Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 06:54:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2010 Season
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010 Season  (Read 148193 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »

Thing is, that Balt def is gonna make alot of offenses look terrible. so the Jets do have an avg Offense, so a lot of that was the baltimore factor.

Good news for Jets, is they won't play a D that good rest of the year. Jets are built for the playoffs the same way the Colts are built for the regular season.

Jets get into the playoffs, and like those SB steeler teams ,will be tough to put out.
All that remains to be seen.  Granted Baltimore's defense is really good and they are a legit Super Bowl contender heading into this season.  But the Jets offense was suspect and played very poorly in the pre-season.  That continued into week 1.  Granted they don't have to have a GREAT offense, as their defense will make up for it for the most part.  But they do have to get something out of their offense.  They got nothing on Monday.  It'll be tough for them to do much worse, so there's only one way to go from here.  And New England does not have the defense the Ravens do, especially on the road so I would expect an improvement this week.

And the Colts beat the Jets in the playoffs last year, so I'm not so sure about your analogy there.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »

Meaning Colts every year are best team in regular season and always disappoint.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:17 AM »

Meaning Colts every year are best team in regular season and always disappoint.

I gotcha.  Not sure about the Jets being "built" for the playoffs though.  That remains to be seen.  Again, it's obviously way premature to judge the offense off of that poor showing this week but they let Thomas Jones go and he was a key part of that offense last year.  LT did well last night but Greene looked like a rookie last night.  Not a real good sign.

But again, Ravens have a really good defense and overall team.  As a Patriot fan I'm just relishing in the Jets loss for as long as I can and as much as I can.  And I'm hopeful that game 1 was a sign of things to come.  But deep down, I don't really believe that.  Not yet anyway.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »

I didn't quite understand all the Jets hype going into this season anyway. People act like they were 14-2 or something last year, when they were only 9-7, and had Indy and Cincy actually tried to win those last two games, they would've probably finished 7-9. Sure, the defense is amazing, the best in the league, but you gotta get points from somewhere. Sanchez wasn't impressive last year and judging by the pre-season and game one, has actually taken a step back instead of forward. And they got rid of Thomas Jones and Leon Washington. Who knows how good Shonn Greene will be, and I'm not sure how much LT has left in the tank.

Yet a lot of people are still picking them to go to the Superbowl. IMO, they're the third best team in the division behind the Pats and Fins.

I don't understand all the immediate backlash, though. It's just one game, and it was against one of the best teams in the AFC. The Colts, Chargers and Cowboys all lost game one also, and I still would bet money that all three make the playoffs and probably win their division.

Here Today . . .
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »

Thing is, that Balt def is gonna make alot of offenses look terrible. so the Jets do have an avg Offense, so a lot of that was the baltimore factor.

Good news for Jets, is they won't play a D that good rest of the year. Jets are built for the playoffs the same way the Colts are built for the regular season.

Jets get into the playoffs, and like those SB steeler teams ,will be tough to put out.

I hope you're right about that. Although losing Jenkins again is gonna hurt. We need Pace back hopefully he can get back after just 4 weeks instead of 5 or 6. Cromartie has to stop the dumb penalties. Our offense should improve too once we get holmes back in week 5. Hopefully we can win the next 3 without Pace or Holmes.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2010, 12:18:39 PM »

The problem with the Jets offense starts (and  maybe ends) with Sanchez.

Now, whether it's him checking down too quickly, or the sidelines telling him not to air it out, or if the kid just has no confidence in his ability to throw downfield, I don't know.....but no offense is going to be effective when the QB's longest completion is 13 yards (ONCE).  And it was NOT that the Baltimore corners were covering the receivers to the point of suffocation.  The Jets ran VERY few long plays, and even when the WR were open...Sanchez was passing them up for the TE, or a closer receiver.    When you don't stretch out the field, and you let the defense "cheat" to pack in around the line of scrimmage...you're going to have a hard time moving the football, and a harder time putting the ball in the end zone.

Again, I don't know if this was a "gameplan" thing, or if it's a repercussion of the coaching staff telling Sanchez not to fuck up, or if it's just Sanchez being afraid of putting up another multi-pick game.  But unless they figure out a way to keep the defenses honest, the Jets offense is going to be anemic this year.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »

I hope you're right about that. Although losing Jenkins again is gonna hurt. We need Pace back hopefully he can get back after just 4 weeks instead of 5 or 6. Cromartie has to stop the dumb penalties. Our offense should improve too once we get holmes back in week 5. Hopefully we can win the next 3 without Pace or Holmes.

Jets need to find someone to permanently fill Jenkins role.  He won't be back....not tearing the same ACL after reconstruction. His career is over.

And I don't think the media pundit speculation that they should go out and get Haynesworth makes any sense, either.  The guy doesn't want to play nosetackle for the Skins...I don't see him wanting to play that role for the Jets.

They made do without Jenkins last year, and they could probably muddle through this year.  But if they really think they have a legit shot at the Super Bowl this year, they gotta make some sort of move NOW.  Their defense is ABSOLUTELY their strength (no surprise to anyone), but losing a quality player at nose is a big blow to that side of the ball.  We'll see how they respond.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2010, 06:18:46 PM »

Another guy on that team to look out for is that rookie Woodhead. I just watched the last hard knocks. That kid can flat out play.
Not so fast.  Cut by the Jets and the Pats picked him up today.  Reminiscent of what the Jets did last season when the Pats cut Kevin O'Connell.

SI_PeterKing - That's amazing, the Patriots signing, activating
Danny Woodhead. That is a shot across Rex Ryan's bow--and he will give Belichick Jet dirt.
about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

I keep going back and forth on this game.  I don't know what to expect.  At first I initially thought the Jets would have to bounce back and win the game.  At the same time, as good as the Pats looked on Sunday they were at home and it was against the Bengals.  A) I don't think the Bengals are that great a team, and B) the Pats WERE undefeated at home last year but god awful on the road.  So with those things in mind, I was leaning towards the Jets.  But then I got to thinking that the Pats nearly beat the Jets at the Meadowlands in week 2 last year without Wes Welker.  Now they have him back, plus Brandon Tate, and 2 TE's that they didn't have last year.  They seem to have a better balanced offense all around.  And if you listen to the Patriots media, they all expect the Pats to win.

So I don't know where to stand.  I still have to see the Patriots perform well on the road though to have full confidence in them.

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »

Don''t worry Jets and Pats fans...Vikes win big this week over Miami.  You heard it hear first.

...and yeah, I agree, Sanchez is being managed so that he won't lose games as opposed to having him win games...at least that's what the synopses read like.
btw, just read Faldor's latest post...on the Pats-Jets game, I wouldn't bet against Brady.  No way.  The Jets will be 0-2.

I also have to chime in on the game I watched every snap of...Cowboys-'skins.  Great to see Donovan notch his first W.  To folks who didn't watch the game and just looked at the box score, it looked like a pedestrian effort from #5...but that wasn't the case.  Donovan had receivers dropping a lot of passes that were placed right in their breadboxes.  Plus,  
I wouldn't get too excited about Washington's D as Dallas' O-line is HORRENDOUS!  To have all that talent at the skill positions but no line to block for Romo is embarrassing.  Has Alex Barron ben released yet?  Has Alex Barron released Brian Orakpo from his hold yet??  Smiley

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »

What's the word on Percy Harvin?  And if he is good to go, will he bounce back?  It just didn't seem like he and Brett were on the same page last week.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

Another guy on that team to look out for is that rookie Woodhead. I just watched the last hard knocks. That kid can flat out play.
Not so fast.  Cut by the Jets and the Pats picked him up today.  Reminiscent of what the Jets did last season when the Pats cut Kevin O'Connell.

SI_PeterKing - That's amazing, the Patriots signing, activating
Danny Woodhead. That is a shot across Rex Ryan's bow--and he will give Belichick Jet dirt.
about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

I keep going back and forth on this game.  I don't know what to expect.  At first I initially thought the Jets would have to bounce back and win the game.  At the same time, as good as the Pats looked on Sunday they were at home and it was against the Bengals.  A) I don't think the Bengals are that great a team, and B) the Pats WERE undefeated at home last year but god awful on the road.  So with those things in mind, I was leaning towards the Jets.  But then I got to thinking that the Pats nearly beat the Jets at the Meadowlands in week 2 last year without Wes Welker.  Now they have him back, plus Brandon Tate, and 2 TE's that they didn't have last year.  They seem to have a better balanced offense all around.  And if you listen to the Patriots media, they all expect the Pats to win.

So I don't know where to stand.  I still have to see the Patriots perform well on the road though to have full confidence in them.

I didn't see that coming at all. I wonder why they cut him? He looked good in the pre season especially the last game.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »

well as been mentioned Favre last year got 2 easy games to get his timing and stuff back. this year opening with the Saints, training camp was a big deal.

if u notice my preseason picks. Jets weren't a playoff team. They only made it last year cause 2 teams laid down and i don't think they got much better in the offseason.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »

well as been mentioned Favre last year got 2 easy games to get his timing and stuff back. this year opening with the Saints, training camp was a big deal.

if u notice my preseason picks. Jets weren't a playoff team. They only made it last year cause 2 teams laid down and i don't think they got much better in the offseason.

Still think that D? They've dominated the Pats and without Revis for most of the game.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »

Still think that D? They've dominated the Pats and without Revis for most of the game.
They dominated the Pats in the second half yes.  I wouldn't get TOO excited though.  That was a much more needed win for the Jets than it was for the Pats.  You just can't lose your first two games of the year at home, to conference foes.  And the Patriots followed last years blueprint by playing well in the first half, but being completely overmatched in the second.  And there road woes continue as well.  Different year, same story.  So far at least.  It's early still, but today was a carbon copy of last year.  If the Jets can beat them at Gillette, then you may be onto something.  But until then.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:03 PM »

They dominated the Pats in the second half yes.  I wouldn't get TOO excited though.  That was a much more needed win for the Jets than it was for the Pats.  You just can't lose your first two games of the year at home, to conference foes.  And the Patriots followed last years blueprint by playing well in the first half, but being completely overmatched in the second.  And there road woes continue as well.  Different year, same story.  So far at least.  It's early still, but today was a carbon copy of last year.  If the Jets can beat them at Gillette, then you may be onto something.  But until then.

The odd thing is the Jets defense seemed to play better without Revis. Without him we had to play more man to man and it worked incredibly well. Perhaps they will stick with that formula even with Revis in there. Yes, we'll have to see about that. I look forward to the challenge of beating them at home. I'm not sure when that will be i'll have to look at the schedule. Sanchez looked very very good today. The jets coaching staff has to be very encouraged. It makes you wonder what would've happened if they hadn't been so conservative with him last week. Wow we're not at the pats until week 13. We'll have a great idea of how good both teams are by then.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:32:47 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2010, 08:33:33 AM »

It was the adjustments they made, not necessarily just the man to man.

Early, were rushing 4, dropping back the rest, and running only 1 LB.  You could tell they were trying to keep Brady honest...but he was picking apart their defense because he had too much time in the pocket.

They changed things up starting right around the middle of the 2nd quarter (and made a couple more adjustments at half time).   Suddenly, Brady wasn't getting the time to throw AND they had better slot/backfield coverage with the adjustments.

And Sanchez, for 3 quarters of the game, finally looked like an NFL QB, and not just some guy sent out there to "not screw up".

It was a good effort by the Jets.  The Pats looked LOST the entire 2nd half on offense.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »

Early, were rushing 4, dropping back the rest, and running only 1 LB.  You could tell they were trying to keep Brady honest...but he was picking apart their defense because he had too much time in the pocket.

They changed things up starting right around the middle of the 2nd quarter (and made a couple more adjustments at half time).   Suddenly, Brady wasn't getting the time to throw AND they had better slot/backfield coverage with the adjustments.

And Sanchez, for 3 quarters of the game, finally looked like an NFL QB, and not just some guy sent out there to "not screw up".

It was a good effort by the Jets.  The Pats looked LOST the entire 2nd half on offense.
They sure did.  Which isn't a good sign.  They did the exact same thing last year in nearly every game.  5 of their 6 losses last year came when they were winning or tied at the half.  For whatever reason they were just a terrible 2nd half team.  Same thing happened last year at the Jets.  They went into the break with a 9-3 lead and were shut out in the 2nd half, losing 16-9.  I don't get it.  They used to be quite good at making halftime adjustments, but now it's the other way around.  Even in week 1 against the Bengals, they let up in the 2nd half and let the Bengals make the game interesting.  They've been outscored 39-14 in the 2nd half this year, and one of their TD's was on a kickoff return.  That's just not gonna cut it.

Yesterday the Patriots were burned by some penalties, namely Darius Butler on some PI calls, just like the Jets were the week before.  I like the youth and speed they have in the secondary, but they need help up front and they're just not getting enough of it.  They have no legitimate pass rushers who the opposition has to worry about, so the guys in the secondary have a lot of pressure on them.  It just looks like it's going to be exactly the same story as last season.  Very good home team that struggles on the road.  And the problem this year is their home schedule is about as tough as it gets with games against Mia, NYJ, Indy, GB, Min, Bal.  You can't really expect them to go 8-0 again this season with that schedule.  The only real winnable road games they have are @Det., Buf., and Cle.  And they were 2-6 on the road last year, with one of those wins coming in London against the lowly Bucs. 

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »

Hopefully they can continue to do that in Revis' absence. It looks like he'll miss one to two games.

He really did. I was very impressed. Maybe he really is ready to take the next step. He looked confident made mostly good throws with a few exceptions and he protected the football. If he can continue to do what he did yesterday this team can be very good. It will keep opposing defenses honest and with our outstanding D we could win a lot of games.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »

They sure did.  Which isn't a good sign.  They did the exact same thing last year in nearly every game.  5 of their 6 losses last year came when they were winning or tied at the half.  For whatever reason they were just a terrible 2nd half team.  Same thing happened last year at the Jets.  They went into the break with a 9-3 lead and were shut out in the 2nd half, losing 16-9.  I don't get it.  They used to be quite good at making halftime adjustments, but now it's the other way around.  Even in week 1 against the Bengals, they let up in the 2nd half and let the Bengals make the game interesting.  They've been outscored 39-14 in the 2nd half this year, and one of their TD's was on a kickoff return.  That's just not gonna cut it.

Yesterday the Patriots were burned by some penalties, namely Darius Butler on some PI calls, just like the Jets were the week before.  I like the youth and speed they have in the secondary, but they need help up front and they're just not getting enough of it.  They have no legitimate pass rushers who the opposition has to worry about, so the guys in the secondary have a lot of pressure on them.  It just looks like it's going to be exactly the same story as last season.  Very good home team that struggles on the road.  And the problem this year is their home schedule is about as tough as it gets with games against Mia, NYJ, Indy, GB, Min, Bal.  You can't really expect them to go 8-0 again this season with that schedule.  The only real winnable road games they have are @Det., Buf., and Cle.  And they were 2-6 on the road last year, with one of those wins coming in London against the lowly Bucs. 

They better be able to figure that out or its gonna be a long season for the pats. I think Brady's postgame comments summed it up best. We sucked. We just sucked.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »

They better be able to figure that out or its gonna be a long season for the pats. I think Brady's postgame comments summed it up best. We sucked. We just sucked.
People react to the moment in the NFL.  After week one, the Jets sucked and the Patriots were great.  The Ravens were great and the Bengals sucked.  It was just one game.  This week those 4 teams changed roles.  The Jets have a very tough test next week @ Miami and the Patriots play the lowly Bills at home.  The Pats SHOULD win that one and go to 2-1, but then have to go to Miami for a Monday nighter the following week.  I'd expect them to lose that and head into their bye week at 2-2.  I really think it's going to be a battle all season long in the AFC East between those 3 teams.  And it's not certain that either wild card will come out of the division either, but at the very least I can't see all 3 making the playoffs.  So in essence, it's a BIG game next week.  If Miami wins, they go to 3-0 and will hold a 2 game lead over the Jets.  But if the Jets win, they will be tied for first and would have beaten their top 2 competitors in the division.  Again, it's still real early, but it's a pretty big game nonetheless.

I think the Patriots will be fine, at home.  Not so much on the road.  Same story as last year.  They'll probably finish somewhere around 10-6 again, though that could fluctuate a few games either way.  I think that might be good enough to take the division though, maybe 11-5, I don't see any team getting 12 wins.  All 3 teams have very tough schedules.

But the Patriots are not built to win on the road in the playoffs.  They just don't have the players on defense, and their offense CAN be slowed by good defenses, as evidenced in yesterdays game.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: