Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:33:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161848 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #800 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:37 AM »

Series over. The Yankees just don't seem to be playing like they care.
Come now.  That's completely unfair to the Rangers.  They're playing like the MUCH better team, plain and simple.  Offense, defense, pitching, managing, every which way they're outperforming.  The Yankees are a very good team, they've just ran into a buzzsaw here.  Texas could've had a better record in the regular season if Cruz and Kinsler didn't get hurt multiple times AND if they had Cliff Lee all season long.  It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that Texas just might be the better team.  It's not about not caring.

It's not necessarily over just yet, but the odds are quite slim.  Don't fear though, once the Yankees sign Lee in the off-season they'll be perennial World Series favorites for the next 5+ years. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:10:15 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #801 on: October 20, 2010, 12:12:02 AM »

Well Girardi said CC won't be starting and that it will be Burnett in the post game news conference...

The Yankees will give Cliff Lee whatever he wants and they'll be a World Series favorite every year with Lee/Sabathia at the top of the rotation.  That's why Texas HAS to win this series.  Likely their only chance.  Unless somehow Lee is charmed by life in Texas and would like to continue on there.  They do have a nice young team, with some money to spend.  So I guess it's possible.  But I'd expect the Yanks to make an insane offer that would be tough for Lee to pass up. 

The Yankees at least have to win the next 2.  They could take another shot at Lee in a game 7, anything can happen.  But if they're down 3-2, having to win 2 games at Texas including beating Lee, you can't like those odds.  Hughes didn't look very good in game 2, so I'm not sure how confident you'd be in him going out there and shutting down the Rangers lineup.

Weren't the Rangers in bankruptcy a few months back?
Yeah that's true, but Tom Hicks was willing to dole out 100's of millions of dollars on Manchester United.  He was outbid by John Henry and the Red Sox ownership group.  But it would seem they'd have some money to play with.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #802 on: October 20, 2010, 12:42:26 AM »

Series over. The Yankees just don't seem to be playing like they care.
Come now.  That's completely unfair to the Rangers.  They're playing like the MUCH better team, plain and simple.  Offense, defense, pitching, managing, every which way they're outperforming.  The Yankees are a very good team, they've just ran into a buzzsaw here.  Texas could've had a better record in the regular season if Cruz and Kinsler didn't get hurt multiple times AND if they had Cliff Lee all season long.  It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that Texas just might be the better team.  It's not about not caring.

It's not necessarily over just yet, but the odds are quite slim.  Don't fear though, once the Yankees sign Lee in the off-season they'll be perennial World Series favorites for the next 5+ years. 

The Rangers aren't pitching THAT well. Several times their bullpen tried to give the game back to the yankees. The yankees just swung at bad pitches repeatedly. Instead of being patient they've become free swingers in this series and bad pitchers. The terrible yankee pitching has given this series to the rangers. With the exception of game 2 and 3 the rangers have tried and only once successfully given us the game back. Burnett pitched relatively well until that one bad pitch to Molina. Then the bullpen again imploded. The Rangers offense has been incredible though. They have taken advantage of all our bad pitching. They've done what good hitting teams should do. The rangers starting pitchers have been good. Its been the difference in this series imo. Tex is also done they just said its a severe hamstrting. So he's done and so are we.

If we do that can ya blame us though? lol. Wouldn't want a guy on your team thats beat the shit out of you.

It will be cool to see a team in the series thats never been there. I don't know if i'll root for them though. I'd honestly like to see the Giants get in and win it. I know everyone seems to want a Hallday/Lee showdown but what about a Lincecum/Halladay? Lincecum is no slouch and neither are the rest of the Giants starters.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #803 on: October 20, 2010, 12:44:41 AM »

Well Girardi said CC won't be starting and that it will be Burnett in the post game news conference...

The Yankees will give Cliff Lee whatever he wants and they'll be a World Series favorite every year with Lee/Sabathia at the top of the rotation.  That's why Texas HAS to win this series.  Likely their only chance.  Unless somehow Lee is charmed by life in Texas and would like to continue on there.  They do have a nice young team, with some money to spend.  So I guess it's possible.  But I'd expect the Yanks to make an insane offer that would be tough for Lee to pass up. 

The Yankees at least have to win the next 2.  They could take another shot at Lee in a game 7, anything can happen.  But if they're down 3-2, having to win 2 games at Texas including beating Lee, you can't like those odds.  Hughes didn't look very good in game 2, so I'm not sure how confident you'd be in him going out there and shutting down the Rangers lineup.

Weren't the Rangers in bankruptcy a few months back?
Yeah that's true, but Tom Hicks was willing to dole out 100's of millions of dollars on Manchester United.  He was outbid by John Henry and the Red Sox ownership group.  But it would seem they'd have some money to play with.

I've heard Lee will be seeking 20mil a year. I'm not sure the rangers could afford that or if they even be willing. They tied that kinda money up with A-Rod and we know how bad that turned out.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #804 on: October 20, 2010, 12:46:07 AM »

OOPS boy was i wrong.

how bout that Rangers vs Giants World Series.

TV Execs are committing suicide.

You were but really Burnett wasn't terrible. You were one pitch from being right.

C'mon now. You don't think that would be an exciting series? I sure as hell do.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #805 on: October 20, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »

Made it on TV a few times during the TBS broadcast -- just saw myself on the replay. Talked with David Wells, Cal Ripken Jr., Matt Winer, and Dennis Eckersly. Great guys, Boomer kept looking over giving us a thumbs up - he was going along with the 'LETS GO YANKEES' chants we had started.

Right before they went live, about 10 seconds - either someone threw a beer or some sort of condensation fell right next to Cal Ripken - was almost a bucket full so it was a lot of liquid. They went through the motions and a production assitant brought a Swiffer in and mopped it up and everyone was chanting SWIFFER! SWIFFER! and the guys at the booth were cracking up.

Winer was very nice, asked him why he doesn't wear suits like Craig Sager and he replied, "Would you want to go out in public like that? I didn't think so."
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #806 on: October 20, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

With no emotional ties to any of the remaining teams, I for one would have little interest in a Giants/Rangers WS.

Moving on..

Tonights obviously a must win for the Phils although the pitching matchup looks to favor the Giants.  Giants win today and look to Lincecum to close the deal tomorrow.

As dead in the water as the Yanks look, I still think they'll manage to get this thing back to Texas. 

That said, they've been absolutely outmanned for the most part, they are looking and playing old.   

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #807 on: October 20, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »

I felt so bad for Burnett after that Molina HR.  But after he was just hammered with a long out to the centerfield warning track, why would Girardi put another guy on base and then leave Burnett in there to face Molina?  

No idea what is going on with the Yankee bats.  How does that lineup get shut down by a mediocre long reliever?

Anyway, I don't think this series is over at all.  CC has been automatic at home this year.  Then you have Hughes, who I expect to bounce back from his Game 2 performance.  Game 7... I don't think Lee will pitch another 8 scoreless and Pettitte should be solid as always.  The key is that the bats have to wake up.  

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #808 on: October 20, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »

Predicting a big Phillies win tonight and the Yanks showing some life to send it back to Texas
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #809 on: October 20, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »

I felt so bad for Burnett after that Molina HR.  But after he was just hammered with a long out to the centerfield warning track, why would Girardi put another guy on base and then leave Burnett in there to face Molina?  

No idea what is going on with the Yankee bats.  How does that lineup get shut down by a mediocre long reliever?

Anyway, I don't think this series is over at all.  CC has been automatic at home this year.  Then you have Hughes, who I expect to bounce back from his Game 2 performance.  Game 7... I don't think Lee will pitch another 8 scoreless and Pettitte should be solid as always.  The key is that the bats have to wake up.  

They've gotten away from their game plan. They're swining at EVERYTHING. They aren't taking pitches they should be taking. When you're swining at pitches that  go past your nose or that are on your shoe tops you aren't gonna hit much. So many times the rangers pitchers tried to let us break that game open yesterday and we bailed them out.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #810 on: October 20, 2010, 04:15:22 PM »

I've heard Lee will be seeking 20mil a year. I'm not sure the rangers could afford that or if they even be willing.

Oh, they can afford it..

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/the-yankees-shouldnt-count-on-signing-cliff-lee/

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #811 on: October 20, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »

And were going back to Texas! If i'm Texas i'm nervous. They have won just one game at home this postseason. The yankee offense has seemed to woken up a bit. Colby Lewis for the Rangers is no Lee or Wilson and i would expect Hughes to be better on normal rest. If it goes to game 7 you have Pettitte who knows how to close out a series against Lee who could have a bad game at any time. We have scored on him before.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #812 on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »

And were going back to Texas! If i'm Texas i'm nervous. They have won just one game at home this postseason. The yankee offense has seemed to woken up a bit. Colby Lewis for the Rangers is no Lee or Wilson and i would expect Hughes to be better on normal rest. If it goes to game 7 you have Pettitte who knows how to close out a series against Lee who could have a bad game at any time. We have scored on him before.
I don't think they're nervous.  They won a decisive game 5 in Tampa.  Yeah it wasn't at home, but I don't think that matters all that much.  I just hope they don't become complacent knowing they have Cliff Lee going in game 7.  Don't let it get to that point.  I was hoping they'd end it today, but it's asking a lot to sweep the Yankees 3 games at the Stadium.  Colby Lewis is a good pitcher, just as good as Hughes IMO.  No real advantage to either team with that pitching matchup.  And not to get ahead of myself, as I hope it doesn't get to this point, but when is the last time the Yankees beat Cliff Lee?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #813 on: October 21, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »

Hanging around 2-0??

how many teams have ever won scoring 0 runs? that is hardly,hanging around.

being down 2-0 to Cliff Lee is the equivalent of being own 6-0 to Colby Lewis.

Sad thing is, plenty of teams could've had Cliff Lee.... weird how so many took a pass.

"Hanging around" means the score was close.  It was.  They were hanging around...and they've hit Feliz pretty well (and he pitched the 9th), in the past (and, at time, this series).  I'm not saying they're going to win that game.  But Andy kept it close....and then the bullpen imploded.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #814 on: October 21, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »

After the Elvis hit...there's a case to be made that it's time for AJ to go.  THEN, when he pulls the double play off, there's a HUGE case to be made to pull him, given who's coming to bat.  I don't recall, but I'm not even sure there was someone warming up....and if there wasn't, there should have been (as soon as Elvis hit that single).  Then, when you see him barely able to get the pitches to Cervelli to intentionally walk Murphy...you yank him and let someone else get Molina.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #815 on: October 21, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

I don't think they're nervous.  They won a decisive game 5 in Tampa.  Yeah it wasn't at home, but I don't think that matters all that much.  I just hope they don't become complacent knowing they have Cliff Lee going in game 7.  Don't let it get to that point.  I was hoping they'd end it today, but it's asking a lot to sweep the Yankees 3 games at the Stadium.  Colby Lewis is a good pitcher, just as good as Hughes IMO.  No real advantage to either team with that pitching matchup.  And not to get ahead of myself, as I hope it doesn't get to this point, but when is the last time the Yankees beat Cliff Lee?

I agree.  But I think the Yanks have planted the seed of doubt.  If they get out to an early lead on Friday.....I think THAT will make the Rangers nervous.

Yanks won a game Lee started in not too long ago, actually.  I can't remember if it was while he was in Texas or Seattle.  They ran his pitch count up and by the 6th inning, he was gone.  Also, last year, in the WS, they actually HIT him in game 5.  AJ was just awful.

Lee is not superman.  He can be beat.  Which isn't to say the Yanks will beat him...but IF they get to game 7 (and that's a big IF), a Yanks loss isn't a foregone conclusion.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #816 on: October 21, 2010, 03:23:02 PM »

From the outside looking in, the Yanks are still very much in this series.  They went from looking "old" to looking "experienced" last night and you can never count out a group that's been there before.

Will be watching intently tonight, Doc and The Freak Part 2.  Smart money says the Giants will throw out everything including the kitchen sink to keep this thing from getting back to Philly...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #817 on: October 21, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »

I know it would be super risky and maybe a dumb move.. but wonder if Texas entertained the idea of moving Cliff Lee up for game 6 to go against the inexperienced Phil Hughes?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #818 on: October 21, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »

Perhaps that injury to Tex has sparked this team and the team meeting they had yesterday morning? This is a team that's been here before and knows how to win. You give them a chance to get back in this thing rangers could be in trouble. You know that saying never underestimate the heart of a champion. They still are unless Texas gets another win. Lewis is a good pitcher but he is nowhere near Wilson or Lee. I would definitely expect Hughes to be much better tomorrow night. If that offense continues to wake up we likely have game 7. Remember this season the yankees typically gave Hughes 6 runs of support. They do that tomorrow and Hughes is good game 7 here we come. If it goes that far i would expect another game like game 2 but who knows? As Pilf said Lee is not superman. He is not unbeatable. We would've beaten him and ended the WS last year in game 5 if AJ had been decent. Also its hard not to believe in Pettitte in a clincher game. He has won so many of them. He just seems to always rise to the occaison.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #819 on: October 21, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »

I know it would be super risky and maybe a dumb move.. but wonder if Texas entertained the idea of moving Cliff Lee up for game 6 to go against the inexperienced Phil Hughes?

If they did that though and somehow lost. You would have Pettite vs. Lewis in game 7. Huge advantage yanks.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: