Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:28:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  'SLASH' The Album - Reviews
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'SLASH' The Album - Reviews  (Read 57021 times)
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »

the dude was from Roadrunner

No, the record is being release by Roadrunner, that's why I included it.  The reviewer is from altsound.com.

Yeah, I doubt Roadrunner wouldn't give its own album a glowing review.... Tongue

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

the dude was from Roadrunner, so its of no surprise he loved the Avenged Sevenfold song, but didnt seem to give Fergie, Levine, or any of the other "soft" vocalists a chance.  It is not a metal album.  He thought Levine was a has been,  Maroon 5 sells more records than most of the bands on roadrunner, he seems to be out of touch with music outside of the  metal genre.  He seemed to have his mind made up before he listened to the album.  He did praise Slash's guitar work though, but thats not hard. He is the best at what he does.
damn shame Grin
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:19 PM »

the dude was from Roadrunner

No, the record is being release by Roadrunner, that's why I included it.  The reviewer is from altsound.com.

ahh ok.  I take back the part where I said he is from Roadrunner.  Other than that I stand by my analysis of his review.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

the dude was from Roadrunner, so its of no surprise he loved the Avenged Sevenfold song, but didnt seem to give Fergie, Levine, or any of the other "soft" vocalists a chance.  It is not a metal album.  He thought Levine was a has been,  Maroon 5 sells more records than most of the bands on roadrunner, he seems to be out of touch with music outside of the  metal genre.  He seemed to have his mind made up before he listened to the album.  He did praise Slash's guitar work though, but thats not hard. He is the best at what he does.
The reviewer is a self proclaimed Slash FAN, so that's probably why he liked the guitar work.  I agree with him for the songs I've heard so far.  I have NO complaints with the guitar work on the 6 or so songs I've heard.  It's the lyrics, vocals, etc. that's the problem for me with songs not named "By The Sword" or "Starlight".

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 11:10:45 PM »

the guy reviewing this seems like a metalhead and slash has never been a metal guy
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 04:00:31 AM »

I'm sat in place, ready to loathe it.

Look at the above quote.  Are reviewers always that close minded? 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 06:59:27 AM »

I'm sat in place, ready to loathe it.

Look at the above quote.  Are reviewers always that close minded? 

I think most people coming into this album will be ready to loathe the track that quote refers to. Unlike him, though, everyone I've seen so far have been surprised at how awesome it is. It's still currently my favourite out of everything I've heard.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »

Has anyone gotten their Classic Rock magazine yet? I pulled this from the Alter Bridge forum where they posted the Myles stuff. If anyone has, scan it in the computer as I have been waiting to read this one and the Rollinstone review whenever that comes. Here is all the person posted:

I have just received the latest edition of Classic Rock magazine here in the U.K..There is a double page review of the new Slash album and it received a rating of 9/10 !.
The reviewer (Mick Wall) also says....

"The 2 tracks from Alter Bridge's Myles Kennedy are another revelation:Back from Cali (like Velvet Revolver with a proper singer) and Starlight (harking back to a time when rock didn't come with a capital 'R' but sure had alot of heart and soul).We knew Kennedy was good,which is why Page identified him as a plausible replacement in Zeppelin for Plant.We didn't know he might just be the best frontman Slash has worked with since you-know-who,inspiring him to perform with the kind of arched back enthusiasm we remember from you- know- when"
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »

Has anyone gotten their Classic Rock magazine yet?

i thought it was April 7th...

just saw this comment on the classic rock page though.

"I got my CR on Saturday.

What a suprise to see the CR enduced Slash overhpyed album get 9/10!"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:57:27 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »

Has anyone gotten their Classic Rock magazine yet?

i thought it was April 7th...

just saw this comment on the classic rock page though.

"I got my CR on Saturday.

What a suprise to see the CR enduced Slash overhpyed album get 9/10!"

I think this is the current issue of the actual magazine. Not the Slash special that comes with the album.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/pre-order-brand-slash%E2%80%99s-new-solo-album/

This is the cover for the Slash fanpack album.   Due out on April 7th.

Axl Reznor, i have the current edition and i didnt see a review???  admittedly, i just scanned through the magazine once though.

The pre orders are all sold out now also..  think there was 1000
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:15:39 AM by jacdaniel » Logged

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

I think the 1000 figure was the number of copies that could be pre ordered in the US.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 11:19:58 AM »

I think the 1000 figure was the number of copies that could be pre ordered in the US.

Nope. It was the number overall.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 11:33:21 AM »

Nope. It was the number overall.

Still good news that they're all ordered.  Hopefully lots of people will pick it up from the shelves.  I know i will be.

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2010, 03:39:44 AM »

http://www.aardschok.com/cd-van-de-maand

From Google translator: 

If you just enough to plates of famous fellow pop up, all those celebrities you sooner or later invite your own solo album. So it must be about gone. The past decade Slash ubiquitous, both at the plate and on the stage. On his first solo album by guitarist (ex-Guns N 'Roses, Velvet Revolver) adorned merely sounding names, including Dave Grohl, Lemmy, Ian Astbury (The Cult), Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge), Kid Rock, Iggy Pop Chris Cornell and Ozzy Osbourne. Now guarantees a rich address book no top plate, but that's "Slash" have become accidentally. The guitarist, the songs on the body of his guests wrote, without denying himself. As always tasteful and virtuosic game acts as a thread. The album starts with the pumping "Ghost", with Ian Astbury and the protagonist (played the guitar), Izzy Stradlin. Ozzy late in the moody "Crucify The Dead" still belong to sing, even if evil tongues in recent years have claimed otherwise. One of the topnummers is also the first single: the Led Zeppelin-like "By The Sword", with Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother) on vocals. Because that guy can reverberate! Actually falls anywhere in the plate. Everyone seems to put his best foot forward, even Lemmy in "Doctor Alibi". Iggy Pop sound of the fatalistic "We're All Gonna Die" even more vital than his most recent solo albums. Myles Kennedy is the only two songs to hear. It is no coincidence. He will slash a permanent singer accompany the upcoming world tour. Here and do all Velvet Revolver colleagues note. With the band comes also be okay.

This is a top Dutch Rock magazine.  Slash gets album of the month with an 8.5

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »

Slash Review

Released: Apr 6, 2010
Genre: Rock
Label: EMI (US), Universal Music (Japan), Roadrunner Records (Europe)
Number Of Tracks: 14

Featured review by: Ultimate Guitar Team, on april 02, 2010

Sound: Slash has pulled out the big guns for his debut solo CD, and Guns N? Roses (and Velvet Revolver) devotees will be relieved to know that the iconic guitarist doesn?t misfire. You might make the automatic assumption that Slash would deliver an album full of his trademark blues-rock riffage, and there is some truth to that notion. But the self-titled CD, although creatively driven by Slash, branches off into several musical arenas ? due largely in part to the eclectic group of musicians recruited for the project. There aren?t many artists who would have the guts to include the likes of Adam Levine (Maroon 5), Fergie (Black Eyed Peas), and Iggy Pop on the same album, but you?ve got to hand it to the man with the top hat. He works it out.

The album?s 14 tracks (which include the last-minute addition ?Back From Cali,? featuring Myles Kennedy on vocals) always bolster trademark Slash moments, but the unique styles of the guest artists are also huge driving forces. It?s a veritable laundry list of the who?s who in rock, with Slash usually writing the musical portion with specific individuals in mind. Iggy Pop?s ?We?re All Gonna Die? certainly carries the most punk-heavy vibe on the album, while the Lemmy Kilmeister-fronted ?Doctor Alibi? contains all of the attitude and rawness one would hope and pray would embody the spirit of Motorhead. With pretty much every track, you?ll receive a good dose of soloing from Slash, who wows with his wah-fueled work in the first single ?By The Sword? (featuring Wolfmother?s Andrew Stockdale).

Utilizing the skills of Fergie and/or crooner Levine could possibly induce fear and trepidation into any Guns N? Rose purist. Thankfully Slash?s songwriting is steering the ship. Fergie?s performance on ?Beautiful Dangerous? takes a huge leap from her usual hip-hop repertoire, and the slithering rock tune ends up being one of the most satisfying tracks on the album. Levine does not necessarily shock with the pop-rock ballad ?Gotten,? but Slash has mentioned in interviews that writing that particular track was a labor-intensive process. Between its intricate arrangement (complete with a string section) and emotional intensity, ?Gotten? is an uncharacteristic, but oddly satisfying offering.

For as much time as Slash poured into a complex arrangement like the one heard in ?Gotten,? it?s the straight-on jam song that makes one of the biggest impressions. ?Watch This,? which showcases the talents of drummer Dave Grohl and bassist Duff McKagan, is a grinding rock instrumental that is reminiscent of GN?R?s early days. Apparently Grohl refused to provide vocals, and the man must have known what he was doing. ?Watch This? is a celebration of all the qualities that has elevated Slash to guitar god. // 9

Lyrics and Singing: While Slash is essentially the man behind the music, the vocalists took control of the lyrics. Given the varied nature of the artists, Slash?s record delves into a broad range of themes. In one moment the record tackles relationships (Levine?s ?Gotten? ) and in the next Kid Rock?s ?I Hold On? is delivering the staple message of just-take-life-one-day-at-a-time. Who gets the award for being most brutally honest? Mr. Iggy Pop in ?We?re Gonna Die,? of course. You can?t deny the punk appeal of lyrics like: ?I?m in the mood; So let?s intrude; Pee on the ground and jump around.? // 9

Impression: Don?t expect a carbon copy of Appetite For Destruction or Contraband with Slash?s self-titled debut. The guitarist has plenty more up his sleeve, and his diverse musical tastes have never been more evident. While that variety may still scare some listeners out there, the vast majority of tracks are memorable, infectious, and inspired. Slash channels Jimmy Page with ?By The Sword,? and may singlehandedly revive Ozzy Osbourne?s music career with ?Crucify The Dead.? A word of advice to any beloved musician who is looking to ?go solo? in the future: Take notes from Slash. // 9

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/slash/slash/index.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

beer

That's exactly my thought.
Axlfanatic
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »

Slash Review

Released: Apr 6, 2010
Genre: Rock
Label: EMI (US), Universal Music (Japan), Roadrunner Records (Europe)
Number Of Tracks: 14

Featured review by: Ultimate Guitar Team, on april 02, 2010

Sound: Slash has pulled out the big guns for his debut solo CD, and Guns N? Roses (and Velvet Revolver) devotees will be relieved to know that the iconic guitarist doesn?t misfire. You might make the automatic assumption that Slash would deliver an album full of his trademark blues-rock riffage, and there is some truth to that notion. But the self-titled CD, although creatively driven by Slash, branches off into several musical arenas ? due largely in part to the eclectic group of musicians recruited for the project. There aren?t many artists who would have the guts to include the likes of Adam Levine (Maroon 5), Fergie (Black Eyed Peas), and Iggy Pop on the same album, but you?ve got to hand it to the man with the top hat. He works it out.

The album?s 14 tracks (which include the last-minute addition ?Back From Cali,? featuring Myles Kennedy on vocals) always bolster trademark Slash moments, but the unique styles of the guest artists are also huge driving forces. It?s a veritable laundry list of the who?s who in rock, with Slash usually writing the musical portion with specific individuals in mind. Iggy Pop?s ?We?re All Gonna Die? certainly carries the most punk-heavy vibe on the album, while the Lemmy Kilmeister-fronted ?Doctor Alibi? contains all of the attitude and rawness one would hope and pray would embody the spirit of Motorhead. With pretty much every track, you?ll receive a good dose of soloing from Slash, who wows with his wah-fueled work in the first single ?By The Sword? (featuring Wolfmother?s Andrew Stockdale).

Utilizing the skills of Fergie and/or crooner Levine could possibly induce fear and trepidation into any Guns N? Rose purist. Thankfully Slash?s songwriting is steering the ship. Fergie?s performance on ?Beautiful Dangerous? takes a huge leap from her usual hip-hop repertoire, and the slithering rock tune ends up being one of the most satisfying tracks on the album. Levine does not necessarily shock with the pop-rock ballad ?Gotten,? but Slash has mentioned in interviews that writing that particular track was a labor-intensive process. Between its intricate arrangement (complete with a string section) and emotional intensity, ?Gotten? is an uncharacteristic, but oddly satisfying offering.

For as much time as Slash poured into a complex arrangement like the one heard in ?Gotten,? it?s the straight-on jam song that makes one of the biggest impressions. ?Watch This,? which showcases the talents of drummer Dave Grohl and bassist Duff McKagan, is a grinding rock instrumental that is reminiscent of GN?R?s early days. Apparently Grohl refused to provide vocals, and the man must have known what he was doing. ?Watch This? is a celebration of all the qualities that has elevated Slash to guitar god. // 9

Lyrics and Singing: While Slash is essentially the man behind the music, the vocalists took control of the lyrics. Given the varied nature of the artists, Slash?s record delves into a broad range of themes. In one moment the record tackles relationships (Levine?s ?Gotten? ) and in the next Kid Rock?s ?I Hold On? is delivering the staple message of just-take-life-one-day-at-a-time. Who gets the award for being most brutally honest? Mr. Iggy Pop in ?We?re Gonna Die,? of course. You can?t deny the punk appeal of lyrics like: ?I?m in the mood; So let?s intrude; Pee on the ground and jump around.? // 9

Impression: Don?t expect a carbon copy of Appetite For Destruction or Contraband with Slash?s self-titled debut. The guitarist has plenty more up his sleeve, and his diverse musical tastes have never been more evident. While that variety may still scare some listeners out there, the vast majority of tracks are memorable, infectious, and inspired. Slash channels Jimmy Page with ?By The Sword,? and may singlehandedly revive Ozzy Osbourne?s music career with ?Crucify The Dead.? A word of advice to any beloved musician who is looking to ?go solo? in the future: Take notes from Slash. // 9

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/compact_discs/slash/slash/index.html

I don't know- guess it depends on tastes- heard it several times now. guess he did a decent job, but i just don't think it Rocks Hard enough!  Personally i think it's nothing more than a cool Novelty don't think anyone will give a fuck a few mos. from now.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2010, 06:00:48 PM »

Ghost (featuring Ian Astbury & Izzy Stradlin)
The album gets off to a pretty strong start with the help of The Cult's Ian Astbury and Slash's old bandmate, Izzy Stradlin. The lyrics leave a little to be desired, but the vocal melody more than makes up for it. As does the awesome riffage throughout.

Beautiful Dangerous (featuring Fergie)
A lot of people were understandably worried when it was announced that Fergie would be singing on Slash's record. From the first note of the fruits of the collaboration however, it is evident that all of those fears were completely unfounded. Fergie's voice is oddly perfectly suited to the music that Slash has written for her, with her sultry verses erupting into a full-on rocking chorus. If this isn't eventually released as a single, I'd be worried about the people promoting the record. It's not only easily the catchiest, most immediate track on the album, but as it turns out possibly the best.

Crucify The Dead (featuring Ozzy Osbourne and Taylor Hawkins)
The first misfire on this album is also one of the tracks I was most looking forward to. Completely ignoring the songs subject matter (which I don't think Ozzy has any place singing about), the song overall is just not all that could. Pretty dull from start to finish, with only a few nice guitar parts left to elevate the song above mediocre. I never thought I'd have more positive things to say about Fergie's song than this one.

Back From Cali (featuring Myles Kennedy)
Oh dear. What can I say about 'Back From Cali' other than the fact that this song is cheesy as all hell? I don't know if Myles Kennedy's bad Axl Rose impressions in the chorus' combined with his constant need to prove whose lungs are the biggest is the only problem, or whether the music was also cheesy. If this was on a Snakepit album, this would have been one of the better songs... unfortunately, that doesn't mean it's good.

Promise (featuring Chris Cornell)
Thankfully Soundgarden's Chris Cornell is around to get things back on track. Myles could learn a lot from Chris, who has a similar range but doesn't bombard the listener with everything he can do in each song. The music itself is pretty offbeat compared to what's come before, but it mixes with Cornell's voice incredibly well. In fact, if this song was on Chris' 'Carry On' album, it would have benefited the album's overall quality (not that 'Carry On' was a bad album by any means).

By The Sword (featuring Andrew Stockdale)
The albums first single features Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother on vocals. A lot of people seemed surprised about how well Andrew's voice fit into the track when they first released. I didn't find it all that surprising at all to be honest, because what Slash has done here is practically write a Wolfmother song. Luckily, this is a 'Cosmic Egg' era Wolfmother song, and not in the style of their overhyped and quite dreadful debut. With Andrew's wail, and Slash channeling Jimmy Page in the guitar solo, this song couldn't go wrong really. It's one of the best songs on the record.

Gotten (featuring Adam Levine)
Here comes a big shocker. This track features Adam Levine from Maroon 5 on lead vocals, and it doesn't suck! In fact, not only does it not suck, but it's one of the most intricate and emotional tracks on the album. Slash's delicate picking in the verses, complete with brief bluesy licks is probably the most understated that the guitarist has been for years.

Doctor Alibi (featuring Lemmy)
I'll get this out of the way. I am not a Lemmy fan in any way. I think his style of bass-playing (?I turn it up real loud and hit it real hard?) is crap, and his voice is even worse. I know it's forbidden to say this stuff about the man who brought us 'Ace Of Spades', but there we go. Right, now we've got that out of the way... I really enjoyed this track. It comes as a bit of a shock to the system after the previous track, but man does it pump your adrenalin. Even if the riff is completely identical to 'Main Man' by The Ramones (and I think Slash knows The Ramones enough to know this), and the lyrics are a glorification of all the things that Slash himself doesn't do any more, because his doctor told him it won't be alright.

Watch This (featuring Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl)
As much as I love the band that plays with Slash through the majority of this album (Chris Chaney on bass, and one of my personal favourite drummers ever, Josh Freese), this track probably has the most incredible rhythym section I thought I would never hear. Duff McKagan and Dave Grohl fucking rock it in another of my favourite tracks on the album, an instrumental featuring some truly incredible soloing by Slash. In fact, if I were to base his songs entirely on his guitar-playing, this would without a doubt be the best thing he's done since 1991. Nice and heavy, with a bluesy refrain. The three of them should record an entire album together, either entirely instrumental or with Duff and Dave sharing vocals.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »

I Hold On (featuring Kid Rock)
This track features Kid Rock. I absolutely loathe Kid Rock. What a surprise then, that this is not the awful mess that I assumed it would be. Kid Rock seems to channel Steven Tyler throughout this Aerosmith-style ballad, and it works very well. So well that I think the Grammy's should create a new category this year... ?Award For The Artist Who Made Kid Rock Sound Good?. This won't be everyone's cup of tea... anyone who hates Aerosmith post-'Permanent Vacation' will hate it. But to me, this is a truly great track.

Nothing To Say (featuring M. Shadows)
A main riff consisting of a palm-muted open-E string played over and over again at speed. Shredding lead guitar. Jesus Christ, this is Slash? I didn't think I'd ever hear him do a song that was so heavily influenced by thrash metal. Really, there were only a few people who Slash could get to sing this song, and M. Shadows (being one of the biggest Guns N' Roses fans in modern music) was an obvious choice. The result is what would have happened if Slash had joined Avenged Sevenfold during the 'City Of Evil' sessions. Coming from other people that would have been an insult, but when Slash is on top of his game as he is here, he's my favourite guitarist of all time. And 'City Of Evil' is one of my favourite albums in the past ten years, so it's kind of a dream track.

Starlight (featuring Myles Kennedy)
This is the second song on the album to feature vocals by Myles Kennedy. Which is a shame, because with someone else I probably would have really liked this song. But with Myles needlessly yelling out the chorus with his bad Axl impression from 'Back From Cali', it turns into another song I don't care much for. Seriously, if he held back on the high notes, he'd be great. (I know his voice is technically great, but to me it's akin to a guitarist who plays at a million notes per second whilst forgetting to add feel and emotion to the song. All power, no soul).

Saint Is A Sinner Too (featuring Rocco DeLuca)
This is another big surprise, with Slash stepping outside of his comfort zone to write a song which is entirely different to anything else he has ever written. Relative unknown Rocco DeLuca's voice doesn't really do much for me, but it fits for such a mellow and interesting track. It's not fantastic, but worth a listen.

We're All Gonna Die (featuring Iggy Pop)
The album ends with this track featuring Iggy Pop. I can see this one being a favourite at live shows, for which it's chorus of ?we're all gonna die, so let's get high? is practically custom-made to have thousands of people yell in unison. Was there any doubt that Iggy would do a great job on this song, really? It's almost good enough for me to forgive those car insurance ads. Almost. Has some of  the most unashamedly rockin' soloing from Slash on the record, too.

Overall
After 'Libertad', I didn't have particularly high hopes for this album at all. I thought that Slash had been past it since leaving Guns N' Roses, and that 'Contraband' being awesome was obviously a fluke. Given a few years, and more freedom than he's ever had before, however and Slash has re-emerged, reinvigorated. I won't say that this is a perfect album, because there are a few tracks that I'm not too fond of, but there's enough great music on here to make those forgivable. In short, this is the best album that Slash has put out since 1991.

Ghost - 9/10
Beautiful Dangerous - 10/10
Crucify The Dead - 6/10
Back From Cali - 5/10
Promise - 9/10
By The Sword - 10/10
Gotten - 8/10
Doctor Alibi - 8/10
Watch This - 10/10
I Hold On - 9/10
Nothing To Say - 10/10
Starlight - 6/10
Saint Is A Sinner Too - 7/10
We're All Gonna Die ? 10/10

Overall - 9/10

Bonus Tracks (I'll add the other bonus tracks if/when I get them)
Mother Maria (featuring Beth Hart)
This track has been out a few months now, and it's quite different to what I was expecting from Slash. Other than 'Sahara' and the new version of 'Paradise City' it was the first thing released from the sessions for the solo record, and it really made me realise that the album would probably be a lot different to what I expected. Nice strong vocal from Beth Hart, and some some great playing by the band and Slash. Probably wouldn't have worked as part of the album, but I'm glad it's a bonus track for anybody who hadn't already bought it.

Chains & Shackles (featuring Nick Oliveri)
The music on this track is identical to that of the music on 'Nothing To Say', but with a completely different interpretation by Nick Oliveri. It's difficult to say which is better, as they're both so different, and I think equally good in their own way. But M. Shadows' take was probably a better choice for the album, as it's more accessible.

Paradise City (featuring Cypress Hill and Fergie)
What the fuck? Dude, if you have to play this song with these guys, go right ahead. If you wanted to record it with them for your own personal collection, fair enough. But why, oh why did you have to go and release it? Now don't get me wrong, Fergie's vocals on the track made me sit up, listen and realise that just maybe she can pull the rock chick thing off after all. But Cypress Hill? They're own material is good, but this song should not be rapped. Seriously! It's not as bad as I originally thought it would be, but even if I loved it I don't think Slash should have gone there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: