Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2024, 01:25:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228505 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Doctor Alibi Streaming Now
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doctor Alibi Streaming Now  (Read 8727 times)
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 01:58:05 PM »

Dirty Little Thing and Rhiad, those where really just rip-offs.. Rhiad literally, while Dirty Little Thing's original was so similar not only riff wise but also in the song structure changes.

With Dr. Alibi those intro chords, for sure it sounds like Main Man, but at the same time it sounds like something else. Doesn't bother me really, if you write a simple 3 chord like punkrock track it's hard not to come close to the Ramones Wink

What bothers me more is to have a song like Chains And Shackles, to have literally the same verse riff as Nothing To Say. Don't get the point of that really, though it sounds good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:00:02 PM by IzzyDutch » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

fucking awesome song!  love the intro also and the riffs.  Brilliant rocker.

I actually enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. Never been a big Lemmy fan.
Surprised that so far no one's complained about the riff being a rip-off, though. People jumped on the fact that one line in 'Beautiful Dangerous' bore a slight resemblance to another song. But the riff in this one is exactly the same as 'Main Man' by The Ramones and everyone loves it.

Back from Cali and Rolling Stones "Slave" are apparently similar in some part too..  

Every single day its getting tougher to be original lol.  look at Dirty little Thing and Riad etc..
I've never heard that slave song, nor the song that DLT was similar too.. riad though, are you meaning the sampled intro before the guitars come in?

Having a similar riff, or even ripping off a riff, is nowhere near the same thing as the ambient noise issue with "Riad N' The Bedouins".  One thing is central to the song itself, while the other is completely incidental.

Ali

Ali, that was a direct sample, not even a cover......    Coming up with a simple riff that sounds like another simple riff is very common.

It may be common, but there is a distinct difference between having a riff that is identical to another and an ambient noise intro that is completely incidental to the song itself.  The former is the foundation on which the song itself is built, while the latter is irrelevant to the song itself.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this, but let's be honest and not conflate two things that are in reality dissimilar.

Ali
if one were to remove the nosie intro to riad, it would still be the same song, if the riff to this song would be changed it would be a different song all together, simple as that

THIS is exactly my point!! ok  Thank you, CheapJon.  That is the fundamental and completely and utterly crucial difference between the two situations.  yes

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

I actually enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. Never been a big Lemmy fan.
Surprised that so far no one's complained about the riff being a rip-off, though. People jumped on the fact that one line in 'Beautiful Dangerous' bore a slight resemblance to another song. But the riff in this one is exactly the same as 'Main Man' by The Ramones and everyone loves it.

Back from Cali and Rolling Stones "Slave" are apparently similar in some part too..  

Every single day its getting tougher to be original lol.  look at Dirty little Thing and Riad etc..
I've never heard that slave song, nor the song that DLT was similar too.. riad though, are you meaning the sampled intro before the guitars come in?

Having a similar riff, or even ripping off a riff, is nowhere near the same thing as the ambient noise issue with "Riad N' The Bedouins".  One thing is central to the song itself, while the other is completely incidental.

Ali

Ali, that was a direct sample, not even a cover......    Coming up with a simple riff that sounds like another simple riff is very common.

It may be common, but there is a distinct difference between having a riff that is identical to another and an ambient noise intro that is completely incidental to the song itself.  The former is the foundation on which the song itself is built, while the latter is irrelevant to the song itself.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this, but let's be honest and not conflate two things that are in reality dissimilar.

Ali
if one were to remove the nosie intro to riad, it would still be the same song, if the riff to this song would be changed it would be a different song all together, simple as that

I agree, but my point is that Slash used his brain and came up with that riff.  The intro to RNB was copy and pasted from somewhere else.  Slash was an accident, the use of it on RNB was intentional.  See the difference?  One happend by accident, where the other did not, but I agree, the riff is more imortant, just stating once was a blatant rip off and the other was not.  And after the  riff, the song is much different than the ramones' song anyway.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »

Hmm, I can see very clearly where this is going. 

It is likely that Slash's riff was accidentally similar.  It is also entirely possible that like the statement management released, the band mistakenly thought they had authorization to use the sample in question for Riad.  In that case, BOTH would be accidental, not intentional, outcomes.

At the end of the day, what CheapJon said is on the money, you can remove the Riad intro and have the same exact song, whereas you can't remove the riff from "Dr. Alibi" and have the same exact song.  That is indisputable.  And, that is why you can't compare the situations and say they are the same.

Ali
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Or you can say Rhiad literally had a piece copied and Dr. Alibi sounds alike.. it all depends on how you want it to see. Which in turn depends on which side of the camp one's on.

Wink
Ali
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:25 PM »

Or you can say Rhiad literally had a piece copied and Dr. Alibi sounds alike.. it all depends on how you want it to see. Which in turn depends on which side of the camp one's on.

Wink

I don't think it has anything to do with which side of the camp you're on.  There is no disputing that the guitar riff is essential to the song "Dr. Alibi", whereas Riad's ambient noise intro is completely inessential to the song itself. 

Whether or not you believe one or the other was deliberately and maliciously copied is the only thing that depends on how you feel about either side.  Personally, I believe neither was done in a deliberate and malicious and knowingly deceptive manner.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »

Wink

I don't think it has anything to do with which side of the camp you're on.  There is no disputing that the guitar riff is essential to the song "Dr. Alibi", whereas Riad's ambient noise intro is completely inessential to the song itself. 

Whether or not you believe one or the other was deliberately and maliciously copied is the only thing that depends on how you feel about either side.  Personally, I believe neither was done in a deliberate and malicious and knowingly deceptive manner.

Ali

Then what the fuck does it matter Ali?  We all agree the riff is very important.  You are stating the obvious.  The only point we made is that GNR copy  and pasted part of another song onto their song.  Slash accidentally came up with his.  Its not a big deal and I don't really car in either case.   ok
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »

Ali and CheapJon are right.

And this song is alright, nothing special.  Although I think it's slightly better than I expected.  I'm not a huge Lemmy fan either but dug the song for a bit.  I actually enjoyed the song the first half of the song or so, then it just got repetitive.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »

And this song is alright, nothing special.  Although I think it's slightly better than I expected.  I'm not a huge Lemmy fan either but dug the song for a bit.  I actually enjoyed the song the first half of the song or so, then it just got repetitive.

FALDOR, we ALL agree they are right.  There is no debate.  Its like saying the sky is blue, or the sun is hot.  I often write riffs that I think are awesome and later find out that the riff I created has already been created.  However, rarely do I desire to copy and paste part of one song onto my song........  Actually not rarely, but NEVER.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 07:21:13 PM »

FALDOR, we ALL agree they are right.  There is no debate.  Its like saying the sky is blue, or the sun is hot.  I often write riffs that I think are awesome and later find out that the riff I created has already been created.  However, rarely do I desire to copy and paste part of one song onto my song........  Actually not rarely, but NEVER.

In essence your saying GNR can't come up with their own stuff and slash can. That's the veiled comment you're trying to come across with which is moronic considering you don't know the thought process behind either side. Maybe GNR didn't know it was part of another song, and maybe slash knew exactly what the riff was. Who the fuck knows really and it's pointless to compare the 2 things.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »

That's the reason THEY are right and you are not.  You're blaming GNR for "stealing" ambient noise without consent, as if you know all the details.  That's like me saying Slash intentionally played a similar riff.  I don't know that to be the case, so what right would I have to say that?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

Wink

Ali

Then what the fuck does it matter Ali?  We all agree the riff is very important.  You are stating the obvious.  The only point we made is that GNR copy  and pasted part of another song onto their song.  Slash accidentally came up with his.  Its not a big deal and I don't really car in either case.   ok

What does it matter?  The original comment lumped in the issue with intro of "Riad" being sampled with the similarity in riffs for "Dirty Little Thing" and "Dr. Alibi".  My original point was that they are not comparable situations, that's all.  Apparently, it isn't that obvious if people are lumping the two situations together.  And, yes, I agree with Faldor, that whether you intend it or not, your comments to me sound like you are insinuating that GN'R deliberately with malicious and knowingly deceptive intent used the sample.  That simply may not be the case at all.

Ali
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:48:06 PM by Ali » Logged
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »

Roll Eyes I didn't know that half of the board was involved in BOTH the creative process of Guns songs and Slash's songs I need the hook up to know what goes on behind the scenes because I guess everyone else knows exactly what happens  rofl
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »

Alright fellas, this line of conversation has obviously ran its course.

The threads about Doctor Alibi, the rest is static.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »

The song rocks.   Cool
StoneTempleRoses
Rocker

Axl Was Here

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »

I concur the song does rock pretty hard  ok

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 04:41:38 AM »

Lyrics:

I went to see the doctor.
He said, You're pretty sick,
You've got some real bad habits,
You better stop right quick.

I said, Doctor, that's real bad news,
Don't know what I'm gonna do!

Doctor,
There's nothing wrong with me!
Doctor, Doctor,
Can't you see?

Doctor,
I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi!

I went to see a Shaman,
He said, You'll be al right,
Just keep doin' what you love,
Every single night!

I said that's what I need to hear,
<?> away my childish fears.

Doctor,
You're a stand up guy!
Doctor, Doctor,
My, Oh My!

Doctor,
You're the one for me,
That's the mojo that I need!

Don't you know I feel al right?
Doin' what I do?
I ain't gonna tow the line,
Not till I turn blue.

All I got is one short life,
That's what people say...
... And I ain't gonna waste a second,
Doin' what you say!

I won't be the one you like,
I won't be the boy next door,
I won't be the chosen one,
That's not what I'm here for.

I don't like the way you are,
I despise what you hold dear,
Don't you try to make me change,
I'll haunt you ... for a thousand years!

Doctor,
Don't you talk that way,
Doctor,
Don't you mess my day.

Doctor,
Stay away from me,
Sick is what I'd rather be!

Doctor, Doctor,
Doctor Death.
Doctor, Doctor,
Out of breath.

Doctor,
I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:55:55 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 05:52:12 AM »

I didn't mean my original post as an attack on Slash or the song. As I said, I think it's a good song.
I meant it as an attack on the people who jumped on the slight similarity in one line of one song to another, but then talked about how fantastic this track was, even though the riff is completely identical to another one.

It's kind of like online satire. The geekiest satire ever. peace
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »

The resemblance wasn't slight by any means. The hook was the same.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: