Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 Baseball Season/Off-Season Discussion  (Read 161400 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »

Something to ponder as the dust clears from the Joyce incident.

What would public opinion/outcry be if the runner was as clearly safe as he was out and Joyce had called him out?

I think you would have seen easily as much press touting his "not so perfect" game, early on.

I think that fervor would have died down more quickly, and you might not have had as MUCH outcry for replay....but given the calls so far this year, and the sheer number of lousy umping, I think it would have eventually built up, anyway.

For me:  I just want them to get it right.  If he'd been safe, and and called out, I STILL want that call made the right way.  I understand there are bang/bang plays.  And if it's too close for the replay ump (and there simply HAS to be one...not a quorum of field umps) to make a call in, say,  a couple minutes, then the ruling on the field goes.  But, in this case, it was obvious 30 seconds after it was made that Joyce had blown the call.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »

Vernon Wells is finally justifying his absurd contract this year, Fred Lewis was a killer steal from the Giants, Alex Gonzalez and Jose Bautista are off to terrific starts, and Lyle Overbay has finally learned how to hit a ball again.

Ricky Romero has shown some excellent chops in the absence of Doc too.

Largely, this weekend (other than game 1) it wasn't the offense that really sustained the Jays.  It was their pitching (or the Yankees inability to hit the ball, especially in big spots...depending on your perspective).  It really only failed them yesterday, late.

And it's no real surprise that yesterday, late, was the first time that the Yanks were really able to see the back end of the Jays bull pen all weekend.

Together again,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #422 on: June 07, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »

I thought I suckered a dude into trading me Albert Pujols.. but right now i am the sucker.

Tied for the league lead in homers and rbi while top 4 in avg now, still feel like a sucker D? Wink

Albert being Albert.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »

Anyone else feel that people are going overboard with Strasburg?

He's good, real good. But people I've heard talking and read about think he will win the Nationals the division.

I'm not alone here thinking this right?

Plus, first game that he ends up getting touched up for 5/6 runs -- lets see how many cry foul.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #424 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:30 AM »

He's good, real good. But people I've heard talking and read about think he will win the Nationals the division.

Plus, first game that he ends up getting touched up for 5/6 runs -- lets see how many cry foul.

That's bound to happen, even the best pitcher on the planet is going to have an "off" day every now and then.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #425 on: June 08, 2010, 02:02:21 AM »

I thought I suckered a dude into trading me Albert Pujols.. but right now i am the sucker.

Tied for the league lead in homers and rbi while top 4 in avg now, still feel like a sucker D? Wink

Albert being Albert.

nope, i am feeling great about it now

traded A Rod and Zack Grienke for Pujols and Mike Leake

i am winning on both counts!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »

only thing that will derail Strasburg is injury. Like Mark Pryor or Kerry Wood.. if he can stay healthy, i really think he is gonna be a multi cy young winner. his stuff is ridiculous.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #427 on: June 08, 2010, 02:26:08 AM »

That's bound to happen, even the best pitcher on the planet is going to have an "off" day every now and then.

You shittin me? I'm not retarded man.

I'm merely saying, I don't think he's going to be a god-send like everyone claims he will be. He will be good, but I don't think he will be that good.

Like D said, an injury could derail him greatly. Hope it doesn't happen, but there's always that chance.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »

You shittin me? I'm not retarded man.

I'm merely saying, I don't think he's going to be a god-send like everyone claims he will be. He will be good, but I don't think he will be that good.

Like D said, an injury could derail him greatly. Hope it doesn't happen, but there's always that chance.

Oh i know, i was just reiterating how rediculous that will be when it happens. Which i'm sure it will. I would expect it to happen sooner then later too. I know the kid is very very good, however, it takes time to learn to pitch at the big leauge level. People thinking he's gonna be the best pitcher on the planet immediately is nuts. Look at Hughes for example. Everyone expected that kid to be lights out back in 07 or 08. I'm not saying Hughes was as good right away as this kid but he was very good and it still took him a few years to learn to pitch at this level.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #429 on: June 08, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »

Well, like D mentioned, Mark Prior was the real deal and had a quick trip to the majors like Strasburg.  He was brilliant his first 1 1/2 years in the majors.  He pitched 211 innings his first full season though, and was never the same once the injuries sprung up. 

That's why teams baby young pitchers these days.  It's a shame what happened with Prior, and who's to say if he was overworked and that's what led to the injuries.  The Marlins used to overwork their young pitchers back in the day and Beckett, Burnett, Penny, Pavano all had their share of injuries along the way.  A case of too much too soon.  Sometimes it's better to ease your way into things no matter how much of a "sure thing" somebody looks like.

So Strasburg could certainly be the real deal.  It wouldn't be the first time a pitcher shoots up the ranks and fulfills the promise and potential.  Can he sustain it though?  That's another story.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #430 on: June 08, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »

Kid looks sharp so far - good command and very poised, he definitely has a presence.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #431 on: June 08, 2010, 08:33:50 PM »

still reserving judgement. he was impressive for the first 3 innings....... but it is the Pittsburgh Pirates. Won't be able to judge him till he has made his way around the league once or twice. see how he adjusts when people start figuring him out

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:29 PM »

Yeah hard to fully judge him on a start against the lowly Pirates. Lets see how he does against a better team like the Phils or Padres.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #433 on: June 09, 2010, 12:17:52 AM »

Yeah hard to fully judge him on a start against the lowly Pirates. Lets see how he does against a better team like the Phils or Padres.
Tough to judge?  Kid had 14 strikeouts.  I don't care who he pitched against.  They're major league hitters, and he dominated them.  The amount of pressure the kid had on him too with the whole world anticipating him as the next big thing. 

And he could've easily done the same thing against a better offensive team.  Pitchers usually have the advantage over hitters early on when there's no history between the two.

I'm sure he'll hit some bumps in the road along the way.  Everybody does.  Even Doc Halladay gets knocked around every once in awhile.  But tonight, he was awesome.  I don't see any reason why that can't continue.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2010, 12:33:58 AM »

Tough to judge?  Kid had 14 strikeouts.  I don't care who he pitched against.  They're major league hitters, and he dominated them.  The amount of pressure the kid had on him too with the whole world anticipating him as the next big thing. 

And he could've easily done the same thing against a better offensive team.  Pitchers usually have the advantage over hitters early on when there's no history between the two.

I'm sure he'll hit some bumps in the road along the way.  Everybody does.  Even Doc Halladay gets knocked around every once in awhile.  But tonight, he was awesome.  I don't see any reason why that can't continue.

Major league hitters yes but we're not talking Derek Jeter, A-Rod, Alber Pujlos here. These are hitters that rank LAST in every major offensive category. We'll see if he can do it against a better hitting team. I'm interested to see if he'll get a chance against an american league team with interleague coming up again this weekend. It looks like he could pitch against the Indians, White Sox and Royals. Not exactly the best of the american league but we'll see.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2010, 12:36:17 AM »

Major league hitters yes but we're not talking Derek Jeter, A-Rod, Alber Pujlos here. These are hitters that rank LAST in every major offensive category. We'll see if he can do it against a better hitting team. I'm interested to see if he'll get a chance against an american league team with interleague coming up again this weekend. It looks like he could pitch against the Indians, White Sox and Royals. Not exactly the best of the american league but we'll see.
How many pitchers have struck out 14 Pirates in a game this season?

If anyone else has, I'll believe what you're saying.  But striking out 14 major league hitters is nothing to sneeze at.  I don't care what there stats are.  His next game is against the Indians.  A light hitting AL team, so be ready to not be impressed again regardless of what he does.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2010, 01:41:02 AM »

How many pitchers have struck out 14 Pirates in a game this season?

If anyone else has, I'll believe what you're saying.  But striking out 14 major league hitters is nothing to sneeze at.  I don't care what there stats are.  His next game is against the Indians.  A light hitting AL team, so be ready to not be impressed again regardless of what he does.

It was impressive no doubt but lets see if he can do it against a better hitting team is all i'm trying to say.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #437 on: June 09, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »

I was impressed.

Yes, it was the Pirates.  Yes, they're lineup is littered with .250 hitters.  Yes, the Strikeouts were likely inflated a bit because of that.  But I'd say 14k's vs the Pirates is roughly 9-10k's against a better NL lineup.  That would STILL be mighty impressive for a 21 year old kid, under the kind of pressure/microscope he was under, in his MLB debut.  I didn't think there was any possible way his debut lived up to the hype around it....I mean, the guys a rookie making his MLB debut in front of a national audience, with national press, etc.  But he did. 

And, beyond that, his stuff was amazing.  A 20+ mph difference between his fastball (97-100) and his changeup (75 - 80)?  A WICKED curveball with break so late, and steep, it's virtually unhittable if he drops it in for a strike (AND is going to generate a lot of swing/miss when he buries it)?  All that AND a 98 - 100 mph fastball with good movement?  I don't care who he's facing, if he has that kind of stuff on the mound, regularly, the kids gonna be tough to hit.

He made ONE mistake, leaving that changeup down, over the middle of the plate....and it ended up in the seats. 

Pretty darn impressive for a guy making his first run through an MLB lineup.

Together again,
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #438 on: June 09, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »

His changeup last night was consistently (according to the guns) around 89-92mph, his curveball around 81-83mph and his fastball topped (according to the MASN guns) 98-101mph. Kid has stuff, but I'm still a little unsure how I feel about the attention surrounding him.

Really hope they don't blow him up like Prior and such.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #439 on: June 09, 2010, 09:58:45 AM »

I was impressed.

Yes, it was the Pirates.  Yes, they're lineup is littered with .250 hitters.  Yes, the Strikeouts were likely inflated a bit because of that.  But I'd say 14k's vs the Pirates is roughly 9-10k's against a better NL lineup.  That would STILL be mighty impressive for a 21 year old kid, under the kind of pressure/microscope he was under, in his MLB debut.  I didn't think there was any possible way his debut lived up to the hype around it....I mean, the guys a rookie making his MLB debut in front of a national audience, with national press, etc.  But he did. 

And, beyond that, his stuff was amazing.  A 20+ mph difference between his fastball (97-100) and his changeup (75 - 80)?  A WICKED curveball with break so late, and steep, it's virtually unhittable if he drops it in for a strike (AND is going to generate a lot of swing/miss when he buries it)?  All that AND a 98 - 100 mph fastball with good movement?  I don't care who he's facing, if he has that kind of stuff on the mound, regularly, the kids gonna be tough to hit.

He made ONE mistake, leaving that changeup down, over the middle of the plate....and it ended up in the seats. 

Pretty darn impressive for a guy making his first run through an MLB lineup.
Exactly, they hype around this guy and the pressure he was under was ridiculous.  It seemed as if it wouldn't be possible for him to live up to the hype.  But he did better than anyone could've even imagined.  Regardless of who he faced.  I highly doubt many people would've predicted a 7 inning, 14 strikeout performance in his debut.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 50 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: