Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 02:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'SLASH' The Album - Reviews
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'SLASH' The Album - Reviews  (Read 56841 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

Review: Slash better off as a man of mystery

By The Associated Press

April 04, 2010, 11:10PM

Can we all agree that Slash, the infamously top-hatted guitar god, is the coolest dude on the planet? His awesome ostrich-nest hair helps; not wearing a shirt for 44 years is impressive, too. But what has really made Saul Hudson stand out is his incredibly uncool co-workers: Guns N' Roses' surly leprechaun, Axl Rose, and Velvet Revolver's zombie scarecrow, Scott Weiland.

As those singers unleashed diva destruction, the shy ax slinger with the serpentine style remained a mystery, hanging back, uncorking snake-bitten solo after solo. Welcome to the Jungle is 23 years old, and Slash's stuttery licks still give me chills.

But on a self-titled new solo album being released Tuesday, Slash is finally emerging from the sideman shadows and revealing himself. He co-writes and jams with a who's who of stars, including Fergie and Kid Rock, but he's calling the shots. So what kind of frontman is he? The answer is not as cool as you'd hope ? unless you're a 16-year-old 7-Eleven clerk stuck in 1986.

Slash is such a majestic talent, I expected a head-snapping array of genre-mashing. Have you ever heard him do the Godfather theme? Mind-blowing. Instead, most of Slash is vaguely Dokkenesque ? overly slick production, ripe lyrics, rote power chords. Hey, at this very moment I could sing along to at least 10 Ratt songs ? not including Round and Round. But even the suburban dirtball in me is bored.

Opening cut Ghost, featuring Ian Astbury from the Cult, is a midtempo clunker: "Kill the ghost that hides in your soul / Rock 'n' roll." Ozzy Osbourne shows up on Crucify the Dead, a direct shot at Axl Rose: "We were like brothers with the world in our hands / You always had too much to say / Someday you'll look back and you'll wonder why / You let it all slip away." That's a decent punch, but the song ultimately plays like a lame Bark at the Moon B side.

The missed opportunities are myriad. Old pal Duff McKagan and Foo Fighter Dave Grohl jam on Watch This Dave, which never reaches the expected transcendent highs. Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale, the one guy with bigger hair than Slash's, shows up on By the Sword, but the pseudo-mythic vamp only skirts greatness. Slash's playing on Doctor Alibi is ferocious, a Jackson Pollock painting come to life, but Motorhead's Lemmy sounds as if he's singing it from a busted wheelchair.

There are a few highlights. Fergie and Slash are sexy as all get-out, so it makes sense that the gentlemen's-club grind of Beautiful Dangerous works, especially her high-wailing Axl impression. I Hold On is more Kid Rock than Slash, but it has the gospel-tinged makings of a hit. And who would have thought that the strange-bedfellows inclusion of Maroon 5's Adam Levine would pay off? The black-and-bluesy Gotten features Slash's best solo, slowly exploding like a broken heart.

This is a chummy album: newbies paying respects, Slash nodding to his heroes. But something's off. Maybe the problem is that, for all the madness of Rose and Weiland, Slash thrived on insanity, darkness, danger. Or maybe, for a man who hides his face from the world, he's better off lurking in the shadows and simply letting the mystery be.

http://www.mlive.com/music/index.ssf/2010/04/review_slash_better_off_as_a_m.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »

Ghost  I like it, great to hear Izzy and Slash playing together again and Ian does a good job on vocals.  its a good opener to the album but its nothing special.  i prefer the opening tracks on Contraband and Libertad. its a good song though.

Crucify the Dead  I had high expectations for this since im a huge Slash and Ozzy fan but the song is a let down.  Maybe i just havent gotten into it yet but i find myself hitten next when i get to this.  Its just kinda boring..

Beautiful Dangerous This really picks the album up IMO.  Catchy as hell and Slash's solo and outro solo are awesome.  Surely it will be a succesful single if chosen.  Also ironic how all the people bitching bout Fergie for months actually seem to like this Smiley

Back from Cali  I like the riffing and its a cool rock track.  its a cool song to rock out to. I like Myles.

Promise  Havent really listened to this enough but im not too impressed so far. i like Slash's playing but the song is a bit boring.

By the Sword  probably my favourite on the album.  Zeppelin like riffs and stockdale even sounds a bit like Plant.  Great rocker and it will have me headbanging at the live show.   smoking

Gotten  Biggest shock on the album.  its deep and adam does a great job.  Slash's solo is really cool and fits the song. i really like this.

Doctor Alibi  One word: Awesome!  I dont care that the riff is the same as the Ramones cos its just 3 or 4 powerchords.  This rocks hard and Slash's solo is fast as fuck.  he uses a similar lick as in Dirty little thing at one point.  I love the "I will haunt you for 1000 years" too!  hihi

Watch This  Again, this is awesome.  love Slash's playing and the heavy riffing.  I know a lot of people arent mad on this, but ive heard people complain that the solos arent long enough. This song is basically a solo.  Enjoy.

I hold on  Sounds like Aerosmith to me. cool track.  it didnt get great reviews so i think people are pleasantly surprised when they hear this.  Solo is cool. uses some similar licks to Messages.

nothing to say  Slash playing thrash metal!  great track, especially for the A7X fans.  Heavy riffing, catchy chorus, cool soloing.  what more can we ask for?

Starlight  This is one that people seem to love or hate.  I love it.  myles does an amazing job on the chorus and its a great Slash solo. 

Saint is a sinner too  Surprisingly nice track.  Some people will be like WTF, but at least Slash has tried some other styles.  i like the guitar solo.

We're all gonna die  This is sort of a fun track.  some neat soloing and very funny lyrics.  its a cool track to close out with!

Sahara  i love Slash's playing even though the song aint great.  cool riffage and soloing!

Baby cant drive  just listend once and it seemed like a cool but cheesy song.  probably best that its a bonus.

Chains and Shackles  Same as Nothing to Say really, except i prefer the latter.  not mad on the scremo vibe.

Mother Maria  Beautiful solo!!!

its a cool album for me.  Better than Libertad but probably not quite as good as Contraband.  It starts a bit slow for me but gets better as it progresses.  by the Sword, beautiful Dangerous, Doctor Alibi, Starlight and Nothing to Say are probably my favourites.  but promise and crucify the dead are disappointing.  The biggest shock is people seem to dig the Fergie and Adam Levine tracks a lot!  Definitly worth an 8/10.  Beautiful Dangerous has potential to be a big single if Slash goes there... 

Overall:  8/10   Will probably be my favourite album of this year but i do hope VR get back on track.  Cant wait for the live shows and the setlist!

PS: looks like good old wiki don't seem to know josh freese is the drummer on this album.  They have listed Travis Barker! oh dear!  He didn't even play at all!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:12:52 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »

Slash - 'Slash' Review

Slash's First Solo Album Boasts a Lot of Big Names but Not Many Surprises

Slash?s star-laden solo album Slash is a very mixed bag. Probably the only record this year to include appearances from Kid Rock, Maroon 5?s Adam Levine, Black Eyed Peas? Fergie, Ozzy Osbourne and Iggy Pop, Slash finds the Velvet Revolver guitarist bouncing around between rock and pop. But while the record?s far-ranging sound helps to illuminate little-seen sides of Slash?s musical personality, the quality of the material is all over the map. Anybody hoping that this solo effort would be a hard-rock monster akin to Slash?s glory days in Guns N? Roses will be disappointed, but on the whole this uneven effort works.

A High-Concept Solo Album

Slash consists of 14 tracks featuring different high-profile vocalists. (Only Alter Bridge?s Myles Kennedy shows up more than once, and one song, ?Watch This,? is an instrumental starring Foo Fighters? Dave Grohl and Slash?s Velvet Revolver bandmate Duff McKagan.) Before the album?s release, Slash?s most intriguing aspect was the fact that we?d get to hear singers from across the musical map lend their voices to Slash?s sonic concoctions. In reality, though, the success rate isn?t as high as one would like. Interestingly, Chris Cornell is one of the spotlighted vocalists, and in a way Slash is much like Cornell?s 2009 collaboration with hip-hop producer Timbaland, Scream, in that it transplants a known rock commodity into the mainstream pop world. Granted, Slash still feels for the most part in the same genre as Slash?s output with GNR and Velvet Revolver, but it?s largely a rock album for people who normally shy away from the aggressiveness of an Appetite for Destruction.

Slash, Pop Star?

Slash is best known for his work in the rock world, but he?s also done guest spots on albums for artists like Bob Dylan and Michael Jackson, suggesting that he?s not someone who?s narrow-minded about what constitutes ?rock.? By inviting people like Levine and Fergie to sing on Slash, the guitarist is perhaps arguing that musical creativity transcends rigid genre definitions, and on occasion he proves his point. Levine?s ballad ?Gotten? feels very much cut from the same cloth as your typical Maroon 5 single, but it?s nonetheless an inviting middle-ground between Levine?s adult-oriented pop and Slash?s expressive solos. But then you have Fergie?s ?Beautiful Dangerous,? which is an unmitigated disaster. Going for a slice of sleazy, sultry stripper-rock, Fergie snarls and moans throughout ?Beautiful Dangerous,? but the track ends up sounding like a pop star?s lame idea of hard rock, and as a result it?s nothing but cheesy. Often, the individual pop tracks feel more like that particular singer?s work than they do the product of Slash. For example, Kid Rock?s ?I Hold On? is a standout mid-tempo tune, but it draws heavily from the soul-infused sound Kid pursued to great effect on his Rock N Roll Jesus. Ironically, Slash?s solo album may be the first case of an artist ceding too much of the limelight to his guest stars.

The Album Highlights

Maybe not surprisingly, Slash is at its best when the guitarist hooks up with veteran rock and punk vocalists. Lemmy?s ?Doctor Alibi? is a terrific burning-rubber rocker filled with bad attitude and strutting riffs, and Iggy Pop?s ?We?re All Gonna Die? celebrates the inevitability of mortality by throwing one decadent party. But beyond being album highlights, these two songs reveal Slash?s pleasures as well as its limitations. It?s fun to hear all these different vocalists teaming up with Slash, but the songs can sometimes seem too tailored to the singer?s individual styles. Rather than a brilliant meeting of the minds, Slash is just a solid piece of craftsmanship that plays it a little too safe. You?ll be entertained by Slash but not blown away. Then again, maybe a conservative approach was wise ? the most daring song on here is the Fergie track, and perhaps tellingly, it?s also easily the worst.

'Slash' ? Best Tracks:

?We?re All Gonna Die? (Purchase/Download)
?Doctor Alibi? (Purchase/Download)
?Saint Is a Sinner Too? (Purchase/Download)
?I Hold On? (Purchase/Download)
?Gotten? (Purchase/Download)
Release date ? April 6, 2010

http://rock.about.com/od/reviews/fr/SlashSoloAlbumReview.htm

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »

If the critics hate it, the fans usually love it....  HA...
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/slash_0310.htm

Slash - Slash 
(Roadrunner) UK release date: 10 May 2010

by Talia Soghomonian 

4/5

Apart from the inevitable and unnecessary Chinese Democracy comparisons, Slash is already getting some flak from diehard fans. How could he invite Maroon 5's Adam Levine or Fergie to appear on his new solo album?

But this is a guy who has performed with countless artists out of his genre including Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder. He is not ashamed to call himself a "music whore".

The top hat-wearing guitar hero has gingerly handpicked a diverse palette of vocalists to accompany each of the 16 tracks and contribute to the lyrics, while he takes care of the riffs. Written mostly during the last Velvet Revolver tour, Slash offers a mix of rock, blues, metal and even pop with a little help from his friends. While his guitar gently cries its iconic wail, Nine Inch Nails drummer Josh Freese and ex-Jane's Addiction bassist Chris Chaney take care of the rhythm section. Yet the iconoclastic guitarist is careful to never upstage his guests.

On their very first north American tour, back in 1987, Guns N' Roses opened for The Cult, and here is Ian Astbury kicking off Slash's album with Ghost. It's a classic rock number, an ode to their (g)olden days, especially when the signature dual guitar with former Roses member Izzy Stradlin kicks in. This is R & F'n R, man, and it is fun and unadulterated. But rock is also about atmosphere, provided on Crucify The Dead. This is pure Ozzy, from the poignancy of the lyrics and vocal interpretation to the discrete airs of Black Sabbath that wafts through like a ghost.

Rock legends abound - the ubiquitous Iggy Pop closes the album with We're All Gonna Die - but Slash is smart enough to cater to every generation of fans and celeb friends alike. Which may explain his choice of Fergie. After her live rendition of the Roses classic Sweet Child O' Min, the world discovered a rock chick disguised as a Black Eyed Peas member. She's got the attitude and energy of a younger Pat Benatar and a voice well suited to rock, and Beautiful Dangerous offers a look at her more perverse side.

Perhaps the most surprising collaboration is with Levine. Even if the tune is not Maroon 5, Levine's instantly recognizable voice inevitably brings his band's sensitivity to it. Clearly Slash has chosen these songs with particular people in mind, much like I Hold On with Kid Rock.

Promise generates more interest as it features Chris Cornell, one of the greatest voices in rock. This melancholic rock ballad is one of a couple on the album, alongside the heavy Back From Cali, one of the two tracks (the other is Starlight) sung by Myles Kennedy. The Alter Bridge vocalist, slated to tour with Slash, apparently replaced Jack White; he didn't want to sing, but rather just play drums or guitar. Similar conditions were also set by Dave Grohl.

The killer tune Watch This, featuring Grohl and ex-Roses member Duff McKagan, ended up being a proggy instrumental. Grohl's dynamic drumming pumps as much power as a zillion drumming bunnies running on Duracell, all in less than an unbelievable four minutes.

Lemmy Kilmister both sings and plays distorted bass on Doctor Alibi, and his lyrics pretty much sum up his life, Slash's and every other rocker's. Doctor Alibi is a sort of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for hard livin' rock stars. One tells him that he'll die if he keeps up his lifestyle, while the other reassures him that living it up is good for you, ridding the rocker of any shred of guilt about sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, three themes that the Mot?rhead frontman continues to explore 30 years on even on other people's music.

Elsewhere, Slash revisits his favorite musical epoch on the brash By The Sword, featuring Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale, a serious rival for the guitarist in the hair department. It's indicative of how the entire album was made: Slash sends someone a track, they write the lyrics, they meet and record, and it's in the box. Yet there is no trace of self-indulgence here, no Chinese Democracy level of faux-perfectionism and certainly no Axl Rose-type promises of musical superiority.

Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »

http://www.culturebully.com/slash-solo-cd-review

Slash : ?Slash? Review

There is little left to be said about Slash?s past work that hasn?t already been dissected a million times over: The guitarist is widely considered to be one of the greatest soloists of all time?if not one of the greatest guitarists of all time?and the songs created during his years playing with Guns N? Roses will forever be remembered as some of the best in the history of rock music. Furthermore, Slash?s ability to reestablish himself in a new era with Velvet Revolver only goes to further cement his status a vital member of the modern rock community; not to mention his million-plus selling Slash?s Snakepit project and his countless guest contributions over the past 20 years. To say that Slash is a departure from the guitarist?s past work is a bit of a stretch, but in describing the new album?his first ?solo? record?it would be achingly difficult not to suggest that it further reinforces the idea that Slash as one of the best in the world, regardless of time and supporting cast.

That?s not to say that the lineup performing with Slash on the album isn?t remarkable though, as the distinguished rhythm section alone, featuring bassist Chris Chaney (Jane?s Addiction, Alanis Morissette) and drummer Josh Freese (Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, the Vandals), offers up a wealth of talented support. But when considering that Ian Astbury (the Cult), Ozzy Osbourne, Chris Cornell, Dave Grohl, Iggy Pop and Lemmy Kilmister (Mot?rhead) are but a few of the guests who make contributions throughout the album it quickly becomes apparent that Slash has surrounded himself by some of the best in the world when taking on this new project. Even when you?re one of the best in the world it doesn?t hurt to surround yourself with legends.

Astbury is the first of the bunch to join in, lending his voice to ?Ghost? which leads off the album. With the track Slash, accompanied by his long time Guns N? Roses counterpart Izzy Stradlin, quickly identifies a trend which is followed closely throughout Slash: Rather than taking the spotlight he focuses on playing to the strengths of the vocalist. In this case ?Ghost? sounds less like Astbury standing in on a Guns N? Roses track and more like Slash joining the Cult for a rumbling journey into the band?s history. The same can be said for ?Crucify The Dead? where Slash slows things down and takes the approach of an epic soloist lurking in the background while Ozzy Osbourne controls the song.

One of the first unexpected developments on the album is Slash?s collaboration with Black Eyed Peas vocalist Fergie on ?Beautiful Dangerous.? Having previously performed with Slash at his 2008 birthday celebration, Fergie comfortably steps in as an unusually sharp rock soulstress in the track, with Slash creating a wave of sound which carries her voice far beyond initial expectations. This isn?t to say that Fergie isn?t a talented singer in her own right, but simply that her ability to carry the song?s chorus is completely unexpected?no matter how tacky her hurried verses might be.

Myles Kennedy, formerly of Alter Bridge, follows with the slow rolling ?Back From Cali,? his first of two appearance on the record (his second comes with the bluesier ?Starlight?). With the pair of tracks Kennedy and Slash reveal an unusually compatible chemistry which translates well with the recordings. Oddly enough, at times Kennedy ends up sounding more like Chris Cornell than Cornell himself, who follows with the jagged ?Promise.?

After Wolfmother?s Andrew Stockdale steps in with the record?s second single, ?By The Sword,? the album?s second unusual pairing pits one of Slash?s slow-moving riffs against the smooth vocals of Maroon 5?s Adam Levine. And while the slowed down pace of the song might be the most uncharacteristic on Slash, ?Sword? does find the guitarist once again placing himself humbly in a position where he?s supporting the vocalist to allow for their talents to shine.

The album continues as Lemmy Kilmister lends his legendary growl on the raucous ?Doctor Alibi,? Dave Grohl and former G?n'R Duff McKagan accompany Slash on the album?s only instrumental ?Watch This,? and Kid Rock lends his voice to ?I Hold On.? But it?s the third, and possibly the most striking, surprise which again reinvigorates the record. In ?Nothing To Say? Slash joins Avenged Sevenfold?s M. Shadows with an edgy riff that wouldn?t be entirely out of place within the group?s driving mainstream metal. While ?Nothing To Say? is neither the best song on the album nor the best depiction of Slash?s talents it does showcase another uncharacteristic sound on the record, something which gives Slash a fresh feeling all the way through. Following Kennedy?s second appearance and the acoustic ?Saint is a Sinner Too,? Slash is joined by Iggy Pop on ?We?re All Gonna Die.? Pop?s vocals on the song sound about as flat as his 2007 Stooges reunion album The Weirdness however, leaving the record fading away on an unfortunately sour note.

It?s hard to fault anything Slash does musically as the man is steady in his craft and has delivered time and time again for well over two decades. But when adding the element of outside influence, as with the laundry-list of contributors who were invited to join him with Slash, the risk of becoming a parody of oneself becomes a real one: In each of the album?s tracks Slash could very well sit back and be the top hat wearing, chain-smoking icon we know him as, steadily jamming out while each vocalist sits in and tries to fall into line with the guitarist?s sound and mystique. But instead each track comes across as not only an honest collaboration of ideas, but an oddly out-of-body experience for the guitarist. With each track Slash steps out of the sound which we?ve come to expect from him and showcases an unexpected side to his talents. In terms of an individual musician this might not seem like that big of a deal. But when considering history?s greatest guitarists and their tendency toward insisting on being the unwavering focal point of their songs, Slash translates as something far more incredible.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »

Duff McKagan: What to Listen For On Slash's Solo Record (Besides Me!)

By Duff McKagan, Monday, Apr. 5 2010

I am excited for my good buddy this week. Slash is putting out a new record that, if you saw things from where I am sitting, he has probably been working on in one form or another, since 1994. After the last Velvet Revolver record and tour, we were all pretty damned burnt out on that whole thing. Slash repaired himself in a studio in Hollywood and recorded some damn fine rock music. Here's a look at a few tracks of his self-titled record:

"Live By The Sword": This first single from Slash's record showcases the grandiosity that is too often these days, missing from rock songs. Andrew Stockdale kills it!

"Ghost": Great riffage featuring the guitar tandem of Slash and Izzy...which is always great to hear. Ian Astbury is the featured singer on this song and he is always great in my view.

"Watch This": Well, because me and Dave Grohl play on this instrumental, naturally!

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2010/04/duff_mckagan.php

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »

From the Washington Post:

Album review of Slash's eponymous solo debut

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

SLASH

Slash can't sing, so the former Guns N' Roses guitarist enlisted a motley assortment of veteran rock icons, Sunset Strip hangers-on and present-day pop stars to provide the vocals for his first official solo album, "Slash."

If you've ever wondered what a GnR album would sound like with Adam Levine from Maroon 5 subbing for Axl Rose, here's your answer: kind of strange, but not unpleasant. Everybody on "Slash" sounds like a disembodied, slightly harder, late-'90s version of themselves, as if they were auditioning for an early incarnation of Velvet Revolver.

A rundown, by category:

All-Purpose Grizzled Vets

Ian Astbury, "Ghost": Reminiscent of a great unheard Cult track mixed with a techno-y version of "Welcome to the Jungle."

Ozzy Osbourne, "Crucify the Dead": "You cannot crucify the dead," reasons Ozzy on this freakishly mild number. We're pretty sure he's right about this.

Chris Cornell, "Promise": Cornell's role as frontman of the hair-metal-killing grunge behemoths Soundgarden would have made this sludgy semi-ballad/superpower summit unthinkable a decade ago. Otherwise, it's amiable but unremarkable.

Current Superstars Whose Participation Indicates They Were the Recipients of Poor Career Advice

Adam Levine, "Gotten": One of the disc's few slow songs, this unfortunately hews closer to a Maroon 5 ballad than to a post-millennial "November Rain."

Fergie, "Beautiful Dangerous": This slinky, hard-grinding pop-metal track suggests Fergie could have a future in stripper anthems, if she wanted one.

-- Allison Stewart

Recommended tracks:

"Ghost" (Astbury), "Beautiful Dangerous" (Fergie)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/05/AR2010040504320.html

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »

saw the above earlier on..... most reviews have been a blood bath so far.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 09:45:02 AM »

saw the above earlier on..... most reviews have been a blood bath so far.
That means people will like it.  hihi

Slash is the number 5 trending topic on yahoo right now.

TRENDING NOW
Elin Nordegren
Scottie Pippen
Erin Andrews
Boeing X-37
Slash
Steven Tyler
Dancing With the…
Harry Potter
NCAA Championship
Calexico
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:52:01 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

Hopefully the first result of the search is a link to purchase the album.   hihi

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »

Hopefully the first result of the search is a link to purchase the album.   hihi
He had moved up to number 4 but now he's out of the top 10.  Apparently that list changes quite quickly.  The latest links are reviews for the album and Slash saying how Axl Rose is phenomenal.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »

I am VERY happy with the album!  Its a grower for sure and on just one listen alone I can see why it may not get the high praise... But Back from Cali, Starlight, Saint Is a Sinner Too, Watch This, Nothing to Say are all Class songs.....
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »

He had moved up to number 4 but now he's out of the top 10.  Apparently that list changes quite quickly.  The latest links are reviews for the album and Slash saying how Axl Rose is phenomenal.

Slash is now #3 on that list.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

on my way to buy the album right now! Can't wait!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2010, 11:37:48 AM »

most reviews have been a blood bath so far.

There have been a lot of negative reviews.  This one from the Calgary Herald gives it 2 1/2 out of 5.  But one from the University Of Iowa is more positive.

Slash & Burn

Review

Slash Slash

2 ? out of five

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Slash+Burn/2767525/story.html

CD Review: Slash

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010/04/06/Arts/16545.html

Edit: to change Calgary Herald to 2 1/2
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:54:19 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

sandman
Legend

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:50 AM »

that AP review is spot on. after the writer clearly documents their love fest for slash, they basically say the record is a huge disappointment.

the conclusion isn't a new one, it's what we have known for years...slash is one of the greatest guitar players, but he's not a great song writer. he needs an Axl (or other genius) to take his talents and frame them for him. end of story.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

most reviews have been a blood bath so far.

There have been a lot of negative reviews.  This one from the Calgary Herald gives it 1/2 out of 5.  But one from the University Of Iowa is more positive.

Slash & Burn

Review

Slash Slash

- ? out of five

http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainment/Slash+Burn/2767525/story.html

CD Review: Slash

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2010/04/06/Arts/16545.html

he didn't really seem to give ANYbody on that list anything higher than what a 3 lol?!  rofl  peace
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »

he didn't really seem to give ANYbody on that list anything higher than what a 3 lol?!  rofl  peace

I hit refresh and it now says...

Slash Slash

2 ? out of five

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »

we all know reviews means jack shit, this has nothing to do with my feelings towards this album
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: