Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:21:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161435 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2010, 01:43:12 AM »

Thinking about hitting up a game in Citi Field and Citizens Bank before I head off to school in the fall.

Any recommendations from people who have been there? Going sometime in the end of July probably, only time it fits in my schedule.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #481 on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:41 PM »

I seriously am starting to think its time the yankees cut ties with Buernett. The man simply cannot pitch good on a consistent basis The turd just gave up 5 runs on 3 homers in the first inning.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #482 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »

I seriously am starting to think its time the yankees cut ties with Buernett. The man simply cannot pitch good on a consistent basis The turd just gave up 5 runs on 3 homers in the first inning.

They're not going to.

This is the same story on Burnett.  His stuff would lead you to think he can be an elite pitcher in MLB.  But he just can't seem to put it all together, consistently.  That's been true his whole career, and the Yanks knew it going in.

For every 4 or 5 game stretch of 1.99 ERA, lights out baseball, you're going to get a 4 or 5 game stretch of 6.00 ERA baseball where he either can't locate his fastball, or can't get his breaking stuff to break  AND/OR a stint on the DL.  LAST YEAR was the exception, I think...he was relatively consistent.

Right now, his issue is 100% location.  He has velocity to spare, and his breaking stuff is breaking.  But he can't put the ball where he (and where the catcher) wants it.  It's frustrating to watch, for sure...but it's actually good news because it means he's not hurt, and his stuff is still fine.  The problem is...you throw a 95 mph fastball right down the middle, and most MLB hitters are going to be able to drive that ball.  That's what you saw last night.

I almost wonder if Dave Eiland's leave of absence is effecting him....he and Eiland worked very well together, by all accounts.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:49:00 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #483 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »

Heh...someone must have been reading my mind:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/06/22/how-much-does-a-j-burnett-miss-dave-eiland/

Time to put on that tinfoil hat!!

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #484 on: June 22, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »

Disturbingly hilarious:

http://www.walkoffwalk.com/2010/06/mark-teixeira-idolized-kurt-co.html

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #485 on: June 22, 2010, 03:57:16 PM »

They're not going to.

This is the same story on Burnett.  His stuff would lead you to think he can be an elite pitcher in MLB.  But he just can't seem to put it all together, consistently.  That's been true his whole career, and the Yanks knew it going in.

For every 4 or 5 game stretch of 1.99 ERA, lights out baseball, you're going to get a 4 or 5 game stretch of 6.00 ERA baseball where he either can't locate his fastball, or can't get his breaking stuff to break  AND/OR a stint on the DL.  LAST YEAR was the exception, I think...he was relatively consistent.

Right now, his issue is 100% location.  He has velocity to spare, and his breaking stuff is breaking.  But he can't put the ball where he (and where the catcher) wants it.  It's frustrating to watch, for sure...but it's actually good news because it means he's not hurt, and his stuff is still fine.  The problem is...you throw a 95 mph fastball right down the middle, and most MLB hitters are going to be able to drive that ball.  That's what you saw last night.

I almost wonder if Dave Eiland's leave of absence is effecting him....he and Eiland worked very well together, by all accounts.

Its so damn frustrating. We all know the man has no hit lights out stuff. He just can't consistently repeat his delivery. He never really learned to "pitch". His start last night made me want to puke. I would like to know how he made it in this league so long without never really learning to pitch and mostly being a thrower. You could be on to something with Eiland's absence. Do you have any idea what is up with that? All the games i've watched lately they've mentioned him being gone but they all say unspecified personal reasons.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2010, 07:15:07 PM »

And the yankees continue to puzzle me with their stupid moves. Now they're skipping Hughes' next start in LA. Yeah sit your best pitcher real fuckin smart Girardi grow a brain. The kid has had plenty of innings in the minors. Leave him the fuck alone. If you fuck him up like you did Joba you should lose your job.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »

LOL

If Yankee fans are bitching, 29 other teams' fans should be committing suicide!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #488 on: June 22, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »

LOL

If Yankee fans are bitching, 29 other teams' fans should be committing suicide!

I'm just tired of them babying young pitchers and screwing them up! This kid has a helluva career ahead of him. Just let him pitch. He has been fantastic and our best pitcher. Its Burnett they should be skipping. I also would've liked to see them wait another start to give him a little break. I feel bad for the kid. His next start would've been in front of his hometown. His family and everything surely would've been there. This is so uncool of Girardi.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:49:47 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #489 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »

Its so damn frustrating. We all know the man has no hit lights out stuff. He just can't consistently repeat his delivery. He never really learned to "pitch". His start last night made me want to puke. I would like to know how he made it in this league so long without never really learning to pitch and mostly being a thrower. You could be on to something with Eiland's absence. Do you have any idea what is up with that? All the games i've watched lately they've mentioned him being gone but they all say unspecified personal reasons.

They're being very non-specific and saying it's for a "family issue", but that nobody is sick.

That's it.  Beyond that, the team isn't saying anything, and I can't find any news reports out there either. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #490 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »

And the yankees continue to puzzle me with their stupid moves. Now they're skipping Hughes' next start in LA. Yeah sit your best pitcher real fuckin smart Girardi grow a brain. The kid has had plenty of innings in the minors. Leave him the fuck alone. If you fuck him up like you did Joba you should lose your job.

Actually, he's never thrown more than 150 innings (pro, minors, or combined) in any one season.

2006: 146 innings
2007: 119 innings
2008: 70 innings (injury)
2009: 106 innings

So they do have to build his arm up.  And there some compelling (if not conclusive) data that says if you increase work load too much on a young arm...you're setting them up deal with arm injury, loss of velocity, and a whole host of other issues.

Knowing that, you have 2 options:

1) Don't rest him and take the risk.

2) Rest him and don't take it.

Given Phil's upside, there's just no reason to take that risk....not for, potentially, a  few measly wins.  Given his potential, I'd rather he skip a couple starts this year and see him pitching for the Yanks over the next 10 than to see them risk his arm.

They've said they're not going to do this a lot, and they're not going to handle this like they did with Joba.  His innings limit is going to be around 180...he's thrown 86 so far.  If he can hit 180....the gloves will pretty much be off next year.   And...Thursday is an off day, anyway...so you get to keep the rest of the rotation on schedule (which helps their rhythm and timing).  It's not all that bad.  It's not like you're skipping his start and throwing Gaudin out there to pitch that day.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #491 on: June 23, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »

I'm just tired of them babying young pitchers and screwing them up! This kid has a helluva career ahead of him. Just let him pitch. He has been fantastic and our best pitcher. Its Burnett they should be skipping. I also would've liked to see them wait another start to give him a little break. I feel bad for the kid. His next start would've been in front of his hometown. His family and everything surely would've been there. This is so uncool of Girardi.

Every team in the majors has this kind of limit with young arms....it's just that, typically, it gets worked out in the minors because you don't find many pitchers this early in their career pitching MLB innings.  But you've seen the Nats say similar things with Strausberg.  Price (for TB) saw it too, early on.  This is what teams do, because the data they have seems to indicate NOT doing it can really shorten a guys career.

They're not skipping Burnett.  He's got a fragile enough ego, that carries over enough to the mound, that they're not doing that unless he's hurt or they just have no choice.  If you want any chance of him coming back to be effective this year...you gotta ride the wave.  Again, that's something the Yanks knew going in....this is who AJ is and who he's always been.

Again, the skip just happened to work out this way with the off day.  It's somewhat disappointing for Phil, I'm sure...but I also bet his family understands the Yanks are doing what they think is best for the kids career.  And that has to trump sentiment, etc.

Maybe his family will get a chance to see him pitch in a couple weeks.....at the All Star game. Smiley

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #492 on: June 23, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

They're being very non-specific and saying it's for a "family issue", but that nobody is sick.

That's it.  Beyond that, the team isn't saying anything, and I can't find any news reports out there either. 

Well damn. I hope its nothing serious and he returns soon. He is a damn fine pitching coach.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #493 on: June 23, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »

Actually, he's never thrown more than 150 innings (pro, minors, or combined) in any one season.

2006: 146 innings
2007: 119 innings
2008: 70 innings (injury)
2009: 106 innings

So they do have to build his arm up.  And there some compelling (if not conclusive) data that says if you increase work load too much on a young arm...you're setting them up deal with arm injury, loss of velocity, and a whole host of other issues.

Knowing that, you have 2 options:

1) Don't rest him and take the risk.

2) Rest him and don't take it.

Given Phil's upside, there's just no reason to take that risk....not for, potentially, a  few measly wins.  Given his potential, I'd rather he skip a couple starts this year and see him pitching for the Yanks over the next 10 than to see them risk his arm.

They've said they're not going to do this a lot, and they're not going to handle this like they did with Joba.  His innings limit is going to be around 180...he's thrown 86 so far.  If he can hit 180....the gloves will pretty much be off next year.   And...Thursday is an off day, anyway...so you get to keep the rest of the rotation on schedule (which helps their rhythm and timing).  It's not all that bad.  It's not like you're skipping his start and throwing Gaudin out there to pitch that day.

I'm just concerned they might screw him up mentally like they did Joba, however, Joba does seem to be getting back on track again. He was hitting 98 consistently on the gun last night with his fastball and slider.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #494 on: June 23, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »

Every team in the majors has this kind of limit with young arms....it's just that, typically, it gets worked out in the minors because you don't find many pitchers this early in their career pitching MLB innings.  But you've seen the Nats say similar things with Strausberg.  Price (for TB) saw it too, early on.  This is what teams do, because the data they have seems to indicate NOT doing it can really shorten a guys career.

They're not skipping Burnett.  He's got a fragile enough ego, that carries over enough to the mound, that they're not doing that unless he's hurt or they just have no choice.  If you want any chance of him coming back to be effective this year...you gotta ride the wave.  Again, that's something the Yanks knew going in....this is who AJ is and who he's always been.

Again, the skip just happened to work out this way with the off day.  It's somewhat disappointing for Phil, I'm sure...but I also bet his family understands the Yanks are doing what they think is best for the kids career.  And that has to trump sentiment, etc.

Maybe his family will get a chance to see him pitch in a couple weeks.....at the All Star game. Smiley

Yeah i know he must be disappointed not getting to pitch so close to his hometown. That's a good point that might be an even bigger thrill for both Hughes and his family. At this point i'd say he has to be a lock for the All Star team unless he throws two stinkers before the break. I don't see that happening though. It would be nice also if the schedule works out that he gets a start against Anaheim in Anaheim. I have to admit i'm really disappointed i won't see him pitch tomorrow. I just love watching this kid pitch. He really has the chance to be something very special.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2010, 06:32:09 AM »

I'm just concerned they might screw him up mentally like they did Joba, however, Joba does seem to be getting back on track again. He was hitting 98 consistently on the gun last night with his fastball and slider.

Apparently, with Joba...they never really told him anything.  They just used (and some would say abused) him as they thought best.  I think THAT'S what mentally messed him up.

With Phil, they've told him his innings limit, and that they will be skipping him for a "few starts" when the opportunity presents itself.  So the only part that they "spring" on him is EXACTLY when that will be.

He seems (and we'll see how he responds on Tuesday, when he pitches) to be OK with it....while Joba never did.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »

I think Phil will be fine, tough kid with great make up.

Lotsa aces went last night - Ubaldo, Romero, Carpenter, Lee, Strasberg - love those nights.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #497 on: June 24, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »

As a followup to our earlier conversation about the goofy "softball/colored" jerseys most teams have adopted to up their merchandise revenues, the Denver Post ran an article on the best uniforms in baseball.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_15350619

Best baseball uniforms? Cardinals perched in first
By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post

A while back, I sat down for a beer with a couple of buddies at Choppers Sports Grill in Cherry Creek. Somehow, the conversation turned to uniforms � the good, the bad and the truly ugly.

We all agreed that the San Diego Chargers' powder-blue throwback uniforms rate among the best of all time. Two of us loved the old-school style of the Colts. There was a consensus that the Seattle Seahawks' uniforms should be declared a public eyesore.

But when it came to baseball uniforms, the picks were all over the yard.

OK, OK, I know we're not talking world peace here, or figuring out how to plug up the BP oil spill, but a cool uniform is important. Remember how cool it felt when you slipped on that Little League uniform for the first time?
With that in mind, I present my list of the top-five, current major league uniforms.

No. 5 � The New York Yankees. Their home whites with the vertical pinstripes are as timeless as a Rolex watch. But like everything else about the Yankees, the uniforms are a little too serious, a little too self-important for my taste.

No. 4 - The Boston Red Sox. The famed, old-fashioned Red Sox script set against the white jersey is old school and hip at the same time. When I see those uniforms, I automatically think of baseball history and Fenway Park. Or, as they say in Beantown "Fenway Pawk."

No. 3 - Oakland A's. The green and gold might be gaudy and garish, but it is unique and colorful. It makes a statement. I like it.

No. 2 - Detroit Tigers. The Olde English "D" on the home uniform is instantly recognizable. If a newer team tried it get away with something that looks like it came from the Middle Ages, it would come off as hokey and forced. But the "D" fits the Tigers perfectly. Their road grays, with the scripted Detroit in blue and orange are nice, too.

No. 1 - The St. Louis Cardinals. If you told somebody today to design a uniform logo featuring two red birds sitting on a bat, they might laugh. But the Cardinals' uniform works perfectly, whether worn by Stan Musial, Bob Gibson or Albert Pujols. The interlocking "STL" on the cap is classic.

I agree with Cards/Yanks (home and/or away), easily the two best for me.

I also agree with the Tigers home uni's, classic.

Another making my list would be the Dodgers home whites, timeless.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #498 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »

As a followup to our earlier conversation about the goofy "softball/colored" jerseys most teams have adopted to up their merchandise revenues, the Denver Post ran an article on the best uniforms in baseball.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_15350619

Best baseball uniforms? Cardinals perched in first
By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post

A while back, I sat down for a beer with a couple of buddies at Choppers Sports Grill in Cherry Creek. Somehow, the conversation turned to uniforms � the good, the bad and the truly ugly.

We all agreed that the San Diego Chargers' powder-blue throwback uniforms rate among the best of all time. Two of us loved the old-school style of the Colts. There was a consensus that the Seattle Seahawks' uniforms should be declared a public eyesore.

But when it came to baseball uniforms, the picks were all over the yard.

OK, OK, I know we're not talking world peace here, or figuring out how to plug up the BP oil spill, but a cool uniform is important. Remember how cool it felt when you slipped on that Little League uniform for the first time?
With that in mind, I present my list of the top-five, current major league uniforms.

No. 5 � The New York Yankees. Their home whites with the vertical pinstripes are as timeless as a Rolex watch. But like everything else about the Yankees, the uniforms are a little too serious, a little too self-important for my taste.

No. 4 - The Boston Red Sox. The famed, old-fashioned Red Sox script set against the white jersey is old school and hip at the same time. When I see those uniforms, I automatically think of baseball history and Fenway Park. Or, as they say in Beantown "Fenway Pawk."

No. 3 - Oakland A's. The green and gold might be gaudy and garish, but it is unique and colorful. It makes a statement. I like it.

No. 2 - Detroit Tigers. The Olde English "D" on the home uniform is instantly recognizable. If a newer team tried it get away with something that looks like it came from the Middle Ages, it would come off as hokey and forced. But the "D" fits the Tigers perfectly. Their road grays, with the scripted Detroit in blue and orange are nice, too.

No. 1 - The St. Louis Cardinals. If you told somebody today to design a uniform logo featuring two red birds sitting on a bat, they might laugh. But the Cardinals' uniform works perfectly, whether worn by Stan Musial, Bob Gibson or Albert Pujols. The interlocking "STL" on the cap is classic.

I agree with Cards/Yanks (home and/or away), easily the two best for me.

I also agree with the Tigers home uni's, classic.

Another making my list would be the Dodgers home whites, timeless.

My only objection to his description (besides my obvious bias for the pin stripes) is that, while I like the Sox standard home and away uniforms...they have some "alternate" uniforms that really are awful...specifically the Navy Blue shirt/grey pants alt and to a lesser extent the red shirt/white pant alt.  Both are horrible, to varying degrees.

I also seem to remember a green Sox alt...maybe it was a one time thing or I'm losing my mind (highly likely), but if I remember correctly...that was horrible too. 

That's one thing I like about the Yanks: No alts.  Home and away.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #499 on: June 24, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

That's one thing I like about the Yanks: No alts.  Home and away.

Absolutely, same with the Cards.

The Sox alts (as most) are horrific. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: