Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161803 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #760 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:40 AM »

What an impressive first playoff start for Phil Hughes. The few times he got in a little trouble he made a big pitch. He gives us a start like that in the next round i'll be VERY happy.

It was a LOT of fun to watch that game from INSIDE the stadium.  The "HUGHES" chants were deafening at times. 

That was, FYI, the loudest I've heard the new stadium.  Now, I didn't ATTEND any of the late playoff games last year (ALCS or WS), so maybe that noise level was par for the course for those games.  But still...it was impressive.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #761 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »

Giants vs Phillies in the NLCS.  That's good because the Giants were the ONLY team I think had a shot, in the NL, of beating the Phillies.

Yankees vs Huh in the ALCS.

Tonight's game should be good, and it's good news all the way around if you're a Yanks fan.  Yanks won't see Price/Lee until game 3, now.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #762 on: October 12, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »

That's good because the Giants were the ONLY team I think had a shot, in the NL, of beating the Phillies.

A shot for sure although I just don't think the Giants can score enough runs to extend let alone win the series.

Phils in 5..

Yankees vs Huh in the ALCS.

Still picking the Rays here to be the Yanks sacrificial lamb in the ALCS...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #763 on: October 12, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »

What an impressive first playoff start for Phil Hughes. The few times he got in a little trouble he made a big pitch. He gives us a start like that in the next round i'll be VERY happy.

It was a LOT of fun to watch that game from INSIDE the stadium.  The "HUGHES" chants were deafening at times. 

That was, FYI, the loudest I've heard the new stadium.  Now, I didn't ATTEND any of the late playoff games last year (ALCS or WS), so maybe that noise level was par for the course for those games.  But still...it was impressive.

Agreed 100%, it was so loud!

From the bleachers it was deafening and absolutely nuts when Thames hit his HR, as well as the big hits from Robbie Cano and Swisher.

Going to Game 4/5 of the ALCS as well!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #764 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »

A shot for sure although I just don't think the Giants can score enough runs to extend let alone win the series.

Phils in 5..

It all comes down to pitching.  Both have really good rotations. I suspect you're right about the Giants ability to score runs, but this is one of those series (like the Giants/Braves series) that could hinge on a couple errors or bad defensive plays.  I DEFINITELY give the Phillies the edge, but I can at least see the Giants rotation being able to go toe to toe with the Phillies rotation.

Still picking the Rays here to be the Yanks sacrificial lamb in the ALCS...

I suspect it's going to be a VERY good game, tonight.  Maybe the Yanks will get an additional break, it'll go 18-20 innings, and both teams will just burn through their pitching.  I can only hope.

I think TB will win.  No matter who wins, it presents some interesting challenges for the Yanks.  Those 2 lefties (though that's minimized a bit by Lee having to pitch tonight) on Texas are REALLY good, and the Yanks have had their issues with lefty starters late in the season.  The Rays rotation is not great, beyond Price, but they're exactly the type of team that gives the Yanks fits: fast, good defensively, and CAN be patient at the plate (and, sometimes, they can as easily be prone to striking out).  Add to that the fact the Yanks will have to play a good number of games on that HORRIBLE turf down at the Trop. 

I don't think the ALCS is a cakewalk for the Yanks.   IF their pitching shows up like it did in the ALDS, and IF Burnett manages to actually be "not horrible", I think they'll do OK.  But no matter who they face, I think it'll go 6...maybe 7.  Hopefully, they prove me wrong.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #765 on: October 12, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »

Agreed 100%, it was so loud!

From the bleachers it was deafening and absolutely nuts when Thames hit his HR, as well as the big hits from Robbie Cano and Swisher.

Going to Game 4/5 of the ALCS as well!

Which side of the bleachers were you on?  The side with the annoying Twins fan who the "creatures" were giving a hard time (and who eventually got tossed)?  Or the side near the Yanks bullpen?

I was floating back and forth between 202, 306, and the main level concourse.  There were 3 of us...we had 2 tickets in the bleachers and one on the terrace....so we "rotated".

Hey, if you need "company" at either of the two ALCS games...I'd be glad to use one of your tickets and come with you.  ok

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #766 on: October 12, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »

We were in 238, row 12. There was a Twins fan right above the Twins bullpen who everyone just laid into every time he stood up, went to get a beer -- him and his girlfriend were idiots doing that. Middle of the bleachers, two random Twins fans. They got beer thrown at them, a guy put a Robbie Cano jersey on the girl and she flipped. Easily the most intense game I've ever been to.

StubHub has listings at at least $110 a piece. Two of my buddies want to go so I was going to get a four pack in the bleachers again, though I'm not sure if I wait whether the price will go down or not.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #767 on: October 12, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »

We were in 238, row 12. There was a Twins fan right above the Twins bullpen who everyone just laid into every time he stood up, went to get a beer -- him and his girlfriend were idiots doing that. Middle of the bleachers, two random Twins fans. They got beer thrown at them, a guy put a Robbie Cano jersey on the girl and she flipped. Easily the most intense game I've ever been to.

StubHub has listings at at least $110 a piece. Two of my buddies want to go so I was going to get a four pack in the bleachers again, though I'm not sure if I wait whether the price will go down or not.

Price will probably come down on game day...but not before then.  And by game day,there might not be much inventory.

$110 apiece?  Too rich for my blood!  I paid face ($16 apiece) for those two bleacher seats for the ALDS, and my buddy paid $50-ish (face) for the terrace seat.  We "won" the TM lottery when the games went on sale via TM.

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #768 on: October 12, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »

Giants have no shot. they have no offense and The Phillies will hit he Giants pitching enough to win in 5 games

Yanks vs phils world series and Im excited for that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #769 on: October 12, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »

Well I'm going to try my luck on game day! If not, I may just head in and try and find a cheap one on the way to the stadium.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #770 on: October 15, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »

Got some friends who had season tickets and are going to be away on business on Tuesday and Wednesday (if necessary) -- so I'll be there!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #771 on: October 15, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »

Got some friends who had season tickets and are going to be away on business on Tuesday and Wednesday (if necessary) -- so I'll be there!

Enjoy!  I'll be watching from home...wishing I were there...but enjoying my much more reasonably priced beer and snacks (not to mention, parking).  ok

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #772 on: October 16, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »

What a fucking game in Arlington. Washington blew that game good and proper. I loved seeing all the dejected faces. They looked like they saw someone die. The look on Nolan's face especially that was priceless. Arod continues to get the big hit or get the run home somehow.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:38:37 AM by Timothy25 » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #773 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »

What a fucking game in Arlington. Washington blew that game good and proper. I loved seeing all the dejected faces. They looked like they saw someone die. The look on Nolan's face especially that was priceless. Arod continues to get the big hit or get the run home somehow.
I hated that game for the same reasons you loved it.  Now I remember why I haven't paid attention to the playoffs much at all to this point.

I'll agree Washington made some mistakes, but I wouldn't say he blew the game.  I think that's taking too much credit away from the Yankees.  I assume you're talking about all the pitching changes he made in the 8th inning.  Well, I think they were all the right moves.  Problem is, none of them worked.  The pitchers just couldn't get any of the Yankee hitters out.  It reminded me of when Grady Little left Pedro out to dry.  This time Washington made ALL the moves and it still backfired.  To me that just shows how resiliant the Yankee lineup is and has been for the last decade.  I think I almost forgave Grady last night.  Almost.

I think the biggest mistake Washington did make was pinch hitting Borbon with 2 outs and nobody on in the bottom of the 8th.  In that situation, if you're going to pinch hit, you send up someone who can tie the game up with one swing of the bat.  Not a slap singles hitter.  He would've been better suited to pinch hit to lead off the 9th (even though Moreland DID lead off the next inning with a pinch single), or to pinch run.  He could've been an asset to steal on Rivera in the 9th to get into scoring position.  That move, I didn't understand.

Tough loss for the Rangers.  Hopefully they can bounce back today.  On the bright side, CC looked horrible and CJ looked quite good.  The bullpen, not so much.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #774 on: October 16, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »

No real observations on last nights game, caught bits and pieces so no educated opinions. 

Will be watching intently tonight, the pitching matchup we've all been waiting for in Philly - The Freak/The Doc.

Gotta love playoff baseball. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #775 on: October 16, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »

I hated that game for the same reasons you loved it.  Now I remember why I haven't paid attention to the playoffs much at all to this point.

I'll agree Washington made some mistakes, but I wouldn't say he blew the game.  I think that's taking too much credit away from the Yankees.  I assume you're talking about all the pitching changes he made in the 8th inning.  Well, I think they were all the right moves.  Problem is, none of them worked.  The pitchers just couldn't get any of the Yankee hitters out.  It reminded me of when Grady Little left Pedro out to dry.  This time Washington made ALL the moves and it still backfired.  To me that just shows how resiliant the Yankee lineup is and has been for the last decade.  I think I almost forgave Grady last night.  Almost.

I think the biggest mistake Washington did make was pinch hitting Borbon with 2 outs and nobody on in the bottom of the 8th.  In that situation, if you're going to pinch hit, you send up someone who can tie the game up with one swing of the bat.  Not a slap singles hitter.  He would've been better suited to pinch hit to lead off the 9th (even though Moreland DID lead off the next inning with a pinch single), or to pinch run.  He could've been an asset to steal on Rivera in the 9th to get into scoring position.  That move, I didn't understand.

Tough loss for the Rangers.  Hopefully they can bounce back today.  On the bright side, CC looked horrible and CJ looked quite good.  The bullpen, not so much.

Publicly the rangers are saying all the right things about the bullpen, however, they have to be wondering at this point who can they trust to get outs. Even in the ALDS they struggled even Feliz. The yankee bullpen on the other hand shut down the rangers. I still think Washington made too many moves there. He seems to play the percentages too much and it costs him. I've never though he was a good manger of the pitching staff. You're right it did show how resilient the yankees are. That team just never gives up until that 27th out is recorded. They have the most comeback wins for a reason this year. One of the biggest mistakes by the rangers has to be Kinsler getting picked off by a guy struggling a little to throw strikes. You get a 4 pitche walk. Its 2-1 on the hitter and you get caught like a bump on a log. It was BAD he was just standing there like duh am i supposed to run or something?

CC did look bad. Not having pitched since the 6th clearly hurt him. If there is a game 5 i would expect him to be MUCH better at home. Looking forward to this afternoon. Hughes was great against the Twins and has good career numbers in Texas. Has never given up a run infact. Lewis seems like a guy we can beat up on. He only made it through 5 against Tampa. He doesn't seem to be the same caliber pitcher as Wilson.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #776 on: October 17, 2010, 10:27:58 PM »

Yankees lost.  Cliff Lee is looming.  CC for game 4?  I'd say it depends on what happens in game 3, but I'd say it's pretty likely.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #777 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »

I don't know about that. The only upside to that i see is he'll be on regular rest against Lee in a possible game 7. I'd rather CC against Wilson rather then Hunter. Lee scares me but its hard to bet against Pettitte at home in the playoffs.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #778 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »

Looking very forward to the matchup tonight, I suspect the Yanks know they are extremely lucky to get out of Texas with a split and will come out tonight ready to battle.

Lee and Pettitte is another dream pitching pairing, it doesn't get much better than this.   

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2010, 11:19:30 AM »

Yankees lost.  Cliff Lee is looming.  CC for game 4?  I'd say it depends on what happens in game 3, but I'd say it's pretty likely.

If the Yanks win tonight: No.

If the Yanks lose tonight: Yes.

I think it's simple as that. 

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: