Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161374 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »

Phils are gonna kick their ass this weekend!!!

just kidding. Hopefully we continue to play well and win the series. I am going to the game Sunday. it's on track to be Halladay vs Beckett, but of course it's pouring rain today, AND with us playing 2 2-game series this week, there's no chance of a make-up game.

wow. just saw the box score for the game last night. looks like a crazy one. I've been out of the loop lately so haven't been following the AL much. looks like TB is for real, and the red sox have some major problems.

TB is good.  Very good.  But they've also benefitted from a relatively soft schedule.  I won't "believe" until they play some decent teams and squeak out some wins.  We'll see how they do over the next couple days.

Hey, what happened with Utley last night??  I was watching the game in pieces, and noticed he wasn't playing.  He's not hurt, is he?  That would be BAD for the Phils.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »

Just heard Peter Gammons on Dan Patrick utter words I never thought I'd hear him say or at least admit to.

Patrick asked if he thought the Yanks/Sox thing had ran it's course to which Gammons replied (paraphrasing) "It's absolutely played out, I'd rather fly to Tampa and watch the Rays/Yanks anyday."

Can't say I disagree, I did not watch one pitch of the last 2 series between the teams.

As followers of both teams, what do you guys think?

Pilf, Faldor, Tim - thoughts?

Not old for me, yet.  It seems like they're ALWAYS wild games, and you can cut the tension with a knife.  I mean..the sox are closer to last than they are to first...and yet last night's game was fraught with tension, drama, and emotion.  I mean, it's one game of a 162, in MAY (no less) and the atmosphere (and the hype coming out of it) was almost getting close to "playoff" levels.  Still crazy interesting for me.

And if I had to choose between Fenway and the Trop...I'd take Fenway every time.  Fenway may be a bit dingy, but it's a great place to watch a game (even if the seats DO make your ass ache).  The Trop flat out sucks.  It's only advantage?  Cheap seats, padded and close to the action.

A quick aside to another "played out" trend - is anyone else totally sick of the softball jersey look a bunch of teams are now going with?  That is "colored" jerseys for both home and away at times?  I can't fucking stand it.

Home whites, road greys damnit.

Agree, 100%.  Thankfully,the Yanks still abide by this.  Pinstripes at home, grey/blue on the road. 

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »

Wow... another shutout from Phil Hughes. This kid is for real it seems.

Not quite so good, last night...

Park is getting a bit of a hard time..but he pitched one decent inning.  I think Joe was pushing his luck asking a guy who had been on the DL for almost a month to give more than that his first time out.  That being said...he was dreadful.  The Sox just seem to have him figured out.

I think we had a conversation awhile back (in the 2009 thread, maybe?) about Papelbon and what would probably happen if he lost some of that velocity and continued to rely on his fastball.

I think we saw the answer to that question last night.....

I don't know WHY he lost that few mph off his fastball (announcers said he'd put in a long outing a couple nights ago?), and I don't think that's going to be the "norm" this year either.   But it should be a pretty big wake up call to him about over relying in the fast ball down the road.

A solid win for the Yanks, but a TOUGH loss for the Sox.  It's starting to get a little late, 9 losses out of first, for everyone to be saying it's early.  They're not done, but they have a TOUGH stretch in their schedule right now....they COULD be in BIG trouble unless they turn things around, and quick.

Yeah, i mean he wasn't terrible last night. He got ahead of hitters. He threw lots of strikes he just couldn't put them away though. The sox hitters made the kid work and by the 5th he was clearly tired. Now how much of his trouble was having an off night or the sox hitters just being tough outs? I'd say a combination of both. I would expect him to be better next time out. When he has his best stuff working for him he can be downright unhittable.

As for Park, Joe was clearly pushing it there with a guy who was just off the DL. I can only assume he thought Joba and Mo had too much work the previous day against the Twins.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »

Just heard Peter Gammons on Dan Patrick utter words I never thought I'd hear him say or at least admit to.

Patrick asked if he thought the Yanks/Sox thing had ran it's course to which Gammons replied (paraphrasing) "It's absolutely played out, I'd rather fly to Tampa and watch the Rays/Yanks anyday."

Can't say I disagree, I did not watch one pitch of the last 2 series between the teams.

Not old for me, yet.  It seems like they're ALWAYS wild games, and you can cut the tension with a knife.  I mean..the sox are closer to last than they are to first...and yet last night's game was fraught with tension, drama, and emotion.  I mean, it's one game of a 162, in MAY (no less) and the atmosphere (and the hype coming out of it) was almost getting close to "playoff" levels.  Still crazy interesting for me.

And if I had to choose between Fenway and the Trop...I'd take Fenway every time.  Fenway may be a bit dingy, but it's a great place to watch a game (even if the seats DO make your ass ache).  The Trop flat out sucks.  It's only advantage?  Cheap seats, padded and close to the action.

A quick aside to another "played out" trend - is anyone else totally sick of the softball jersey look a bunch of teams are now going with?  That is "colored" jerseys for both home and away at times?  I can't fucking stand it.

Agree, 100%.  Thankfully,the Yanks still abide by this.  Pinstripes at home, grey/blue on the road. 

Agreed on both.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »

Same with the Cards - home whites with red caps, road  greys with navy caps.

Old school tradition.

Now if we could just wave a magic wand and eliminate the oh so tired interleague play..

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:51:42 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »

I love interleague play. Gives you a chance to see games/players you otherwise wouldn't be able to see whether it be on TV, or better yet, in a live environment.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »

I wouldn't say I'm sick of Yankees/Red Sox, but I will say that the rivalry isn't as heated as it once was.  At least with the players, outside of maybe Joba/Youkilis it's pretty much a lovefest.  The fans from both teams still hate the opposing team as much, but I will say that I think the unbalanced schedule is lame and needs to be changed.  It's completely unfair when the wild card is thrown into play.  It's one thing to have all those divisional games to help decide the division winner, but teams in the AL Central and West have an easier schedule than teams in the East.  Of course it hasn't mattered recently as the wild card has usually come from the East but it still doesn't make any sense to me.

Interleague play has run its course for me as well.  I could care less about it outside of a few series, and having the AL pitchers hit is a big disadvantage.  I know they're not going to do away with interleague play, but maybe narrow it down so you play the same teams from year to year for the most part.  Maybe switch one or two teams a year.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »

That red sox/yankee series what the fuck? Those were two of the most shittiest games i've ever witnessed. No one on either team did a fucking thing right. Awful fielding awful pitching. No one could make a play in the field or make a pitch. Both managers need to scream at a couple of players. Thames and Chamberlain in particular for the yankees and Scutaro for the red sox. He made two horrible errors. I felt like i was watching two minor league games in this series. Oh and count the yankee outfield too. What the hell are you doing playing so shallow with two fucking outs? If you give up a hit in front of you fine but no excuse for letting it go over your head like that. Just completely awful baseball for both teams. There is no excuse for it both of these teams are MUCH better then what went on in the last 48 hours at yankee stadium. Games like those two make managers want to bang their heads agsinst a wall.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:27:42 AM by Timothy25 » Logged
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »

Yeah, luckily the Celtics were playing so I didn't have to suffer through the full nine innings with every pitch.  I saw enough.  Glad I missed Scutaro's first error.  Yet another rent-a-shortstop for the Sox.  We'll get it right one of these years.  Where's Nomar when you need him?  They actually have a young SS in the system that's supposed to be the future, but Marco is supposed to man the position until he's ready for the next 2 years.  He has been unspectacular to say the least though. 

What's up with Joba though?  Just a little slump?  I didn't see all of the eighth but I saw him give up the runs.  Not good.  Papelbon bounced back nicely tonight.  At least he was able to keep the ball in the yard.  That always helps.  Beckett looks like he may be DL bound, so get ready Wakefield.  Well, at least they were able to split.  Could've easily won or lost both, so I guess a split is about all you can ask for.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2010, 02:37:41 AM »

Yeah, luckily the Celtics were playing so I didn't have to suffer through the full nine innings with every pitch.  I saw enough.  Glad I missed Scutaro's first error.  Yet another rent-a-shortstop for the Sox.  We'll get it right one of these years.  Where's Nomar when you need him?  They actually have a young SS in the system that's supposed to be the future, but Marco is supposed to man the position until he's ready for the next 2 years.  He has been unspectacular to say the least though. 

What's up with Joba though?  Just a little slump?  I didn't see all of the eighth but I saw him give up the runs.  Not good.  Papelbon bounced back nicely tonight.  At least he was able to keep the ball in the yard.  That always helps.  Beckett looks like he may be DL bound, so get ready Wakefield.  Well, at least they were able to split.  Could've easily won or lost both, so I guess a split is about all you can ask for.

Unfortunately i didn't keep it turned off like i should've, It was painful to watch. Scutaro just seems to simply lose concentration a lot and take his eye off the ball on plays that should be routine.

I wish i had an idea what is up with Joba. This is two nights in a row he couldn't find the strike zone if he used a beach ball. I hope its just a little slump cause if we can't count on him to get us to Mo we're in trouble. I don't know who can step into that role if he can't do it. Robertson has been garbage. Park is just off the DL. Marte has been unspectacular. Logan hasn't been that great. The error by Thames was just a disaster. You saw that coming from the minute that ball was hit. Then Winn letting the ball go over his head to give the Sox the lead. I know they were hoping for a play at the plate in the case of a hit but just can't allow a ball to get over your head with two outs. Is that the lastest on Beckett that he's likely going on the DL? That is gonna hurt you guys even more. By all accounts Papelbon should've blown it tonight too. We had man on third and one out. There's no excuse for not getting that runner home. You have to get that guy home someway.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »

Well Beckett says he doesn't feel as bad as he did when he was scratched for his last start, but he did re-injure himself and he's been less than stellar so far this season.  So I wouldn't think it'd be the worst scenario if they'd sit Josh down for a little bit until he's back or at least close to 100%.  Especially since they have a viable option in Wakefield to turn to.  He's pitched better than Josh so far, so they wouldn't be losing much there.  Obviously they're going to need Josh if they have any chance at even sniffing the playoffs this year, so however they can do that is all that's important.  Whether it's let him heal, or let him work through his struggles while he's less than 100%, that's up to them.

The one thing the Sox can take out of these 2 games is that they may have exposed the Yankees a little bit.  Maybe Joba is just going through a rough stretch and he'll turn it around, but I don't think he's anywhere near as effective as he was when he first came into the league.  It's tough to blame Rivera much for last night, but that's 2 games in a row he's lost.  And being forced to play Thames because of injuries is obviously not to their benefit.  Granted he can hit the hell out of the ball at times, but he leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side.  These guys are backup players for a reason, just like Darnell McDonald and to a point Jeremy Hermida are for the Red Sox.  They can fill in for stints, but if they're asked to do it for an extended period of time, their deficiencies show through.  So if the Sox can ever get healthy again and turn things around things might begin to look up, but as of yet they've shown no signs.  Until then they're just treading water around the .500 mark.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #351 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »

Phils are gonna kick their ass this weekend!!!

just kidding. Hopefully we continue to play well and win the series. I am going to the game Sunday. it's on track to be Halladay vs Beckett, but of course it's pouring rain today, AND with us playing 2 2-game series this week, there's no chance of a make-up game.

wow. just saw the box score for the game last night. looks like a crazy one. I've been out of the loop lately so haven't been following the AL much. looks like TB is for real, and the red sox have some major problems.

TB is good.  Very good.  But they've also benefitted from a relatively soft schedule.  I won't "believe" until they play some decent teams and squeak out some wins.  We'll see how they do over the next couple days.

Hey, what happened with Utley last night??  I was watching the game in pieces, and noticed he wasn't playing.  He's not hurt, is he?  That would be BAD for the Phils.

gotcha on TB.

Utley has the flu. he was out last night too.

halladay pitching vs the pirates and we lose. at the end of the season when everything is coming down to a game or 2, i'll remember that one.

i was happy they got the game in so now i can see Halladay vs. the Red Sox on Sunday. i work with 2 die hard Sox fans and they were excited Halladay got traded out of the AL, and are dreading having to face him again. but i just heard beckett is hurt? i hope he can play. i'd like the marquee matchup and i love cheering against that guy.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »

Well Beckett says he doesn't feel as bad as he did when he was scratched for his last start, but he did re-injure himself and he's been less than stellar so far this season.  So I wouldn't think it'd be the worst scenario if they'd sit Josh down for a little bit until he's back or at least close to 100%.  Especially since they have a viable option in Wakefield to turn to.  He's pitched better than Josh so far, so they wouldn't be losing much there.  Obviously they're going to need Josh if they have any chance at even sniffing the playoffs this year, so however they can do that is all that's important.  Whether it's let him heal, or let him work through his struggles while he's less than 100%, that's up to them.

The one thing the Sox can take out of these 2 games is that they may have exposed the Yankees a little bit.  Maybe Joba is just going through a rough stretch and he'll turn it around, but I don't think he's anywhere near as effective as he was when he first came into the league.  It's tough to blame Rivera much for last night, but that's 2 games in a row he's lost.  And being forced to play Thames because of injuries is obviously not to their benefit.  Granted he can hit the hell out of the ball at times, but he leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side.  These guys are backup players for a reason, just like Darnell McDonald and to a point Jeremy Hermida are for the Red Sox.  They can fill in for stints, but if they're asked to do it for an extended period of time, their deficiencies show through.  So if the Sox can ever get healthy again and turn things around things might begin to look up, but as of yet they've shown no signs.  Until then they're just treading water around the .500 mark.

I completely agree with Joba. He doesn't seem to have the same stuff he used to. One day he'll be hitting 96 the next day 90-91. He's been way too inconsistant this year. I don't know what his problem is but he and the yankees need to figure it out. I think a big part of his problem is he didn't have enough time in the minors. I mean look at Hughes, he had much more time in the minors and he is finally turning into a complete pitcher with 4 shutdown pitches. I can't really blame Rivera at all for last night. Thames needs to make that play period and so does Winn with the ball over his head. He should've been deeper. Last night the blame belongs almost solely on Joba. The previous night moreso Rivera. But we all know Rivera will bounce back from this. He's too good not to. Joba? Whoknows. We badly need Granderson to come back from that hamstring injury and for Swisher to get over that bicep issue. Granderson still looks on pace for late may early june. Hopefully that happens and he has no setbacks.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »

Finally caught a game at the new Yankee Stadium for the first time, went last night.  Bad night for the Yankees, game was not as close as the 10-6 score.  I hadn't realized how banged up they are.  Posada, Granderson, Johnson and Swisher were all out; their subs were guys I've never heard of.  Very sloppy defensive play (not counting one incredible acrobatic catch by Gardner), there were at least 3 plays that should have been called errors, but weren't.

As for my Mets, they started a career minor-league knuckleballer yesterday, who pitched better than any of their other starters in recent games.  They still lost, though.  I think Manuel/Minaya are gone by June 1st. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »

I watched a bit of the Rays/Bombers game last night as well, it was indeed ugly for the Yanks.  The Rays just seemed relentless, very impresssive.

That said, I still think the Yanks will end up going further in the long run - too much experience.

It's going to be fun to watch regardless.

As for the Mets, Manuel and Minaya have been on borrowed time for a while now. 

Time to put their era to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:55:27 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »

I watched a bit of the Rays/Bombers game last night as well, it was indeed ugly for the Yanks.  The Rays just seemed relentless, very impresssive.

That said, I still think the Yanks will end up going further in the long run - too much experience.

It's going to be fun to watch regardless.

As for the Mets, Manuel and Minaya have been on borrowed time for a while now.  Time to their era to sleep.

The problem right now is this:

About 1/2 our regular lineup is hurt:  Granderson, Swisher, Posada, Johnson.

That hurts our run production, for sure...but it's KILLING us defensively.  Last night you had Thames (and then Pena..which is just unforgiveable) in RF, Winn in LF, and JUAN MIRANDA playing 1st base (so Tex could take a day at DH).  Over the past 2 games, all 3 (and all 4 if you include Pena last night) have had HORRIBLE misplays on balls.  Some have been called errors, some haven't...but in almost every case they've been the lynchpin to the other team scoring runs.

Granted AJ was not great last night.  But his defense, on a couple of occasions, also failed him.  Ditto the bullpen has been a mess...but the defense has failed THEM as well.  Both Joba and Mo, against the sox, had muffed defensive plays that, had they been made, would have ended innings and limited (if not eliminated, in Mo's case) the damage. 

They're in tough shape.  Losing Posada is actually the LEAST objectionable injury so far, since Cervelli is serviceable behind the plate and his offense has been a bonus.  Losing Thames, assuming they can get someone up who can play defense, might be a blessing in disguise (his HR to beat the Sox not withstanding). 

It's likely to be ugly until they can get people back into playing shape...then they should be OK.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54:52 PM »

Everybody ready for an exciting weekend of interleague goofiness?

Just can't wait for that Cards/Angels showdown at Busch!!  Roll Eyes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #357 on: May 21, 2010, 01:05:51 AM »

Yeah, for every Mets/Yankees big time rivalry there's a bunch of meaningless matchups with no glitz.  Tampa vs. Houston, Colorado vs. KC, Cubs vs. Texas, Dodgers vs. Tigers, SD vs. Seattle!  Wow, if those series don't get the average MLB fan going, I don't know what will.  Tongue

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2010, 09:36:32 AM »

Yeah, for every Mets/Yankees big time rivalry..

Hell, do Yankee fans even consider this a "rivalry" or even remotely interesting at this point?

It's novelty baseball to me, winner drinks a keg in the parking lot.

Not to the point of the All Star game getting home field advantage for the WS (don't get me started) but getting close...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2010, 12:47:03 PM »

I imagine the Mets Vs Yankies rivaly is close to the White Sox and Cubs.

Speaking of which I think my parents mentioned about having tickets to one of those games but I am not sure.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: