Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:29:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  I wish GN'R would make live recordings of their shows available for purchase
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I wish GN'R would make live recordings of their shows available for purchase  (Read 11395 times)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2009, 11:27:08 AM »

would they still buy those bootlegs when they can buy better quality recordings of the same shows directly from the band? and much cheaper at the price???

for a collector, some digital and ''virtual'' files are not the same than a tangible, concrete and good looking cd-case.

that's the way a collector thinks. how many people has bought ''masterplans'' chicago '92 dvd? They pay for something (incomplete) that can be found (complete, and in much better quality) digitally and for free.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2009, 11:30:56 AM »

would they still buy those bootlegs when they can buy better quality recordings of the same shows directly from the band? and much cheaper at the price???

Yes. It's like a stamp collector. They can get stamps way cheaper elsewhere but they still want that special stamp! Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2009, 11:36:02 AM »

even when the stamp is not released by the post office or approved by them?  Huh
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »

(look at prisby)

yes lol
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2009, 12:05:58 PM »

love is strange.....
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

I'd buy 'em.  Actually, I would prefer something like this:

Where they just offer a selection of shows on-line for purchase through their "store".  Not all of them..that defeats the purpose of buying a ticket to some extent. But maybe 1 or 2 shows from each leg of a world tour.
AND
The ability, AT the show, to buy a digital download/CD/DVD of YOUR show.

I think the issue they worry about is that those copies of the show will get "shared".....and eat away at their ticket sales.  I don't think the logic behind that worry holds a lot of water (for many obvious reasons), but I think it's one of the reasons more bands don't do it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:45 PM »

I'd buy 'em.  Actually, I would prefer something like this:

Where they just offer a selection of shows on-line for purchase through their "store".  Not all of them..that defeats the purpose of buying a ticket to some extent. But maybe 1 or 2 shows from each leg of a world tour.
AND
The ability, AT the show, to buy a digital download/CD/DVD of YOUR show.

I think the issue they worry about is that those copies of the show will get "shared".....and eat away at their ticket sales.  I don't think the logic behind that worry holds a lot of water (for many obvious reasons), but I think it's one of the reasons more bands don't do it.

But this is where it should get interesting.

A decent package of photo's and other merchandise, tour programme, bio's and other printed material doesn't get "shared" for the many fans that enjoy the whole experience, if the soundtrack to a show alone isn't the real deal, the memories and visuals that stand out are the things that complete the collection, hell why not have a voucher with the order to buy a special edition tee shirt only available with/for the official recording (maybe a "anti-downloading mother fucker" stenciled onto an H bomb image, with the official gigs that have been/to be recorded on the back, and why not a few pre 2006 shows, Leeds, House of Blues, RiR amongst the many they must have)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:29:41 PM by wight gunner » Logged

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »

I think an official dvd of the new lineup would be a great way to persuade people that the band is as good as we all know it is.  Many people who like old GN'R probably didn't get CD, but if a nice new DVD came out with SCOM, NR etc on it I'm sure the uneducated masses would soon see the light.  I don't think GN'R really do/did enough for its hardcore fan base either really.  Identical reissues of two old (and not necesarily great) live recordings from Tokyo don't do their history justice, and there must have been many opportunities to release something original and expansive since.  Unless it's all down to court-room politics, then it's anyone's guess!

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »

There are several variables that none of us know anything about that might be the reason(s) why there isn't live recordings available.

Many of the artists listed in this thread as examples aren't signed to a major label.

If GN'R puts something out, don't you think Universal Music/Interscope wants a piece of that pie?

And if that's the case, it might not just be as easy as "let's put this out for our fans"....

I don't know how these record deals work but I have read about how record labels haven't really been interested in releasing certain things that bands wanted to put out for their fans.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

What baffles me is not that the band might not want to release a dvd but that the label don't want to.  Bands release dvd's all the time so the potential market must be sizable for a new GN'R dvd.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
wight gunner
VIP

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2009, 04:52:41 PM »

There are several variables that none of us know anything about that might be the reason(s) why there isn't live recordings available.

Many of the artists listed in this thread as examples aren't signed to a major label.

If GN'R puts something out, don't you think Universal Music/Interscope wants a piece of that pie?

And if that's the case, it might not just be as easy as "let's put this out for our fans"....

I don't know how these record deals work but I have read about how record labels haven't really been interested in releasing certain things that bands wanted to put out for their fans.

/jarmo

Yeah and since when has the record industry been intrested in following the ethic any artist has, like they don't have a big enough say as it is.

Thats a good point Jarmo, as per usual a sound reason for why they would resist doing this. The sad thing is, by letting go of some the cherrys, they might actually find they'd see more sales in records.

Added to your reasons, do you think that materials relating to direct publication of former members work (ie not live shows) would demand royalities from them? I'm not saying it would be right or wrong to have to do so, but I can understand if Axl doesn't want to give them another penny, as he's proven the bigger draw when it comes to playing and selling.  If the lyrics of Sorry are anything to go by, I'd say that he's felt that they've had more from him than vise versa. Thats my opinion, but I wont say its how it is. That said, if they were to do CD live, as a show (or a whole middle section) then if my opinion were right(ish) then maybe the release we would like might happen, but then again I don't see this (the CD live bit) ever being done... crying

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
wight gunner
VIP

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »

What baffles me is not that the band might not want to release a dvd but that the label don't want to.  Bands release dvd's all the time so the potential market must be sizable for a new GN'R dvd.

I think its the band may feel that the label get enough.  Bands, I believe fund the shows (ie pay the costs, and get the money back through sales), so why does the label deserve any cash on the back of the Bands risk?

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »

/jarmo

From what I remember (and I could be wrong), Pearl Jam did a considerable amount of groundwork to discover that "Live offical bootlegs" don't constitute material covered by their recording contract.

That being said, there was a considerable amount of time, effort, and legal wrangling that had to be done to get that "decision" made.  Which, in itself, would be a pain in the keister to go through.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »

Yeah the record company thing sounds very plausible.

I think bands would want to do it cause it would allow them to let fans hear great qualities of their work and not a shitty boot on Youtube which can allow people to form an opinion which isn't always accurate.

Metallica are a major label though but maybe they negotiated something in their contract

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
helenluna
Rocker

Gimme some more!

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 07:32:25 PM »

Jarmo is probably right. For those of us who don't think that Axl hates his fans, those who believe that he WOULD LIKE to do something cool for us, the logical and clear explanation is this issue with the record label. So why in the hell GnR doesn't leave UMG and become independent once and for all? I don't quite understand their reasons to still be under Universal!

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2009, 10:55:06 PM »

Metallica are a major label though but maybe they negotiated something in their contract

Metallica are also in a position where no label is ever going to say  "no" to them about anything.  I would imagine a big band like GNR would also be in a similar position.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2009, 11:15:33 PM »

Metallica are also in a position where no label is ever going to say  "no" to them about anything.  I would imagine a big band like GNR would also be in a similar position.

James Hetfield would beat up those suits.
Halo69
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »

/jarmo

That does make a lot of sense! It would be sweet to have some live recordings though

Oh My God i cant deny this...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 06:22:59 PM »

Yea its amazing to me that the only live GNR dvd to ever see the light of day was the utter shit Japanese concert one. I have seen GN'R many MANY times and this was far and away the worsed performance as a whole by GN'R, past and present. I threw it away. THREW IT AWAY. It actually has things that bother the fuck out of me in it and a very poor representation of the classic band.

Please release a fucking proper one Axl.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
recklessroad
Opening Act

recklessroad.com

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »

Axl once looked into that during the UYI tour I think, but for some reason it didn't work out. I think it would add a lot of pressure on the band, but it would be great to pick a few shows that were extra special and somehow get them out to the fans.

recklessroad.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: