Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Did you notice...there are no "where is slash"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you notice...there are no "where is slash"  (Read 17992 times)
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »

I know which one I'd rather see at a Guns N' Roses show.   

Watching a live performance has nothing to do with creating anything.    The sooner you accept that some people will be of the opinion that they prefer others to your lil hero, will put you one step closer to accepting the reality that its no longer 1991.

A guy can be up there completely butchering the song and you would still love it as long as it was not Slash, we all know this, we get it!  "Fans" like you are the only thing I hate about being a Guns N Roses fan.  You have turned GNR into a soap opera, like Team Angelina Vs. Team Jen...its ridiculous.  ALL Guns kicks ass.  Period.

You telling JacDaniel to accept other peoples opinions is hilarious.  You should make a deal, when you accept the fact that 95% of fans who are NOT on a GNR message board think Slash is always going to be the best guitarist for GNR, then JacDaniel should accept that there is a small minority of  GNR fans who think Slash sucks, and by small minority I mean you and like 3 or 4 other people on this board.  I'm not a reunion guy, I think GNR is fine the way it is, but the whole ripping on the past thing, never made sense to me.

But if we are going to bitch and moan and critique guitar players, DJ Ashba blows that guy from NIN off the stage.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:20:19 PM by Bodhi » Logged
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »

You telling JacDaniel to accept other peoples opinions is hilarious.  You should make a deal, when you accept the fact that 95% of fans who are NOT on a GNR message board think Slash is always going to be the best guitarist for GNR, then JacDaniel should accept that there is a small minority of  GNR fans who think Slash sucks, and by small minority I mean you and like 3 or 4 other people on this board.  I'm not a reunion guy, I think GNR is fine the way it is, but the whole ripping on the past thing, never made sense to me.

hehe.  it just doesn't make sense to me how some people can prefer DJ over Slash.  Is it based on seeing DJ perform at a few live shows?
Most people hardly knew anything about DJ when he joined, and after a few live shows, he is better than Slash?
I can understand people preferring Robin and Buckethead to some extent cos they at least played on a GNR album as well as some touring, even if its not my opinion. 

Its like saying that Gilby Clarke is better than Izzy cos Gilby played most shows on the UYI tour, even though we all know Izzy was far more important in GNR history than Gilby.

Im not bashing DJ either, he seems like a talented player.  But, please PM me or update this thread when he largely contributes to a couple of classic albums. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:43:36 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 06:19:08 AM »

Watching a live performance has nothing to do with creating anything.    The sooner you accept that some people will be of the opinion that they prefer others to your lil hero, will put you one step closer to accepting the reality that its no longer 1991.

A guy can be up there completely butchering the song and you would still love it as long as it was not Slash, we all know this, we get it!  "Fans" like you are the only thing I hate about being a Guns N Roses fan.  You have turned GNR into a soap opera, like Team Angelina Vs. Team Jen...its ridiculous.  ALL Guns kicks ass.  Period.

But if we are going to bitch and moan and critique guitar players, DJ Ashba blows that guy from NIN off the stage.

i do accept that some people like that guy over DJ.   

i made the comment i made because he said he can't understand anyone prefering DJ to his lil hero.   I can understand people having their own opinions, he has his, you have yours, i have mine.   

hate me all you want, I'm jus not interested in that guy.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »

i do accept that some people like that guy over DJ.   

i made the comment i made because he said he can't understand anyone prefering DJ to his lil hero.   I can understand people having their own opinions, he has his, you have yours, i have mine.   

hate me all you want, I'm jus not interested in that guy.

I understand people enjoying Ashba over Slash but it really makes no sense....No one knew him when he was in BC , and their music was cheap rock n roll , no amazing guitar work/solos at all. Dime a dozen IMO. I guess being a Guitarist also makes me uber-critical of every guitarist in any band. Bumble < All lmao , it's the truth he's like Buckethead with out the fucked up weird shit.

It's perfectly understandable not to be interested in "that guy" but you the fact that you refer to him as "that guy" or "lil hero" is a little absurd, it's not like you have any personal relationship with Guns or any of their current/ex members...
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »

I understand people enjoying Ashba over Slash but it really makes no sense....No one knew him when he was in BC , and their music was cheap rock n roll , no amazing guitar work/solos at all.

i agree with this.  its not that i mind people liking DJ over Slash.   But it just seems like some people formed that opinion based on DJ playing a couple of live shows.  If thats the case, im sure any session musician could join GNR on tour and be better than Slash. (in some peoples minds).

Slash hugely contributed to GNRs success and to half the songs in the current set. (if not more).  He can play/create cool riffs, solos and songs and is always interesting to watch on stage.

Credit to DJ, he looks cool onstage and can definitly play the songs.  But he has a lot to prove IMHO before been mentioned in the same breath as that other guy.

If people prefer DJ, please let me know why and ill gladily your decision.  (as long as its not ridiculous)

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »

I think in the end it just comes down to personal taste.  Shocked

Do I prefer Robin over Slash?, for my own reasons, yes I do. I have nothing against Slash, he made some of the best music I have ever heard. I'm not a fan of Slash post GN'R, but thats my personal choice and I can obviously respect those who are.

Lee
Ashba Rocks
Headliner

All things are possible, I am unstopable

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »

I dont see how anyone can compare DJ and Slash, just look at the facts.

its obviously comes down to personal taste.

And as for the DJ hasnt done anything, yeah i havnt heard anything apart from "the heroin diaries" soundtrack he did with nikki sixx, and i thought that fuckin rocked, i think there is alot of potential for him to make a mark with GNR if he does original music with them down the line. and DJ totally has the image!

DJ, for me pisses over any replacement guitar player as far as "fitting GNR"

"No one can make you, do what they want to"
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:53 PM »

its all about personal taste. 

Robin Finck is my favorite guitarist ever.   Just my taste.   

I prefer the guys in the band now..
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »

Well, we'll all just have to agree to disagree, since everyone has their own preferences.

For me, this is the best GN'R configuration since the original line-up. DJ fits in perfectly with the new band / GN'R's RN'R image and I can't wait to hear his and Ron contributions to the next album.

I feel Buckethead is better than both. However, his style and persona are probably not well suited to GN'R. A lot of GN'R fans think he's just plain weird. I hope he does some 'guest' contributions to the next album, although that's very unlikely.

Fuck 'Em All.
Ashba Rocks
Headliner

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »

Well, we'll all just have to agree to disagree, since everyone has their own preferences.

For me, this is the best GN'R configuration since the original line-up. DJ fits in perfectly with the new band / GN'R's RN'R image and I can't wait to hear his and Ron contributions to the next album.

I feel Buckethead is better than both. However, his style and persona are probably not well suited to GN'R. A lot of GN'R fans think he's just plain weird. I hope he does some 'guest' contributions to the next album, although that's very unlikely.

If this was FB i would click 'like'

BH is an incredible guitarist and i loved his little shreds he didn, like in rio in WTTJ he did, but i dunno, just doesnt fit FOR ME personally.

Its like this, say, axl is the one who left GNR.... and i dunno, kid rock replaced him, i think kid is awsome, alotta people dont like him, but i think he is great, but not fit to replace axl

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »

nobody asks ''where is Slash'' since the 2006 version of Robin Finck. And Slash did everything he could with his solo career (forgettable albums, terrible guest appearences, pathetic performances like the last one at the Grammys, etc) to make that question forgotten / senseless.

If you ever seen GNR live in 2006-2007-2009-2010, you just CANT ask for Slash. The display of power and talent of the 3 current GNR guitarists is just enormous.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ashba Rocks
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »

nobody asks ''where is Slash'' since the 2006 version of Robin Finck. And Slash did everything he could with his solo career (forgettable albums, terrible guest appearences, pathetic performances like the last one at the Grammys, etc) to make that question forgotten / senseless.

If you ever seen GNR live in 2006-2007-2009-2010, you just CANT ask for Slash. The display of power and talent of the 3 current GNR guitarists is just enormous.

You CAN ask for slash, as much as i love DJ, every day of the week i would choose izzy and slash over the 3 in GNR now.

again, it comes down to personal taste

Reckless Rose
Headliner

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 06:49:25 AM »

For me Dj Ashaba is much much better than Slash, and i like him more

Really? You no fan of the old Guns music then?

DJ's presence is awesome. However, none of the Guns material they're playing was written by him, so no matter how good he can play all the songs, the question who is better becomes irrelevant (as long as his performance is up to normal standards). Unless, of course, you think his work on 'the Heroin Diaries' can be measured on the same scale as Slash's Estranged or Buckethead's TWAT.

Personally, I think the 'where is Slash' has at least as much to do with geography and Chinese Democracy as with the bands current performance. Fans in Europe and the US are much more prone to complain about about Slash's absence. I have always seen Asia and South-America as continents where Guns N' Roses with Axl is more than good enough, but that might be a prejudice.

We also have Chinese Democracy. Guns is no longer a band on tour that is solely fuelled by its legacy. We know they had to play their old music, because there wasn't enough (finished) material to go on, but I understand some people's disappointment. Another tour without an album was not an option, I think Axl realized that more than anyone. They might have been great in 2006-7, but the omnipresence of Appetite in the set list didn't feel right besides for those blinded by faith. These days, most people at least know there is an album. They know too that it is a different album, not anything on there is what you would expect if Appetite was in your cd player.

To say that Slash only did regrettable albums and pathetic performances is below the belt. He performed with many artists. The man is doing what he likes to do, and why shouldn't he? His last tour with Velvet Revolver actually came a little closer to the energy they brought along in their early days. Besides that, Ain't Life Grand is a splendid blend of blues and hard rock. I dare say most will be impressed with his life performances this summer. Most were halfway in the 90's with his solo projects anyway. His new solo work sounds good too. I don't particularly like the songs with Alice Cooper (too Motley Crue-ish), Kid Rock and several others, but those with Fergie, Kennedy, Stockdale, Cornell and the Maroon5 guy are fantastic.

I'll line-up next to JackDaniel: Notify me when DJ pulls off something that comes even close to what Slash has done (or, in JD's case, when he has written a classic). I wonder how many people - now rating him above the top hat legend- even knew Ashba before he joined the band.

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »

I think people are getting carried away with the phrase "who's better".

I think it's 2 different things thinking somebody is better because of music they have wrote, or thinking they are better because you like watching them live. For example if somebody said to me, "you can't like Robin playing Jungle better than Slash, because Slash wrote it". To me that is ridiculous, I do prefer Robin playing appetite more than Slash, because I like his style better and also I believe in this present day, Robin can play the songs better than Slash anyway.

It's like Axl singing 'I am sailing' at Wembley in 2006, I prefer Axl's version much better than Rod Stewarts, even though he wrote it.

Again, it's all about personal taste, you cannot say, someone is not aloud to like Ashba / Robin better than Slash just because you feel he has created more music. Some people just hate the fact that some people truely like other guitarists in GN'R over Slash.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:45:42 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:05 AM »

To me, writing is  VERY important in a band, and it seems to get overlooked by lots of people.  If a band had no good material, nobody would want to see them on tour in the fist place.  Their albums wouldn't be popular etc etc etc....

When i go to a show, i want to see the players that created the music playing it live.  Slash used to be like a man possesed when he played the AFD songs years ago.  He used to run all over the stage.  he cant anymore cos he is older and has a pacemaker. Running around wasnt Izzy's style.  But i never would of wanted a "Touring guitarist" just to look cooler or more exciting.  i go to shows to see the band!

Id hate to think of the future of rock music if a band made a great album, then got a bunch of talented, younger, more attractive and energetic musicians to tour it.  its almost like the pop industry were outside writers come in and write all the material for someone else to take credit for.

So IMHO, a musician needs to be judged on overall performance in a number of categories.

wadey
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »

i prefer Slash, just like i also prefer Duff, Izzy and Steven  ok
yes i also like the updated Guns and they are all very good musicians, but when you've had GnR in your blood for 20yrs then your bound to have more feelings for the guys that started it all off.

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

when i say that DJ ashba is way better than Slash,im talking about RIGHT NOW,the present.Slash is no more Slash,and i think if he were in GNR trying to make an old GNR record,he would fail (THATS MY OPINION).BTW i respect and love the OLD SLASH,and remember him like the rock star he was.Now is just a hat with hair,its like a NIKE LOGO.But musically.........no more a rock star.
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:23 AM »

Whahah "just a hat with hair", nice one Smiley

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:55 AM »

when i say that DJ ashba is way better than Slash,im talking about RIGHT NOW,the present.Slash is no more Slash,and i think if he were in GNR trying to make an old GNR record,he would fail (THATS MY OPINION).BTW i respect and love the OLD SLASH,and remember him like the rock star he was.Now is just a hat with hair,its like a NIKE LOGO.But musically.........no more a rock star.

So DJ playing a few live shows makes him a "Rock Star"?
But Slash recording an album with real rock legends makes him a hat with hair? 

svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »

I think he meant slash' work with slash' snakepit/velvet revolver makes him a hat with hair. And I kinda agree with him. Not al the way though, it wasn't that bad. And his solo album actually not that bad at all.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: