Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 02:40:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228478 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  NFL 2010 Season
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NFL 2010 Season  (Read 148053 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

Brandon Marshall to the Dolphins for 2nd round pick in 2010 and 2011.  Originally I thought the Jets would have him, but the Santonio Holmes deal was just too cheap and sweet to pass up on. 

The Dolphins are going to be a force this year -  Parcells sure didn't take long to make this team a contender again

I don't know man, I read something the other day that showed what Parcells has done in the last 10 years...not much success at all.

I do think Marshall for 2 2nd rounders is a fair deal, and one that should help both teams.  (great deal for Miami if Marshall doesn't act like a jack-ass again)
It seems to me that WR's aren't valued very highly by NFL teams.  3 high profile WR's were gotten via trades this year for what seems like below market value, Boldin, Holmes, and Marshall.  Years ago the Patriots got both Moss and Welker for very little. 

I don't know what that means exactly, just something I noticed.  Seems kind of strange when there have been plenty of free agent and draft busts at the position over the years.  Teams think they can just pluck a quality WR out of thin air.  Broncos may try to draft Dez Bryant now that they traded Marshall, which would shake up the draft since he wasn't slated nearly that high on most boards. 

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
gilee7
VIP

'09 & '14 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champion

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »

I think teams hugely overvalue draft picks anyway. You draft a guy and you have to pay him a shitload of money, and you don't even know if he'll pan out or not. He may be a bust and out of the league in a few years, be a career backup, or just a serviceable starter. Or he may turn into a superstar. You never know.

But teams seem so unwilling to ever part with draft picks, which doesn't make sense to me. Take Boldin, for example. Many teams could've traded a 1st round pick for him, which, imo, would've been worth it. He's a great WR. You KNOW he's great. He's proven it. But teams seem like they'd rather go with the unknown. And with most draft picks, it's usually two or three years before they really start to produce, whereas a guy like Boldin or Marshall will come in and produce immediately. The Ravens getting Boldin for a third-round pick was an absolute steal in my opinion.

I understand there was too much bad blood between Marshall and the Broncos, but the Broncos got rid of one of the better WRs in the NFL, and they'll probably draft Dez Bryant, whom may or may not work out. And even if he does turn out to be a pretty good player, it's unlikely he'll be better than Marshall.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:36:15 PM by gilee7 » Logged

Here Today . . .
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »

Draft picks are a little over-valued, but a team like Pittsburgh consistently thinks 3-4 years ahead and drafts accordingly. They landed Mike Wallace with a 3rd rounder last year, and now he's probably going to be running Holmes' routes. Other teams are ass-backwards in the draft and just take guys who will make the biggest splash or media stir now. So 10-15 years ago, draft picks were very different than what they are now. I agree that Boldin for a 3 and Holmes for a 5 doesn't really give you a lot of bang for your buck, but the way free agency is now, outside of a few core players, most guys are leaving the team in a few years anyway.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 07:29:42 PM »

Jason Taylor is now a Jet.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »

Perfect example of a player who just won't go away

Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »

Perfect example of a player who just won't go away

...might just be, Perfect example of a player who won't go away...in a good way.  Wink
Kinda like Favre.  He won't go away, but why should he?

I can't fucking wait for the draft!  The top-4 selections seem to be set...Bradford, Suh, G. McCoy, Okung...if I was the Chiefs, Berry would be my man at #5.

Where will Tebow be selected?  Dez Bryant?  Jimmy Clausen?  Toby Gerhart?

Eagles=Pouncey. 

Sleepers?  I like Mike Williams, wr out of Syracuse.  Eric Decker, wr, out of Minnesota.

What do you folks think?

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »

Torry "Big Game" Holt signed with the Pats today.  Awesome move,,,,,,,,,, if it was still 2005.  Hopefully he works out a little better than Joey Galloway did.  At the very least, he'll provide some much needed depth at the WR position.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »

Rothlisberger suspended for 6 games ouch.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »

Rothlisberger suspended for 6 games ouch.

That will get reduced the way Vick's did. They're just using this as a scare tactic so he'll shape up.

I'm not sure how I feel about suspensions from the league when a player wasn't even charged with a crime. That's starting to get into some really subjective territory. I could understand if the Steelers wanted to suspend him for some kind of violation of team rules. They do cut his checks after all. But just not sure about all this stuff coming from the league office. What do others think?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »

NFLare protecting their image so they don't come off as racist for always coming down hard on the black players.

Pacman Jones was never convicted either.

PacBen Rapelisberger needs a wakeup call.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »

NFLare protecting their image so they don't come off as racist for always coming down hard on the black players.

I absolutely love the latitude the NFL has to deal with assholes like "Not-so-Gentle Ben."
Who's defending Ben?  Who's jumping up and saying this isn't true and it's a misunderstanding, etc.  Nobody. 
From everything I've read, the investigation was botched.

I hope to God when the Commissioner steps up to the podium to announce the 8th pick in the draft tomorrow night, he'll announce there's been a trade.  I would love to see Ben traded to the Raiders!  Oh how sweet that would be.

btw, I still think Vick would be a great acquisition for the 49ers.  Perhaps a 4th rounder might make the Eagles bite.  I do believe Vick will be a headache for the Eagles this season if they keep him.  He's not ready to sit on his butt for an entire season when he knows time is ticking and he's getting older every day.

speaking of soap opera, how about the talk of T.O. being considered in Washington?  Apparently Donovan wants him there if possible.

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2010, 09:46:29 PM »

My Very Early Predictions:  4-21-2010  (I'll look back and wonder, "What was I thinking???"   hihi

NFC:
1-Saints
2-Cowboys
3-Vikings
4-49ers
5-Packers
6-Redskins

AFC:
1-Colts
2-Chargers
3-Jets
4-Ravens
5-Patriots
6-Bengals

5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »

I absolutely love the latitude the NFL has to deal with assholes like "Not-so-Gentle Ben."
Who's defending Ben?  Who's jumping up and saying this isn't true and it's a misunderstanding, etc.  Nobody. 
From everything I've read, the investigation was botched.

I agree with you on this. I believe the Steelers were pretty blunt with him and basically said that whatever Goodell wants to do, he needs to man up and accept it without a word and then get his ass in gear or he'd be gone.

Not sure what happens to this guy when he starts throwing down the Tequilla, but I've got a feeling he will shape up this time

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2010, 09:45:14 PM »

So far the draft has been really predictable....surprised though that the Browns or Niners didn't take Clausen....I'm still putting my money on that Tebow doesn't go first round.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »

So far the draft has been really predictable....surprised though that the Browns or Niners didn't take Clausen....I'm still putting my money on that Tebow doesn't go first round.

Mid 2nd seems logical now, but you never know......

Surprised the CB from Boise has slipped so far down
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »

Wow, Denver just took Tebow.....did NOT see that coming at all.  Weird, but I do like him...he has a great work ethic and seems like a decent person who plays with all he has.  Best of luck to him!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:13:26 PM by Bill 213 » Logged

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2010, 10:38:16 PM »

HOT DAMN Jet's got Kyle Wilson!!!  3 insane CB's now!

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »

u trade franchise QB and franchise WR and get Tim Tebow............. WTF

he won't even play for first few seasons.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »

HOT DAMN Jet's got Kyle Wilson!!!  3 insane CB's now!

They are clearly going for a super bowl run NOW. We were already very hard to run on now we're gonna be hard to throw on.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »

u trade franchise QB and franchise WR and get Tim Tebow............. WTF

he won't even play for first few seasons.
How did that franchise QB do in Chicago again?

And they drafted the top WR in the draft.  Not saying he's a replacement for Marshall, but they did attempt to fill his slot.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: