Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 10:29:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228530 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  GQ Interview Slash's Drug Escapism
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GQ Interview Slash's Drug Escapism  (Read 16522 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 09, 2010, 01:55:23 AM »

SLASH - SLASH'S DRUG ESCAPISM

09 January 2010 05:45:25 AM

Velvet Revolver guitarist Slash has opened up about his heroin addiction, revealing he ''never stopped'' taking the drug because it suited him ''perfectly''.

Slash took heroin because it "complemented" his personality.

The Velvet Revolver rocker has revealed he was drawn to the Class A drug when he was in Guns N' Roses because it suited him "perfectly" and helped him escape reality.

He said: "Heroin was like the ultimate complement to my personality. It just fitted perfectly. Everyone else was doing coke and speed, and made hyper people even more hyper. Whereas heroin just made me more reclusive and quieter. It was just me and my drug.

"It was escapism for me."

However, the legendary musician admits his addiction eventually became out of control.

When asked how much he used to do, he told GQ magazine: "However much I could get my hands on. If I finished a batch, I'd go hunting for it. It never stopped.

"I always injected. It's the only way as far as I'm concerned, go straight to the source."

These days, the 44-year-old rocker - who has two sons with his wife Perla Ferrar - is currently clean of drugs and has also given up alcohol.

Despite his eventful past, Slash admits he has no regrets.

He explained: "I don't miss it at the moment. Three years ago, I got really stressed because Velvet Revolver were in a state, and my marriage was in a state, and I went back down that road for a while, and while it was fun for a minute, it wasn't nearly as much fun as it had been before. I'd just grown out of that lifestyle.

"I don't regret any of it. I don't believe in having regrets. I haven't killed anyone, or anything like that. But I did go into rehab after that, for a month, and I really haven't wanted drugs since then.

"I dropped everything. And I feel good."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/slashs-drug-escapism_1128057
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:43:42 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:17:39 AM »

I read about this about a minute before coming here. I just don't see how you can engage in the things that Slash did and not have regrets. Now I realize you can't go back and change what you've done but I still don't see how you couldn't have regrets. I've never even came close to doing what Slash has done and I still have regrets of my own. I just hope that he doesn't relapse for the sake of his little boys because he seems so crazy about them. As for his marriage, I think that he needs to keep close tabs on that because I've heard that it's still pretty volitile.

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
Ashba Rocks
Headliner

All things are possible, I am unstopable

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »

I read about this about a minute before coming here. I just don't see how you can engage in the things that Slash did and not have regrets. Now I realize you can't go back and change what you've done but I still don't see how you couldn't have regrets. I've never even came close to doing what Slash has done and I still have regrets of my own. I just hope that he doesn't relapse for the sake of his little boys because he seems so crazy about them. As for his marriage, I think that he needs to keep close tabs on that because I've heard that it's still pretty volitile.

Not everyone works the same way, iv never done heroin, but i dont have regrets, many people are the same, but many people regret everything.

back on topic, i dont think the slash heroin story is over yet, if things get messy like really bloody messy legally with axl or something, or VR gets goin again and then fucks up, he may turn back to it. i heard in an interview he has also quit smoking for 8 months. it'll be very strange to see slash on stage with no cig!! its very good thats he's managed to do it, i mean he's been drinkin and smokin and doin drugs since he was young, cant be easy leaving things like that behind

"No one can make you, do what they want to"
kobys
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:50 PM »

Ashba rocks, I hope that you're wrong about Slash not being through with heroin yet. I think that he seems happy and content in his life right now so it would be a damn shame for him to throw it away in the name of heroin or oxycontin.

I'm a Ronald Reagan conservative and damn proud of it!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »

I thought he said that he went to rehab in 2007 for Oxycontin but here it sounds like the problem was heroin -- so was it more than once.

And since he mentioned it, his comment "my marriage was in a state" was a possible reason why he purchased but never moved into the "dream house that wasn't."

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »

I thought he said that he went to rehab in 2007 for Oxycontin but here it sounds like the problem was heroin -- so was it more than once.

Oxycontin is basically synthetic heroin so I think he's just referring to the problem in general.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »

Oxycontin is basically synthetic heroin so I think he's just referring to the problem in general.

Yeah, but here he says "I always injected" which you don't do with Oxycontin and that he went "back down that road" because he "got really stressed because Velvet Revolver were in a state, and my marriage was in a state."

And on the Oxycontin he said...

WW: I read that the most recent trip to rehab was for OxyContin, which is the same thing Rush Limbaugh had a problem with. Is it strange to have anything in common with Rush Limbaugh?

Slash: The thing about OxyContin, the reason it?s so popular these days, is, it?s pretty effective stuff. It?s just like anything else in this new millennium: It?s easy and it?s effective and you don?t have to go through too much to get it if you have the right connections. All the synthetic stuff that?s available now is obviously very popular. But I wouldn?t be able to compare my trip to anybody else?s.

WW: Were you taking it for medicinal reasons? Or was it purely recreational?

Slash: It was recreational (laughs). Actually, it all started off when I went to the doctor to check a fucking torn rotator cuff in my shoulder, and he prescribed me Vicodin. And one thing led to another.

Which led me to believe they were separate -- but I guess they could be related.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:43:58 PM »

More from the GQ Interview:

It's 'the ultimate high'

10 Jan

Slash would rather play his guitar than have sex.

The legendary musician says the best gig he ever played was with Guns N' Roses in Argentina. As the band began playing 'November Rain', it started to pour down and Slash says it was the most memorable moment of his life. Slash, who is married to Perla Ferrar, is adamant strumming his instrument live on stage is far more satisfying than making love.

"Nothing comes close to performing live. It is an out of body experience. Drugs can take you there for a second, and sex has its place, but it's organic and you can have it all the time, so it doesn't really compare."

When asked if he would rather play that gig again or have the best sex of his life, Slash replied in an interview with Britain's GQ magazine: "I'd do the show. I can have the best sex again anyway. But even if I couldn't, I'd still go for that show in Argentina. It was something that all musicians chase, the ultimate high."

Even though Slash ? real name Saul Hudson ? enjoyed playing with Guns N' Roses, he and frontman Axl Rose rowed constantly. The pair fell out during their time in the group and they haven't spoken since 1996. Despite being offered "hundreds of millions" to reform, Slash has ruled out a reunion with his former bandmates.

"When we were on stage we were a real force together. But it got to a point off stage where it was impossible for us to even be in the same room together and create any music. So it's sad that something so good doesn't exist anymore, even though we are both alive and on the same planet. But that's all," he said.

Axl has continued to blast Slash, branding him a "cancer" and claiming he has lost his musical edge. However, the 44-year-old rocker has refused to let the jibes upset him.

He said: "It doesn't hurt me now. It would have done when we worked together. But now I'm obviously just the thorn in his side because I am continuing to do my thing musically and he isn't."

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/2156280.htm

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 08:23:13 PM »

But now I'm obviously just the thorn in his side because I am continuing to do my thing musically and he isn't."

Hmm, that was an odd statement. And one that I'm sure will lead to another long and pointless argument. Woop! Cheesy

Seriously though, I wonder what he meant? Probably just a reference to the time taken to release CD or something. And regarding the rain during NR, I thought that was another country? Colombia maybe? I'm sure it was South America. I can't remember right now, but I'm sure Axl has mentioned that particular moment too. If it's the same show of course....

(God, I'm picking holes in things Slash is saying, what am I doing? Tongue j/k)

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 11:44:53 PM »

But now I'm obviously just the thorn in his side because I am continuing to do my thing musically and he isn't."

Hmm, that was an odd statement. And one that I'm sure will lead to another long and pointless argument. Woop! Cheesy

Seriously though, I wonder what he meant? Probably just a reference to the time taken to release CD or something. And regarding the rain during NR, I thought that was another country? Colombia maybe? I'm sure it was South America. I can't remember right now, but I'm sure Axl has mentioned that particular moment too. If it's the same show of course....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ARpGUX1w4

You think this is the show?  Is it raining here?

This must be it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVFbHYDZvtI
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 11:51:46 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »

Seriously though, I wonder what he meant?

probably just a bitchy remark giving some of the things Axl said of him.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:46 AM »

I think he meant that he has doing music continually through the years, whereas Axl was working on his CD.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:26 PM »

Just to clarify, he was shooting the Oxycontin. This is all in his book

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »

Just to clarify, he was shooting the Oxycontin. This is all in his book

Really...wow.

Still sounds like they could be separate incidents, but I'm not sure.  Between the rehab trips of Matt, Scott and Slash -- it gets a little confusing.

AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 07:40:32 AM »

I think he meant that he has doing music continually through the years, whereas Axl was working on his CD.

Axl was working on his music continuously through the years, too. It's just he hasn't released as much as Slash.
I'd personally rather have one great album, than one great album and three lacklustre ones... 100% greatness is far better than 25%.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:27 AM »

Axl was working on his music continuously through the years, too. It's just he hasn't released as much as Slash.
I'd personally rather have one great album, than one great album and three lacklustre ones... 100% greatness is far better than 25%.

well thats just personal opinions though even though id kind of agree with you.  i know some people that seem to love snakepit but i never have.
I really loved Contraband, thought it was awesome but some of my friends that liked snakepit weren't into it.
I also like many parts of Libertad although its not a complete album for me. 

i think Slash is kind of referring to the stop/start nature to GNR these days.  A tour is followed by a year of silence, then an album and another year of silence, then a tour.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:15 AM »

I love CB and think it is one of the best albums of the 21st century.. Libertad is ok..... I hate Snakepit

I think he was just throwing a little jab cause i think that Cancer comment did hurt him, so that is a passive aggressive way of trying to ruffle some feathers.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »

I love CB and think it is one of the best albums of the 21st century.. Libertad is ok..... I hate Snakepit

I think he was just throwing a little jab cause i think that Cancer comment did hurt him, so that is a passive aggressive way of trying to ruffle some feathers.

yeah seems to be.  Especially since his mom died of cancer not long afterwards.

Ashba Rocks
Headliner

All things are possible, I am unstopable

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »

I think he meant, that he has just got on with it and done his thing instead of hangin round for axl to answer/pick up the phone, where as axl has done CD is however many years it is, but he has never gone outside of the GNR name except with guest appearing on bachs album or whatever.

I wouldnt say slash has lost his musical edge, imo great guitar playing on IFOCS, ALG is good, CB was great Libertad, i wasnt a fan of it, he's done some good guest work aswell, street child noticably, so i think he hasnt "lost his musical edge" i think its just when two people like slash and axl get together, things just click and trhey make fuckin amazing music!

like imo i think CD would be better with slash on it, but  there u go, its all opinionated

"No one can make you, do what they want to"
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »

A little more from this interview:

SLASH BACKS PLANT'S DECISION LEAVE LED ZEPPELIN BEHIND

Former GUNS N' ROSES rocker SLASH has backed ROBERT PLANT's decision not to reform LED ZEPPELIN after the band's one-off reunion gig in 2007.
The legendary band came back together for a concert in London, with Jason Bonham replacing his late dad John on drums.
But Plant refused to resurrect Led Zeppelin for a comeback tour, even though the other members were keen to hit the road again.
And Slash is convinced the singer made the right decision, because a series of sell-out global gigs would have ruined the magic of the band's reunion.
He tells Britain's GQ magazine, "When Robert Plant said he didn't want to tour after the comeback show, I thought that was the right thing. It was a special night, so why ruin it?"

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: