Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:26:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Billboard changes Top 200 policy - where will GH be?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Billboard changes Top 200 policy - where will GH be?  (Read 2101 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« on: November 11, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i603a2426afda5aaafb64750aacecd192

Billboard is changing it's Top 200 to include catalog albums as well. Any predictions where Greatest Hits would be when this happens?

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i603a2426afda5aaafb64750aacecd192

Billboard is changing it's Top 200 to include catalog albums as well. Any predictions where Greatest Hits would be when this happens?

Wasn't this how it always was and then they changed it in the early 90s or something? They did it to knock stuff like Rumours, Dark Side of the Moon, Back In Black and Thriller out of the running. So they're going back to how it used to be?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:44:32 PM »

Wasn't this how it always was and then they changed it in the early 90s or something? They did it to knock stuff like Rumours, Dark Side of the Moon, Back In Black and Thriller out of the running. So they're going back to how it used to be?

I'm not sure how it used to be back then but....yeah, Thriller, Dark Side, etc. would be up there with the latest releases. That's how I read it. I think it's the state of the record industry. Labels realize it's easier to flaunt catolog albums and sell those than try and break a new band.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

I'm not sure how it used to be back then but....yeah, Thriller, Dark Side, etc. would be up there with the latest releases. That's how I read it. I think it's the state of the record industry. Labels realize it's easier to flaunt catolog albums and sell those than try and break a new band.

Just read through the article and found this:

"That rule, in place since 1991, stipulates that an album that ranks below No. 100 on the chart, is more than 18 months old, and does not have a current charting single at radio, would be removed from the Billboard 200 and other corresponding album charts on which it has appeared. While the catalog rule will no longer apply to the Billboard 200, it will remain in effect on all other current-based album charts"/i]

So it sounds that you and I are exactly right. It's basically going back to how it used to be.

It's interesting. It'll be interesting to see where things like AFD, GN'R GH, Dark Side, etc. land when placed back in with albums released since that rule went into place.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »

I just realized that Billboard already has this category labeled Top Comprehensive Albums which will become the Top 200. So looking at that should give us an idea where the classics would chart when the rule changes.

uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »

i think you'll see AFD on there not GH...AFD still sells like a million a year i think...

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »

Just looked at the Top 200 after the change and GH sits at #130. Pretty good considering the shitload of Christmas albums and other catolog albums on there as well. It's even ahead of the new Alice in Chains.

Street of the Blues
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »

This just goes to show that folks in the United States still love Guns N' Roses.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

This just goes to show that folks in the United States still love Guns N' Roses.

Why would you doubt that?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:10:13 PM »

Just looked at the Top 200 after the change and GH sits at #130. Pretty good considering the shitload of Christmas albums and other catolog albums on there as well. It's even ahead of the new Alice in Chains.

its also pretty good considering that "Greatest Hits' came out in March of 04!!!   Amazing really.
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 05:25:08 AM »

i think you'll see AFD on there not GH...AFD still sells like a million a year i think...

I doubt that is correct.

From the Rolling Stone article in 2000: "GN'R's debut record, Appetite For Destruction, released in 1987, marches on. The second biggest debut album in rock history (15 million copies at the last count), Appetite thirteen years later still sells a remarkable 5,000 to 6,000 copies per week - more than 200,000 units annually."

So if it sold about 200'000 copies a year in 2000, it most likely less now almost 10 years later. But no doubt it's on of those classic albums that sells a steady number of copies around the world...   beer

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: