Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction  (Read 33979 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:39 PM »

Velvet is in a period of downtime right now, and perhaps we will one day get a new singer.

This record is on his own terms, with no band members to deal with. I get it. I think maybe we all needed a break after what went down with us.

I have never spoken or written about this, because things of this nature are just so often better left alone...We are all friends in VR, don't get me wrong, but with all the different issues that plagued us, we all just needed to do something else for a while, I suppose.

After reading these quotes it sounds like there may have been issues other than Scott.  And "perhaps" we will one day get a new singer.  Undecided

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »

Velvet is in a period of downtime right now, and perhaps we will one day get a new singer.

This record is on his own terms, with no band members to deal with. I get it. I think maybe we all needed a break after what went down with us.

I have never spoken or written about this, because things of this nature are just so often better left alone...We are all friends in VR, don't get me wrong, but with all the different issues that plagued us, we all just needed to do something else for a while, I suppose.

After reading these quotes it sounds like there may have been issues other than Scott.  And "perhaps" we will one day get a new singer.  Undecided

Good observation.  He did say that there were "different" issues plaguing them, i.e. not just Scott-related issues.

Ali
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »

Jane's Addiction's Stephen Perkins on Duff McKagan, band future

"Duff is one of us now"

Joe Bosso, Wed 7 Apr 2010

Jane's Addiction drummer Stephen Perkins says that the addition of bassist Duff McKagan to the band has given the volatile outfit "fresh energy. We feel really together now, very unified."

Given that, over their 25-year-career, Jane's Addiction have broken up not once but twice, and have seen a number of bass players (Flea, Chris Chaney) fill in during various reunions, "a nice shot of vitamin B," as Perkins describes McKagan, the ex-bassist for Guns N' Roses and apparently still an active member of the equally troubled Velvet Revover, seems like just what Jane's needs as they embark on the making of a new album, their first since 2003's Strays.

That McKagan was joining Jane's Addiction has been the subject of much media speculation during the past few months - even while the group were preparing for a February-March Australian tour with original bassist Eric Avery, who at the beginning of the jaunt was giving signals via Twitter that he might not be long for the band.

As soon as the run ended, word that McKagan was stepping in began to circulate in earnest, and in the last week guitarist Dave Navarro made the worst-kept-secret in rock official: Avery was out yet again, and McKagan was working with the group, not merely as a temp player but a full-time member.

Yesterday, Stephen Perkins sat down with MusicRadar to give us the scoop on how McKagan came to join Jane's Addiction, and he discussed the different dynamic the "rough and tough" bassist was bringing to the new batch of songs the group are setting out to record.

As always, there's lots of drama in the Jane's Addiction camp, huh?

"Yeah. I can't say we were surprised - it takes a lot to surprise us anymore. But now Duff has come into our lives and it's wonderful. Of course, we've known Duff for quite a while, even going back to his GN'R days. We never viewed Guns N' Roses as competition or anything. Back in the day, Jane's was always hanging out with the Chili Peppers and Fishbone and bands like that, whereas GN'R were a bit more on the Sunset Strip."

You say that Duff came in and jammed with you guys, but how exactly did that come to be? What was the process of getting him involved?

"A lot of things contributed to the process. Dave and Duff have done a lot of shows with Camp Freddy [the side project led by Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum], and they got on well. Last year, I participated in an instructional DVD about how drummers and bass players interact. For some cosmic reason, Duff and I chose each other and we sat in front of the camera and did a couple of things. At the same time, Perry started hanging out with Duff. So like I said, it was synchronicity; it all fell into place without us trying to make it happen. Rather than us looking around for a bass player or taking out ads or something, the obvious choice was right there."

How does this work with Duff living in Seattle? Is he around enough to be a part of the band?

"Oh yeah. He travels back and forth. The work ethic has been fantastic. He's definitely here for us when we need him, no question. He gets in the room with us and works out songs, then he takes tapes home - he's there. He's been a nice shot of vitamin B."

What kind of commitment has Duff offered you guys? There hasn't been any kind of formal announcement from Velvet Revolver as to him 'leaving' per se.

"Well, Duff knows how fragile bands are. But he's in for the ride, I know that."

But has he told you that he's out of Velvet Revolver and he's with Jane's Addiction fully?

"I think he might be getting ready to say something in the column he writes for the Seattle Weekly. I know he's with us. He's one of us. Jane's Addiction is now the four of us: Perry, Dave, Duff and myself. Duff's a full-time member and he's ready to bite off as much as we are. What that ultimately means for the future of Velvet Revolver, I don't know."

Complete interview here: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/janes-addictions-stephen-perkins-on-duff-mckagan-band-future-243049

sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »

Well at least he finally addressed the issue. ok
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »

really good news

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Suspect Zero
Opening Act

« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »

Cool  Grin
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:35:26 AM by Suspect Zero » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »

Inside the New Jane?s Addiction: Duff McKagan on Band?s Plans

4/13/10, 10:04 am EST

This past December, former Guns n? Roses bassist Duff McKagan was having dinner with Jane?s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell. ?He was kind of bummed,? says McKagan. ?He had just heard that [original Jane?s Addiction bassist] Eric Avery was leaving the band.? McKagan offered to jam with Jane?s at Farrell?s home studio and within weeks was hired for the vacant bass position. ?We?re from the same musical time, the same town, the same era,? says guitarist Dave Navarro. ?It was a natural fit.?

A brief history of Jane?s Addiction, in photos.

Jane?s Addiction reunited in 2008 with Avery for the first time since the band initially split in 1991, but after a recent Australian tour, the bassist exited once again. ?It was a decision Eric made,? says Navarro. ?He?s focused on making a solo record.? McKagan adds, ?I don?t have years of history with this band. So there?s no like, ?Oh, what happened to that chick in 1989?? still twenty-fucking-five years later. Everything?s been great.?

The group is taking it slowly for now, spending most of its time jamming at its L.A. rehearsal space. ?I?ve never been in a band I wasn?t in from the beginning,? says McKagan. ?So to play songs like ?Been Caught Stealing? is pretty fucking kickass.? Jane?s are working on their first album since 2003?s Strays and plan to launch a world tour in 2011. For now, they are focused on writing new songs.

?That?s 97 percent of what our time is geared towards,? McKagan says. ?When I first sent some songs to Perry they were the in the usual style that I write music ? verse, chorus, chorus, bridge, double chorus, etc. If you listen to a great Jane?s Addiction song, though, there?s no chorus! It?s just riff, and then it goes into some psychedelic jam. I?ve had to learn to sort of adapt as a songwriter. I just have to bring in a riff. Some snarling, mean, dark and dismal riff, that?s going to be our thing.?

The new gig comes at the perfect time for McKagan since his last band, Velvet Revolver ? which split with singer Scott Weiland in 2008 ? is on an hiatus. ?Slash is going to be touring [behind his new solo album] for at least the next year, and I can?t afford to just wait around and see if something?s going to happen,? McKagan says. ?These are my years to do something. I?m probably at my peak creatively, and I want to use it. I?m blessed to be able to get that chance now.?

Rolling Stone

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »

From Dave Navarro:

3. If you can, how would you describe the sound and vibe of the new material? Is it comparable to the early sound or Strays era? How has the evolved and what does Duff bring to the table? Thanks!

It is too early to really tell. We have been writing, recording rough demos and moving forward without really going back over stuff. It?s been more of: Here is an idea or song? record? Here is another? record? etc? When I say ?record? I mean we just press record and document the structure or ideas. Duff has been great to work with. Really solid song writing and a creative and dedicated work ethic. We mainly spend our days briefly going over old stuff and then delving into the new.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »

New Jane?s Addiction lineup announces debut shows

APRIL 19TH, 2010

The new look Jane?s Addiction have announced plans for two performances this summer, set to take place on June 9th in Arnhem, The Netherlands and June 11th at Madrid?s Rock in the Rio Music Festival. The performances will mark the debut for the band?s current configuration of frontman Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins, and new bassist Duff McKagan, who is best known for his work with Guns N? Roses and Velvet Revolver.

As previously reported, Jane?s Addiction is currently working on its yet-to-be-titled fourth studio album. Speaking recently with Rolling Stone, McKagan revealed that the bands is currently focused on writing new songs with plans to launch a world tour in 2011. So, think of these two tour dates as a taste of what?s to come.

Jane?s Addiction 2010 Tour Dates:

06/09 ? Arnhem, NL @ GelreDome
06/11 ? Madrid, ES @ Rock in Rio Madrid

Pre-sale info. here: http://www.janesaddiction.com/upcoming

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »

This does complicate things doesnt it. Now at least we all cant blame everything on Scott. But then again everyone in a band or anything has issues it just depends what happens to bring up those issues.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2010, 08:03:28 PM »

Perry Farrell Reveals Possible Title for New Jane's Addiction Album

Posted on Apr 23rd 2010

Almost a quarter century ago when Jane's Addiction and Guns 'N' Roses ruled different sides of the L.A. scene, there was a natural rivalry between the two. But there was always a begrudging respect that eventually turned into friendship, and now the two bands have finally joined parts with Duff McKagan stepping in as bassist for Jane's next studio album, due in 2011. And Jane's frontman Perry Farrell tells Spinner the pairing is a perfect one.

"We came up together. We had the exact experience in the same city, being in a rock band that was breaking big," Farrell says. "We came up through that, all the seediness and the debauchery, so it's all there. I couldn't have asked for a better partner, I'll tell you that right now."

McKagan brings a lot to the table, through his experience with Guns and Velvet Revolver, as well as frontman experience of his own with Loaded, but with everybody having been friends for years there are no egos involved. "He writes, he's cool, he's considerate, he's respectful, he gives space, he's positive, he's intelligent," Farrell says. "He's a star."

With Jane's enjoying their honeymoon phase with a new member, the new album is coming together great. "We've got maybe seven great songs and they just keep coming," Farrell says. And what are some of the standouts so far? "There's one song, 'Top Dog,' I like. There's one, 'Oh Magic,' and then there's another one called 'The Art of Great Escape.' I'm thinking of calling the record 'The Great Escape Artist,'" he says.

As for that possible album title, it's a reflection of Farrell, the great party host who leads his guests to escapism. "This is the great escape around," Farrell adds, pointing to the scenic desert and palm trees that surround him backstage at Coachella. "This is about the great escape artist. Just by itself -- done, great, perfect."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/04/23/perry-farrell-janes-addiction-new-album-duff-mckagan/

Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

Gonna be intersting to see how this ends up.

Joe

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2010, 04:36:56 PM »

From Dave Navarro:

Jane's Addiction writing and rehearsal day

There MAY be a secret LA event soon and I MAY give 2 tickets away... Stay tuned Smiley

about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »

First official show with Duff...

Jane's Addiction to Rock Hollywood on Cinco de Mayo

Posted on May 3rd 2010

Jane's Addiction have announced an intimate one-off Cinco de Mayo gig in Los Angeles for this Wednesday, May 5. The show, to be held at the Bardot in Hollywood, will mark the live debut of newest member, Duff McKagan, the former Guns N' Roses bassist who joins original members Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro and Stephen Perkins.

Entrance to the gig is free but limited to just 100 fans. Doors open at 10PM PT, so anyone hoping to get in better show up extremely early.

The Bardot show is presumably a warm-up for the band's June European gigs. Jane's will join Rage Against the Machine in London on June 6 as support for their free gig in Finsbury Park. The band will also join Rage for a show slated for the Gelredome in Arnhem in the Netherlands on June 9 and an appearance at Rock in Rio Madrid on June 11.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/05/03/janes-addiction-hollywood-cinco-de-mayo/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:21 PM »

Duff with Jane's Addiction:

Setlist:

Stop!
Mountain Song
Had a Dad
Soulmate [new song]
Whores
Pigs in Zen
Ain?t No Right
Ocean Size

Videos:

New song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAwHPII5w-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJB32HWN4DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wusd5ISgTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNEx5PmQ9s

Photos: http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&assetType=image&p=Jane's%20Addiction%20Cinco%20De%20Mayo

Review: http://www.spin.com/articles/janes-addiction-play-intimate-surprise-show

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »

Duff Mckagan - Mckagan's Jane's Addiction Debut Doubles As Wife's Birthday Party

Rockers JANE'S ADDICTION debuted new bandmate DUFF MCKAGAN at a seven-song, fan-only show in Los Angeles on Wednesday night (05May10), which doubled as a birthday party for the bassist's wife.

The group took the stage at tiny Hollywood nightclub Bardot and performed a series of fan favourites and one new track, called Soulmate.

Rockers Tom Morello and Matt Sorum were among the fans and friends that packed the club to watch MCKagan's first public show as a member of the band. He has replaced founding member Eric Avery in the line-up.

Avery quit the reunited group earlier this year (10).

Jane's Addiction frontman Perry Farrell halted the show midway through to lead a chorus of Happy Birthday and present MCKagan's wife, Susan, with a cake.

The singer appeared to be thrilled with his new line-up and their decision to play at Bardot, housed within the fabled Avalon theatre.

He ended the show by telling fans and friends, "This is one of the great structures in California. Elvis has hung out in this place."

A few photos here: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/mckagans-janes-addiction-debut-doubles-as-wifes-birthday-party_1141644

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »

From a press release issued today...

Jane?s Addiction is now continuing to write for their next album, tentatively due out in the winter of 2011 on Capitol and to be supported by a worldwide concert tour.

Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2010, 03:47:12 AM »

hard to concentrate on VR until at least 2013 for Duff...

Re-Union time, baby!!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

HA! That keeps getting pushed back doesn't it. I'd say Duff is done with VR or they're done altogether.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »

HA! That keeps getting pushed back doesn't it. I'd say Duff is done with VR or they're done altogether.
That is a possiblility but I seriously doubt it. Seems more like a part time kind of deal Duff will be around for this album and probobly some of the dates on the tour but I dont see him doing any real long term stuff besides being a friend and shit like that.

Joe

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: