Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:23:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228528 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction  (Read 33989 times)
sleeper
Rocker

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »

eh this kind of blows, never liked Janes Addiction, hate Perry's whiny vocals.  And no one that has ever picked up a guitar in their lives has the slightest amount of respect for Dave Navarro as a player.  Ill give them a fair shot now that Duff is in the band though...I hope this doesnt effect Loaded or VR though.

It is not just PF's voice that bothers me it is the way he moves around on stage that bothers me also. Oh well it is a done deal now. As is to weather it will effect VR/LOADED that remains to be seen. I am not sure how any artist (even Duff) can be in 3 bands at one time.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »

And no one that has ever picked up a guitar in their lives has the slightest amount of respect for Dave Navarro as a player. 

Hahahaha that's so funny considering he was also in the Chili Peppers and Axl himself wanted him to join Guns right after Izzy quit!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »

I don't really see Jane's Addiction as a HUGE commitment timewise.  They haven't really been writing, touring, etc. consistently for years, have they?  So maybe they go on for a year or two and then Duff is free to focus on Loaded, VR, or whatever else he may choose.  Bottom line is VR is a LONG way off.  It's been pretty clear to me that that's been the case ever since Slash was making plans for his solo album  He's showing no signs of slowing down on that front.  Duff is keeping busy.  As long as they're happy.

Too bad the Jane's/GNR tour rumors didn't turn out to be true.  That would've been great even without Duff, but add him to the mix and that would've been fantastic.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »

I'm happy that Duff is back playing in a bigger band again during VR's downtime, but I was still hoping Loaded would make their way to Australia in support of Sick. Guess that's not happening anytime soon...

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »

And no one that has ever picked up a guitar in their lives has the slightest amount of respect for Dave Navarro as a player. 

Hahahaha that's so funny considering he was also in the Chili Peppers and Axl himself wanted him to join Guns right after Izzy quit!

hows that funny?  Every guitar player I know thinks he is a joke.  He's got no chops whatsoever.  Its no coincidence that "One hot minute" was the worst Chili pepper album.  As far as replacing Izzy, that would have been fine, cause Izzy is a rhythm player, Navarro could have handled that, as Gilby did.  But as far as a lead guitar player, he is a joke.  There is a video on youtube of Dave Mustaine showing Navarro a few things on guitar and Navarro looks dumbfounded and even admits it.  Now thats a little unfair considering Dave Mustaine is one of the most technically skilled guitar players in the history of rock/metal music, but still.  Go ask some people who know a few things about guitar and then get back to me, you may be surprised by some of their reactions.  Is he the worst player on earth? no, but he is more in like the Mick Mars league of playing, not terrible but far from great.  Navarro is 90% concerned with his "image" and about 10% concerned with his playing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:22:05 PM by Bodhi » Logged
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »

I loved One Hot Minute, and there is some great guitar playing on there. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »

hows that funny?  Every guitar player I know thinks he is a joke.  He's got no chops whatsoever.  Its no coincidence that "One hot minute" was the worst Chili pepper album.  As far as replacing Izzy, that would have been fine, cause Izzy is a rhythm player, Navarro could have handled that, as Gilby did.  But as far as a lead guitar player, he is a joke.  There is a video on youtube of Dave Mustaine showing Navarro a few things on guitar and Navarro looks dumbfounded and even admits it.  Now thats a little unfair considering Dave Mustaine is one of the most technically skilled guitar players in the history of rock/metal music, but still.  Go ask some people who know a few things about guitar and then get back to me, you may be surprised by some of their reactions.  Is he the worst player on earth? no, but he is more in like the Mick Mars league of playing, not terrible but far from great.  Navarro is 90% concerned with his "image" and about 10% concerned with his playing.

I agree, Dave is a solid player, and can cover some good songs, but like you said, he is more worried about image and isn't a "real deal" rock player like Slash or Zakk, or Jerry Cantrell...  He is solid, but like cover band good. 
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 03:21:13 AM »

He sucked in the Chili's and they all agree that it just didn't work out for him.  He was a heroin addict when Axl wanted him to join Guns and he never replied to them.  He is good, but not great.  i dont know any guitar player influenced by him.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2010, 04:22:41 AM »

dude hate to repeat the old cliche but technicality does not mean shit. navarro writes some really cool shit.. stuff that dave douchebag mustaine couldn't even comprehend.. navarro is  a respectable guitar player who has written some great songs.. hes not a "Cover band" player... and if you think mustaines a technical god, watch him botch the cemetery gates solo on dt's tribute to pantera

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2010, 07:15:01 AM »

Dave Navarro's a fantastic guitarist. And 'One Hot Minute' is the most underrated Chili Peppers album. I really fail to see what everyone's problem is with it.

He's one of the few guitarists that can rip into a metal-style song, as well as do really understated stuff more akin to UK goth rock. It's that aspect, combined with Eric Avery's basslines (and hopefully Duff's now) that makes Jane's Addiction such a great band... in the studio. Everyone in the band is great live, except for Perry Farrell who ruins the entire performance and makes me never want to see them again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:17:21 AM by AxlReznor » Logged
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

dude hate to repeat the old cliche but technicality does not mean shit. navarro writes some really cool shit.. stuff that dave douchebag mustaine couldn't even comprehend.. navarro is  a respectable guitar player who has written some great songs.. hes not a "Cover band" player... and if you think mustaines a technical god, watch him botch the cemetery gates solo on dt's tribute to pantera

hahah I highly doubt that Dave Mustaine would have any trouble comprehending anything that Navarro ever did, other than maybe his shade of eye shadow or feather boas.  You are hilarious.  By the way its not just me who thinks Mustaine is a good technical player, its the guitar playing world.  Go read a Guitar World, or any other music publication where writers are still talking about how "Rust in Peace" was 20 years ahead of its time.  Youre right, what has Mustaine ever done, he only wrote tracks on the first 3 Metallica albums, and started another band that has put out relevant and successful records for 25 straight years.  You are right, he sucks, what does he know about playing guitar?  I guess every guitar critic in the world is wrong on that one. I guess Kerry King, Slash, Zakk Wlyde, James Hetfield, John Petrucci, and Dimebag had no idea what they are talking about when they talked about what a great player Dave is.  I cant believe I am even having this discussion with someone who thinks Dave Navarro is a good guitar player, this is really an insult to my musical intelligence.  Next thing youll be telling me what a great player Mick Mars, Chad Kroeger or that guy from Hinder is.

you are right though technicality isnt everything.  The great ones have good technical ability and the talent to write riffs and songs.  Dave Navarro possesses neither of those.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:21 AM »

Also... Dave Mustaine - like most metal guitarists - is a one trick pony.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »

What trick is that, completely dominating the guitar?  Metallica and Megadeth sound nothing alike guitar wise, and he started both of those bands.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »

What trick is that, completely dominating the guitar?  Metallica and Megadeth sound nothing alike guitar wise, and he started both of those bands.

Speed, speed, speed. That's all most metal guitarists - and especially people like Mustaine - give a shit about. He's shit.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2010, 07:27:55 AM »

I agree, Dave is a solid player, and can cover some good songs, but like you said, he is more worried about image and isn't a "real deal" rock player like Slash or Zakk, or Jerry Cantrell...  He is solid, but like cover band good. 
And Slash isnt image conscious with all his custom leather jackets that probably cost more than my car?

As for Dave, he wasnt image concious when he was in Janes in late 80s early 90s. and i dont give a fuck if people dont class him as a "real deal" rock player. He played some wicked riffs and solos in Janes and when i saw him live he was practically note for note perfect.

Slash is sloppy as hell most of the time live.

html sucks
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »

Speed, speed, speed. That's all most metal guitarists - and especially people like Mustaine - give a shit about. He's shit.

you know nothing about his style then, because he has countless songs that are not about speed.  Metallica is all about speed?  Pantera was all about speed?  Have you actually ever listened to these bands?  You do realize that you saying Dave Mustaine is "shit" completely shoots all of your credibility to hell right?  If you said that in front of actual musicians they would die laughing, because he is anything but shit.  He is a phenomenal player, and does things with a guitar that very few people in the world can do.  The fact that you are saying that and defending Dave Navarro's playing in the same sentence, I have no words for it.

actually here is a video of Dave Mustaine blowing Dave Navarros mind with the "spider chord."  A Mustaine invention that is guitar playing 101 for him, the most basic of Mustaines bag of tricks.  It looks like Navarros head is going to explode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-twpY_XQyg
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:41:43 AM by Bodhi » Logged
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2010, 07:44:45 AM »

Wow, suddenly this thread has become about metal, Mustaine and a host of other stuff. I don't why people insist on comparing their favourite guitarists with other guitarists. Is it like a my dick is bigger than your dick thing? The only thing you can talk about is technical proficiency, as for anything else it depends on the listener. Saying Mustaine is shit or that Navarro can't play guitar is just ridiculous. Either you like JA or you don't. Leave it at that.

Fuck 'Em All.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »

^^ dude, while i most certainly understand that Dave Mustaine is one badass player.

Megadeth have never made an album thats blown me away in there career. Janes Addiction have made 3 albums which are perfection to me...thats stronger than any technical credentials.

I think its pretty easy to say what guitarists are the ultimate n which ones are not. But its the music they make that counts for me. Steve Vai is one technically super player, but his musical output with Dave Lee Roth, and later Whitesnake wernt that good. Infact i dont think his playing style fitted Whitesnake at all, i preferred them when they had John Sykes the dude that was in Thin Lizzy.

Although i must admit....it is funny when you watch those videos of Navarro...a personal favorite of mine is when George Lynch rapes him....

html sucks
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »

Wow, suddenly this thread has become about metal, Mustaine and a host of other stuff. I don't why people insist on comparing their favourite guitarists with other guitarists. Is it like a my dick is bigger than your dick thing? The only thing you can talk about is technical proficiency, as for anything else it depends on the listener. Saying Mustaine is shit or that Navarro can't play guitar is just ridiculous. Either you like JA or you don't. Leave it at that.

I agree.  I am done.  That video I posted above proves everything I need to about my side of the argument.  I made a comment that I did not like Janes Addiction because of Perrys singing and Daves playing, but also said i will give them a fair chance now since Duff is in the band, and then all hell broke loose and this turned into a guitar player war.  I think we should all be more concerned about this taking Duff's time away from Loaded and VR.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »

^ im not concerned haha. Duff in Janes Addiction is potentially one of the best moves hes ever made post GNR.
I hope they put out a good album, i cant wait to hear Duff jammin the shit out of his bass again!

html sucks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: