Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 09:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight  (Read 34835 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2010, 09:33:35 AM »

None of these are musical arguments. Brian and Roger have done tons of criticizable things, specially Brian, but i've never seen Brian playing the innuendo solo badly, out of tune, and overalll: SADLY, with a bunch of fucking rappers, just to seek some attention and $$$.

Slash didnt play it out of tune though.  he played it on a different part of the fretboard, obviously intentionally unless he no longer remembers his frets.
As far as i know artists don't get paid to play at the grammies so that rules out the $$$.
Rappers are more credible to me than X Factor or American idol wannabes.

Maybe for you its a muscial arguement but most people are criticizing the principle. 

If its a musical arguement, he is intentionally playing the part in a different position on the fretboard and he is so low in the mix that its hard to make out anyways.
You could certainly make the argument that Slash agreed to do that horrific collaboration for the exposure, which was aimed to increase sales of his upcoming solo album.  So yes, in a sense, he DID do it for money.  It's all about money, let's not kid ourselves.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »

None of these are musical arguments. Brian and Roger have done tons of criticizable things, specially Brian, but i've never seen Brian playing the innuendo solo badly, out of tune, and overalll: SADLY, with a bunch of fucking rappers, just to seek some attention and $$$.

Slash didnt play it out of tune though.  he played it on a different part of the fretboard, obviously intentionally unless he no longer remembers his frets.
As far as i know artists don't get paid to play at the grammies so that rules out the $$$.

Maybe for you its a muscial arguement but most people are criticizing the principle. 

If its a musical arguement, he is intentionally playing the part in a different position on the fretboard and he is so low in the mix that its hard to make out anyways.
You could certainly make the argument that Slash agreed to do that horrific collaboration for the exposure, which was aimed to increase sales of his upcoming solo album.  So yes, in a sense, he DID do it for money.  It's all about money, let's not kid ourselves.

Or maybe have you come to the thought it's in a different key because the BACKING to the song they are playing is in a different key?

Of course their is money involved but I'm certain he didn't think this 30 second spot was going to RACK the sales of the album out. That's retarded. He did it for a fun time and it was cool hearing it played again.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

Dave Navarro - That reality TV show with Carmen Electra, jamming with christina aguilera.

Dude was married to Carmen and the song he did w/ Christina Aguilera was great

Apparently Slash has a great song on the solo album with Fergie though, yet some people (not you) put the idea down all the time.

If you WANT to dislike something you will end of story.

Exactly and thats what a lot of people on this board do to Slash.  Yet im not so sure why they bother to comment at all.
They'll probably be the first people to post negative reviews the day before the solo album comes out.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »

Here is a better quality video of the performance and a TV Guide interview on the red carpet:

Interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqBJdeH8tk

Performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dplJhS0hOZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgMWd-T6OBA

Edit to add one more:

SLASH: Interview, Performance Footage From GRAMMY AWARDS Available - Feb. 1, 2010

Legendary guitarist Slash (GUNS N' ROSES, VELVET REVOLVER) was interviewed at at music mogul Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala at Los Angeles' Beverly Hilton Hotel on Saturday night (January 30) before he performed the GUNS N' ROSES classic "Sweet Child O' Mine" with the THE BLACK EYED PEAS. He also spoke to TV Guide at last night's (January 31) 52nd annual Grammy Awards, where he hooked up with Jamie Foxx, T-Pain and Doug E. Fresh for a special performance. According to the Nashville Scene, Slash inexplicably popped onstage to play his trademark "November Rain" solo during an already inexplicable Foxx and T-Pain homage to Auto-Tune.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=134364

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:04:21 AM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

Or maybe have you come to the thought it's in a different key because the BACKING to the song they are playing is in a different key?

Of course their is money involved but I'm certain he didn't think this 30 second spot was going to RACK the sales of the album out. That's retarded. He did it for a fun time and it was cool hearing it played again.
Give me a break.  He did this for FUN!  That's laughable.  He did it for the exposure, plain and simple.  That performance looked as far away from fun as I've ever seen.  So if he did do it for "fun" as you claim.  He failed miserably.  Nobody had fun watching that Slash.  It was painful.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:52:03 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »

I dont see were the exposure is though, he was only onstage for 30 seconds or so.  Most people probably didnt even notice him. 

Im not sure why he did it though.  i think whenever Slash is not in a band or the ball is not totally rolling with his album release and tour, he does all these jams.  probably to avoid boredom and slipping into doing drugs again.

Slash is known to have issues with boredom and doing drugs in his down time.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »

i liked it!  Smiley

Slash still has this special guitarist aura most others are lacking!

Re-Union time, baby!!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »

I dont see were the exposure is though, he was only onstage for 30 seconds or so.  Most people probably didnt even notice him. 

Im not sure why he did it though.  i think whenever Slash is not in a band or the ball is not totally rolling with his album release and tour, he does all these jams.  probably to avoid boredom and slipping into doing drugs again.

Slash is known to have issues with boredom and doing drugs in his down time.
It's exposure just being there.  He was on the red carpet and did an interview with Ryan Secrest.  He played with Jamie Foxx and T-Pain, audiences that probably weren't very aware of Slash but now at least can put a face to the name.  

You might be right that people may not have noticed him though because I'm sure a lot of people switched the channel before Slash even came onstage.  I mean, I certainly wouldn't have sat through that if I didn't know Slash was coming on.  That was just so excruciatingly bad.

WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »

Give me a break.  He did this for FUN!  That's laughable.  He did it for the exposure, plain and simple.  That performance looked as far away from fun as I've ever seen.  So if he did do it for "fun" as you claim.  He failed miserably.  Nobody had fun watching that Slash.  It was painful.

That's funny because i did and I actually seen and know many others did too. I'm sure the 30 second spot is going to sky rocket sales. Did you see Joe Perry play with Katy Perry at the VMA's last year? Sometimes people just do stuff to DO It. The album was never even mentioned in the interview or anything.

How did it look far from fun? T-Pain Foxx and Fresh looked like they where having fun and Slash came on to jam out.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2010, 10:36:39 AM »

That's funny because i did and I actually seen and know many others did too. I'm sure the 30 second spot is going to sky rocket sales. Did you see Joe Perry play with Katy Perry at the VMA's last year? Sometimes people just do stuff to DO It. The album was never even mentioned in the interview or anything.

How did it look far from fun? T-Pain Foxx and Fresh looked like they where having fun and Slash came on to jam out.
Read back what you bolded.  I said nobody had fun WATCHING that.  Obviously the performers had fun, but I bet they wouldn't be smiling so much if they watched the replay.

Okay, you got me.  Slash does everything just for fun, cares nothing about exposure or selling himself.  The fact that he has a solo album coming out this year has nothing to do with him showing up on American Idol, the Grammy's, the Super Bowl.  All just mere coincidences.

Thanks for setting me straight.  ok

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »

Dave Navarro - That reality TV show with Carmen Electra, jamming with christina aguilera.

Apparently Slash has a great song on the solo album with Fergie though, yet some people (not you) put the idea down all the time.

Yeah, but I WANT to like what Slash does but that thing last night was just plain awful. The song sounded like shit to begin with and Slash playing the NR outro over it added nothing. I have to think Perla or someone pushes him into some of these things. He didn't even look comfortable up there.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Burton
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »

I love Slash and can't wait to hear his solo album. That grammy performance was pretty embarrassing, man butchering his own solo, not cool not cool.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

Yeah, but I WANT to like what Slash does but that thing last night was just plain awful. The song sounded like shit to begin with and Slash playing the NR outro over it added nothing. I have to think Perla or someone pushes him into some of these things. He didn't even look comfortable up there.

I mentioned that above. I get the feeling that Perla likes going to awards shows and hanging out with celebrites etc.
Didnt some members of VR hate perla?  And Scott mentioned something about the wives being around them too much.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »

I have to think Perla or someone pushes him into some of these things.

Slash claims it was Jamie Foxx's idea and he called him to do it.

He doesn't have to say yes, but I think people are unrealistic sometimes about how things like this are important to at least keeping his name out in the public.

How many other lead guitarists from the 80's in their mid/late 40's are still thought of as being cool or relevant out there? Outside of Slash, I can't really think of any.

If he had just faded into obscurity (which is essentially what alot of people are advocating he should do), there is no way he gets to do half of things he gets to do. His solo album would not happen, or at least not with the roster of singers he managed to pull together.

The music industry now is a young man's game, and in a world where lead guitarists are this side short of extinct it behooves Slash to do these sorts of appearances as he has carved himself out a niche as being the goto guitarist for things like this. Which is really not a bad gig if you can get it.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »

The amusing side of this discussion is how people think they know why Slash does a certain thing.
The fact is that the solo was terrible and the jam didn't work out. Anything else is just conjecture.

Fuck 'Em All.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »

I have to think Perla or someone pushes him into some of these things.

Slash claims it was Jamie Foxx's idea and he called him to do it.

He doesn't have to say yes, but I think people are unrealistic sometimes about how things like this are important to at least keeping his name out in the public.

How many other lead guitarists from the 80's in their mid/late 40's are still thought of as being cool or relevant out there? Outside of Slash, I can't really think of any.

If he had just faded into obscurity (which is essentially what alot of people are advocating he should do), there is no way he gets to do half of things he gets to do. His solo album would not happen, or at least not with the roster of singers he managed to pull together.

The music industry now is a young man's game, and in a world where lead guitarists are this side short of extinct it behooves Slash to do these sorts of appearances as he has carved himself out a niche as being the goto guitarist for things like this. Which is really not a bad gig if you can get it.
I completely agree.  Some people need to come to grips though and admit that this is the case.  Slash isn't doing everything "just for fun".  There's a lot of reasoning behind making these appearances, and quite a few are much higher on the list than "having fun".  He does have to keep his name out there and make people aware he's still relevant.  I don't blame him for that.  But you can't deny that's what he's doing and that that performance last night was awful.

And again, with or without Slash, that performance was awful.  It's just a shame that Slash was involved with such a horrendous performance.  But, in the end of it all, it really doesn't matter.  It's not going to prevent any potential customers from buying his solo album.  It was really a no lose situation for Slash.  People were going to hate the performance even if it was "decent", but his appearance on the show keeps him in the limelight.  Just like going on American Idol, the Super Bowl, Ellen, Conan, etc.  When you make that many appearance you're gonna have some that hit and some that miss, but the main goal is to keep yourself in the limelight.  If nothing else, Slash has mastered that.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »

The amusing side of this discussion is how people think they know why Slash does a certain thing.
The fact is that the solo was terrible and the jam didn't work out. Anything else is just conjecture.
It works both ways.  People saying he does these things "for fun" or for "business" are both offering opinions.  I'm sure he has fun doing these things, but I'm also sure that the ultimate goal is to enhance his brand and image.  Why wouldn't it be?

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »

And again, with or without Slash, that performance was awful.  It's just a shame that Slash was involved with such a horrendous performance.  But, in the end of it all, it really doesn't matter.  It's not going to prevent any potential customers from buying his solo album.  It was really a no lose situation for Slash.  People were going to hate the performance even if it was "decent", but his appearance on the show keeps him in the limelight.  Just like going on American Idol, the Super Bowl, Ellen, Conan, etc.  When you make that many appearance you're gonna have some that hit and some that miss, but the main goal is to keep yourself in the limelight.  If nothing else, Slash has mastered that.

You're putting a negative spin on that, but I don't think what he does matters. I want to see the artists I like perform as much as they can. If they make more money from that, hey, more power to them. I know what music I like and the things I don't, I give them a miss. If something good comes out of these collaborations, then I get to listen to some new music. I don't believe in fans putting their idols on pedestals and dictating whom they should be playing with and what kind of music they should produce.

It works both ways.  People saying he does these things "for fun" or for "business" are both offering opinions.  I'm sure he has fun doing these things, but I'm also sure that the ultimate goal is to enhance his brand and image.  Why wouldn't it be?

I was speaking for both parties. Either opinion is just that - opinion.

Fuck 'Em All.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

That's funny because i did and I actually seen and know many others did too.
I'm sure the 30 second spot is going to sky rocket sales. Did you see Joe Perry play with Katy Perry at the VMA's last year? Sometimes people just do stuff to DO It. The album was never even mentioned in the interview or anything.

Read back what you bolded.  I said nobody had fun WATCHING that.  Obviously the performers had fun, but I bet they wouldn't be smiling so much if they watched the replay.

Okay, you got me.  Slash does everything just for fun, cares nothing about exposure or selling himself.  The fact that he has a solo album coming out this year has nothing to do with him showing up on American Idol, the Grammy's, the Super Bowl.  All just mere coincidences.

Thanks for setting me straight.  ok

Yes I know, and I said I had fun and I know others who did too. You are being a pompous jackass. I didn't say he does EVERYTHING for fun. Of course he has to expose himself and stay in the loop. He hosted American Idol a year ago , he was on the grammys for 30 seconds. Really if he is doing it for the purpose of selling records he really sucks at it. It's a mix of both but a lot of people here make it seem like the man is a jaded dick who is in it for nothing more than money.

All in all it is just opinion nothing is  fact , we simply DON'T know and we all just assume. I mean for christ's sake some are blaming his WIFE. Slash has been doing these things for a very long time he played with P.Diddy and Cypress Hill long before VR....

I think it's understood that every apperance made by a celebrity is to expose themselves and further their name , but sometimes those apperances are fun for the parties involved.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »

So nice of you to resort to insults. It's so becoming of you.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: