Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 07:47:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228123 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Estranged 2010 (Tour) - Fan Campaign
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Estranged 2010 (Tour) - Fan Campaign  (Read 17697 times)
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »

Requesting a band to play a song=lame  Roll Eyes

It doesn't mean that people are not happy with what they hear...it is just a certain liking to a whole other song. Is that so fucking outrageous?

I was lucky to hear Estranged 3 times live (once for the video). I will never forget each time. The first time I didn't catch the title when Axl introduced it and it sent shivers up my spine.

As for anyone saying the new group can't play the song, that is just retarded. This band is better than the old, no doubt and I'm an ol fucker from way back! 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:28:56 PM by chriskon72 » Logged

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
A MAN DRY
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

Why demanding something on the setlist? There's plenty of awesome songs already...

There are no such things as stupid questions, but .... JK

Estranged is one of their best songs ever and you don't need me to point out to you that there were so few performances of that song.

Yeah there are awesome songs already on the setlist (it's GN'R) but I would love to see them mix it up a little more.
It's the same thing as 2006, and you don't need me to point out how demanding a setlist for a gig you're not even attending doesn't make sense. They ARE mixing the setlist, anyways.

When you're there, you can be sure you'll have an awesome performance, regardless of what songs they play.

BTW, my "stupid question" was rethoric, I didn't really want anyone to answer what is obvious to me.

Do you want them to play Estranged?
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2010, 06:14:40 AM »

Do you think No.58 is the real Dexter?

THAT would be awesome.But could be anyone.
GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 07:10:38 AM »

I file this in the "It can't hurt to ask" category.

... or in the "It doesn't pay to try" category  Grin

Some people say this is too lame or just stupid ... i'd say it's such lame and stupid as asking for one more song in the end of the show ... when people like the show, they ask for more... it's normal and it's part of this business ... it's not a crime to ask for it ... but it's almost a "crime" do not play some epic songs, like Estranged, Civil War, and others, at least, once in a while.

I hope the ones who think this is lame or stupid, have found that the setlist from the last concert in Rio was exciting enough and revealing the full capability of this band.

Peace  peace

kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:54 AM »

I file this in the "It can't hurt to ask" category.

... or in the "It doesn't pay to try" category  Grin

Some people say this is too lame or just stupid ... i'd say it's such lame and stupid as asking for one more song in the end of the show ... when people like the show, they ask for more... it's normal and it's part of this business ... it's not a crime to ask for it ... but it's almost a "crime" do not play some epic songs, like Estranged, Civil War, and others, at least, once in a while.

I hope the ones who think this is lame or stupid, have found that the setlist from the last concert in Rio was exciting enough and revealing the full capability of this band.

Peace  peace
actually i dont know if this happens with other bands.(everybody waiting for one song to be played).Only maiden with Alexander the great but its differnet Alexander is not a classic of iron maiden.And Estranged is one of the most important songs of GNR.its like iron maiden wasnt playing the trooper in 18 years!
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:18 AM »

I don't want to request a song - the band will make its mind up - however i think it would be f*cking cool if they threw in a crazy fast one - right next door to hell, perfect crime or garden of eden just to tear things up

Here today...ready to rock
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »

I don't think they will ever play Estranged again. Or Dead Horse, Locomotive, Coma or Civil War, for that matter. Unfortunately I doubt a petition would change that. They will play Estranged (and Illusion songs) if they feel like it, and obviously they don't. They still play great shows though.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 02:01:01 PM »

I guess the songs could eventually be played again. They even rehearsed Perfect Crime back in 2006, so why not?

Do you want them to play Estranged?
I love the song. If they ever play it again, of course I would be happy. But that doesn't make me demand for it.

Im like the number 1 fan of Riad. I always wanted to hear the song live (since the first time I heard it, in January 2001). Still, do I need to whine about it and start a petition (yes, I know very few would sign it) demanding it?

requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »

I love the song. If they ever play it again, of course I would be happy. But that doesn't make me demand for it.

Whether you view it as a demand or a request seems to be a matter of perspective. It's generally acknowledged as one of his best songs. Why wouldn't people want to hear it? I don't see how it's insulting to say "we really like one of your songs, please play it."
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

aaaaahhhh....a setlist topic  Wink

Axl 12/2008 quote about playing some other illusion songs at live shows:

Axl: "Estranged and Civil War probably somewhere."

and we've had "Perfect Crime" on that setlist-pic from their official site(or what was it again?), so actually there must have been some interest in playing those 3 songs live, huh?

Why demanding something on the setlist? There's plenty of awesome songs already...
Well ... this has been a fantastic tour ...

... but today, a show is not only aimed at those who are attending on the site. Thousands of fans around the world follow these shows in real time, over the internet ... and this is part of the spectacle itself.

... you have to agree that after about 30 shows ... enthusiasm is not the same for those who are out of place of the show ... innovation is part of the development of humanity and lately there has been no breakthrough in these setlists.

i have to agree with "GUNNER" on this one.
for now no big surprises since the asia09 shows, not even a  Baz duet - though he is on tour aswell. there is no harm in more unpredictable setlists, its more of a win-win situation for the fans and band members, too!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »

Whether you view it as a demand or a request seems to be a matter of perspective. It's generally acknowledged as one of his best songs. Why wouldn't people want to hear it? I don't see how it's insulting to say "we really like one of your songs, please play it."
Or "yeah, I don't really care about the new album, just get me even more of the old stuff".

i have to agree with "GUNNER" on this one.
for now no big surprises since the asia09 shows, not even a  Baz duet - though he is on tour aswell. there is no harm in more unpredictable setlists, its more of a win-win situation for the fans and band members, too!
I never had a chance to see the band live before. When I see them last month, I was blown away with songs like KOHD, YCBM, IRS and Madagascar. Mind you, I've been listening to some of those performed live by the new band since 2001 in bootlegs. Still, it's nothing like when you're there.

Also, I'm sure it was the first time for the majority of people there in S?o Paulo. My point is: the band rehearsed and set up a show already with some options. They worked on that for a long time before the Asian tour and still are presenting it to the world.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »

i hear you, BUT (speculating)....i'm very sure you and basically every 1st-time-attender would have been blown away by "civil war", "estranged" and others, too!

Re-Union time, baby!!
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »

and we've had "Perfect Crime" on that setlist-pic from their official site(or what was it again?), so actually there must have been some interest in playing those 3 songs live, huh?

Not so sure about that.

Have we heard any of those 3 songs live or any "surprise" songs from the Illusions since Las Vegas 2001? No. Except Don't Cry, and not in a "full" version with the whole band.

When it comes to "special" songs, they chose something like Down On The Farm, Whole Lotta Rosie, covers by Tommy or some "rare" songs from Chinese Democracy: There Was A Time, Prostitute or Catcher In The Rye.

About Illusions songs, I especially remember this quote from Axl (Dec. 2008):

"fan:
Axl.
What is Brains status? Can you bring back Breakdown or Dead Horse to the set? Thanks
Your music means more to me than I could ever express.

axl:
I think he's doing alright. Maybe I should check. On the songs maybe, more interested in the newer now. And thank you, means a lot"

It doesn't sound like someone who has so much "interest" for playing these songs. He's basically saying he'd play songs like There Was A Time or Catcher In The Rye, rather than Breakdown or Dead Horse. A lot of fans would like to hear them, but that's just the way it is...

In the end, the band decides whatever they want to play, it's cool that fans request songs, but in 9 years they haven't played any of these songs live. I think it'd be interesting to know why Axl isn't a big fan of the Illusions songs though. I'm sure Estranged or Civil War would sound great with the new band. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 05:12:07 PM by Will » Logged

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »

Will, my point regarding Perfect Crime, Estranged and Civil War was [not so much the fans' "request" but] that it appears even Axl and band have considered playing them live because PCrime was on that setlist-pic and Axl talked about the other two, Estranged even twice (1st time see quote above):

Axl 12/2008: "I?d like to do Estranged at some point but there?s no plans."

and lets not forget Bumbles Estranged-solo teaser......and also that his dont cry-guitar version'06 somehow ended up in returning the song to the setlist here and there more later.

in general i agree that the lack of illusion songs is some weird (DC, NR and YCBM are even coming from AFD-era, LALD + KOHD being covers)!

Re-Union time, baby!!
GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »

It doesn't sound like someone who has so much "interest" for playing these songs. He's basically saying he'd play songs like There Was A Time or Catcher In The Rye, rather than Breakdown or Dead Horse.

They don't need to stop playing new songs in order to play an old one, once in a while ... there are so many jams in the set ... the show can lasts 2 or 3 hours .. I am sure that if they wanted to include an old song, they would find a good way to do it without harming the show and without changing the set of new songs.

In the end, the band decides whatever they want to play, it's cool that fans request songs, but in 9 years they haven't played any of these songs live.

They hadn't twitter at that time ...  hihi

I think it'd be interesting to know why Axl isn't a big fan of the Illusions songs though. I'm sure Estranged or Civil War would sound great with the new band. Smiley

I trust in the new band to play any GN'R song...

It would be great if this campaign resulted in, at least, one comment from Axl about this subject ... at least one: "Fuck You"  hihi

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »

I would love for this song to be played live by the new band. This song is really special to me, and it has got me through many bad times. Also bear in mind, this song will sound more cleaner if performed by the new band as there are 3 guitarists. I'm sure, just like many GN'R songs, there are more than just 2 guitar parts arranged. So the new band will sound amazing doing this live today as having 3 guitarists lets you duplicate the album sound more.

This song is special to all GN'R fans, and I'm hopefull that we will get to hear this beauty eventually.  drool
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »

I would love for this song to be played live by the new band. This song is really special to me, and it has got me through many bad times. Also bear in mind, this song will sound more cleaner if performed by the new band as there are 3 guitarists. I'm sure, just like many GN'R songs, there are more than just 2 guitar parts arranged. So the new band will sound amazing doing this live today as having 3 guitarists lets you duplicate the album sound more.

This song is special to all GN'R fans, and I'm hopefull that we will get to hear this beauty eventually.  drool

I'd agree that the song is special and should be played again, but I disagree that it would sound cleaner. Listening to this year's bootlegs/videos, I don't often get the feeling that the songs sound any cleaner than they have in the past........ that being said, I'd still like to hear them take a shot
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

Believe me, it would sound more fuller and cleaner, because of the fact you have 3 guitarists instead of 2.

This is true with all GN'R songs too.

You can't honestly say to me that Welcome to the jungle in 92/93 sounds just as rich and full as the new band played it, like for instance Rock AM Ring in 2006, Germany.
GUNNER
Rocker

son of a gun

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »

Besides that "3 guitars" question ... I have to say that Axl's voice is more mature in nowadays ... it would fit perfectly in this song ...  ok

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »

People who say things like "you shouldn't request songs, the band will play whatever they want", are missing the point.  It's an honor to a certain song and to the band when songs get requested.  It doesn't mean that people are "upset" with the setlist, it just means they really like that particular song.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with requesting a song, as the band can simply take it in, and then go on to play whatever it is they want.  

Me personally, I would like to hear the majority of the new songs at a concert.  Then, of the old stuff.....WTTJ, It's So Easy, Rocket Queen, Knocking On Heavens Door, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child, Paradise City, Don't Cry, Civil War, and definitely Estranged!!!

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: