Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Says He Is A 'Twitter Junkie'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Says He Is A 'Twitter Junkie'  (Read 3605 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »

Slash Gets Hooked on Social Networking

May 14th 2010

Everyone knows the music industry has changed, including the ways artists connect with fans. And when it came time for Slash to promote his self-titled debut solo album, he found he needed to try new things. "Doing this record, I did an independent distribution deal, I started using social networking, I put myself out there in places. I don't even know whether it's good or bad," Slash tells Spinner. "It's flying by the seat of your pants and seeing what sticks. There's a lot of s--- that I'm doing now that in my sort of cool Guns N' Roses days I wouldn't have done."

With all these changes, Slash admits the way Guns did things bands couldn't get away with today. "There was a certain kind of arrogance and natural mystique to the rock 'n' roll thing. We did everything the way that we were influenced coming up, what we thought was cool," he says. "Like being quiet and just being sort of too cool for school and hanging in the shadows and hoping the music gets discovered -- you never have to say a word. You'd be hard pressed to be able to pull it off these days."

One of the biggest changes is Twitter, which he's become a big fan of after some initial reluctance. "I'm a f---ing Twitter junkie now. I'm not one of those people, even in the days when it was just the phone, I've never been one to call, 'Hey, dude, what's happening?'" he says. "Twitter's one of those things where you can reach out to as many fans as you can get a hold of and it's a sort of lifeline to your audience that's in real time and as close to in-person as you're gonna get."

Interestingly, while a devotee himself of both Twitter and Facebook, among others, the iconic guitarist believes social networking could've been even bigger in the '80s. "I think if Twitter and Facebook and My Space and stuff had existed back then it would have been huge. It would have been bigger in the '80s than it is now," he says. "That whole sort of '80s scene that was going on would've gone crazy for the whole social networking thing."

But really, isn't it hard to imagine it being bigger than it is now? "Well, everybody uses it, but it would've been a craze," he says. "For '80s rock bands like Poison, it would've been off the charts."

So, what would've happened if the cool mystique of Guns N' Roses had met social networking? "We had that sort of tunnel vision that only did things the way that we saw to do it and everybody had to go by that standard. I don't think we would have gone for the whole social networking thing," he says. "I wouldn't have used it."

All in all, it's a sign that Slash has grown up. "It takes a lot of effort to be cool," he adds, laughing. "There's a point where you're just like 'I don't give a s---.'"

http://www.spinner.com/2010/05/14/slash-social-networking-solo-album/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:58:43 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:29 AM »

SLASH Says He Is A 'Twitter Junkie' - May 15, 2010

Legendary guitarist Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES) has told Spinner that when it came time for him to promote his self-titled debut solo album, he found he needed to try new things. "Doing this record, I did an independent distribution deal, I started using social networking, I put myself out there in places. I don't even know whether it's good or bad," Slash said. "It's flying by the seat of your pants and seeing what sticks. There's a lot of shit that I'm doing now that in my sort of cool GUNS N' ROSES days I wouldn't have done."

He added, "I'm a fucking Twitter junkie now. I'm not one of those people, even in the days when it was just the phone, I've never been one to call, 'Hey, dude, what's happening?' Twitter's one of those things where you can reach out to as many fans as you can get a hold of and it's a sort of lifeline to your audience that's in real time and as close to in-person as you're gonna get."

So, what would've happened if the cool mystique of GUNS N' ROSES had met social networking? "We had that sort of tunnel vision that only did things the way that we saw to do it and everybody had to go by that standard. I don't think we would have gone for the whole social networking thing," he told Spinner. "I wouldn't have used it."

Read more from Spinner.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140097

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »

He diffently has become a "Twitter Junkie" but his fans are benefiting. He will dm us until twitter will not let him then he stops for 10 hours and when the systems refreshes he starts again. He answers question, says good night and good morning. He has answered every question I have asked him except one. But when I rephrased it he answered it. Twittering has also helped him with the smoking problem.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:18:54 AM »

Yeah, i was freaking shocked to find a direct message in my box about Back to Cali. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:18 AM »

He diffently has become a "Twitter Junkie" but his fans are benefiting. He will dm us until twitter will not let him then he stops for 10 hours and when the systems refreshes he starts again. He answers question, says good night and good morning. He has answered every question I have asked him except one. But when I rephrased it he answered it. Twittering has also helped him with the smoking problem.

How did twitter help him with his smoking problem?

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57:40 AM »

He says it gives him something to do with his hands.
14 Yrs Of Silence
VIP

AXL SLASH DUFF = GOAT

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »

I have a twitter question for anyone that knows.  Does the person have to follow you for you to ask them a question, or could you just phrase you tweet @whomever and they will see your question/comment?

I have something I want to do with Guns N' Roses...That can be a long career or it can be a short explosive career-as long as it gets out in a big way. - Axl Rose 7/6/86
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »

I have a twitter question for anyone that knows.  Does the person have to follow you for you to ask them a question, or could you just phrase you tweet @whomever and they will see your question/comment?

No the person does not have to follow you.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »

He says it gives him something to do with his hands.
O god I could only imagine hihi

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »

A little on why Slash has not been posting as much on Twitter lately.  From one of his fan websites:

Hey Troop, Slash won't be back this weekend as rumored ! He's gonna be back to LA and need to give some attention to his family, so he's under a twitter detox !

He still doesn't know when he'll feel safe to return without such addiction to the thing! We all know how he is and lately it wasn't hard to notice that he wasn't sleeping well or joining his bandmates on sightseeings, so it's better for him to stay away for a while and live the real life. He personally told me that he misses you all but he needs this time for him, so we must respect him and keep it up till he gets back to say hello !!

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 02:06:21 AM »

He still hasn't been back.  I could totally see it, though.  A truly addictive personality can go from one thing to the next. 
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 03:48:40 AM »

He still hasn't been back.  I could totally see it, though.  A truly addictive personality can go from one thing to the next. 
rofl rofl rofl
Ah from hard core drugs to socal networking sites Slash has experenced it all!!!
The more I think about it I think Slash is part teenager I mean getting hooked on twiter I assume doesn't happen to most adults or at least I hope so. hihi

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »

Yeah, i was freaking shocked to find a direct message in my box about Back to Cali. ok

So what is his twitter address?

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »

So what is his twitter address?

@slash
He is posting now but now dming yet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: