Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 07:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  AXL. Please Perform ALL the Songs on CHINESE DEMOCRACY on Tour
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AXL. Please Perform ALL the Songs on CHINESE DEMOCRACY on Tour  (Read 8419 times)
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 09:11:17 PM »

Problem with playing live is.. u can only do so many ballads cause u need to keep the energy up so I'd be shocked if Axl put a ton of ballads in

which is why I'd drop KOHD and put in TIL   drop Patience and put in Prostitute.

Live and Let Die could take a rest too.

Switch up the Appetite' stuff a bit more too. Think About You and Rocket Queen don't get played nearly as much as they deserve to be smoking

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
helenluna
Rocker

Gimme some more!

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 11:50:59 PM »

I'm for it too! I rarely listen to the old GnR records nowadays... Chinese Democracy matches perfectly this moment of my life and it totally feeds my musical needs. I need nothing but CD and I'd love to hear it live, end-to-end. But I don't care if they put some of the older songs in the setlist, they should just make CD priority. Like put a numbered list with all of CD songs included previously and fill the left spaces with a bit of each of the older records.

Like the OP said, I don't think Axl should be choosing the setlist based on what's popular or not. Most the so-called fans, fans of the old line-up exclusively, will attend the concerts anyways and they'll be demanding the older songs. But why please them? GnR has to please itself first. They worked hard to put this out and now not to perform it would be pointless and disappointing for those of us who understand what CD is about: integrity, not doing things to please others, not worrying about fame and glory, overcoming the criticism and being free of the leeches.

I'll be fine if Axl chooses from his heart some older songs, but I'm not looking forward to hear Jungle, Sweet Child, KOHD, LALD, Patience, November Rain anymore (and I'm a fan of those songs but my moment is another now). If I were him, I'd go with all of CD and rotate Paradise City, You're Crazy, Rocket Queen, One in a Million (fuck yes), Perfect Crime, Don't cry, Don't damn me, Estranged, Coma, Oh my God... I know these are nearly impossible but at least my opinion is on the table.

falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »

Like the OP said, I don't think Axl should be choosing the setlist based on what's popular or not. Most the so-called fans, fans of the old line-up exclusively, will attend the concerts anyways and they'll be demanding the older songs. But why please them? GnR has to please itself first. They worked hard to put this out and now not to perform it would be pointless and disappointing for those of us who understand what CD is about: integrity, not doing things to please others, not worrying about fame and glory, overcoming the criticism and being free of the leeches.

beautifully said! 

this is why i'm not so worried about having to hear the old band's songs.  axl isn't a sellout.  never has been.  that's why he's axl. 

i say start the show by playing the entire album, start to finish.  then encore a few of the old songs, giving fans of the new material a chance to get to their cars early.   rofl
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 01:42:11 AM »

I'd love to hear all the CD songs.  Think they might?  The crowds are going to want to hear the classics.  I think the best we could hope for is 50/50 but we shall see in a couple months Smiley
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 02:27:52 AM »

Great post. I also still love CD and would love to hear it live front to back.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:56 AM »

Surely there'll have to be some balance between doing what the band wants and pleasing the fans? And that's not just for GNR, but any band.

Didn't Axl say at some show once he wasn't going to deny the fans the right to hear the old songs (or words to that effect)?

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:24 AM »

They SHOULD do 2 - 3 old Guns songs and the rest should be CD.

The band need to try and get popular by playing their own songs, not the songs that made the old band popular.

Playing 2 - 3 classics is not denying the fan's, but this is a new band so they should totally push there new stuff.

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Stoned In L.A.
Opening Act

Fuck the legacy

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »

The band need to try and get popular by playing their own songs, not the songs that made the old band popular.

Playing 2 - 3 classics is not denying the fan's, but this is a new band so they should totally push there new stuff.

This isn't a "new" band. It's the SAME band with new players.

I admit that I would prefer a 'Chinese' heavy setlist, but the back catalgue should be open game regardless of whether or not a different group of players are performing the songs. It's still GN'R. They should play whatever GN'R material that they choose.

Don't ask me to enjoy them just for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »

This isn't a "new" band. It's the SAME band with new players.

I admit that I would prefer a 'Chinese' heavy setlist, but the back catalgue should be open game regardless of whether or not a different group of players are performing the songs. It's still GN'R. They should play whatever GN'R material that they choose.

But its a totally new version of Guns.  I think it would be great for them to play their own album and try to break free from the old band.
Axl could fire everyone currently in Guns and employ 4 McDonalds employees and call it Guns n Roses.  No one has a problem with that but id still call it a new band.

Anyways, different discussion altogether!  hihi

More CD would be good!

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

I agree to a point, but I don't know if I'd limit it to 2-3 songs.  Ultimately, it's up to Axl and the band.  They can play whatever they want.  BUT, I do think it'd be refreshing if they played more music from the new era.  I'd hope for more of a 50/50 split, rotating the songs from show to show.  That would be my hope, but again it's up to them.  Whatever they choose is fine with me and I'm sure it'll kick ass in person.  It might not be as exciting to read online, but to be there, can't beat that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »

I agree to a point, but I don't know if I'd limit it to 2-3 songs.  Ultimately, it's up to Axl and the band.  They can play whatever they want.  BUT, I do think it'd be refreshing if they played more music from the new era.  I'd hope for more of a 50/50 split, rotating the songs from show to show.  That would be my hope, but again it's up to them.  Whatever they choose is fine with me and I'm sure it'll kick ass in person.  It might not be as exciting to read online, but to be there, can't beat that.

Good points as usual Faldor  Smiley

Stoned In L.A.
Opening Act

Fuck the legacy

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 09:41:38 AM »

But its a totally new version of Guns.  I think it would be great for them to play their own album and try to break free from the old band.

Break free? I'd say we've crossed that bridge more than a decade ago. I'm not trying to argue, but I get tired of seeing this pointless and repetitive nonsense. There is nothing abnormal about a band playing songs from THEIR back catalgue. I bought 2 tickets to see GNR in January with the hopes that I will be hearing a lot of 'Chinese',  but I also know that it is unlikely that they will cover every track from the album. So playing tracks from their back catalgue is a must. To me, this doesn't seem the least bit strange nor does it mean that they are trying to get popular off a riff that some other guy may have wrote 20 years ago.

Axl could fire everyone currently in Guns and employ 4 McDonalds employees and call it Guns n Roses. 

Bullshit.

What Axl could do and would do are 2 separate things. To me, these type of comments are just senseless nonsense from those who don't want to see the band succeed. I have been following this band since the 80s and I couldn't be happier with the direction that Axl has taken the band. We've had kickass tours, great players, and a SUPERB album. What more do some of you want?

To suggest that any swinging dick could get in to this band says a lot about your true intentions here. Fuck the naysayers. We've got a great thing going here.

Don't ask me to enjoy them just for you.
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »

Bullshit.

What Axl could do and would do are 2 separate things. To me, these type of comments are just senseless nonsense from those who don't want to see the band succeed. I have been following this band since the 80s and I couldn't be happier with the direction that Axl has taken the band. We've had kickass tours, great players, and a SUPERB album. What more do some of you want?

To suggest that any swinging dick could get in to this band says a lot about your true intentions here. Fuck the naysayers. We've got a great thing going here.

i never said he WOULD do, i just pointed out that he can.

if it makes you feel better, i will consider Velvet Revolver a new band when they get a new singer.

A band is a group of people that make music.  When some leave, its no longer the same band.

i want to see the current Guns do well, but i think it would be better for them to dominate the show with their new album and add in a few classics along the way.  ok

charl!edontsurf
Rocker

Axl doesn't surf either...

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »

As long as the show minimizes the 'piano jams' and downtime, I'll be happy. The previous shows have been plagued by not only a late start time, but unnecessary time outs and starts and stops. There have been very few notable guitar solos, as well. The 'Beautiful' jam/duel, Buckethead/Robin jam and 'Sossego' at RIR3 are really the only ones that stand out. I don't need to hear Ron rip through 12,304 notes in 5 minutes.

I'd be a little skeptical about 'This I Love' being played. Axl had a hard time releasing it in the first place and the solo section belongs to Mr. Finck. None of the current players have his vibrato and/or feel. Richard would probably most be suited to this particular solo.

VAN: 11-7-2002 (RIOT!)
TACOMA: 11-8-2002
LONDON: 6-7-2006
DUBLIN: 6-9-2006
PARIS: 6-20-2006
ZURICH: 7-1-2006
CGY: 12-6-2006
EDM: 12-7-2006
CGY: 1-16-2010
EDM: 1-17-2010
SEA: 12-16-2011
VAN:
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »

But its a totally new version of Guns.

It is still called GNR, that has not changed, I choose to refer to them as the current line-up yes.  Ok back on topic lol...

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

another day another dolla  yes

jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »

As long as the show minimizes the 'piano jams' and downtime, I'll be happy. The previous shows have been plagued by not only a late start time, but unnecessary time outs and starts and stops. There have been very few notable guitar solos, as well. The 'Beautiful' jam/duel, Buckethead/Robin jam and 'Sossego' at RIR3 are really the only ones that stand out. I don't need to hear Ron rip through 12,304 notes in 5 minutes.

I'd be a little skeptical about 'This I Love' being played. Axl had a hard time releasing it in the first place and the solo section belongs to Mr. Finck. None of the current players have his vibrato and/or feel. Richard would probably most be suited to this particular solo.

i think DJ will be playing that solo.  He said he can't wait to play it live on his live chat i think. 

I hear ya on the stop/start nature on some of the shows.  It really takes away from the adrenaline you get going.   

If they do it all in the same 15 mins, kinda like a break for Axl, thats cool.  But i hate the song, solo, song, solo, song, solo thing.

Calcy
Rocker

He's baaaaaaaack!

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »

Hopefully it'll be CD-heavy, especially as it would allow Axl to show the real need for 3 guitarists (the AFD, Lies and UYI stuff in theory only need 2 guitarists), so would hope for at least 8/9 songs off the album:

Chinese Democracy, Shackler's, Better, The Blues, If The World, TWAT, Sorry, IRS and Maddy imo. Maybe could save Catcher In The Rye for a special Brian May appearance?  beer

Old stuff: WTTJ, SCOM, ISE, Nightrain, Patience, Used To Love Her, November Rain, YCBM, Down On The Farm, and other that could be rotated (would love to think they had rehearsed Civil War, Estranged, Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime etc and make every show unpredictable)

Doesnt really bother me, id go and see GNR nonetheless.
sandman83
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »

Everyones got their opinions of what they want to hear, I would prefer atleast 50% or more to be of the old stuff.  I love CD but I wouldn't be a GN'R fan just from CD.  I'm a huge fan because of the old stuff.  I think Axl should just go with the flow and feel the energy of the crowd and choose what songs to play and add in as the show goes.  What ever happens, it will be alwesome!
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »

Everyones got their opinions of what they want to hear, I would prefer atleast 50% or more to be of the old stuff.  I love CD but I wouldn't be a GN'R fan just from CD.  I'm a huge fan because of the old stuff.  I think Axl should just go with the flow and feel the energy of the crowd and choose what songs to play and add in as the show goes.  What ever happens, it will be alwesome!

i agree with sandman83
The band should play the songs they feel is right... some new, some old.. even some cool jams/covers... But i sure hope to hear This i Love live sometime, because i think that will be an awesome experience!! But the more the band eager to play the one song, or the other, the better energy!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: