Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 02:12:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Did you notice...there are no "where is slash"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you notice...there are no "where is slash"  (Read 18001 times)
Nikki_Sixx
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »

Why can't we like both line-ups ?

[Axl] Arnhem '01 (cancelled) - Pukkelpop '02 - Graspop '06 - Nijmegen '06 (+ Izzy) - Paris '10 - Antwerp '10 - Lille '10 - Rotterdam '12 - Paris '12 - Graspop '12 [Axl/Dc] Werchter '16
Deadlogic
Opening Act

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 05:44:37 PM »

Those who are saying Ashba is "better" than Slash, better how exactly?

Technically?  Well, there have always been Guitarists out there who were technically better (and "faster" - argh I hate that measure of a player...) than Slash, and there still is - I'm sure, just as there were faster/more technical players than Berry/Page/Hendrix/Clapton/Harrison etc over the years, but these players tapped into something else entirely with their use of the Guitar, and how it made people feel

Songwriter-wise?  Hmm, well - I haven't heard anything yet from Ashba in his other projects/bands that stand up to, or would stand the test of time in the way some of Slash's work has/will.  Who knows what he might contribute for the next Guns album though, so I'm not writing him off just yet in that respect.

That leaves us with influence.  One of the greatest measures of any Guitarist, popular or otherwise is his influence on those who listen to them, and in that particular area, Slash "wins" hands down - and it's an area that I feel Ashba will never be considered in the same league.

Slash is an Icon, much in the same way as the Guitarists I mentioned earlier in the post - and while I think Ashba is a very, very good player, he is at this moment in time playing parts that have already been created for him (very well I might add) much in the same way as any other top session player could/would.  The real test will be when he has to create for himself.  He seems a very likeable guy too, and I have nothing at all against him, but he'll never "replace" the top hatted one in my affections.

Good luck to him though, and I do hope he becomes a permanent member of the band, because I think we'll all agree - to lose yet another Guitarist would be beyond comical.
Lady Ashba
Rocker

Nice boys... & girls!

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

I agree with you, loosing another guitar player would be a disgrace. So far he's doing a great job on stage, the time will come when he can prove himself writing music for a future album. But of course, I think we all know here Slash is an icon, no argument there.
kukol1978
Rocker

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 09:16:38 PM »

of course you can! and i do! different lineups diferent behaviours and differents shows.During 90s where more explosive but i think now they are more musicians! love both.

And btw when i first saw an Ashba pic i thought "came on.....an emo for gnr?" and look now the guy has the feeling of the old guns with a perfect touch of new.Just perfect
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 09:12:05 AM »

are you insane!?

Choose. Choose now.

Wink

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 10:15:38 AM »

Always going to appreciate Slash for all his efforts regarding GNR, and will add that I think he is one of the greats of our time.  I am not so much a fan of the choices/projects he is currently working on or have involved himself with post GNR.  I appreciate the fact that he is still putting stuff out there for his fans and has not laid down and died.  As a musician he is entitled to test his boundaries and talents in more ways than one, I think he has sort of stepped off of the beaten path that we all used to adore, and believe he is indeed a gentle soul at times, and other times a "lil devil" lol. 

Regarding DJ, I don't think a better person could have filled Slash's shoes if they tried.  He is the man for sure.  I am enjoying having him as the newest member of the band.  So far his talents seem endless, and he is so so nice as well, very fan orientated, another plus, and he to seems to be enjoying his new job to the fullest.  He just meshes so well.  Thank you DJ beer.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
alimari
Rocker

Hey you, yeah you, not you, you over there... hi!

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 12:12:20 PM »

Regarding DJ, I don't think a better person could have filled Slash's shoes if they tried. 

I agree with everything you said except this part.
I think DJ kicked Slash's shoes away and set to do his own stuff.  Smiley

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »

I agree with everything alimari said Wink
Even though I'm not sure about the "sometimes so gentle" part.. But then again I don't know slash at all Wink

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »

I agree with everything alimari said Wink
Even though I'm not sure about the "sometimes so gentle" part.. But then again I don't know slash at all Wink
I am regarding his nature away from R&R. He is soft spoken, and kind of a shy guy, not that I expect everyone to relate to my own assumptions, it is just the way I see into him, yet he also has the ability to say and do things that sometimes seem to display the betterment of himself.  Just my own thoughts and don't expect everyone to see them as I do Wink.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 03:41:22 PM »

I think he just does whatever thinks is best for himself (not his music). And of course there's nothing wrong with making some money/being famous/being liked, but it shouldn't be your primary goal. And I think Slash's main goal are those 3 things. I really believe the whole Slash & friends stuff is just a show off.

And exactly this is one of the things I appreciate with Axl. I mean he had Brian fuckin' May cut out of chinese democracy because of the record itself..

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a slash hater. But I'm defnitely not a slash lover either. Not as a person (as far as I 'know' him) or his music (recent - his stuff with guns was great).

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:07 PM »

If I think back there wasn't much of "where's Slash" in the shows I went to in 2006 as well as Toronto this year. the only place you may find the odd idiot who says them things is at festivals, where there are alot more casual fans. I think people have excepted for the most part that Slash and GN'R are two different entities as of today. But like anywhere you will get the odd idiot, just like these clothing sites where you find Slash merchandise in the GN'R section.  Roll Eyes

Lee
svdv22
VIP

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »

If I think back there wasn't much of "where's Slash" in the shows I went to in 2006 as well as Toronto this year. the only place you may find the odd idiot who says them things is at festivals, where there are alot more casual fans. I think people have excepted for the most part that Slash and GN'R are two different entities as of today. But like anywhere you will get the odd idiot, just like these clothing sites where you find Slash merchandise in the GN'R section.  Roll Eyes

Lee

Next to me there where 2 people who asked each other which guitar player slash was. I first kinda ignored them. I figured this must be how it feels like to tell your children santa doesn't exist Wink But after a while I told them anyway. They we're cool with it though, they "liked the guy with the hat just as much - and the other dude, who's trying to break his guitar.. he kicks ass" Wink

ps: that was in Toronto
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:01:50 AM by svdv22 » Logged

alimari
Rocker

Hey you, yeah you, not you, you over there... hi!

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 09:40:59 AM »

I forgot to say that I love and respect Slash. The same with Izzy  love and Gilby.
But with BBF,4Tus n' Ashba, I can't think of anyone else for GN'R guitars.

Next to me there where 2 people who asked each other which guitar player slash was. I first kinda ignored them. I figured this must be how it feels like to tell your children santa doesn't exist Wink

Poor kids!!

But like anywhere you will get the odd idiot, just like these clothing sites where you find Slash merchandise in the GN'R section.  Roll Eyes

Lee

I think this is so disrespectful to him. Slash deserves to be recognized/known as himself. At least as part of band he actually is...

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »

the lineup of guitarists is about as perfect as it can get.   

and besides, most of the slash douchebags have given up on GnR.  theres only a few still trolling the forums.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2010, 11:53:12 AM »

I think people have excepted for the most part that Slash and GN'R are two different entities as of today. But like anywhere you will get the odd idiot, just like these clothing sites where you find Slash merchandise in the GN'R section.  Roll Eyes

Lee

aside from people like us who are on the boards and follow every detail of the band, Slash will always be considered Guns N Roses guitar player. Always.  He is on their most popular albums, albums that people grew up on and defined a generation and albums that changed the face of the music industry.  You will always see Slash merchandise in the Guns N Roses section, because most "average rock fans"  associate one with the other especially the older ones.  Most fans dont waste time arguing about who is in the band and who isnt, they dont give a shit.  Thats what we do here on the boards, but that not the way the "real" world works.     I always find it amusing that some of you waste so much time and energy being concerned with what people think of Slash, or Slash vs the New guys...its ALL Guns N Roses.  The sooner you realize this the happier you will be.  The only thing that pisses me off on this board is when I hear people say Slash sucks or he is a shitty guitar player etc... complete fuckin nonsense.  Some of you feel the need to piss on GNR's legacy in order to show what a "fan" you are.  I am able to respect and love the past and STILL realize the greatness of the current band, imagine that. Shocked
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:27 PM »

I think people have excepted for the most part that Slash and GN'R are two different entities as of today. But like anywhere you will get the odd idiot, just like these clothing sites where you find Slash merchandise in the GN'R section.  Roll Eyes

Lee

aside from people like us who are on the boards and follow every detail of the band, Slash will always be considered Guns N Roses guitar player. Always.  He is on their most popular albums, albums that people grew up on and defined a generation and albums that changed the face of the music industry.  You will always see Slash merchandise in the Guns N Roses section, because most "average rock fans"  associate one with the other especially the older ones.  Most fans dont waste time arguing about who is in the band and who isnt, they dont give a shit.  Thats what we do here on the boards, but that not the way the "real" world works.     I always find it amusing that some of you waste so much time and energy being concerned with what people think of Slash, or Slash vs the New guys...its ALL Guns N Roses.  The sooner you realize this the happier you will be.  The only thing that pisses me off on this board is when I hear people say Slash sucks or he is a shitty guitar player etc... complete fuckin nonsense.  Some of you feel the need to piss on GNR's legacy in order to show what a "fan" you are.  I am able to respect and love the past and STILL realize the greatness of the current band, imagine that. Shocked

Shocked This is impossible! beer Guns is Guns and Guns kicks ass.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:51 AM »

How can people argue that DJ is better than Slash? 

Cos he can play some other people's solo's on a stage? 

Lets hear what he can actually create before saying he is better. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 06:00:05 AM »

I know which one I'd rather see at a Guns N' Roses show.   

Watching a live performance has nothing to do with creating anything.    The sooner you accept that some people will be of the opinion that they prefer others to your lil hero, will put you one step closer to accepting the reality that its no longer 1991.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 06:31:54 AM »

Watching a live performance has nothing to do with creating anything.

maybe im in the minority these days. But i actually like seeing the people that created the music playing it live. 
And i judge musicians on what they bring to the band, not how they appear onstage.
hence ill wait  to see what DJ contributes to the next GNR album or the next DJ solo album before i judge his talent.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »

I know which one I'd rather see at a Guns N' Roses show.   

Watching a live performance has nothing to do with creating anything.    The sooner you accept that some people will be of the opinion that they prefer others to your lil hero, will put you one step closer to accepting the reality that its no longer 1991.

Obviously everyone would like to see the current members of the band on stage. The sheer fact that you refer to Slash as "lil hero" and assume people are stuck in the past is a pathetic rhetoric.

A ) Ashba personally has NEVER created anything on the level that AFD/UYI guitar work was. ( Yes I know now we get to hear the bullshit that is "well your lil hero $la$h didn't even want to play NR or Estranged blah blah blah ) point is we are dealing with a guitarist who crafted the entire Appetite album , and pieced together Estranged and November Rain solos....Ashba is a very generic rock guitarist with some shred aspects...nothing amazing.

B ) DJ is a dime-a-dozen, no offense to him. But he is the weakest link as far as guitarist in the band go ( to be fair he's up a MASSIVE amount of talent ), I'm not saying he's the worst thing to walk the earth but that's the truth.

Just because someone is in the band does not mean I must somehow automatically think they are better than "X" former member. Drumming wise they have totally improved. I don't know why you can't understand the fact that some people prefer Slash to Ashba, doesn't mean we are stuck in the past or he is some sort of quasi-lil hero bullshit that you speak. I'm sorry but Ashba is childs play compared to Slash.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: