Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 05:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash To Perform At Grammy Awards Show Tonight  (Read 34767 times)
Shaggins13
Headliner

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »

Here's my two cents: That was embarrassing for everyone - including the fans.  Whether you are neutral, on "Axl's side" or on "Slash's side" it was a pittaful attempt to remain "in the limelight."

I love old GNR and the current lineup.  I've always found it pathetic for Slash to be playing old GNR songs with popstars or whomever will "jam" with him.  It's almost like he's screaming "HEY, REMEMBER ME?!?!  I PLAYED THIS SONG BACK IN THE DAY & I'M STILL HERE!"  LOL

On another note: That song in particular was a poor choice.  November Rain is a quintissential "AXL" song.  I believe Axl has full writing credit as well.  While Slash played the solo on Illusion I, it will always be - at least in my mind -- an "Axl song."  Therefore, in my opinion, Slash knows full well that it just might get under Axl's skin to see him playing "HIS" song on such a large stage, which only furthers the rift between them. 

To quote Simon Cowell - "A terrible song choice..."
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:28 PM »

I also feel like throwing in my two cents... Wink

I'm a big fan of Slash - I think he's an amazing guitarist. However, this performance really did nothing for me and I did find myself cringing during the minute or so that he was onstage.  That aside, I am looking forward to the release of his new album.

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »

Certainly I can understand keeping your name out there. I just wish he would choose these collaborations a little more carefully. Trying to play a guitar solo over that Jamie Foxx/T-Pain Alcohol song just sounds like a mess on paper and that's where the idea should have died.

Also, I'm not sure how much Slash is establishing HIS brand and image when he constantly references GNR in some of these things he does.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »

I believe Axl has full writing credit as well.

No. Axl,Slash,Izzy and Duff have writing credit on it.
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

So nice of you to resort to insults. It's so becoming of you.

I'm not insulting you. You are insinuating that I think Slash does everything for "fun" which is not the case at all.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »

Also, I'm not sure how much Slash is establishing HIS brand and image when he constantly references GNR in some of these things he does.

because thats what he is known for? same image when being the lead guitarist of the world biggest band in the early 90s!

Re-Union time, baby!!
troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »

My opinion - didn't like this collaboration, but I like that these other "stars" recognize the talent and want to perform with him.  I also like that Slash can be open-minded.  And the beginning operatic part to the song was funny.  Agreed that auto-tune has had its time and now needs to go away.  Love the fact that I'm On A Boat was nominated - that shit is hilarious!  I think the best performance of the night was Pink.  Laslty - how the fuck can Black Ice be nominated for anything?  Not to mention songs from Death Magnetic or Black Ice?  Didn't they both come out in Sepetember of 2008???

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »

embarrassing for the fans, insulting for the band.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
domi
Kashmir
Rocker

Vae Victis!

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »

How would that be an insult for the band?
I mean, the performance was weak and the solo doesn't fit the song at all, but some of you take this way too serious.

Omne ius hominum causa constitutum.
(Hermogenian, D. 1,5,2)
WTTJ_91
Rocker

« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

How would that be an insult for the band?
I mean, the performance was weak and the solo doesn't fit the song at all, but some of you take this way too serious.

QFT

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »

I love old GNR and the current lineup.  I've always found it pathetic for Slash to be playing old GNR songs with popstars or whomever will "jam" with him.  It's almost like he's screaming "HEY, REMEMBER ME?!?!  I PLAYED THIS SONG BACK IN THE DAY & I'M STILL HERE!"  LOL

I was thinking that same exact thing earlier. He seems very much to want people to remember he was in GNR back in the day even though he has "moved on from guns"
widevu
Headliner

I used to do a little

« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »

Compared with Axl's disaster at the VMA's 2002, this was an OK performance ...
And ... he played it in the right tone of that song, jammed a little bit, that's also Slash.
Not that I'm a fan of this thing but he played he's part good. Nothing wrong with it.

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

OMG, Slash played live on a bad song!!!!!  KILL HIM, KILL HIM AT ONCE!!!!    Roll Eyes

It's not just that he played on a bad song, but with a bunch of completely lame, talentless wannabes. Jaime Foxx is a good actor and that's what he should stick to. Slash is starting to become a joke, and he's already proven to be a hypocrite. Teenage Slash would've bitchslapped the sell-out Slash we see now.

this is true.. but i dont care about that.   Its to be expected these das.

only thing that bothers me is the whoring of a classic Guns N' Roses song (which he admittedly didn't like or want to do) like this and butchering it with Jamie Foxx.

Just like that Paradise City bullshit that was released with Cypress Hill/Fergie.  Dude should focus on his own songs.

I told u a couple of months ago.. Paradise City doesn't bother me, cause that song has been so commercialized, I have no attachment to it.. so he can play it with whomever..same with SCOM after Sheryl Crow and Taken By Trees covered it

NR and Estranged are no no's to me that u  just don't fuck with. Especially with that terrible autotune stuff.

I hate Black Eye Peas, Hate Jamie Foxx and all those want to be musicians with no talent

so this pisses me off cause Slash is my favorite guitar player of all time and I will defend him on most stuff.. This makes it very hard to defend him against people.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »

And ... he played it in the right tone of that song, jammed a little bit, that's also Slash.
Not that I'm a fan of this thing but he played he's part good. Nothing wrong with it.

Nah, bad comparison... Axl picked it up enough on Madagascar and Paradise City to make up for it.. Jungle started out great till he blew himself up with the adrenaline spike.

Slash on this was terrible for multiple reasons

1. he is playing with shitty people
2. The song he is playing on sucks
3. His guitar tone and volume was terrible on this.
4. It is an all time great song u just don't fuck with

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #114 on: February 01, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

You just cant be serious...

when you think you've heard it all from slash fans, you come one random day to this forum and you find something like this.

But what surprises me even more is the guy giving writing credits to some other dudes apart from Axl in November Rain.

Axl wrote it all, idea/concept/music/lyrics. Just everything. Then there was a band instrumentally adapting that idea to give the song a concrete form. But November Rain is the biggest of all Axl's babies. There are multiple quotes and references proving NR was Axl's biggest obsession, that he worked on it for years, and that he didnt want any kind of help to finish it from nobody. I thought this was one of the clearest things among newbie GNR fans, but it seems its not EVEN in a place for real/hardcore fans like this one.

November Rain is probably the best example of an Axl Rose solo song. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:15:54 PM by estebanf » Logged

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #115 on: February 01, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »

Why do Slash,Duff,Izzy have writing credits on it then? Did Axl just decide to be a pal and throw their name on as writers so they could get paid on it as well. Seems highly unlikely if they did nothing to deserve writing credits.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

Why do Slash,Duff,Izzy have writing credits on it then? Did Axl just decide to be a pal and throw their name on as writers so they could get paid on it as well. Seems highly unlikely if they did nothing to deserve writing credits.

I dont know yours, but my UYI 1 booklet clearly says ''Rose'' in it.

And if you're looking into ASCAP or something like that, I have to let you know that Steven Adler has writing credits there in several songs, and we all know he didn't write a damn shit for guns.

''but he wrote the drumming''... oh yeah... and Ringo wrote the drumming for Yesterday and Hey Jude... come on...

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »

And if you're looking into ASCAP or something like that

I always defer to ASCAP over booklets. Artists don't write entire songs all by themselves and then split the pot by listing a bunch of people who didn't contribute in a substantive way just for fun.
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:49 PM »

Oh....wow....amazing...

Slash essentially played the solo from November Rain....

My freakin' hero

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »

I didn't see anything wrong with it. This kind of stuff happens ALL the time at the Grammy's. Look at many past preformances.  The November Rain solo mixed in well with the song, surprisingly well. I'm not a huge rap fan, or a fan of the whole rock/rap scene, but I thought that was cool that Slash was able to play with those guys. I don't think he needs the PR, but he is releasing an album soon enough. Call it selling out if you want to, but if I wrote one of the biggests and more recognizable solo's in history I would want to preform it when I could...When was the last time he did that live?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: