posts during the night?

Grin your right he does seem like a great guy.. lacks the personality to be the worlds best frontman, but would be very solid. I also don't think he's a fake "technical" vocalist as some have made out, just doesn't have that many emotions to portray cos he's a pretty generic dude.

anyways we're getting off topic. i can't think of one believeable scenario where duff lied to matt? is matt retarded? was he misinterpreted? it just makes no sense. hope somebody follows this up soon

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

wait for it

Several Weeks ago my question to Slash was: Will Myles be the new VR singer? Slash's answer Myles is in Alterbrige. Smiley
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »

wait for it

Several Weeks ago my question to Slash was: Will Myles be the new VR singer? Slash's answer Myles is in Alterbrige. Smiley

technically speaking he is, but that doesn't mean that cant change

i mean, how happy is a guy that was auditioning for zeppelin as of a year ago?
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:26 PM »

wait for it

technically speaking he is, but that doesn't mean that cant change

i mean, how happy is a guy that was auditioning for zeppelin as of a year ago?

It also means he can do BOTH.  Velvet Revoler does not have to be a full time active band, and it shouldnt be.  1 album and a tour every 3 or 4 years is fine.  Alter Bridge has Creed and Myles can have VR.  I hope this happens.

on a side note, Janes Addiction is not that big anymore.  People stopped giving a fuck about them back in 94.  Im not bad mouthing them, but its not like they are these huge superstars anymore.  They are an average size band with a loyal following, like most bands.  Velvet has sold more albums than them in the past decade.

plus you can talk about Myles technical ability all day long, he is a damn good singer.  Led Zeppelin knows more than we do, and they were interested in him.  He is the perfect non ego frontman that VR needs.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »

puts on flame suit

i think JA are fucking terrible and can't understand why Duff would take this job

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: