Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  CD/Apple transformation!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD/Apple transformation!  (Read 8571 times)
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

Oddly enough I currently have a Creative Zen... but I'm planning to buy a 160GB iPod on Friday! Will let you know if I hear any differences!

I had a creative Zen before. Believe me, you're gonna be amazed with the Ipod sound!

My Zen's a couple of years old, and the sound's been 'okay'. I'm really looking forward to getting my iPod now!

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

This is bogus.

How can a low quality mp3 sound better on APPLE EARBUDS, mind you, over a compact disc or a vinyl record?

No.  No way.  I don't know how and what format Halo69 was listening to music on before (walkie-talkie?  Ed Hardy designer earbuds?) but I refuse to believe this.

I'll try it though, just for a laugh.  I'll borrow my dad's 8GB Touch and put CD there.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 03:49:05 PM »

If you believe in it, it will! Cheesy

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 03:50:07 PM »

I see what you did there.
CoBrA2168
Headliner

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »

That's odd, because the iPod is considered one of the worst MP3 players, from a music playback standpoint.  Sony's digital walkman's are considered the best.

Scratch that - Zen, then iPods, then Sony.  Although different studies show different results, but iPod is definitely not top.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:09:03 PM by CoBrA2168 » Logged
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »

If it's got an apple on the side it's pure gold!!!

All I can say is that iPod is the best mp3-player in my opinion, and it has nothing to do with the image or the apple on the side.

But as others have said in this thread, the earphones and the file format make the biggest difference when you're using a decent mp3-player.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »

For any of you who have a regular mp3 player and love Chinese Democracy, i would advise you to buy an Apple Ipod Classic. Its totally worth the money.
I bought one yesterday, and it totally alters the way you listen to CD.

Its even better then the cd experience!

The experience of hearing an MP3 cant be better than hearing the real/uncompressed source. You may say the experience of hearing ChiDem in an iPod in mp3 format with good headphones is better than hearing the tangible Compact Disc in a regular/cheap audio system.

BUYING an iPod to hear lossy stuff is comprehensible. MP3 are light, you can store hundreds of them and they sound fine. But if you are really interested about QUALITY, you can never reccomend mp3 playback.

The best thing to do is:

- Good headphones
- Good mp3 player, like Sony Walkman (just one example)
- Light compression, or none compression at all (Sony Walkman can handle 1411 kbps 16bit stereo WAVE files [never tried 24bit though], and can also handle Windows Media Audio Lossless, wich offers a more than good compressio ratio without losing quality)
- Trying different equalizing.

In a conversation of ''quality'', you cant mention any lossy stuff. The real thing is 100. Standard mp3 is 10. When you are playing a 128 kbps MP3, you're actually playing a heavily mutilated version of the real source, which can be bought with a few dollars.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »

The experience of hearing an MP3 cant be better than hearing the real/uncompressed source.

But I don't think he said anything about mp3.. you can use apple lossless on iPod for example.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Hale
Headliner

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:27 PM »

I like listening on my PS3, it sounds way better than on my iPod (shuffle) even while using the same headphones.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 06:42:30 AM »

i dunno what happened but my ipod is not working. i was listening to music on the bus and sudently it stopped playing. The battery is at full and when you select a song to play, the song doesn't start and after a while it passes to the next song and the same thing happens.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Hale
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 07:25:41 AM »

i dunno what happened but my ipod is not working. i was listening to music on the bus and sudently it stopped playing. The battery is at full and when you select a song to play, the song doesn't start and after a while it passes to the next song and the same thing happens.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Try formatting/restoring it from iTunes.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 07:55:22 AM »

Looks like CD sounds better on my Sandisk, than your ipod right now hihi
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 07:59:06 AM »

I think the point is, that using the earbuds the sounds are going directly into your ear. Because of that, nothing is lost, and you can hear every little detail. It's not limited to iPod, or this album. Listen to any album through headphones or earbuds, and you'll hear the mix better.
And before you mention some frequencies not being in mp3's, those are frequencies that can't be heard by the human ear anyway. Wink
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 08:25:10 AM »

Esteban said it all. Plus, the EQ settings on iPods suck big time. Sony Walkman series has a far better range with low frequencies and can handle losless like charm.

You probably thought those anatomy-unfriendly earbuds sounding better for some if those reasons:

- your stereo speakers are fucked up
- your previous earbuds were fucked up
- your previous EQ settings were messed up
- you had low quality tracks.   

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:27 AM »

Esteban said it all. Plus, the EQ settings on iPods suck big time. Sony Walkman series has a far better range with low frequencies and can handle losless like charm.

You probably thought those anatomy-unfriendly earbuds sounding better for some if those reasons:

The Sony X Series Walkmans are amazing. They have an OLED screen on them.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »

the problem is solved, i reset it and didnt lose any of the songs, thank you.

And its a big lie... I have two top mp3 players from sony and neither of them comes close to the sound of the Apple ipod! and both cost almost the same!
One with 16gbs and another one with 4gbs.

They cost me 100 and something euros each one, they're shit comparing to the Apple one believe me!

The X series 16gbs one is the one i had before (and still have it) and believe me... it doesn't come close to Apple classic. With all due respect

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:47 AM »

And its a big lie... I have two top mp3 players from sony and neither of them comes close to the sound of the Apple ipod! and both cost almost the same!

They cost me 100 and something euros each one, they're shit comparing to the Apple one believe me!

The X series 16gbs one is the one i had before (and still have it) and believe me... it doesn't come close to Apple classic. With all due respect

- your stereo speakers are fucked up  - wrong!
- your previous earbuds were fucked up - wrong!
- your previous EQ settings were messed up - wrong!
- you had low quality tracks.  - Wrong!

i have the sony x series one with 16 gbs, it doesn't come close soundwise!

Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »

Im not here saying this just to brag about my new ipod and say that apple is better than everyone in the competition.

I used to hate Apple actually, always thought it was overpriced (and still think in some products) and always found the Ipods very uninteresting because u had to install itunes, which i hated it, and thats why i got my mp3s from Sony and Samsung and Creative, I also had  a sandisk btw!

I had the x series one from sony, 16gbs, and it doesn't come close to Apple's classic ipod, believe me!, the sound is much better!

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »

maybe the ipod earbuds happen to fit your earholes the best. have you tried them with other players?

btw good that your ipod is working again.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »

- your stereo speakers are fucked up  - wrong!
- your previous earbuds were fucked up - wrong!
- your previous EQ settings were messed up - wrong!
- you had low quality tracks.  - Wrong!

i have the sony x series one with 16 gbs, it doesn't come close soundwise!
You mean this one?

I work with technology, I test several gadgets for a website (and I previously worked for two magazines about tech, PC Magazine and Stuff). I also happen to be very interested in audio gear and quality. So well, it's not a "big lie" when several sources (not including me, but all the reviews you can read) says iPod isn't the best sound experience you could find.

I strongly sugest you to try the earbuds on different players. Or the different earbuds with the iPod.

Just a question: how are the EQ settings you use in both devices (the Sony Walkman and the iPod)?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: