Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161286 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »

Anyone familiar with the Baltimore area (specifically, right around the ball park)?

I'm looking for recommendation for a clean, relatively inexpensive room for a couple days in September.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

Five series wins in a row to start the season!!  Twins win Twins!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2010, 09:14:03 AM »

Anyone familiar with the Baltimore area (specifically, right around the ball park)?

I'm looking for recommendation for a clean, relatively inexpensive room for a couple days in September.

I was down there last year for a couple Mets/Orioles games.  If you plan on staying in the Inner Harbor area which is like three blocks from the ballpark you are going to be paying a lot more.  It has all the touristy stuff to do like the National Aquarium, warship tours and all that good stuff.  Rooms in decent hotels around there run about $150 a night. 

My best bet is to look for stuff outside Baltimore to save on money....parking is available all over the inner harbor in garages and it is around $20 a day, but you could always stay outside the city and ride the light rail in. 

PS  Oriole Park at Camden Yards is probably my fave ball park right now.  For some reason it just kicks ass...if you're going make sure you visit the Baltimore Sports Hall of Fame right beside it.  Doc Gooden was down there signing autographs last year for the Mets Fans!

Is anyone familiar with Cleveland?  I am going to the Mets/Indians interleague game there on June 16th and maybe 17th.  I'm driving from central PA so it won't be a bad drive but where to stay and what to do?  RNR Hall of a Fame is a must!  Sucks cause I'll be flying solo on this one as the gf is away working, but I will make due by entertaining myself.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:17:40 AM by Bill 213 » Logged

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:57 AM »

I was down there last year for a couple Mets/Orioles games.  If you plan on staying in the Inner Harbor area which is like three blocks from the ballpark you are going to be paying a lot more.  It has all the touristy stuff to do like the National Aquarium, warship tours and all that good stuff.  Rooms in decent hotels around there run about $150 a night. 

My best bet is to look for stuff outside Baltimore to save on money....parking is available all over the inner harbor in garages and it is around $20 a day, but you could always stay outside the city and ride the light rail in. 

PS  Oriole Park at Camden Yards is probably my fave ball park right now.  For some reason it just kicks ass...if you're going make sure you visit the Baltimore Sports Hall of Fame right beside it.  Doc Gooden was down there signing autographs last year for the Mets Fans!

Is anyone familiar with Cleveland?  I am going to the Mets/Indians interleague game there on June 16th and maybe 17th.  I'm driving from central PA so it won't be a bad drive but where to stay and what to do?  RNR Hall of a Fame is a must!  Sucks cause I'll be flying solo on this one as the gf is away working, but I will make due by entertaining myself.

I guess I should clarify:  By "right around", I mean within 10 to 15 minutes drive (so 10 to 20 miles, I guess). 

Together again,
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »

Some pictures from the Royals game Tuesday night. I apologize for them not being the greatest, but my Dad recently took my digital camera for himself and bought me one with so much shit on it, it'll take me until the next Ice Age to learn how to use.

Had a swell time at the ball game though. DeJesus on the Royals lost his bat twice and it almost smoked me and my buddy Kevin right between the eyes both times. Thank Gawd for the hard steel security wall between us and the camera guys Wink

Also, on the way in, security noticed I was wearing a Red Sox jersey and told me I was a week early for them, but when I turned around and showed him it was a Manny jersey, I smiled and said I was already traded Smiley

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:07:01 PM by AxlsMainMan » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »

All I got to say about the White Sox is they better turn things around and fast!!!

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »

Axl'sMainMan nice pictures, hope you had fun love the pictures.  My girlfriend and I are trying to go to every ballpark in the league in the next four years.  Toronto is one I'd absolutely love, hopefully they will play the Mets in interleague play in the next few years, because we'd be there in a second.
So far we've done:

Citi Field (both home openers)
New Yankee Stadium
Philly's Citizens Bank Park for two Mets games last year
Orioles Park at Camden Yards (my absolutely favorite park vs the Mets last year)
Pitt's PNC Park

This year we're doing
Indians, Nationals, Marlins and Rays hopefully.
Next year we're gonna do a midwest trip and hit St. Louis, Wrigley which has been my dream to go to, White Sox, Royals and hopefully the Brewers and Twins depending on scheduling.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2010, 10:30:25 PM »

Woo Mets take 3 of 4 from the Cubbies..........Ike Davis continues to look damn good at first...he's the second coming of John Olerud!

Ahh I was the first to yipe about Bay and his hot and cold streaks, but this one is looking REALLY bad...if he doesn't come out soon I will be hating life.  We need that big bat.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #268 on: April 23, 2010, 10:04:45 AM »

What the hell are the Cubs doing sending Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen?

I have him on my fantasy team and that severely cuts down on his worth.  And after all, it's all about ME!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #269 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »

I guess I should clarify:  By "right around", I mean within 10 to 15 minutes drive (so 10 to 20 miles, I guess). 
Baltimore is a sweet time.  Great city.  Bill is correct.  I'd stay away from the park to cut down on cost.  I think I stayed near the airport, about 20 minutes out.  It's still relatively cheap to take public transportation or a taxi to the area.  Lots of good bars, restaurants, shops, nightlife right around the park too.  And there will be plenty of Yankee fans there.  You'll feel like you're in Yankee Stadium.  Oriole fans must get pissed that they're severely outnumbered when the Yanks/Sox come to town.

Get plenty of crab cakes while you're there.  They're fantastic.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #270 on: April 23, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »

Baltimore is a sweet time.  Great city.  Bill is correct.  I'd stay away from the park to cut down on cost.  I think I stayed near the airport, about 20 minutes out.  It's still relatively cheap to take public transportation or a taxi to the area.  Lots of good bars, restaurants, shops, nightlife right around the park too.  And there will be plenty of Yankee fans there.  You'll feel like you're in Yankee Stadium.  Oriole fans must get pissed that they're severely outnumbered when the Yanks/Sox come to town.

Get plenty of crab cakes while you're there.  They're fantastic.

I've found a couple of options around the airport and a couple a little further north....running about $75 a night.  I can find cheaper, but the reviews on those places make me leary. Smiley

I will ensure that not only will I be eating crab cakes, but some fresh Maryland crab with old bay on rolled out butcher block paper (the ONLY way to eat it!).

3 games in 3 days.  Gonna be fun.  And, even with the premium prices for those games (since the Yanks are in town) they are ridiculously cheaper (and better seats) than what I usually pick up at The Stadium.

ONE of the games (the Saturday game) I'm on the "all you can eat" deck ($55).  That'll be fun.

Friday I'm just to the left of home plate, in field box 52, row 5 ($85) and on Sunday I'm in Field box 50 in row 11 (right behind the Yanks dugout (75$).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:20:18 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »

What the hell are the Cubs doing sending Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen?

I have him on my fantasy team and that severely cuts down on his worth.  And after all, it's all about ME!
hihi hihi hihi
Thats one reason I am not a Cubs fan!

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »

Six straight series wins to start the season! Twins win twins win twins!

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »

Vernon Wells finally earning his $.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »

Let's go Mets!!

New York Mets still have to pay Bobby Bonilla
BY Christian Red, Anthony Mccarron AND Roger Rubin
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS
Tuesday, April 27th 2010, 10:31 AM

BOBBY BO, READY TO GET PAID
If the Mets' lineup needs punch next season, maybe they could call on Bobby Bo. After all, free-agent bust Bobby Bonilla goes back on their payroll in 2011, according to a report on CNN.com, which was confirmed by a source with knowledge of the team's finances.

When the Mets waived Bonilla in 2000, they still owed him $5.9 million, according to the report. Although the numbers don't seem to add up, CNN reported that the Mets will pay Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 to 2035.

*drfonta 7:48 AM
Apr 27, 2010
Believe it or not, the numbers do add up, assuming an average of 8% interest rate. In 2000, the Mets agreed to pay out the remainder of Bonilla's contract by deferring the remaining $5.9 million that he was due. Instead of paying him the balance up front, they came to an agreement where the Mets would pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035. The present value of those payments, assuming an annual interest rate of 8%, is $5.9 million, since 5.9 * 1.0835 * (1.08 ? 1)) / (1.0825 ? 1) = 1.1932482 .
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »

Let's go Mets!!

If the Mets' lineup needs punch next season, maybe they could call on Bobby Bo. After all, free-agent bust Bobby Bonilla goes back on their payroll in 2011, according to a report on CNN.com, which was confirmed by a source with knowledge of the team's finances.

When the Mets waived Bonilla in 2000, they still owed him $5.9 million, according to the report. Although the numbers don't seem to add up, CNN reported that the Mets will pay Bonilla $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 to 2035.

Apr 27, 2010
Believe it or not, the numbers do add up, assuming an average of 8% interest rate. In 2000, the Mets agreed to pay out the remainder of Bonilla's contract by deferring the remaining $5.9 million that he was due. Instead of paying him the balance up front, they came to an agreement where the Mets would pay him 25 equal payments of $1,193,248.20 every July 1 from 2011 until 2035. The present value of those payments, assuming an annual interest rate of 8%, is $5.9 million, since 5.9 * 1.0835 * (1.08 ? 1)) / (1.0825 ? 1) = 1.1932482 .

We were talking about this over on the Yanks board.

drfonta's numbers are ALMOST right, but the almost is sorta big.

Back in 2000, his numbers held true.  If they earned 8% (actually 7.7) the Wilpons would have saved money over the initial 5.9 million payout (about 700k, at that rate of return).

The problem is this:  In the interim, during the grace period (the time when no payments are being made from the principal) the economy hit the shitter.  NOW that money needs to grow at around 18.4%, over the NEXT 26 years, in order for them to realize that same 700k savings.

I guess it should surprise no one that, once again, the Mets make a move that LOOKS like a good one, that LOOKS like it makes sense, but...ultimately looks like it might backfire.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #276 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:51 PM »

SOMEONE (sandman??!!) please explain to me how the Ryan Howard extension makes any semblance of sense?

Why do you sign a player, 2 years before he hits FA, to a MONOLITHIC sized deal when:

a) You don't know how he's going to age, and 2 more years of AB's (or, at least, 1.5 years worth) will tell you a lot more

b) You have a player who's closest comparisons in production and body type have NOT aged well

c) You have a player who, in the grand scheme of things, you don't really have a competitor for in terms of needing/wanting his services...especially amongst the big market teams.  At least not right now!  So why sign him RIGHT now?

The whole deal makes zero sense to me.  I get the touchy feely, be loyal to your guy, once a Philly always a Philly thing.   But there is loyal, and there is stupid.  This deal just looks stupid.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #277 on: April 27, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »

Let's go Mets!!

Apr 27, 2010

We were talking about this over on the Yanks board.

drfonta's numbers are ALMOST right, but the almost is sorta big.

Back in 2000, his numbers held true.  If they earned 8% (actually 7.7) the Wilpons would have saved money over the initial 5.9 million payout (about 700k, at that rate of return).

The problem is this:  In the interim, during the grace period (the time when no payments are being made from the principal) the economy hit the shitter.  NOW that money needs to grow at around 18.4%, over the NEXT 26 years, in order for them to realize that same 700k savings.

I guess it should surprise no one that, once again, the Mets make a move that LOOKS like a good one, that LOOKS like it makes sense, but...ultimately looks like it might backfire.

18.4% would have been no problem if Madoff didn't land in the Big House.  Right, definitely no surprise, Wilpons are as clueless about their finances as they are about baseball.  I guess Bobby Bo "showed them the Bronx".  
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #278 on: April 27, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »

The Howard signing is a headscratcher for sure, no idea why the Phils would go out on that big a limb 2 years away from FA for that long.

Was listening to Jason Stark (great writer by the way) this morning, he said Ryan's original plan was to wait til Pujols signed then ask for more.  Uh, what?Huh

Beyond that, what the hell are they gonna pay Werth, Utley and Rollins??

What's the word in Philly sandman?

EDIT: I don't begrudge any player "gettin paid", Howard is a fine player and seems to be a helluva guy/teammate as well - no problem there.

That said, it's the same feeling I got when the Cards signed Holliday for that much/long with seemingly little competition for his services.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:33:26 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #279 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »

Woooo Mets are finally coming alive! I'm digging it....Ike Davis definitely gave everyone new breath!  Jason Bay finally came alive today too.  Takahashi also came in and saved Ollie Stinky Perez in the fourth too with three great innings.

I'd consider giving that bum $32Million for three years far worse than any other Mets deal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:57:25 PM by Bill 213 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: