Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 09:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161227 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »

Minaya isn't the problem.

The problem starts at the top.

The Wilpons need to go.

I agree that the Wilpons are at least part of the problem.  But they HAVE been willing to spend money, so that's a plus.  And the owners aren't going to go anywhere.

So what they need to do is hire a good baseball guy to be their GM...to teach them how to spend wisely and bring in good players who are going to make for a good clubhouse.  And that GM is going to have to REALLY clean house (not JUST the manager, but that's a start).  You keep parts (like, no brainer, Santanna) but you get rid of LOTS of others.  Because those guys have been poisoned, completely, by the Mets club house and they're not going to go back, IMHO, if they stay with the organization.  There's just not enough respect (or fear) from them, since the inmates have been left to run the asylum.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »

Exactly....the owners are not selling as long as they are banking.  The only thing that the Wilpons seem to be worried about is filling their ballpark....not so much winning....they even lowered their payroll by 30 mil this year.

Minaya and Manuel are the ones to go first.  Get a decent manager who can fire the team up, get a decent GM that cares about the teams needs and doesn't give people like Ollie Perez 32 million for three years and he's failed to produce.  

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »

Twins win the first three series to start the year.  The first time since 1987.  They also have new uniforms for the first time since 1987.  Who won the world series in 1987?  I am seeing a pattern here!!! 

Twins win Twins.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »

Twins win the first three series to start the year.  The first time since 1987.  They also have new uniforms for the first time since 1987.  Who won the world series in 1987?  I am seeing a pattern here!!! 

Twins win Twins.

The Twins are a pleasure to watch every year. I have nothing but respect for Minnesota. Imagine if Santana stayed?  I was happy to see Mauer sign long term with them, as well.
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »

Twins win Twins.

The Twins are a pleasure to watch every year. I have nothing but respect for Minnesota. Imagine if Santana stayed?  I was happy to see Mauer sign long term with them, as well.

Yeah, it was pleasure to watch Santana...best pitcher in the game a few years ago, and still a top slinger.  Twins usually make great trades, which got them Santana.  But the trade to send him to the Mets was not very good.  Twins don't even have top player from that trade anymore, which is fine since it got the twins a shortstop.

Funny about Mauer....I was never a big fan of his a few years ago.  Many people, including myself, called him "baby jesus" around here. MN has this "one of us" complex, so there was so much hype with this guy, more than Morneau during his MVP year.  Mauer hit for average, but he was a slap hitter and didn't drive in any runs.  Last year that changed, and it is looking good this year, so I am officially on the Mauer bandwagon.  Maybe the best hitter in baseball besides the big buy in St Louis.  Average is nice, but your number 3 hitter needs to drive in runs, and now he is doing that.  Kirby Puckett was that type of hitter.

This is a different Twins team this year.  The 3 through 8 hitters can all hit over 30 HRs each. Whereas before, there hadn't been a Twins hitter to hit over 30 HRs since 1987 until Morneau did it a few years ago. The best part of the lineup, is most of it came from the farm system, and they are still young. Small ball is cute, but it is nice to be in scoring position at the plate.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »

Wow the girlfriend and I decided to go check out Florida's ballpark before we embark on our cruise in Sept.  We got 7th row seats for like 15 bucks!!! How rare is that in this day and age....they're like outfield but still for those same seats in NY were like 50+.  Anyhow the Marlins are playing the Cubbies so that will be alright...we're missing the Mets by four days!

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

Leaving for the Yankee game in a little bit -- supposed to rain, hoping it holds off! 7th row behind the Yankee bullpen, should be fun! First time being in the bleachers at the new stadium.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »

Twas 4 rows behind home plate at the Angels/Jays game Friday night. Pretty cool to see Matsui up close. Same seats Tuesday to celebrate the end of exams, pray for my liver smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:19 AM »

Leaving for the Yankee game in a little bit -- supposed to rain, hoping it holds off! 7th row behind the Yankee bullpen, should be fun! First time being in the bleachers at the new stadium.

We were front row in Section 202 (as I mentioned before) for Saturday's game.  It was chilly and overcast, but we didn't see much in the way or rain (couple sprinkles before the game started).  GREAT seats and (obviously) a VERY good game...well, provided you're a Yanks fan.  Other than Ace's spaceout, Yanks pitching was just dominant.

And we got to see A-rods first homer of the year.

Smiley

Back again in early June. Can't wait.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #249 on: April 19, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »

I was just wondering am I the only White Sox fan here???
Since I have not seen anyone else really talk about them.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »

Joe

I am a fan of the Twins beating their ass. Tongue

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:49 PM »

Joe

Low blow man.

Joe

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »

Joe

Unless President Obama is a die-hard Axl supporter, I think you may be on your own Grin
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2010, 02:30:20 PM »

Joe

Unless President Obama is a die-hard Axl supporter, I think you may be on your own Grin
Hehe I am sure he has a soft spot for GN'R I bet he either has not spoken of it or never got a chance to express it!!!

Joe

JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

Joe

Low blow man.

Joe

Nah, its a good rivalry.  The Twins have them beat in terms of regular season head to head record and division titles the last decade, but the sox have the ring during that span, Twinkies don't.  And man, Ozzie is entertaining.

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2010, 07:27:48 PM »

Volquez suspended 50 games
ESPN.com news services

CINCINNATI -- Former All-Star pitcher Edinson Volquez was suspended 50 games Tuesday following a positive test for a performance-enhancing drug, a punishment that will cost him money but won't hurt the Cincinnati Reds' rotation.

The 26-year-old right-hander is recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery and isn't expected to rejoin the Reds until midseason at the earliest. He can serve the suspension from Major League Baseball while continuing his rehabilitation.

Volquez, who was at the team's spring training complex in Goodyear, Ariz., said in a statement he received a prescription in the Dominican Republic as part of his treatment to start a family with his wife. He said the drug was banned by MLB.

"As a result, I tested positive when I reported to spring training," he said. "Although I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and have chosen not to challenge my suspension, I want to assure everyone that this was an isolated incident involving my genuine effort to treat a common medical issue."

Volquez became the first player suspended under the major league drug program since Manny Ramirez of the Los Angeles Dodgers was penalized 50 games last May. His contract included a salary of $445,000, so barring rainouts the suspension will cost him $133,743.

"When he's ready to pitch, he'll be able to pitch," general manager Walt Jocketty said.

The suspension will take effect immediately, MLB spokesman Pat Courtney told ESPN.com. He could be eligible to play starting June 15.

"That's the only good thing," pitcher Bronson Arroyo said. "I'm actually surprised they're letting him do that."

An All-Star in 2008 when he went 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA for the Reds, Volquez was 4-2 with a 4.35 ERA last season before feeling pain in his arm in June. He twice went on the disabled list, the first time with back spasms and then with the elbow injury that finished his season.

"The Reds fully support Major League Baseball's drug policy and its penalties. The organization does not condone in any way the use of drugs not sanctioned by MLB's medical staff," the team said in a statement before Tuesday night's game against the Dodgers.

MLB's labor contract does not allow it to release which drug caused the positive test. A list of drugs that trigger positives is released after each season, without identifying which player used it.

MLB and the players' union repeatedly warn players not to use any substance without guidance from doctors or trainers who are aware of the banned list.

"I was not trying in any way to gain an advantage in my baseball career," Volquez said in his statement. "I am embarrassed by this whole situation and apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates and the entire Reds organization for being a distraction and for causing them any difficulty."

"I simply want to accept the consequences, learn from the mistake and continue to strive to be the best person and baseball player I can be," he said.

Ramirez was suspended after turning over to MLB a prescription for a banned female fertility drug.

Volquez was the first player suspended for a positive test under the big league program since San Francisco Giants pitcher Kelvin Pichardo on March 23, 2009.

The only other players suspended under the major league program last year were New York Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher J.C. Romero, both in January 2009.

There have been 16 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program.

Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said that Volquez's suspension is more evidence that baseball's crackdown on drugs is working.

"It's sad when any player feels that he needs to take a performance-enhancing substance to gain an edge," DuPuy told The Associated Press in Los Angeles. "It's disappointing, but at the same time it underscores the fact that the program is in fact working. And if players are cheating, they're going to get caught."

Volquez signed with Texas as an amateur free agent in 2001 and made his major league debut in 2005, going 0-4 with a 14.21 ERA. He went a combined 3-7 over the next two years and was traded in December 2007 along with pitcher Danny Herrera to the Reds for outfielder Josh Hamilton. Both Volquez and Hamilton were at the 2008 All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Jerry Crasnick and The Associated Press was used in this report.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »

Rockies president McGregor dies at 48
Associated Press

DENVER -- Colorado Rockies president Keli McGregor has died in a hotel room in Salt Lake City, police said Tuesday.

Detective Rick Wall said two of McGregor's associates couldn't get in touch with him, and that someone entered his room at The Grand America Hotel in downtown Salt Lake City and found the 48-year-old McGregor unconscious Tuesday morning.

Keli McGregor
Keli McGregor spent 17 seasons with the Rockies and was named team president in 2001.

Police were called about 11 a.m. ET, and emergency workers arrived on the scene and were unable to revive him.

"There are no signs of foul play. ... Based on the initial investigation, [police and fire officials] did not see anything suspicious," Wall said. "There is nothing suspicious. At this point, it would look like it was some sort of a natural cause or something along those lines."

Wall said the investigation has been turned over to the medical examiner's office, which will determine the cause and time of death.

The Rockies said McGregor was on a business trip with team chairman and CEO Charlie Monfort and executive vice president Greg Feasel.

"Words cannot describe the level of shock and disbelief that we all are feeling this morning at the loss of Keli," Monfort said in a statement. "Our thoughts, our prayers are with Lori and the entire family as we all try to cope and understand how such a tragic loss could occur with such a wonderful man."

McGregor is survived by his wife, Lori, three daughters and a son.

Chief medical examiner for Utah Todd Grey told The Associated Press on Tuesday that state law says the records of the medical examiner are considered confidential. He said his office cannot comment on the specifics of any case without a release from the next of kin.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am very saddened by the sudden and unexpected passing of Keli McGregor," commissioner Bud Selig said. "As President of the Colorado Rockies, Keli was one of our game's rising young stars. He was a great athlete and equally great as a baseball administrator. He was also a great human being. All of baseball will miss him. I offer my condolences and deepest sympathies to his family, friends and the Rockies ballclub."

McGregor was in his 17th season with the Rockies, his ninth as club president. He began his career with the Rockies in October 1993 as senior director of operations. He was promoted to senior vice president in 1996 and executive vice president in 1998.

McGregor went from a walk-on to a second-team All-American tight end in 1984 at Colorado State, where he ranks fifth on the school's all-time receptions list. McGregor was selected by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round of the 1985 NFL draft.

He also played for the Colts and Seahawks during his brief pro career.

He joined the Rockies in 1993 after a four-year stint as an associate athletic director at the University of Arkansas. He also was an assistant football coach for two years, in 1988 and 1989, at the University of Florida, where he earned his master's degree in education with an emphasis on athletic administration.

McGregor, who was born in Primgahr, Iowa, was voted to Colorado State's all-century team in 1992 and was named to the CSU Hall of Fame in 1996.

ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Mobile | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
?2009 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »

Joe

Low blow man.

Joe

Nah, its a good rivalry.  The Twins have them beat in terms of regular season head to head record and division titles the last decade, but the sox have the ring during that span, Twinkies don't.  And man, Ozzie is entertaining.
Yeah I know and Ozzie is a hell of alot of fun. Funny story me and my fam were at a sox game at home we got seats by the dugout right by homeplate and there was this song playing and my mom was dancing Ozzie saw her and was bobing his head!!! hihi hihi hihi

We all laughed so hard at that and if I remember right Sox won that game just dont remember who we were playing.

Joe

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »

What a start tonight by Phil Hughes 7 1/3 inning retiring the first 20 batters only giving up a infield single combacker. A career high in strikeouts 70 strikes and only 31 balls wow. This kid finally seems ready for success in the big leagues.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2010, 05:14:30 AM »

What a start tonight by Phil Hughes 7 1/3 inning retiring the first 20 batters only giving up a infield single combacker. A career high in strikeouts 70 strikes and only 31 balls wow. This kid finally seems ready for success in the big leagues.

Pretty nasty...I guess it wasn't hard to see this coming. The way he threw last year and spring training - Scary to think the Yankees may have a future ace on their hands
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: