Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161523 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #520 on: July 02, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »

And the injury woes continue.  Seems the Sox can't go a few days without suffering a catastrophic injury lately.  Jason Varitek broke his foot during Wednesday's game.  The injury appears to be similar to the one Pedroia suffered, so he should be out for 6 weeks as well, maybe a little longer since he's older than Dustin and probably doesn't heal as quickly.  So now they're down to their 3rd string catcher, and since they only had 2 catchers on the roster to start the season they had to go outside the organization and acquire Kevin Cash, again.

This is beginning to get ri-god-damn-diculous!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #521 on: July 02, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »

Oh, and on a lesser note.  Manny Delcarmen was also place on the DL.  But he's awful so that certainly doesn't hurt the team.  It does add to the ridiculous list though.

From boston.com

The addition of Manny Delcarmen and Varitek will give the Red Sox 10 players on the disabled list — five since June 24. So far, the Sox have had players miss 424 games while on the disabled list.

That number is about to go way up.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #522 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:22 PM »

And the injury woes continue.  Seems the Sox can't go a few days without suffering a catastrophic injury lately.  Jason Varitek broke his foot during Wednesday's game.  The injury appears to be similar to the one Pedroia suffered, so he should be out for 6 weeks as well, maybe a little longer since he's older than Dustin and probably doesn't heal as quickly.  So now they're down to their 3rd string catcher, and since they only had 2 catchers on the roster to start the season they had to go outside the organization and acquire Kevin Cash, again.

I saw they picked up Cash, via trade, last night.  I THOUGHT it was just so they had an MLB ready backup at catcher.

Yikes.

Him AND Delcarmen (who, while not great, is at least an MLB arm in the pen).  Pretty soon I expect the Sox to have to call up some little league players to fill those holes.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #523 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »

You gotta be wondering what's gonna go wrong next at this point.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #524 on: July 03, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »

You gotta be wondering what's gonna go wrong next at this point.
They've persevered and actually gained ground through all these injuries.  BUT, at a point it has to become too much and catch up with them.  Luckily they're playing the O's this weekend, though they've had their troubles with them this year.  Somehow they're only 1/2 game out of first.  As long as their pitching can continue to give them chances to win every game though, they may be alright.  At least I hope.

But honestly they could almost field a complete team from guys on the DL that could compete with the current roster.

C - Varitek
1B - Martinez
2B - Pedroia
3B - Lowell
SS - Lowrie
LF - Hermida
CF - Ellsbury
RF - (Drew) - he's never a sure bet to play
SP - Beckett
RP - Delcarmen

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #525 on: July 03, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »

They should still be 1 1/2 out. The yankees should have won that one today. We finally get a good start from Burnett and Joba and the rest of the pen implodes.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #526 on: July 03, 2010, 01:30:06 AM »

I am in a ROTO league and I need to make a move. I am in desperate need of a 2b and one more pitcher

Would it be retarded to trade Pujols for Roy Halladay and Brandon Phillips?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #527 on: July 03, 2010, 10:31:50 AM »

I am in a ROTO league and I need to make a move. I am in desperate need of a 2b and one more pitcher

Would it be retarded to trade Pujols for Roy Halladay and Brandon Phillips?
Never easy to trade Albert, but that actually doesn't look all that bad.  Depends on what you currently have I guess.  Obviously you're going to lose A LOT in the HR and RBI category between Pujols and Phillips.  Then again I'm assuming Phillips would be a major upgrade over whoever you have at 2B now and obviously you'll have a downgrade from Pujols at 1B, but how big?  Phillips is an upgrade over Albert in SB's and runs so far.  Halladay hasn't been quite as dominant as I expected, but he's still among the best starters in the game.

I guess if you have a somewhat suitable replacement for Albert lined up and whoever you have at 2B right now is just not good, then you can pull the trigger.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #528 on: July 03, 2010, 08:01:47 PM »

Well i got Ty Wigginton or however u spell it at 2nd

First base, Id have to stick Mark Reynolds there and hope he can keep matching Alberts HR and RBI totals.

I also am behind in stolen bases thanks to Jacoby Ellsbury missing bout the whole season.

My staff is good as it is, Halladay really catapults it

Id have

Halladay
Lincecum
kershaw
Latos
Zito
Pelfrey

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #529 on: July 04, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »

Might as well keep it going.  Today's DL move for the Red Sox.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/07/buchholz_headed.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:sox

Buchholz headed to DL

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff July 4, 2010 11:18 AM

Terry Francona just said Clay Buchholz would not pitch in Tampa and is likely to be placed on the DL retroactive to last Sunday. They're not willing to take a chance he really pops that hamstring.

No announcement yet, but Felix Doubront is a good candidate to start on Tuesday.

Francona also spoke a little cryptically when asked about Mike Lowell, indicating some sort of decision was pending.

Could be his release. That would make sense for all parties.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #530 on: July 04, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »

Also, kind of a strange stat I saw last night.  For the 3rd consecutive season the Red Sox are 49-32 after 81 games.  That's being pretty consistent.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2010, 05:09:36 PM »

It seems like the sox are inadvertetenly trying to field a AAA team. Man its just insane the injuries they're being hit with.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »

AL All Star Roster:
Starters
Pos Player
 C  Joe Mauer, MIN
1B  Justin Morneau, MIN
2B  Robinson Cano, NYY
SS  Derek Jeter, NYY
3B  Evan Longoria, TB
OF  Josh Hamilton, TEX
OF  Ichiro Suzuki, SEA
OF  Carl Crawford, TB
DH  Vladimir Guerrero, TEX
Pitchers
P Clay Buchholz, BOS
P Trevor Cahill, OAK
P Fausto Carmona, CLE
P Neftali Feliz, TEX
P Phil Hughes, NYY
P Cliff Lee, SEA
P Jon Lester, BOS
P David Price, TB
P Mariano Rivera, NYY
P CC Sabathia, NYY
P Joakim Soria, KC
P Matt Thornton, CWS
P Jose Valverde, DET

Reserves
Pos Player
C John Buck, TOR**
C Victor Martinez, BOS*
1B Miguel Cabrera, DET
2B Dustin Pedroia, BOS*
2B Ian Kinsler, TEX***
2B Ty Wigginton, BAL
SS Elvis Andrus, TEX
3B Adrian Beltre, BOS
3B Alex Rodriguez, NYY
OF Jose Bautista, TOR
OF Torii Hunter, LAA
OF Vernon Wells, TOR
DH David Ortiz, BOS

* Chosen on Player Ballot, on the DL
** Replaces Victor Martinez
*** Replaces Dustin Pedroia
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:56:28 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »

NL All Star Roster:

Starters
Pos Player
C  Yadier Molina, STL
1B  Albert Pujols, STL
2B  Chase Utley, PHI+
SS  Hanley Ramirez, FLA
3B  David Wright, NYM
OF  Ryan Braun, MIL
OF  Andre Ethier, LAD
OF  Jason Heyward, ATL

Pitchers
P Jonathan Broxton, LAD
P Matt Capps, WAS
P Chris Carpenter, STL
P Yovani Gallardo, MIL
P Roy Halladay, PHI
P Tim Hudson, ATL
P Ubaldo Jimenez, COL
P Josh Johnson, FLA
P Tim Lincecum, SF
P Evan Meek, PIT
P Arthur Rhodes, CIN
P Adam Wainwright, STL
P Brian Wilson, SF

Reserves
Pos Player
C Brian McCann, ATL
1B Adrian Gonzalez, SD
1B Ryan Howard, PHI
2B Brandon Phillips, CIN
2B Martin Prado, ATL++
SS Jose Reyes, NYM+++
SS Troy Tulowitzki, COL*
3B Omar Infante, ATL
3B Scott Rolen, CIN
OF Michael Bourn, HOU
OF Marlon Byrd, CHC
OF Corey Hart, MIL
OF Matt Holliday, STL
OF Chris Young, ARI

+ Chosen by fans, on the DL
++ Replaces Chase Utley in starting lineup
+++ Replaces Troy Tulowitzki
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:57:20 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #534 on: July 06, 2010, 08:31:14 PM »

Alright, I'm beginiing to think we've pissed off the baseball Gods.

Most of our teams of interest around here are just being flat out killed by injuries.

Phils, Yanks, Mets, Sox, Dodgers and now more fucking bad news for the Cards.

Penny suffered a setback today with his lat and now tricep issues have sent him back to StL for additional tests slimming chances of returning to the rotation after the break.

Add this to Ludwick, Lohse, Freese among the wounded..

WTF???

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #535 on: July 06, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »

One more note of (dis)interest:

Newsflash: Matt Holliday has committed to the Home Run Derby.

Talk about played out -time to put the HRD to bed.

I guess Bud can always fall back on the HRD winners league getting home field for the World Series in case the (exhibition) All Star game finishes in another tie...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #536 on: July 07, 2010, 01:35:46 AM »

Forgot to mention this when the rosters were announced, but Alex Rodriguez does not belong on the All Star team.  Not this year.  Girardi took him and I guess that's what you get when you win the World Series but the All Star game is supposed to be about what a player has done THIS season.  And Alex just hasn't played at an All Star level in the first half.

It could also be argued that Jared Weaver deserved the nod to take Buchholz' place over Pettitte, but both guys are deserving.  With the game being IN Anaheim though, Weaver may have deserved it over Andy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:37:47 AM by faldor » Logged

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #537 on: July 07, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »

Forgot to mention this when the rosters were announced, but Alex Rodriguez does not belong on the All Star team.  Not this year.  Girardi took him and I guess that's what you get when you win the World Series but the All Star game is supposed to be about what a player has done THIS season.  And Alex just hasn't played at an All Star level in the first half.

It could also be argued that Jared Weaver deserved the nod to take Buchholz' place over Pettitte, but both guys are deserving.  With the game being IN Anaheim though, Weaver may have deserved it over Andy.

On Alex...I agree (although his numbers aren't exactly bad...just "bad" for A-rod)..  But other managers have done the SAME thing in years past, so it's hard to beat Girardi up over it.  Manuel, himself, has done it with Ryan Howard.  That's the perk of getting to a WS and getting to manage the AS game:  You get to bring some of your "boys".

As for Weaver....I agree, except for one problem:  He's slated to pitch on Sunday so wouldn't be eligible to be a replacement for the AS game.  Girardi WAS going to replace CC (who also pitches Sunday) with Andy, anyway.  So Andy gets the call for Bucholz, and now "someone else" will replace CC as soon as he throws one pitch on Sunday.  IF, for some reason Weaver doesn't take his start on Sunday...it'll probably be him. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #538 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »

OK...you have GOT to be fucking kidding me:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38119205/ns/sports-baseball/

It sounds relatively minor, but.....jeez.  Somebody must have made themselves a rash of Red Sox voodoo dolls.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #539 on: July 07, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »

A-Rod's power numbers may not be where you would expect them to be but he still has been very very good when it counts. He has been driving in a ton of runs just not with the homer although he had two last night and 5 rbi. He has gotten many big hits that either gave us the lead or tied the game for us this year.

As for Weaver i agree he deserves to go but like Pilferk said he won't be able to pitch. Neither will Sabbathia.  I'm curious to see who Girardi replaces him with. I would assume someone eligible to pitch like Pettitte. He is very deserving after the first half he has had. I am glad Hughes made it and was actually picked by his peers not Girardi. Having your peers think you belong there must mean a lot. Hopefully he gets into the game i am sure his family and friends will be there. What a thrill that will be for them.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: