Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 07:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161691 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #660 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:02 PM »

Strasburg needs Tommy John surgery, ouch.
Wow!  Hadn't heard that.  That's rough.  On the bright side though, thanks to the marvels of modern science sometimes guys come back just as good, if not stronger off of TJ surgery.  Obviously though, not a good sign for such a young guy with such promise.  Mark Prior anyone?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #661 on: August 27, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »

Strasburg needs Tommy John surgery, ouch.
Wow!  Hadn't heard that.  That's rough.  On the bright side though, thanks to the marvels of modern science sometimes guys come back just as good, if not stronger off of TJ surgery.  Obviously though, not a good sign for such a young guy with such promise.  Mark Prior anyone?

Yeah, its all over espn.com. The fact that this surgery is no longer a death sentence and the kid is so young he has a great chance still at a great career. Its just a matter of how long it takes him to come back from this. They don't know how bad the tear is yet. He has yet to see Dr. Andrews.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #662 on: August 30, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »

Good news for the Yanks is they don't play the Jays again for a month hihi

Yes they do.

They actually play them again at the end of this week (Sept 3 - 5).  I'm at the game on the 3rd.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #663 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »

Sorry boys Yankies are going down!!!
I will be pissed if it turns out the Twins series is what fucked us out of 1st place again!!!! rant

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!
Joe

Well, Yanks walked out with 2 of 3...just not the way I thought they would.  Yesterday was a pretty exciting game to watch....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #664 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:54 AM »

Sorry boys Yankies are going down!!!
I will be pissed if it turns out the Twins series is what fucked us out of 1st place again!!!! rant

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!
Joe

Well, Yanks walked out with 2 of 3...just not the way I thought they would.  Yesterday was a pretty exciting game to watch....
Did Nova get his B12 shots before the game?  hihi

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #665 on: August 30, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »

Yup, I even drove out to Chicago to inject him. Smiley

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #666 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »

Yup, I even drove out to Chicago to inject him. Smiley
Speaking of such.  Big day for Clemens today.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #667 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »

Supposedly he was going to play golf and then hop a plain to the arraignment.

Not much will really happen today, I don't think.  He'll be in and out in a few hours, I'd guess (unless the judge does something unexpected).  The real "big deal" will be when the trial starts.  I guess we'll hear more on the dates for that today...though they'll probably get pushed back by motions and legal wranglings at least a few times.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #668 on: August 30, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »

Supposedly he was going to play golf and then hop a plain to the arraignment.

Not much will really happen today, I don't think.  He'll be in and out in a few hours, I'd guess (unless the judge does something unexpected).  The real "big deal" will be when the trial starts.  I guess we'll hear more on the dates for that today...though they'll probably get pushed back by motions and legal wranglings at least a few times.

Roger isn't backing down one bit, I'll give him that.  Do you think he actually believes himself at this point?  He's tricked himself by making lies into reality?

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #669 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »

Looks like Manny is going to Chicago smoking

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100829&content_id=14088988&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #670 on: August 30, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »

The Clemens thing is bound to get even more silly as the trial moves forward.

The whole thing smells like the Pete Rose denial fiasco we endured for years, I've been a Rocket fan but they've got him dead to rights.  MLB Radio was speculating on somewhere from 18-24 months jail time.

Manny to the ChiSox is bound to make for good theatre, hopefully the month he'll be with them doesn't give him enough time to poison the clubhouse as he always does..

Hi dama going on in STL now, Tony and Colby Rasmus seemingly are not going to be able to coexist.  Colby can't handle TLR's intensity and TLR can't deal with Colby's periodically lazy play and meddling father..

One of them will more than likely not be there next year..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #671 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »

Ah shit looks like I eat my words again hihi

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #672 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:23 AM »

Roger isn't backing down one bit, I'll give him that.  Do you think he actually believes himself at this point?  He's tricked himself by making lies into reality?

I have no idea.

I don't find McNamee particularly credible. 

I don't find Roger particularly credible.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out at trial.  From what's been in public, Clemens looks guilty.  But McNamee is a complete scumbucket.  So anything (and most of the state's evidence is coming from him...other than Andy's testimony) coming from him is suspect, too.

Do I personally think Roger knowingly did it?  Yup.

Do I think it's possible that McNamee is screwing him, or told Roger he was taking "B12" (or something else legal)?  Sure.  Not likely, but possible...and Roger's enough of a hayseed to believe it (or to convince himself that it was true).

This is one of those cases where you've got two people, both with questionable credibility (and alterior motives), saying completely different things.  I couldn't say for 100% sure that either one is telling the truth on this.  Hopefully, by the end of trial, we'll have a much clearer picture.  And, I suspect, Roger will be wearing an completely different kind of striped uniform when it's over.  Oh, wait....they switched the home uniforms for that team...now they're solid orange!  And who knows: Maybe while he's in, he can lead the Texas Penal League to a championship.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #673 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:45 AM »

The Clemens thing is bound to get even more silly as the trial moves forward.

The whole thing smells like the Pete Rose denial fiasco we endured for years, I've been a Rocket fan but they've got him dead to rights.  MLB Radio was speculating on somewhere from 18-24 months jail time.

That's what I think too.  Might be as little as 15 months..and he'll serve about 8, providing he behaves.

My problem is with "dead to rights".  Is it a lie if you really believe you're telling the truth?  It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Manny to the ChiSox is bound to make for good theatre, hopefully the month he'll be with them doesn't give him enough time to poison the clubhouse as he always does..

Thank god the Yanks don't have to face the White Sox again, during the regular season.  Red Sox do...6 times, maybe?  As much of a distraction as Manny has become, he almost always finds "focus" and playse well vs the Yanks. 

I can't believe anyone wants this guy on their team, though.  It'll be interesting to see what happens next year.

Hi dama going on in STL now, Tony and Colby Rasmus seemingly are not going to be able to coexist.  Colby can't handle TLR's intensity and TLR can't deal with Colby's periodically lazy play and meddling father..

One of them will more than likely not be there next year..

I think TLR is done with the Cards after this year.  His contract is up.  The Cubs job is open, seemingly (although I guess Girardi, should he leave the Yanks, is their preferred candidate).  I don't see him staying put.  Especially not the way this year has gone, so far.  If they don't make the playoffs (and there is plenty of time for them to get into WC contention, at least), I'm almost positive he's gone.

And if he stays...I'm not sure Mozeliak (and the ownership) will let Rasmus out of their hands.  He's cheap (not eligible for arbitration til 2012 and FA 2015), the fans love him, and he's a solid, every day center fielder with good upside potential, who is decent with the stick, and who hits with some pop in his bat.  Those are not easy to find.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #674 on: August 31, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

I have no idea.

I don't find McNamee particularly credible. 

I don't find Roger particularly credible.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out at trial.  From what's been in public, Clemens looks guilty.  But McNamee is a complete scumbucket.  So anything (and most of the state's evidence is coming from him...other than Andy's testimony) coming from him is suspect, too.

Do I personally think Roger knowingly did it?  Yup.

Do I think it's possible that McNamee is screwing him, or told Roger he was taking "B12" (or something else legal)?  Sure.  Not likely, but possible...and Roger's enough of a hayseed to believe it (or to convince himself that it was true).

This is one of those cases where you've got two people, both with questionable credibility (and alterior motives), saying completely different things.  I couldn't say for 100% sure that either one is telling the truth on this.  Hopefully, by the end of trial, we'll have a much clearer picture.  And, I suspect, Roger will be wearing an completely different kind of striped uniform when it's over.  Oh, wait....they switched the home uniforms for that team...now they're solid orange!  And who knows: Maybe while he's in, he can lead the Texas Penal League to a championship.
Yeah, I've heard some people say he's actually got a real good chance at winning the case.  Even if he did though, he's already guilty in the court of opinion and I don't think that would change, ala OJ.

Other people say, there's no way they'd carry this thing out THIS far and not find him guilty.  So we'll see.  Agree on McNamee.  Pettitte is the damning testimony.  If he changes his story a bit to make Roger not look quite as bad, then maybe he's got a shot.  If he sticks to his guns though, that could be troublesome.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »

Maybe Roger thought he was getting Vitamin B shots and McNamee was hitting him with roids so Clemens would have HUGE results and keep employing McNamee?

no one has thought of that angle.

if i am a personal trainer and i want to get paid... if my athlete gets just ok results, he may work with someone else.. but if he goes through the ceiling with gains and improvements, he will pay me more and  turn me onto others.

it happened to my brother once actually. a guy he worked out with toldhim he took vitamin b12 shots and he gave my brother a  shot of Testosterone unknowingly.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2010, 12:19:25 PM »

Maybe Roger thought he was getting Vitamin B shots and McNamee was hitting him with roids so Clemens would have HUGE results and keep employing McNamee?

no one has thought of that angle.

if i am a personal trainer and i want to get paid... if my athlete gets just ok results, he may work with someone else.. but if he goes through the ceiling with gains and improvements, he will pay me more and  turn me onto others.

it happened to my brother once actually. a guy he worked out with toldhim he took vitamin b12 shots and he gave my brother a  shot of Testosterone unknowingly.

Actually, that's the angle I was alluding to in my post, above.  And McNamee is "scummy" enough to do something like that, IMHO.  Especially in an age where MLB testing was basically non-existent.  And he kept the "evidence" so that, should Roger ever find out and want to turn the big B.M. in, he could threaten Roger with his "evidence" and say he was going to tell everyone that Roger knew what he was taking.  Again, not something I'd put past McNamee.

I've seen that theory "floated" in other places, too, though.  But the counter-point is that you'd have to be an IDIOT not to notice both the effects AND the side effects, and not be able to put 2 and 2 together and get 4.

Again, that goes back to the "did he know or did he not know/convince himself he didn't know". 

The counter-counter-point is that Roger very well may be an idiot....he's certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I'm still at the: He probably did it, but I want to see more proof because McNamee is one of the lowest pieces of trash you could dig up.  Of course, the fact Clemens would choose to associate with him, at all, speaks volumes about Clemens...who also isn't a shinning pinnacle of humanity.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:23:50 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

If u are working out hard though and are already a super athlete, u may think u are getting just great natural results doing certain exercises/training methods u never used.

biggest myth about steroids are 2 things:

1. u turn into mountains of muscles *erroneous, u can but its all how u workout/eat etc

2. U have all these terrible side effects... most people  I've known and i have been around tons of steroid users, never had any side effects whatsoever. maybe a tiny amount of acne. but nothing major.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »

My "dead to rights" comment is probably more from a personal viewpoint - I think Roger knew he was up to no good just like Pete Rose knew he was violating MLB's most sacred rule.

Hell, didn't Roger know and give the scumbag Mcnamee the OK to shoot up his wife?

Beyond that, Pettitte's testimony is absolutely killer..

As for TLR leaving STL, Chicago is a very unlikely destination.  Tony is well aware of his place in Cardinal history and would never taint his legacy by moving to the Northsiders.
That would be a "Cardinal sin" and deemed unforgiveable by the organization and fanbase.

Tony himself excommunicated Jimmy Edmonds for nearly 2 years when Jimmy Ballgame accepted a trade from the Padres to the Cubs after the Cards had gone out of their way  and made good on his trade request to a west coast team.  Edmonds only recently got back in TLR's good graces when Edmonds sought out LaRussa for advice on his return from retirement.

If Tony leaving is indeed the case, LA is a much more likely scenario - closer to his home in the Bay area with an esteemed history.  If Girardi leaves the Bombers (and he won't) TLR would be receptive to the Yanks as well.

The Rasmus situation seems to have worked itself out.. for now that is..

More on that here:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_9a8a6679-f88c-59d6-8653-ff027222d766.html

Beyond that, Raz does come cheap and has extremely high upside but he is not a popular player by any means with the Cards fanbase - viewed as JD Drew in nearly every way.

He's not a popular guy within the organization either, they are still not happy with him for pouting when he didn't make the team out of spring training in 2008 and refusing an assignment to the Arizona Fall League.  He's never been receptive to any hitting instruction outside of his father and has had major problems with his verteran teammates. 

High drama indeed..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »

If u are working out hard though and are already a super athlete, u may think u are getting just great natural results doing certain exercises/training methods u never used.

biggest myth about steroids are 2 things:

1. u turn into mountains of muscles *erroneous, u can but its all how u workout/eat etc

2. U have all these terrible side effects... most people  I've known and i have been around tons of steroid users, never had any side effects whatsoever. maybe a tiny amount of acne. but nothing major.

1) No, but you saw effects.  His velocity increased (after decreasing). His control got better, again.  He was recovering from injury (and sustaining fewer injuries) faster than before.   There were notable effects, for sure.

2.  Except...we KNOW Roger saw side effects...because we saw a lot of them, too.  That's one of the reasons he was "suspected" before the Mitchell report even came out.

So, if you're at all observant, AND you know your trainer has been injecting you with "something"...you'd have to be an idiot not to suspect what was going on.  

And, again....it could be that Roger is an idiot.  
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 01:31:24 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: