Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'SLASH' The Album - Reviews
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'SLASH' The Album - Reviews  (Read 56870 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »

I like Saint very much as well

I wish the Adam Levine song never made the cut though - hard to listen to, actually
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:37 PM »

Another review:

Oh yeah, this is why Slash is a guitar legend

METRO CANADA

April 08, 2010

Slash
Album: Slash
Label: Universal
Rating: ***1/2

I?ll just come right out and say it: this is the best album Slash has been involved with since leaving Guns N? Roses. It?s not a brilliant piece of work, but it?s a good reminder of why Slash is one of the best guitarists on the planet. He whips off solos left and right ? all of which are air guitar worthy ? while the songs themselves are, for the most part, gritty, riff-heavy 90s rockers. He was wise to employ friends like Ozzy, Ian Astbury and Lemmy to sing on these tracks, though he should have held back his invite to Maroon 5?s Adam Levine.

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/world/article/497227--oh-yeah-this-is-why-slash-is-a-guitar-legend

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Axlfanatic
Rocker

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »

Well, everyone at least likes a few of the songs....

ya, that's it exactly- a few great songs. The rest I skip & will prolly never listen to again.

Not surprising based on your user name.   

Now, you know I have no problem at all. But I've always found attacking someone's opinion based on the fact that they have 'Axl' in their username to be one of the most annoying things that's ever happened on other forums. "Of course you don't like {Insert thing Slash has done here}, you have Axl in your name!", made me want to punch the screen because of the supreme idiocy of that logic.

Fair enough, dick move on my part.  I get the same for my avatar if i post anything slightly negative bout GNR so i know how it feels.
I apologize  beer

Apology accepted & thx for sticking up for me also. beer

Despite my screen name, I do usually love anything with Slash also- I saw VR 4 times & met Slash as well. So ya i agree shouldn't make any assumptions- But I do think less than half this Album Rocks & the other half is lightweight,
ballads. I'm fine with ballads, but i like Intense ones Like the ones on Chin. Dem. for example. ok
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »

I'll try this again -- but I'm running out of reviews.  hihi

Slash: "Slash" (album review)

Although he released albums with the band Slash's Snakepit, the former Guns N' Roses guitarist has never released a proper solo album, until now.  Enlisting a star-studded cast to provide vocals, he has dropped a record of 14 brand new tracks.

Not surprisingly the guitar work is exquisite.  Floating from hard rocking to bluesy to plaintive and everything in between, Slash provides yet another document of why he may in fact be the greatest guitar player alive today.

On the vocal side the album is more hit and miss.  Some of the pairings are inspired, some fall flat, others are downright painful to listen to.

It's no surprise which songs click the best.  The hard driving "Ghost", featuring former Cult frontman Ian Astbury and Gunner Izzy Straddlin, as well as "Doctor Alibi" grunted by Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister burst through your speakers and shake you by your lapels.

On paper collaborations with Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale ("By the Sword") and Ozzy Osbourne ("Crucify the Dead") look promising.  In both cases though they lack a spark to ignite them.  The same holds surprisingly true for "I Hold On", with Kid Rock on vocals.  Chris Cornell's go at "Promise" is just plain dull.  Iggy Pop's turn on "We're All Gonna Die" is also surprisingly uninspired.

Predictably "Beautiful Dangerous", featuring Fergie, is a disaster.  The music sounds like a Chinese Democracy outtake, while hearing the Black Eyed Pea try to sound hard is laughable.  Maroon 5's Adam Levine is wimpy and out of place on "Gotten".

Some performances are pleasant surprises though.  In particular Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy proves he can be soulful ("Starlight") and powerful ("Back from Cali").

From a strict perspective of guitar rock, Slash is an undeniable winner.  Toss some questionable vocal performances on top though, and this one is not for everyone.

http://www.snobsmusic.net/2010/04/slash-slash-album-review.html

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

I'll try this again -- but I'm running out of reviews.  hihi

Slash: "Slash" (album review)

Although he released albums with the band Slash's Snakepit, the former Guns N' Roses guitarist has never released a proper solo album, until now.  Enlisting a star-studded cast to provide vocals, he has dropped a record of 14 brand new tracks.

Not surprisingly the guitar work is exquisite.  Floating from hard rocking to bluesy to plaintive and everything in between, Slash provides yet another document of why he may in fact be the greatest guitar player alive today.

On the vocal side the album is more hit and miss.  Some of the pairings are inspired, some fall flat, others are downright painful to listen to.

It's no surprise which songs click the best.  The hard driving "Ghost", featuring former Cult frontman Ian Astbury and Gunner Izzy Straddlin, as well as "Doctor Alibi" grunted by Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister burst through your speakers and shake you by your lapels.

On paper collaborations with Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale ("By the Sword") and Ozzy Osbourne ("Crucify the Dead") look promising.  In both cases though they lack a spark to ignite them.  The same holds surprisingly true for "I Hold On", with Kid Rock on vocals.  Chris Cornell's go at "Promise" is just plain dull.  Iggy Pop's turn on "We're All Gonna Die" is also surprisingly uninspired.

Predictably "Beautiful Dangerous", featuring Fergie, is a disaster.  The music sounds like a Chinese Democracy outtake, while hearing the Black Eyed Pea try to sound hard is laughable.  Maroon 5's Adam Levine is wimpy and out of place on "Gotten".

Some performances are pleasant surprises though.  In particular Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy proves he can be soulful ("Starlight") and powerful ("Back from Cali").

From a strict perspective of guitar rock, Slash is an undeniable winner.  Toss some questionable vocal performances on top though, and this one is not for everyone.

http://www.snobsmusic.net/2010/04/slash-slash-album-review.html

Seems like most folks do enjoy his playing onthe album.
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2010, 06:51:17 PM »

anyone know how to get the english version of Sahara if you didn't pre order?

Yes, download it on limewire.  That's where I got all the bonus tracks.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »

Only Good Album

ok

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:27 PM »

I was listening to SLASH yesterday.  I am not a guitar player, just a guy who like to hear music so dont danm me!

The album didnt displeased me but it wasnt a love-at-first-listen experience neither. Its a good average album, lacks some ambition in my personal taste...

I would say that lyrics are the weakest aspect of the album. I think it would be interesting that one day Slash make an instrumental album.

While listening I got this thought that the songs didnt reach a proper climax, Im talking about that climax that gives way to a guitar solo to be outstanding, to be special and fill it with meaning and emotion...  Maybe as I said before this is in someway because of the lyrics.

I will listen the album a couple of times more to see how it grows or not in me.

Dont know if I made myself clear, sorry, couldnt find better words.

Well said my friend. Very well put. I agree.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »

I was listening to SLASH yesterday.  I am not a guitar player, just a guy who like to hear music so dont danm me!

The album didnt displeased me but it wasnt a love-at-first-listen experience neither. Its a good average album, lacks some ambition in my personal taste...

I would say that lyrics are the weakest aspect of the album. I think it would be interesting that one day Slash make an instrumental album.

While listening I got this thought that the songs didnt reach a proper climax, Im talking about that climax that gives way to a guitar solo to be outstanding, to be special and fill it with meaning and emotion...  Maybe as I said before this is in someway because of the lyrics.

I will listen the album a couple of times more to see how it grows or not in me.

Yeah I kind of have the same feeling.  I can't say I dislike ANY of the stuff Slash does on this album.  His playing sounds great throughout.  But where the songs fall flat are with the vocals.  And in many cases it's the chorus for me.  I like the verses in a lot of the songs but then the chorus falls flat.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:33 PM »

Yeah I kind of have the same feeling.  I can't say I dislike ANY of the stuff Slash does on this album.  His playing sounds great throughout.  But where the songs fall flat are with the vocals.  And in many cases it's the chorus for me.  I like the verses in a lot of the songs but then the chorus falls flat.

Idem x 3

I think something Instrumental,,, would be better

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2010, 07:18:31 AM »

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2010/04/08/slashs_1st_solo_cd_t.php

cool enough review here.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2010, 07:52:12 AM »

its out in Germany today! here is my first copy:

beer

Re-Union time, baby!!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »

number one in HMV CD sales Canada!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/143520336

Another blood bath lol...

Slash -- "Slash" (EMI): Let's be clear about something: It's never easy for a guitarist who doesn't sing to make a solo album that's not instrumental. And the deck was stacked even higher for ax legend Slash because he's not even the most prolific of songwriters; other members of acts like Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver penned most of the tunes. So the solo debut "Slash" had a lot going against it before Slash even went into the studio to record it.

The fact that the record is absolutely boring should not be a surprise, then.

"Slash" is a 14-song work that's both surprising and

----- 

rabia
Rocker

« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:51 PM »

'Slash'

Slash's brilliant guitar work takes a backseat to showy collaborations on his first solo album

Slash's first official solo album has the feel of a Facebook page.

The guitarist filled it with just about every well-connected "friend" he ever met or heard of, forging a virtual who's who of heavy metal and hard rock. Turning up to squawk and preen on the CD are everyone from Ozzy and Lemmy to Kid Rock and Iggy Pop.

If Slash sent any "friend requests" to the singers most famously associated with him - Axl Rose or Scott Weiland - they went unanswered. Neither big mouth turned up.

Theoretically, Slash could have settled on a sole fresh shouter to front this project. But he already did that on his woeful band Snakepit. Instead he went this more showy and needy route.

As you'd expect from a project with so many egos in play, it isn't big on coherence. Then again, what's a guy blessed with Slash's particular talents and limitations to do?

Like Johnny Marr after the demise of The Smiths, Slash has wandered through a kind of journeyman's exile ever since the end of his one, great band - the original Guns N Roses - back in 1996.

Though his other longest lasting group, Velvet Revolver, put out two studio albums and endured six years together, they always seemed like a jerrybuilt project - like some lucrative, but tedious, time-filler.

Instead of going through that headache again, Slash choose a project that would both allow him to retain control and to reap the p.r. benefits of all the starry names involved. Hey, it worked for Santana on "Supernatural."

It hasn't worked quite that way here.

Make no mistake: Slash's driving solos dazzle throughout.

And the album does include a few collaborations that click. Lemmy attacks the guitarist's riff in "Doctor Alibi" with his delightfully satiric level of savagery. Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale conjures a convincing, "I-Am-A-Golden-God" Robert Plant impersonation on the single, "By The Sword." And Chris Cornell's erotic snarl pairs so well with the star's chunky riffs in "Promise," it suggests he might have started a worthy group with Slash had he not already agreed to reform his classic band, Soundgarden, this summer.

Most of the other collaborations seem merely hypothetical - like daydreams from metal heads better left to the realm of fantasy. Some of them prove outright laughable, including Fergie performing in guitar drag for "Beautiful Dangerous" or the cameo by Adam Levine from Maroon 5, which reeks of wimp tokenism.

Ironically, the track that works best offers no guest vocalist at all.

"Watch This: reunites Slash with GNR alum Duff, and adds Dave Grohl on drums, to create a teeth-melting instrumental. The result proves that Slash could have gone the Jeff Beck route, letting his brilliant guitar work assume the fullness of a human voice for an entire CD.

One day let's hope he works up the nerve to do so.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2010/04/07/2010-04-07_slashs_brilliant_guitar_work_takes_a_backseat_to_showy_collaborations_on_his_fir.html

This reviewer gives the album 2.5/5 stars.
loosecannon3
Headliner

Calgary Flames Rule!!!

« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »

This may be a stupid question, but how do you get the bonus tracks if you download on itunes (ie Mother Maria and Sahara)?
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »

This may be a stupid question, but how do you get the bonus tracks if you download on itunes (ie Mother Maria and Sahara)?

You can find all the bonus tracks on limewire.  I got 'em.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »

Billboard CD reviews: Slash

ALBUM: SLASH

NEW YORK (Billboard) - He may not be Axl Rose's favorite person these days, but Slash still has plenty of friends -- and he's corralled an impressive group of them on the 14 tracks of his new self-titled solo effort. Filling the gap as he prepares for Velvet Revolver's (presumed) return, the guitarist kicks out some heavy jams with the Cult's Ian Astbury ("Ghost"), Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister ("Doctor Alibi"), Iggy Pop ("We're All Gonna Die"), Ozzy Osbourne on the Goth-flavored "Crucify the Dead" and M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold for the speeding horror rocker "Nothing to Say." And longtime colleague Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl join Slash for the jagged-groove instrumental "Watch This." But the top hat-wearing guitarist traipses in other stylistic directions, exploring rootsy, Americana-flavored terrain with Kid Rock ("I Hold On"), melodic pop (albeit with a bluesy solo) with Maroon 5's Adam Levine ("Gotten") and a slinky "Beautiful Dangerous" that gives us Fergie as we've never heard her before. "Slash" shoots a little too wide for its own good, but the album showcases him as the guitar hero we've always known and as the songwriter we probably haven't appreciated enough.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2010, 11:50:21 PM »

NEW YORK (Billboard) - He may not be Axl Rose's favorite person these days, but Slash still has plenty of friends -- and he's corralled an impressive group of them on the 14 tracks of his new self-titled solo effort. Filling the gap as he prepares for Velvet Revolver's (presumed) return, the guitarist kicks out some heavy jams with the Cult's Ian Astbury ("Ghost"), Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister ("Doctor Alibi"), Iggy Pop ("We're All Gonna Die"), Ozzy Osbourne on the Goth-flavored "Crucify the Dead" and M. Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold for the speeding horror rocker "Nothing to Say." And longtime colleague Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl join Slash for the jagged-groove instrumental "Watch This." But the top hat-wearing guitarist traipses in other stylistic directions, exploring rootsy, Americana-flavored terrain with Kid Rock ("I Hold On"), melodic pop (albeit with a bluesy solo) with Maroon 5's Adam Levine ("Gotten") and a slinky "Beautiful Dangerous" that gives us Fergie as we've never heard her before. "Slash" shoots a little too wide for its own good, but the album showcases him as the guitar hero we've always known and as the songwriter we probably haven't appreciated enough.

Fair review and hard to argue with that.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:51 AM »

Fair review and hard to argue with that.

That's for sure been the most unbiased one I've seen so far and I agree  beer
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: