Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 09:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161744 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #700 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »

You also need to consider CC willl get two more starts this year. That could put him at 22-6. It would be tough to over look that record. I can't remember the last time a pitcher won that many games.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #701 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »

2008 by Cliff Lee and Brandon Webb.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #702 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of a starting pitcher (or a DH in the AL for that matter) winning the MVP for obvious reasons and have come to accept the voters for all the major awards don't necessarily use the same criteria.

So be it - here's my winners.

NL MVP - Joey Votto
AL MVP - Josh Hamilton

NL CY - Roy Halliday
AL CY - CC Sabathia

NL Rookie - Jason Heyward
AL Rookie - Neftali Feliz

Not any real surprises for the most part...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #703 on: September 23, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »

Didn't they both win the Cy Young that year?
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #704 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:53 PM »

Didn't they both win the Cy Young that year?

Lee did, not Webb.  Lincecum won it with 4 fewer victories than Webb because of his of his better ERA and strikeout totals (and just about every other pitching stat).  With King Felix, that logic would obviously be extended to unprecedented extremes.  He's not going to win it this year, but the fact that he's in the discussion and will likely place 3rd after CC and Price suggest that win totals may not be weighed as heavily as in the past; rightfully so, IMO.  My guess is that Price will win, being the 'compromise' pick. 

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #705 on: September 23, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of a starting pitcher (or a DH in the AL for that matter) winning the MVP for obvious reasons and have come to accept the voters for all the major awards don't necessarily use the same criteria.

So be it - here's my winners.

NL MVP - Joey Votto
AL MVP - Josh Hamilton

NL CY - Roy Halliday
AL CY - CC Sabathia

NL Rookie - Jason Heyward
AL Rookie - Neftali Feliz

Not any real surprises for the most part...

Agree on all except I'd take Robinson Cano over Hamilton, and for AL Cy Young, I'll wait on the last few starts, but I'm leaning towards Felix Hernandez.

novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #706 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »

I really dont like when awards go to players on terrible teams. King Felix is a great pitcher...but the mariners are a dreadful team

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #707 on: September 23, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »

Time for Girardi to get fined or fired. He just fucking threw this game away and possibly the division. Fucking pathetic. Leaving a obvious tired Sabathia out way too long and leaving in an obviously ailing Vazquez out to dry. This is not the way you manage a must win game.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #708 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »

Time for Girardi to get fined or fired. He just fucking threw this game away and possibly the division. Fucking pathetic. Leaving a obvious tired Sabathia out way too long and leaving in an obviously ailing Vazquez out to dry. This is not the way you manage a must win game.

Damn, a little harsh??

Sounding a lil like one of those fans who call into radio talk shows..

Kidding of course Wink

The Yanks will be fine and Joe's not going anywhere, you're lucky to have him.

Back to the AL MVP, no prob with Cano winning - he's had a fine season. 

Hamilton's a bit of a sentimental pick - what a great story that would be if he actually did win.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #709 on: September 23, 2010, 10:22:14 PM »

lol, off the energy drinks and sugary snacks!

one game. it's just oneee game.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #710 on: September 23, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »

I think Nick Turturro may have taken over Tim's body. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #711 on: September 23, 2010, 10:32:33 PM »

One important game that he threw. Now we have to almost run the table to win the divison. The rest of our schedule is much tougher. 6 against the sox and 3 against toronto. You just can't manage such an important game like that. Sabathia was clearly out of gas in the 6th and he left him in until he gave up 3 runs. Then he sticks with javy after he plunks 3 in a row and walks another. Then keeps him in the next two innings? WTF? That was a sad display of baseball and managing.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #712 on: September 23, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »

Javy's role tonight clearly was a MOP UP job -- stick in there, finish the game - no matter what. Joe knew after that 8 run inning it would be real hard to get back into it, and rather than blow his bullpen up (big series with Boston coming up) he'd rather let one game slip and rest his guys.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #713 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:56 PM »

Javy's role tonight clearly was a MOP UP job -- stick in there, finish the game - no matter what. Joe knew after that 8 run inning it would be real hard to get back into it, and rather than blow his bullpen up (big series with Boston coming up) he'd rather let one game slip and rest his guys.

Bingo.

Someone had to take one for the team, no sense leaving yourself shorthanded.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #714 on: September 23, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »

You figure a 'fan' of baseball would know such routine stuff...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #715 on: September 23, 2010, 11:50:09 PM »

It was worse then just taking one for the team though. Even the announcers were shocked that he didn't come get him and put in Mitre. He was yelling at Javy in the dugout after that inning. Whatever he said though seemed to help a little cause he was semi ok the next two innings. It was an intended mop up situation but it was just awful awful. It might not have been that had he not left Sabathia in a batter or two too long. Perhaps Joba could've stopped the bleeding if it was only 2nd and 3rd still and not bases loaded with already the go ahead run walked in by Sabathia. My guess is he was wanting to see if he could work his way out of trouble. I think the game was a bit too important to do that. I just hope his blunders don't cost us the division title.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #716 on: September 24, 2010, 12:09:24 PM »

I actually agree with you on this.  Javy had to take one for the team.

Once CC and Joba bombed the 6th away....Joe could see the writing on the wall.

And Joe was yelling at Javi, I think, because his performance isn't acceptable.  At some point, you gotta tell a guy (a guy who, recently, questioned Girardi's lack of confidence in him, and his lack of playing time): WTF?

Javi's certainly earned a "WTF" tirade this year.  They've given him every warning about his performance out there on the mound.  And when Javi came back to the dugout, I think he basically told Girardi to take him out.  And I THINK Girardi told him he was going to finish the game if his arm fell off.

And to go back to the Cy Young discussion:  Price just took the lead, for me.

King Felix, again yesterday, pitched well...but not as well as the other guy(s) did.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:12:16 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #717 on: September 24, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »

If they don't find some way to get rid of Javy this postseason Cashman might be run out of town. This guy has just totally given up on his team. I still think Girardi kept Sabathia in a batter or two long. If he takes him out when its 3-2 or 3-3 who knows? Maybe we could've stopped the bleeding. He brought Chamberlain into an almost impossible situation already down 4-3 bases loaded and still one out.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #718 on: September 24, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »

Here we go again with clueless Joe. This time its Pettitte he leaves in too long until the game is out of hand. He needs to be quicker with the hook then this. Its like he is saying we don't care about the division we're happy to face the twins who are deadly in their home stadium. Mitre comes in throws two pitches and gets out of the inning. Had he done that 3 batters ago it might still be 3-1 or 5-1. No he had to wait until it was 7-1. The hit that made it 5-1 though was a terrible call by the umps. That ball was foul. Its like we're laying down for Tampa and just handing them the divison. This is sad and painful to watch. We're in trouble going into the playoffs big time.

*EDIT* Maybe i spoke a little too soon about it being over. 10-7 now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:39:34 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #719 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:22 PM »

If they don't find some way to get rid of Javy this postseason Cashman might be run out of town. This guy has just totally given up on his team. I still think Girardi kept Sabathia in a batter or two long. If he takes him out when its 3-2 or 3-3 who knows? Maybe we could've stopped the bleeding. He brought Chamberlain into an almost impossible situation already down 4-3 bases loaded and still one out.

Javy is either a free agent or has a team option for next year.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: