Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:32:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161921 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #820 on: October 23, 2010, 01:14:39 AM »

I know it would be super risky and maybe a dumb move.. but wonder if Texas entertained the idea of moving Cliff Lee up for game 6 to go against the inexperienced Phil Hughes?

If they did that though and somehow lost. You would have Pettite vs. Lewis in game 7. Huge advantage yanks.
Thaaaaaaa Rangers win!  Totally outplayed the Yankees in every facet of the game.  Well deserved.  And I don't think you gave Colby Lewis enough credit.  He pitched great tonight AND in game 2, but especially tonight.  The guy is no slouch.  He had a 3.72 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, a .227 BAA, almost a strikeout per inning (196 K's in 201 IP) this season.  Pretty damn good numbers.  His record was subpar because he got very poor run support.  That happens sometimes. 

Anyways, congrats to the Rangers.  On to the World Series.  Even though Philly is at home now, and I think they are a better team than the Giants, I think San Fran will prevail.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #821 on: October 23, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »

Phils may be the better team but just like the yanks were probably the better team their offense got shutdown by great pitching.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #822 on: October 24, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »

Not quite sure what to think about how the post season has played out thus far.

Obviously the Yanks and Phils were huge disappointments with the Rangers and Giants just outplaying both, but that's baseball - anything can happen in a short series..

Moving onto the WS, not extremely interested in the matchup but will pay loose attention.

With my national league allegiance, I'll probably be pulling for the Giants and hoping for a crisp, well played series.  That said, I'm gonna pick the Rangers in 7, it just feels like their time.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #823 on: October 24, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »

I'm gonna root for the Giants. If the Phils had advanced i would've rooted for the Rangers. I think that Giant rotation is just as good or better then the Rangers.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #824 on: October 24, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »

Could this be one of the lowest rated World Series in recent memory?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #825 on: October 25, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »

Thaaaaaaa Rangers win!  Totally outplayed the Yankees in every facet of the game.  Well deserved.  And I don't think you gave Colby Lewis enough credit.  He pitched great tonight AND in game 2, but especially tonight.  The guy is no slouch.  He had a 3.72 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, a .227 BAA, almost a strikeout per inning (196 K's in 201 IP) this season.  Pretty damn good numbers.  His record was subpar because he got very poor run support.  That happens sometimes. 

Anyways, congrats to the Rangers.  On to the World Series.  Even though Philly is at home now, and I think they are a better team than the Giants, I think San Fran will prevail.

The Rangers played well.

The Yankees played poorly, though, too.  Some of that was the Rangers pitching, but I wouldn't say "most of it".

The thing that killed the Yankees was that they pitched horribly, from top to bottom.  The only starter who had a decent outing was Andy.  The bullpen, which had looked very good late in the season (and in the Twins series) couldn't manage to get out of it's own way.  It was HORRIBLE ball.

Combine that with an outbreak of "coldbatitis" by the Yanks (and no, I don't think that was 100% caused by Ranger pitching....pitchers who had been eminently hittable vs the Yanks in previous outtings), an extension of something we saw late in the season.  Short of Cano and Granderson, the entire clubhouse couldn't hit their weights.

And, let's face it, Washington outmanaged Girardi...big time.  Girardi and Cashman took a clear advantage (Lee not being able to go until game 3) and turned it into a disadvantage by lining up the rotation in a completely non-sensical manner.  Why is Andy pitching game 3?  Why is AJ pitching game 4?  Why you would want to set your rotation up so you can win the "Cliff Lee" battle, rather than win the series, still confuses me.  And that doesn't even begin to get into the ways Girardi gummed up during the games (not bringing in Mo in close games, late...leaving starters...like AJ...too long, etc).  Yanks are going to give this guy a new deal....and it just boggles my mind after the way he managed down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Finally, the Yanks need to find another solution at catcher.  Posada is clearly not able to be the every day catcher anymore....his defense cost us too many runs, and his bat (now) doesn't seem to make up for it.  And Cervelli wasn't much better.

It's hard to be disappointed in a season where the team went to the ALCS and played 6 games before losing.  I'd give them a solid B and call it a success.  But there were a couple of moves that did NOT work out this season:  The Javy experiment was an EPIC failure (and, still, I think the singlemost reason they didn't win the ALCS).  Not acquiring Lee at the Trade deadline (even though Seattle was more than a bit underhanded in the deal), no matter what the cost was, is another.  Allowing an aging Posada to dictate his place on the team is still another. 

As for the World series:  That sound you heard coming from the MLB front office on Saturday night was the gasp of horror realizing they are going to get a Rangers/Giants WS.  I expect ratings will be deplorable, and MLB will take a huge revenue hit....which is too bad, because these two teams are fun to watch, and it's going to be a good series.  I'm pulling for the Rangers....simply based on the fact they've never won one before.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:18:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #826 on: October 25, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »

Hey pilf, what's the latest word on Jeter's contract demands - $'s/years?

The guy's gotta stay a Yank but at mutually beneficial numbers, correct?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #827 on: October 25, 2010, 11:09:36 AM »

According to one report, his market value is $7million. Though, he will get north of $20 I think - he can't take the pride hit that A-Rod may be worth more than him.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #828 on: October 25, 2010, 12:13:21 PM »

Jeter may not be the player he was, but he's still valuable to the Yankees from a marketing perspective.  Certainly much of the team's female fan base exists because of Jeter.  So when they extend him, they'll also extend the provision in his contract prohibiting him from getting married.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #829 on: October 25, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »

I don't think Jeter's going to have to negotiate.  The Yanks are going to make him an offer WAY above what anyone else will...probably to the tune of 4 and 60/65.  I doubt he'll get 80...but I suppose it's possible.

Mo will probably get 2 for 26-30.

And I think those two get done prior to free agency even going into effect.

Andy, if he wants to come back, will get another 1 year deal, probably at close to what he made this year.  THAT probably won't happen until December or January...because Andy won't decide what he wants to do until around then.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 01:56:34 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #830 on: October 25, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »

Interesting Yankee press conference going on right now:

Andy was injured in the post season, dealing with back and leg problems...which is why they pitched him in game 3 of the ALCS, not game 2.  That helps explain what I considered one of the big "mistakes" by Cash and Girardi...but not the placement of AJ Burnett.

Dave Eiland will not be returning as the Yanks pitching coach.  Cashman fired him, though he says the reason he let him go is "private".  Given the uneven performance of the staff this year....I can't say I'm shocked.  Cashman insists that's not the whole reason.....color me skeptical.  Maybe some of it has to do with those "personal reasons" he took the LOA for....

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #831 on: October 25, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »

Is Werth or Crawford a possibility for the Yankees or are they sticking with Gardner / Granderson / Swisher? 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #832 on: October 25, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Mike Francessa said on his show the other day that the Yanks will make a play for Werth.  Supposedly the Angels are going to go hard after Crawford, and he'd like to play there.  The Red Sox will most likely be involved with both players as well.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #833 on: October 25, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »

I don't think Jeter's going to have to negotiate.  The Yanks are going to make him an offer WAY above what anyone else will...probably to the tune of 4 and 60/65.  I doubt he'll get 80...but I suppose it's possible.

Mo will probably get 2 for 26-30.

Interesting, those numbers seem fair for both parties.  And I agree, neither are getting that kinda jack from anyone else - not even close.

Not surprised by the Eiland dismissal, someone had to go down and they weren't gonna throw the babies out with the bathwater.

Cards just announced Dave Duncan and Mark McGwire will both be returning in 2011, Duncan on an unprecedented (for the Cards) 2 year deal with a mutual option for 2013.  

I'm cool with both, now it's time to get the Pujols extension done (it's going to start out at 30 million per, years TBD) and upgrade the supporting cast outside of Albert, Holliday, Molina and Rasmus..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #834 on: October 25, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »

There's no doubt Jeter and Mo stay yankees. Its just a matter of how much and how many years. If Cashman let Jeter get hit 3000 in another uniform he would be murdered literally. Not trying to sound morbid but honestly i could see some asshole doing that if he let Jeter walk.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #835 on: October 25, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »

Manny wants to come to Toronto smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #836 on: October 25, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »

There's no doubt Jeter and Mo stay yankees. Its just a matter of how much and how many years. If Cashman let Jeter get hit 3000 in another uniform he would be murdered literally. Not trying to sound morbid but honestly i could see some asshole doing that if he let Jeter walk.

Just going with an article I read online...

Yanks cut ties with Reggie Jackson when he wasn't performing, same with Babe Ruth, and lastly with Mickey Mantle...

Just goes to show that, in some people's opinions, Yankees have no care for sentiment.

Not saying I agree, but it's just another perspective.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #837 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »

Mike Francessa said on his show the other day that the Yanks will make a play for Werth.  Supposedly the Angels are going to go hard after Crawford, and he'd like to play there.  The Red Sox will most likely be involved with both players as well.

1) Fatcessa is an idiot.

2) Werth isn't worth it, if you'll excuse the pun.  Where do you put him?  I'm assuming you're going to put him in RF...where you'll pay a premium to an aging vet with 2 bad knees to get 20 points of OBS over Swisher.  Why?

3) Crawford, again, isn't worth the money.  You have speed in BG and CG, and both guys can hit.  With CG's reworked mechanics...he's even been able to hit lefties.  And BOTH BG and CG are far less expensive than Crawford.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #838 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »

Just going with an article I read online...

Yanks cut ties with Reggie Jackson when he wasn't performing, same with Babe Ruth, and lastly with Mickey Mantle...

Just goes to show that, in some people's opinions, Yankees have no care for sentiment.

Not saying I agree, but it's just another perspective.

1) Reggie was a clubhouse issue and had massive issues with George.  Neither is true of Jeter/Mo.

2) Ruth had done all he could, set every milestone with the Yanks, and had basically retired.  He came back because he was promised part ownership in a team....and he got screwed by the then owner of the Boston Braves (not to mention...he didn't put up anything for numbers).  And the Yanks brought him back to YS a LOT after he did finally retire.  We're not at that point with Jeter/Mo, yet....maybe if they want to play beyond the NEXT contract, but not  yet.

3) Mickey Mantle retired as a Yankee in 1968, no?  After being moved to 1st base, because he could no longer endure the rigors of the outfield (or run).  He'd been seriously slowed by injuries at that point.

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #839 on: October 26, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »

I misspoke..here's the direct portion of the article from Buster Olney...

Also, before anybody assumes that the Yankees are going to simply hand over the keys to the vault to Jeter, it's worth reviewing the organization's bloodless history of player evaluation. When Babe Ruth stopped hitting home runs, the Yankees dumped him. When Joe DiMaggio stopped being an effective center fielder -- at a time when Mickey Mantle was waiting in the wings -- the Yankees sent signals to DiMaggio to step aside. When Reggie Jackson slumped, they let him go.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: