Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161590 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #580 on: July 13, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »

Well damn this week has just sucked. RIP George you will be missed greatly.  Cry
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #581 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

Always enjoyed The Boss' antics from afar - great owner, great man.

He will be missed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:43:26 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #582 on: July 13, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »

So many people only saw the public image of George in the New York press. There was so much more to him that you never saw or heard about. This was a man who cared so much about people. If you ever worked for the yankees in anyway he took care of them after they left and not just financially. He also donated millions and millons of dollars to charities and other things throughout his life.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #583 on: July 14, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »

Hopefully the Jays get something good for ?lex Gonz?lez Sad

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #584 on: July 14, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »

They didn't:

The Braves traded Yunel Escobar and left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes to the Blue Jays for Gonzalez, left-handed minor-league pitcher Tim Collins and minor-league shortstop Tyler Pastornicky.

I wouldn't categorizee Reyes or Escobar as anything special. Escobar has had a cruddy year, and Reyes has (if possible) had an even worse one (and that's saying something for a guy who wasn't all that good to begin with).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:32:51 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #585 on: July 14, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »

Not impressed with what the Jays got either, maybe the old "change of scenery" will help Escobar..

Cards had interest in Gonzalez as well but apparently there wasn't a "good match" personel wise.

On a side note - the day after the All Star Game is absolutely the worst sports day of the year

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #586 on: July 14, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »

Oh, how I long for the days of Joe Carter and John Olerud Embarrassed

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #587 on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »

Not impressed with what the Jays got either, maybe the old "change of scenery" will help Escobar..

Cards had interest in Gonzalez as well but apparently there wasn't a "good match" personel wise.

On a side note - the day after the All Star Game is absolutely the worst sports day of the year

Yeah it sucks. No games no nothing. I have an extra day to wait too. The yankees don't play until friday.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »

They didn't:

The Braves traded Yunel Escobar and left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes to the Blue Jays for Gonzalez, left-handed minor-league pitcher Tim Collins and minor-league shortstop Tyler Pastornicky.

I wouldn't categorizee Reyes or Escobar as anything special. Escobar has had a cruddy year, and Reyes has (if possible) had an even worse one (and that's saying something for a guy who wasn't all that good to begin with).
From Buster Olney's twitter.

Buster_ESPN - Tremendous trade for the Braves. Gonzalez has very affordable $2.5m option for 2011. Said Frank Wren on phone: "Without that, would not have made the deal." Also, the smallish lefty the Braves got in the deal is "filthy ... like a little Billy Wagner," says the person who signed him -- former Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi. This is an absolutely great trade for Atlanta. The Braves have one of the best clubhouses in baseball, and that Escobar was having problems says a whole lot about him; not many have problems with ATL.

Man, at first I was thinking at least the Jays got a mini Billy Wagner, then I realized he went to Atlanta.  Doesn't look like a very good deal from any angle from the Jays point of view.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:06:00 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »

I'm so glad that fios carries YES out of market. I get to see the pregame ceremony for Bob Sheppard and George Steinbrenner.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »

Mariano silently walking out and placing the two red roses on home plate was a beautiful moment.  Smiley

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »

Mariano silently walking out and placing the two red roses on home plate was a beautiful moment.  Smiley

It really was and then of course Jeter's short speech. It looked like Mo was choked up during Jeter's speech too. Late in the game you just got the feeling there was no way in hell they were letting someone beat them not tonight.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:00:11 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #592 on: July 18, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »

I saw the debacle that AJ Burnett created today with his self inflicted wounds that caused his early exit in the 3rd inning.  He's got to be as frustrating to watch and/or cheer for for Yankee fans as Daisuke is for Red Sox fans.  For different reasons of course, but both are hard to pull for at times for the respected fanbases I'd have to imagine.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #593 on: July 18, 2010, 06:16:05 PM »

I saw the debacle that AJ Burnett created today with his self inflicted wounds that caused his early exit in the 3rd inning.  He's got to be as frustrating to watch and/or cheer for for Yankee fans as Daisuke is for Red Sox fans.  For different reasons of course, but both are hard to pull for at times for the respected fanbases I'd have to imagine.
I really wanna smack him upsde the head sometimes. We lost Pettitte today to a strained hamstring. No word yet on its severity or how long he may be out.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »

I really wanna smack him upsde the head sometimes. We lost Pettitte today to a strained hamstring. No word yet on its severity or how long he may be out.
Yeah, I saw that.  Amazingly it didn't effect them TODAY, going up against Rays ace and AL All Star starter David Price.  But IF Andy and/or AJ are to miss some time, that could be a concern.  They've dealt with some injuries this season, but mostly to their position players and they have enough depth in their lineup where they can overcome those.  For the most part, they've avoided the injury bug on the pitching front.  That could be tougher to deal with.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #595 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:26 PM »

Yeah, I saw that.  Amazingly it didn't effect them TODAY, going up against Rays ace and AL All Star starter David Price.  But IF Andy and/or AJ are to miss some time, that could be a concern.  They've dealt with some injuries this season, but mostly to their position players and they have enough depth in their lineup where they can overcome those.  For the most part, they've avoided the injury bug on the pitching front.  That could be tougher to deal with.

Yeah, with Burnett i'm more concerned about how eratic he is then the cuts on his hands. Those should heal rather quickly. Pettitte is of much more concern to me. You're taking a guy out of our rotation that isi having maybe the best year of his career. 11-2 2.70 ERA before that homer he gave up today. Hamstrings are tough injuries and cant take awhile to come back from. Being un able to aquire Lee now is looming pretty large.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #596 on: July 19, 2010, 08:12:43 AM »

Andy has a grade 1 groin strain.  Probably out 4 to 5 weeks (including rehab time), so we'll see him back in late August.  That hurts....we'll see what the Yanks do about it.  Right now, Mitre takes the ball Saturday (a game I'm at...lucky me).  There's speculation that the Yanks might go out and get a starter who ALSO could play an 8th inning role once Andy comes back, as a "safety net" (and, I'd say, "encouragement") for Joba.   The other option being bandied about is to go out and get a starter to cover the time Andy is out, and then when he gets back....shuffle Hughes (who will be approaching his innings limit by then...especially if you're looking like you're going to make a playoff run) out to the pen to, again, provide an 8th inning bridge to Mo.

What I WOULD do is skip Javi tomorrow, pitch CC on regular rest...and let Javi pitch on Saturday.  Alternately, you could do the same with Hughes (skip him tomorrow, and then pitch him Saturday), but I think they're a little gun shy after what happened when they skipped him last time.  And THEN look for a longer term solution.

They're saying AJ won't miss his next start on Friday.  We'll see.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #597 on: July 19, 2010, 01:45:02 PM »

Well, Pedro is still a free agent..

Seems like it - Escobar was hitting around .375 with a Grand Slam yesterday, and in his first game as a Jay he had 1 hit, second game 2 hits, third game 3 hits Wink
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:52:23 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #598 on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »

ed_price - Source: #RedSox and #Yankees both have "big-time"
interest in #BlueJays Scott Downs (2.56 ERA, 31 H, 8 BB, 30 SO in 38.2 IP).
about 11 hours ago via TweetDeck

In case you don't know who Ed Price is, like me.

Bio Baseball writer for FanHouse.com

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #599 on: July 20, 2010, 09:50:37 PM »

I can't beleve TWO vary respected people in the game have died in such a short time.

Yanks got some Real bad luck with that.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: