Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:08:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  [football] FIFA's Southafrica 2010 World Cup
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [football] FIFA's Southafrica 2010 World Cup  (Read 163802 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #520 on: July 03, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »

Oh ok it's wrong but I don't see why it's scary. Some people tends to generalize, some people don't. I was a victim of generalization a lot of times and is not cool but it happens

Come on Jarmo, there are nations throwing bombs against other nations...get something better to be scared of.

Ignorance is ignorance is ignorance is ignorance.....

I don't like it and I think it's scary in any form it takes.

If a person makes that kind of generalization about football knowledge, who knows what else that person makes similar ignorant generalizations about.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #521 on: July 03, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »

If you are suggesting that I make "dangerous generalizations", please note that you're wrong.

I was having fun with all this "fight". But it got too serious, this isn't about "football mocking" anymore and I don't wanna  misconceptions about me. Is not funny anymore so the best thing to me is to stop this.

So taking up again the thread, once again I say that Germany will be the champion.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2010, 10:29:49 PM »

It wasn't you, it was the guy posting in Spanish.... On an English speaking board.

I'm not gonna comment on the winner because I know too little about the sport at this point.

I'll probably change my nationality to Brazilian before the next World Cup because then I'll have a history to fall back on. It'll make it look like I know what I'm talking about because I can always say "but we won it five times!".

I'll also buy a football and go kick it out on the yard so I'll instantly know more about the sport.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:43:33 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #523 on: July 03, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »

I admittedly know shit about Football

does anyone have a Youtube clip or anything of the play in question?

I'd like to watch it a couple more times and see what happened.

So explain this to me. What the guy did is like a huge foul/big deal right? I mean it is breaking a major rule of the game?

so it would be like in the NBA someone punching another guy in the face to stop them from scoring the winning basket?

is it that bad against the rules?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpTNnFFbr0

there you can see he uses his hand to stop the ball, obviously a foul.   if you talk of basketball its not that different od situtions like when one team is losing and the other keeps making fouls to try to make the other team miss some free shots and get an oportunity to win.

some ones here said is unfair other says its part of the game. am in the opinion that its not the best moraly speaking but its not unfair.

in other things, i think Germany has been playing pretty well, but they have scored early and so they can play to counter-attack, if they go against a team that plays deffense well then they wont be able to use that stategy and they will be in trouble.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #524 on: July 04, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »

So explain this to me. What the guy did is like a huge foul/big deal right? I mean it is breaking a major rule of the game?

so it would be like in the NBA someone punching another guy in the face to stop them from scoring the winning basket?

It's tough to compare, because you see hard fouls on fast breaks in basketball all the time.  It's normal and expected and usually followed by free throws.  Of course, two points in basketball is NOT the equivalent of one goal in soccer.

I suppose the closest comparison would be something like in American football, committing pass interference in the endzone, after which the other team gets the ball at the one yard line (...closest thing I can think of to a penalty kick, in that you SHOULD be able to score, but don't on every occasion).  The obvious difference is that the interferer isn't banished from the field of play.  Still not a perfect comparison, but the ratio of TDs to goals is closer than that of the scoring in basketball. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #525 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:20 AM »

I'll try to compare it to a basketball game.

In the last seconds of a game a player (TEAM A) who is just about to make a slam dunk is fouled in a very hard way by a player from TEAM B.
The foulmaker is punished and the other one gets two free throws and is able to win the game by those two FTs.
But he misses, the game goes into overtime and TEAM B wins.

All in all actions were done according to the rules: a foul, two FTs. Nobody can accuse TEAM B for fouling and making TEAM A miss the FTS.
But it still leaves a kind of bad taste because it seems to have been an undeserved victory for Uruguay.

EDIT: nekomex summed it up already  ok

____

Don't get me wrong, but it would have been cool to see an African team coming to the semi-finals.
Although a World Cup without any South American team in the semis would have been weird too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:10:12 AM by MJ23 » Logged
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #526 on: July 04, 2010, 03:01:43 AM »

FIFA is looking into the Uruguay Ghana incident and Suarez might be suspended for the final as well if Uruguay make it through.
That should satisfy some people.

Fuck 'Em All.
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #527 on: July 04, 2010, 03:21:44 AM »

Suarez is only punished for 1 game (the semi-finals).
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #528 on: July 04, 2010, 03:36:33 AM »

If this were normal every season Football, I would have a problem with it

but when its ur country and this is the most prestigious game in the world and its only every 4 years.... I say do what u have to do to win. why give someone a free goal when u can make them attempt a penalty kick?

It may not be fair or integrity filled, but winning truly is everything. It really is the only thing that matters imo.

I don't object or question someone's knowledge that feels it is cheap and bullshit. I agree it is, but i have always been about whatever it takes to win.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #529 on: July 04, 2010, 03:57:38 AM »

^ Holland will kick their ass anyways Tongue

I predict the final will be Netherlands vs Germany
svdv22
VIP

This is not a piano falling out of the sky

« Reply #530 on: July 04, 2010, 04:06:34 AM »

FIFA is looking into the Uruguay Ghana incident and Suarez might be suspended for the final as well if Uruguay make it through.
That should satisfy some people.

Not at all I thought he was going to mis at least 2 games.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #531 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:52 AM »

Man, I just love soccer ( i kid i kid).

I have been reading this thread for a few weeks. All you southamericans were all in greay mood cause your teams had advanced into the knockout finals. You had your head up your ass. I even read somebody posting Chile was a favorite against spain last week... What the fuck, Chile?? For the love of god...

Now it seems all of you southamericans are sore losers. Since the likes of Brazil, Argentina and the force, Chile are out, you guys are posting nonsense to avoid the facts that your teams have lost. Thats fucking ridiculous. Your arguments are hilarious. All your " you dont know nothing about the sport" because we werent born in rio or bbaa is biased anf pathetic. Not to mentioned, clueless. Maradona is a dick, a hero in argentina, but a clown everywhere else. Kaka amongst the best two players in the world? Give me a break.  Kaka has not been able to dribble past a defender in almost 2 years now.

I knew this was going to happen though. The moment the southamericans start to lose, its either when they stop posting or if they do, they come up with this cult
propaganda about "what really football is". This same thing has happened in the tennis thread where as soon as their favorite player got injured and stopped playing, they stopped posting all of the sudden.

Anyway, spain on to the semis and rafa
nadal to win his second wimbledon today.
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #532 on: July 04, 2010, 05:52:59 AM »

Hmmm, my guess about the last four teams doesn't seem that stupid now. Only Ghana isn't there. But anyway, I think Suarez might get banned from one more game as it is in the rules. But we'll see. I really don't care about it though as Holland is going to beat the hell out of them Tongue

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #533 on: July 04, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »

This thread is disgusting now.

BTW, I am South American (Brazilian) and I dont agree with Ulisses, esteban and Mandy are saying. Please, dont make generalizations.

FYI Im 29 and I played soccer for as much as 25 years. I not only watch, Ive also worked as a jornalist covering football about 4 years ago.

Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »

BTW, I am South American (Brazilian) and I dont agree with Ulisses, esteban and Mandy are saying. Please, dont make generalizations.

FYI Im 29 and I played soccer for as much as 25 years. I not only watch, Ive also worked as a jornalist covering football about 4 years ago.

Weird as paradojic! Now I read you, you're right! Jarmo is doing something that he considers "risky" and "scary", he's generalizing saying that south american people is like me, estebanf or Mandy when we are 320 millions!

Talking about football...I see the goals and match summaries and I still cannot believe it. I mean, there was the chance we can be defeated because Germany...well...is Germany but 4-0? The early goal was a knockout punch, then we gave it all to score (most of the first part and most of the second) but then, in a counter-attack, they scored again. And then...well...the chaos.

Neuer is not THAT good but yesterday he didn't make ONE mistake.

Each time I see the goals I feel someone is kicking me in the face...what a match. However, I cannot complain about my team.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:14:07 AM by Ulises » Logged

One.In.A.Million
« Reply #535 on: July 04, 2010, 11:29:41 AM »

I even must admit that I thought Argentina would be a real contender in this match, maybe even winning it. But Germany just left off from how they ended against England.

But I must say, as I'm English, It kind of makes me happy. As it validates more what England went through, and it can be argued that England were better than Argentina. As we got 2 goals past Germany, and we played well for 3/4's of the match. Where I felt that Argentina lost it after Germanys first goal in the opening minutes.
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #536 on: July 04, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

The goal in the opening minutes was the key. Is not that easy get recovered from something like that.

Sometimes some goals are destructive. I mean, look at Holland's first goal, Brazil never was the same after that

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #537 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:55 AM »

Weird as paradojic! Now I read you, you're right! Jarmo is doing something that he considers "risky" and "scary", he's generalizing saying that south american people is like me, estebanf or Mandy when we are 320 millions!
You're doing the same thing with him.

kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #538 on: July 04, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »

The goal in the opening minutes was the key. Is not that easy get recovered from something like that.

Sometimes some goals are destructive. I mean, look at Holland's first goal, Brazil never was the same after that

Yeah, but a good team can recover, like USA did against England. I'm not saying that it would be easy, especially against the current Germany squad, but Argentina had their chances to make it 1-1 for a long time. It was not like Argentina collapsing totally after the first goal and thus giving Germany the opportunity to score three more instantly. In my opinion the key moment was the start of the second half, that's the moment when Argentina should have pushed more aggressively showing that they're not done yet.

But maybe Germany is just so good that it doesn't really matter what you're trying to do Tongue What I really like is the fact that Germany didn't start playing it safe after the first half, or actually at any point of the game. That's how you can win 4-0 against another good team.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #539 on: July 04, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »

I even must admit that I thought Argentina would be a real contender in this match, maybe even winning it. But Germany just left off from how they ended against England.

But I must say, as I'm English, It kind of makes me happy. As it validates more what England went through, and it can be argued that England were better than Argentina. As we got 2 goals past Germany, and we played well for 3/4's of the match. Where I felt that Argentina lost it after Germanys first goal in the opening minutes.

OMG, will you stop posting about England already? England were shit. Right from the beginning. Or did you forget how atrocious Green's own goal was? They came second in their group to the US of A and scored two bloody goals in the first round. How can you compare that against Argentina? They won all their matches when even Germany lost to Serbia. Two different matches, two different situations. Argentina played badly in the quarter final, England never even got off to go anywhere in the first place.

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: